3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

What do you think is the most realistic Gta game

Guest Billy Russo

GTA IV is by far the most realistic. The driving alone was more refined and better than anything we've ever seen in a GTA game, although with that came a lot of people hating on it. Also the way Niko interacts with NPC's was way ahead of V, especially in hand-to-hand combat. 

It feels to me like Rockstar made V more arcade style to appeal to more people, but I wish they had kept realistic physics like IV. The cars just aren't as fun to drive in V for me, because a lot of the time it just feels like the exact same experience with a new skin.

billiejoearmstrong8

V has the most realistic graphics, IV is the most realistic in almost every other conceivable way. The attention to detail and feeling of realism they crafted in IV is incredible.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
  • Like 3
21 hours ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

V has the most realistic graphics, IV is the most realistic in almost every other conceivable way. The attention to detail and feeling of realism they crafted in IV is incredible.

V’s graphics do not look realistic though. Not the graphics themselves, it’s the way Rockstar have saturated the image with this very unnatural looking sheen. It’s like those mods that make everything too shiny and reflective and think it makes things look more real. 

• Like 3
Guest Billy Russo
2 hours ago, Cheatz/Trickz said:

V’s graphics do not look realistic though. Not the graphics themselves, it’s the way Rockstar have saturated the image with this very unnatural looking sheen. It’s like those mods that make everything too shiny and reflective and think it makes things look more real. 

I have to agree. Although the roads in GTA V are fantastic, they have little details and marks on them which I appreciate. I've always thought they looked pretty damn real.

billiejoearmstrong8
11 hours ago, Cheatz/Trickz said:

I dunno I think it's kind of both. I think the graphics are as realistic as they could make them but doing them in that certain overly clean/shiny way is more of an aesthetic choice and an attempt to add to how realistic it looks. I think even if that does the opposite and it could've looked even more realistic with that aspect toned down, it still looks the most realistic out of GTA game graphics.

It doesn't look as impressive now that there's years of newer games with increasingly better and better graphics in that same clean/shiny type of style (which is one of the problems with doing the graphics that way - slightly less realistic but more stylised/distinctive graphics can hold up better over time). But when it was first out I was blown away by how realistic it looked, especially the natural environment. IV's graphics are my favourite and very impressive in their own ways but I won't pretend they look as realistic as V's. 

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8

Obviously GTA IV.

Where other games might contain realistic elements they're not consistently realistic. I like the "realism" in GTA IV because it manages to get the right balance where it's not overly intrusive. R* wanted to make the game less cartoony than its predecessors, but without all the rigors of actual real life.

It looks and feels realistic without ever being too realistic if you get me.

The most realistic one in terms of gameplay? GTA SA. Large map, realistic objects on it, lots of activities to do.

GTA 4 and GTA 5 are more realistic for when you're taking a screenshot, in other words you can get a more realistic screenshot in GTA 5 than you would in GTA SA, but the moment you start to play that illusion falls apart.

Guest Billy Russo
9 hours ago, Lioshenka said:

The most realistic one in terms of gameplay? GTA SA. Large map, realistic objects on it, lots of activities to do.

GTA 4 and GTA 5 are more realistic for when you're taking a screenshot, in other words you can get a more realistic screenshot in GTA 5 than you would in GTA SA, but the moment you start to play that illusion falls apart.

Interesting take. Not seen many people that think SA is realistic, I think it's too outlandish to be realistic. Not in a bad way, but I wouldn't say I ever felt immersed whilst playing GTA SA. It was really over the top at times, and I loved that, but it certainly wasn't very realistic. I'd say the most immersive aspect of SA back then was the map, getting lost in the countryside was great and it really felt as though I was going on these grand journeys.

How does the illusion fall apart in IV and V for you? I thought IV was really immersive getting lost in the city streets and the driving being the truest to real life it has been. Plus, walking around Liberty City felt really true to NYC, one of the only GTA games where I enjoyed walking around.

3 hours ago, Billy Russo said:

Interesting take. Not seen many people that think SA is realistic, I think it's too outlandish to be realistic. Not in a bad way, but I wouldn't say I ever felt immersed whilst playing GTA SA. It was really over the top at times, and I loved that, but it certainly wasn't very realistic. I'd say the most immersive aspect of SA back then was the map, getting lost in the countryside was great and it really felt as though I was going on these grand journeys.

There are parts of San Andreas that try to be realistic like eating, dating, working out etc (When you look at the principle. Not implementation), but when you consider how over the top the rest of the game is any sense of "realism" is quickly shattered. Besides I thought the very reason people loved San Andreas was that it's the opposite of being "realistic"? 

I agree despite the fact I don't like the game the only sense of immersion I got was travelling across the map and from city to city. The only 3D era GTA III that feels somewhat realistic is GTA III and that's mostly because it's void of alot of the silly and context breaking features San Andreas introduced later on. 

• Like 2

Yes, Grand Theft Auto 1, Grand Theft Auto III and IV are by far the most realistic games in the series. The game doesn't need to be like The Sims to be realistic, it needs a believable story, characters, vehicles and settings. While Grand Theft Auto 1 has believable vehicles and settings, Grand Theft Auto III has all of these, but Grand Theft Auto IV is the most realistic one - it has everything, but better, and on top of that great graphics and physics .

It's nearly impossible to be immersed while playing 2D or 3D Era Grand Theft Auto games, sadly this also applies to Grand Theft Auto V. Whenever I want to immerse myself into the world of Los Santos and Southern San Andreas something stupid happens, like - for real, it's crazy - I can't take this game seriously, even when I want to.

Edited by Ronald Reagan
  • Like 2
On 11/13/2019 at 12:11 AM, Billy Russo said:

How does the illusion fall apart in IV and V for you? I thought IV was really immersive getting lost in the city streets and the driving being the truest to real life it has been. Plus, walking around Liberty City felt really true to NYC, one of the only GTA games where I enjoyed walking around.

My answer would actually be along the lines of what you said.

The realism of SA for me mostly comes from the large, vast map. The storyline helps to maintain that illusion e.g. when you are dropped off in Angel Pine or when The Truth takes you to San Fierro. You can drive from the Gant Bridge to Hanky Panky point and the journey feels fairly realistic, with the different landscapes blending into each other seamlessly and naturally as you travel. In addition, there are certain weather conditions that would enhance this e.g. heavy rain or sunrise effects although fairly dated still look more realistic than the ones in GTA 4 or 5 to me. I would agree that the cities now don't feel as realistic as they did 15 years ago, but the countryside still does, at least for me. Then there's a whole lot of side activities, which you don't have to do, but sometimes it's nice to pop in for a pizza as you're driving past a diner.

The reasons GTA 4 realism quickly falls apart from me: when the game world isn't covered in that bizzare brown shade, the colours are all washed out and blurry. Combined with the boat-like car handling and Niko's pretend Serbian, inability to do a lot of tasks that were available to us in the previous games it fails to maintain the sense of realism for me long enough to fully immerse in it. What I absolutely love about GTA 4 is a rainy evening atmosphere. I think R* nailed this - but sadly, it doesn't last very long.

GTA 5 suffers from the same problem - mainly, despite the size of the map it doesn't feel big. It's urbanised, there is a dwelling on almost any hill or in the deepest of forests, the colours still don't feel right - surely it shouldn't be that hard to make the colours look more like a real life? There's a lot of little objects here and there and side missions, but the map design is really poor (the circular road from LS to LS deserves a mention), and overall It fails to even create a feeling of realism to me. It just feels goofy and unnatural regardless of what you do or where you are.

There's been a recent study (by the University of Bristol, I believe), that proved that people were happier in the past - they looked all the way back to the 1700s. One of the reasons for it, I believe, applies to GTAs: back then people had fewer expectations and even small things made them happy. GTA SA didn't try to be realistic, and in not doing so it managed to create this idealised world that felt natural. With GTA 4 and GTA 5 Rockstar made an ambitious claim to create realistic worlds, and I think this is where it went wrong. You expect more from the games, and then you feel greater disappointment than you would if you had low expectations to start with.

To give you some background: I was born in an Asian city, but spent half of my life living in a European countryside. I therefore think that GTA 3 has the most realistic city of the series, and GTA SA has the most realistic countryside based on my own experience. Driving around these in-game worlds gives me the sense of immersion and allows me to relate with the map/world by being a fairly accurate representations of the environments and activities that I am familiar with. GTA 4 and 5 may as well be perfect representations of NY and LA respectively, but I can't be a judge of that.

Edited by Lioshenka
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Gta 4 because once I got shot in the chest but once I had a hotdog I was all better!!!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, universetwisters said:

Gta 4 because once I got shot in the chest but once I had a hotdog I was all better!!!

Atleast it's better than running through a floating heart icon and getting magically healed that way.

Clearly GTA IV had to make some affordances for gameplay purposes because at the end of the day it's still a video game, but as I said above it's realistic enough without being too realistic. I've always found it interesting how developers come up with their own way of dealing with this though aka health//injury. Some games have health regeneration, in The Getaway you had to lean up against surfaces to heal yourself, in later GTA games it's food/health packs etc.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, SonOfLiberty said:

Atleast it's better than running through a floating heart icon and getting magically healed that way.

Clearly GTA IV had to make some affordances for gameplay purposes because at the end of the day it's still a video game, but as I said above it's realistic enough without being too realistic. I've always found it interesting how developers come up with their own way of dealing with this though aka health//injury. Some games have health regeneration, in The Getaway you had to lean up against surfaces to heal yourself, in later GTA games it's food/health packs etc.

Honestly I like how the getaway did the health regeneration. I just wish there was a health bar to show you how bad you really were but oh well, f*cking artsy British people 

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
1funeral2many

gta london '69 cuz its straight up london and not a fictionalized version of it, and if im not mistaken that cars in that game are supposed to be 1:1 replicas of real life cars (or at least as close the devs could do with the hardware of the time). other than that 4 for sure

GTA 5 is the most realistic

The voice acting really shows some realistic emotions than IV

In GTA 5, the military, police, firemen and paramedics got realistic uniforms and realistic actions

The voice acting and scripts of the cops is fantastic

GTA 5...

"THIS IS THE LSPD...PULL OVER AN NO ONE WILL GET HURT"

"SUSPECT IS HEADING SOUTHWEST!"

"...copy that.."

"Dispatch, we got eyes on the target..."

in GTA IV...

The cops will be just there relaxing even he sees your holding an AK47 and aiming it to an innocent citizen wtf