4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

How to make AA look less like AIDS

Shanki

1 hour ago, Ghetzi said:

This is how I interpreted the CP settings.  I assume this means to turn off anisotropic off in the game settings (as it's on in the cp).  I'm sure OP will clarify...

https://imgur.com/a/2nTb6dK

At 1440p, I don't see much of a difference but this may work for 1080p better.  Going to bench and see if there's any significant change in FPS, but it's definitely worth playing around with.

Thanks man. This configuration makes 1080p resolution less blurry?

At a quick glance the control panel settings in the picture posted look correct. I did leave anisotropic on in the game, but I don't think that makes a difference. I also play in 1080p and at least with my setup there is no major fps loss vs using the other method. I don't want to over sell it but I think it looks better. To the people that tried it do you notice a difference?

1 hour ago, kay0 said:

Changing these settings in NVCP doesn't apply to Vulkan games.

If that's the case, it's a no go as DX12 tanks fps for me.  I knew the sharpener wasn't supported via the CP with Vulkan (although it works fine with GExperience), but I didn't realize that meant other settings in CP won't work with Vulkan, either.

1 hour ago, P3REiRAA said:

Thanks man. This configuration makes 1080p resolution less blurry?

I couldn't say from first-hand experience as I'm running 1440p, but that seems to be the case for OP.  No hurt in testing yourself and letting everyone know if you see a difference, as well.

Guys at 1080p any form of AA will look good. At 4k, there is no need for all these complications. just TAA ingame Medium, TAA Sharpening slider max and Nvidia sharpen 0.40. game looks incredible with minimal blur.

52 minutes ago, scorpgul said:

Guys at 1080p any form of AA will look good. At 4k, there is no need for all these complications. just TAA ingame Medium, TAA Sharpening slider max and Nvidia sharpen 0.40. game looks incredible with minimal blur.

That is still the best solution for me, but it's interesting to experiment with suggestions from others.

On 11/22/2019 at 8:07 AM, scorpgul said:

I plat at 4k and MSAA is absolutely useless in this game, even at max. Loads of aliasing everywhere, weird shimmering not to mention it wrecks framerate. The most razor sharp image with 0 aliasing I got was using TAA Medium, maximum TAA Sharpening slider with nvidia sharpening at 0.70. No FXAA(I don't see why you would be using FXAA on top of TAA lol. At 4k, it is absolutely not needed and results in even more blur...) The Ignore film grain does nothing in this game. Now this might be too sharp for some people but anything lower than 0.70 klooks blurry for me. I hate blurriness in games, it hides the small details.

What are your system specs, monitor also please? 

For those who use image sharpening, it has been added to Vulkan with today's NVIDIA 441.41 Game Ready driver.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/halo-reach-game-ready-driver/

17 minutes ago, Spider-Vice said:

For those who use image sharpening, it has been added to Vulkan with today's NVIDIA 441.41 Game Ready driver.

Am I mistaken, or are you forced to install the Geforce experience with this driver? From the Nvidia drivers website where you enter your system info to download the file, during the custom install the Geforce box is checked but greyed out.

8 minutes ago, D1rtyD1g1tal said:

Am I mistaken, or are you forced to install the Geforce experience with this driver? From the Nvidia drivers website where you enter your system info to download the file, during the custom install the Geforce box is checked but greyed out.

Prior to the custom install options you can select Experience & the driver or just the driver.  Try selecting driver only, worked for me.

7 minutes ago, Ghetzi said:

Prior to the custom install options you can select Experience & the driver or just the driver.  Try selecting driver only, worked for me.

Yeah, you're right, I didn't see the option the first time.

54 minutes ago, Spider-Vice said:

With Vulkan still giving me far better fps, not having to use Experience for the sharpener anymore is a huge plus.  I didn't benchmark after the last update, unfortunately, but after installing the new driver and dumping Experience, I got a very healthy fps boost.  Not sure if it was the latest patch, the driver, dumping Experience, or a combination of them all, but fps are up big time for me.

On 11/26/2019 at 10:47 AM, Ghetzi said:

With Vulkan still giving me far better fps, not having to use Experience for the sharpener anymore is a huge plus.  I didn't benchmark after the last update, unfortunately, but after installing the new driver and dumping Experience, I got a very healthy fps boost.  Not sure if it was the latest patch, the driver, dumping Experience, or a combination of them all, but fps are up big time for me.

Whats the best sharpening settings to use in control panel for the game at 1080p?

21 minutes ago, Armerius said:

Whats the best sharpening settings to use in control panel for the game at 1080p?

I think it's pretty subjective.  I run 0.45 but that's on 1440p.  I think a few others on this thread were on 1080p, might want to look back on previous pages.

5 hours ago, Armerius said:

In 1080p its impossible, too much blurry. The only option i found is turn scale resolution to 1.250, TAA Medium and maybe Sharpening 0.40. Its better then MSAA 2x.

Gpu: GTX 1070.

Monitor: 1080p 24'.

I just gave up on this matter. no matter what I do i cant achieve "acceptable" grahpics in 1080p. 

1080p is dead I guess. i shold've guessed games would be like this. there are tons of gpus that destroys 1440p and 4k and those cards are basically hard future proof for 1080p. just take example of a gtx 1070. it could go on for like 3-4 years at @1080p.

but it seems that they don't want that. so they force you to upscale your resolution to counter act this bullsh*t TAA. so of course 1070 won't gonna handle 1440p. 

even 1440p + taa is not enough. 4k + taa is just a bare minimum for a "normal crisp 1080p" visuals.

Edited by yamaci17
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, yamaci17 said:

I just gave up on this matter. no matter what I do i cant achieve "acceptable" grahpics in 1080p. 

1080p is dead I guess. i shold've guessed games would be like this. there are tons of gpus that destroys 1440p and 4k and those cards are basically hard future proof for 1080p. just take example of a gtx 1070. it could go on for like 3-4 years at @1080p.

but it seems that they don't want that. so they force you to upscale your resolution to counter act this bullsh*t TAA. so of course 1070 won't gonna handle 1440p. 

even 1440p + taa is not enough. 4k + taa is just a bare minimum for a "normal crisp 1080p" visuals.

i just use nvidia sharpening and im playing at 1080p with no problems

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, wasd said:

i just use nvidia sharpening and im playing at 1080p with no problems

Sorry but sharpening is not for my taste. It destroys the game's visuality for me. Can't get my eyes used to it. 

It works fine in some other games, such as Modern Warfare, where there's not much foliage.

But sharpeners makes the already mushy foliage even worse. For me of course, your experience may differ.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, yamaci17 said:

Sorry but sharpening is not for my taste. It destroys the game's visuality for me. Can't get my eyes used to it. 

It works fine in some other games, such as Modern Warfare, where there's not much foliage.

But sharpeners makes the already mushy foliage even worse. For me of course, your experience may differ.

I feel the same. In the foliage and vegetation its horrible.

Edited by P3REiRAA

At night you can see almost no blurryness

1 hour ago, wasd said:

i think it depends on the monitor also, im using a benq xl24 144hz.

does it look worse than this? here in the video it looks worse than it is.

https://streamable.com/qlyk7

1 hour ago, wasd said:

i think it depends on the monitor also, im using a benq xl24 144hz.

does it look worse than this? here in the video it looks worse than it is.

https://streamable.com/qlyk7

See my video: