4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

How to make AA look less like AIDS

Shanki

24 minutes ago, (Vip)Met said:

I don't know if it's already been said, I currently can't read the whole thread cause I'm at work, but you CAN use Nvidia Freestyle on Vulkan, BUT the Nvidia overlay kills a little bit the framerate for me, 3/4 fps less (sometimes even more). A small amount amount you would say but it's very noticable while riding into towns.

My PC: Ryzen 5 3600 RTX 2060 Super 16GB 3200MHz, and giving that this game is weirdly optimized, I can't really reach 70 fps in towns, sometimes it drops at 55/50 with the Nvidia overlay on.

Do you play on ultra?

I Tested it a lot.Like others said TAA on medium plus FXAA with the TAA sharpening bar in game full gives the best image quality....As for the settings on Nvidia Freestyle  i use 40% sharpening...i left the other option as it is...u must find a balance between blurriness and sharpness...There is not a perfect adjustment when u use TAA .Either u ll have blurriness or oversharpening ...For me and for my eyes a 40% sharpening on freestyle gives me  blur that i can tolerate.More than 40% reduces blur more but its the point that makes the textures look weird .

Can't get the game stable on DX12 so I had to install Experience for the sharpener tool on Vulkan, but man what a difference it makes.  TAA on high, sharpen to 50% was the sweet spot for me.  Thanks for the tips!  

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Ghetzi said:

Can't get the game stable on DX12 so I had to install Experience for the sharpener tool on Vulkan, but man what a difference it makes.  TAA on high, sharpen to 50% was the sweet spot for me.  Thanks for the tips!  

1080p?

17 hours ago, Koltos said:

If you are playing more than 1080p try to change your resolution to 1080p and push scale parameter.

It will be more clear image

This is a terrible idea. Not only does the image look worse it also performs a lot worse.

Been playing around with a lot of settings myself and thanks for pointing out the use of the image sharpening in the Nvidia control panel settings. Even though I have the sharpening at max in-game for TAA, it's still too blurry, so using Nvidia's as well will hopefully be what I need. I haven't tested it yet but will do soon. I find MSAA is very demanding and not using any AA at all is way to jaggy. So using TAA on medium is my only option. Using a i9 9900K & 1080TI, I find that it is still a demanding game. I prefer frame-rate over quality primarily, so have a lot of settings on medium but Textures on Ultra as I play in 2K with G-sync and 165Hz. It looks quite smooth. BTW, i'm using DX12 in case anyone was wondering. 

3 hours ago, Machorob said:

This is a terrible idea. Not only does the image look worse it also performs a lot worse.

Worse?) LOL scale parameter made all in-game resolution better.
And soap effect will be gone for sure.

with x2.000 in 1080p it is 4K experience. But with such scale GPU will die)

Actually wtf is going on with MSAA and FXAA? I play with TAA and like it fine but I tried the other settings just to see how it was and it's really strange. Using 4x MSAA looks like no AA at all on my end, at first I thought it might be some exotic tech for the alpha planes but it's everywhere.

This really isn't how either of these rendering techniques should look like.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, tjakal said:

Actually wtf is going on with MSAA and FXAA? I play with TAA and like it fine but I tried the other settings just to see how it was and it's really strange. Using 4x MSAA looks like no AA at all on my end, at first I thought it might be some exotic tech for the alpha planes but it's everywhere.

This really isn't how either of these rendering techniques should look like.

I have hope they will fix AA options. Or at least I will wait for ReShade support in Nvidia.

I plat at 4k and MSAA is absolutely useless in this game, even at max. Loads of aliasing everywhere, weird shimmering not to mention it wrecks framerate. The most razor sharp image with 0 aliasing I got was using TAA Medium, maximum TAA Sharpening slider with nvidia sharpening at 0.70. No FXAA(I don't see why you would be using FXAA on top of TAA lol. At 4k, it is absolutely not needed and results in even more blur...) The Ignore film grain does nothing in this game. Now this might be too sharp for some people but anything lower than 0.70 klooks blurry for me. I hate blurriness in games, it hides the small details.

Edited by scorpgul
1 hour ago, scorpgul said:

I plat at 4k and MSAA is absolutely useless in this game, even at max. Loads of aliasing everywhere, weird shimmering not to mention it wrecks framerate. The most razor sharp image with 0 aliasing I got was using TAA Medium, maximum TAA Sharpening slider with nvidia sharpening at 0.70. No FXAA(I don't see why you would be using FXAA on top of TAA lol. At 4k, it is absolutely not needed and results in even more blur...) The Ignore film grain does nothing in this game. Now this might be too sharp for some people but anything lower than 0.70 klooks blurry for me. I hate blurriness in games, it hides the small details.

I agree and dumped MSAA as well.  Too much of a hit and TAA medium with the sharpener is better for me at both 1440p & 4k anyway.  It's all subjective (I use 0.45) but that sharpener makes a huge difference. 

Edited by Ghetzi
1 hour ago, scorpgul said:

I plat at 4k and MSAA is absolutely useless in this game, even at max. Loads of aliasing everywhere, weird shimmering not to mention it wrecks framerate.

There's clearly something wrong with it, resolution scaling worked just as expected but multisampling drives down my framerates while presenting a image with no AA at all. The weird shimmering on the ground is caused by the AO unless you have it set to ultra, temporial really hides that well if you use a lower setting. Most here seem to be on nVidia but it happens on AMD too, which is what I'm on. Not supposed to look like that at all, clearly broken atm so expect it to be patched.

3 hours ago, Ghetzi said:

It's all subjective (I use 0.45) but that sharpener makes a huge difference. 

Actually I went back and tested 0.45 and you are right. 0.70 looks a tad too sharp. i am now using 0.45 as well. the game looks incredible at 4k with TAA Medium, Taa Sharpening slider maxed and Nvidia sharpening 0.45 :)

2 hours ago, tjakal said:

There's clearly something wrong with it, resolution scaling worked just as expected but multisampling drives down my framerates while presenting a image with no AA at all. The weird shimmering on the ground is caused by the AO unless you have it set to ultra, temporial really hides that well if you use a lower setting. Most here seem to be on nVidia but it happens on AMD too, which is what I'm on. Not supposed to look like that at all, clearly broken atm so expect it to be patched.

Yes indeed. The MSAA seems to not do anything. Definitely broken. And I am using all shadow options Ultra and without AA, there is still grainy shimmering all over the place which surprisingly yes TAA completely remopves so TAA with sharpening/nviodia sharpening is the only way.

So we all know that using TAA game settings (and possibly FXAA) + GPU sharpening makes the game look better.... Well, I've been using the Nvidia control panel settings as follows...16x anisotropic filtering + FXAA + antialiasing mode = override + 8x & 8x + MFAA + game settings TAA medium with zero sharpening and the game looks much better. Things don't get blurry when you move, compared to just using game settings and or Nvidia sharpening settings.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, D1rtyD1g1tal said:

So we all know that using TAA game settings (and possibly FXAA) + GPU sharpening makes the game look better.... Well, I've been using the Nvidia control panel settings as follows...16x anisotropic filtering + FXAA + antialiasing mode = override + 8x & 8x + MFAA + game settings TAA medium with zero sharpening and the game looks much better. Things don't get blurry when you move, compared to just using game settings and or Nvidia sharpening settings.

Interesting.  To clarify for my own good, "8x & 8x" in the CP refers to AA - Setting and AA - Transparency, I assume?  Also, I noticed that when I enable Anisotropic to 16x, "Texture Filtering - Anisotropic sample" remains Off, but "Texture Filtering - Negative LOD bias" switches from Allow to Clamp.  Are those good or should I adjust anything there. I don't have a lot of experience with the CP and want to make sure I'm testing these settings properly.  Thanks for the ideas!  

5 hours ago, D1rtyD1g1tal said:

Can you post a print of your Nvidia Settings and Ingame Settings? I dont understanding "override" or "8x and 8x" or "MFAA".

28 minutes ago, P3REiRAA said:

Can you post a print of your Nvidia Settings and Ingame Settings? I dont understanding "override" or "8x and 8x" or "MFAA".

This is how I interpreted the CP settings.  I assume this means to turn off anisotropic off in the game settings (as it's on in the cp).  I'm sure OP will clarify...

https://imgur.com/a/2nTb6dK

At 1440p, I don't see much of a difference but this may work for 1080p better.  Going to bench and see if there's any significant change in FPS, but it's definitely worth playing around with.

1 hour ago, Ghetzi said:

This is how I interpreted the CP settings.  I assume this means to turn off anisotropic off in the game settings (as it's on in the cp).  I'm sure OP will clarify...

https://imgur.com/a/2nTb6dK

At 1440p, I don't see much of a difference but this may work for 1080p better.  Going to bench and see if there's any significant change in FPS, but it's definitely worth playing around with.

Changing these settings in NVCP doesn't apply to Vulkan games.