Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Gameplay
      3. Missions
      4. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Gameplay
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
      4. Frontier Pursuits
    1. Crews & Posses

      1. Recruitment
    2. Events

    1. GTA Online

      1. Diamond Casino & Resort
      2. DLC
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Grand Theft Auto Series

    3. GTA 6

    4. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    5. GTA IV

      1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA IV Mods
    6. GTA Chinatown Wars

    7. GTA Vice City Stories

    8. GTA Liberty City Stories

    9. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA SA Mods
    10. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA VC Mods
    11. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA III Mods
    12. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    13. Wiki

      1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption

    2. Rockstar Games

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

    2. Forum Support

    3. Site Suggestions

Spider-Vice

RDR2 PC First Story Impressions

Recommended Posts

Spider-Vice

Among the performance criticisms and other complaints, where some have an unplayable game and others can play it fine, let's hear what are your impressions on RDR2 as a PC player, in terms of the game itself and NOT the performance. 

 

Any performance posts should be posted in appropriate threads or the general reactions thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vrock_wave

I played it for the first time and it's too boring for me, I literally fall asleep from her

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RuskiChleb
2 minutes ago, Vrock_wave said:

I played it for the first time and it's too boring for me, I literally fall asleep from her

same sh*t with rdr1 - start of these two games are just slow, thats why its not a game for everyone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyuNova

Having completed it twice I may seem a little biased but I don't understand how people can find it boring, I was hooked since the first cutscene right until the end. The game honestly does get better and better. Its like a TV show, start slow as to not overpower people and keep getting better until you get to the huge season ender.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GN 92

Most people who find it boring are hardcore COD/Battlefield players. They can't play something slow paced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cp1dell

@GN 92 Or regular GTA fans who though "Oh, GTA with horses!" haha.

 

Think about how RDR2 starts, compared to where GTA V starts with a bank robbery and then a high speed cruise through the city. I'm not knocking RDR2's opening or gameplay/story, but you can't tell yourself "Oh it's by the guys who do GTA, this'll be just as crazy and high-octane!" Two totally different games, with different paces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tuur

Really can’t understand why people find it boring, loved every second of the first chapter! Love the atmosphere, the music, the time, etc.  Would love when quentin tarantino would get involved sometime. It almost reaches that level sometimes. For the people who find this boring, get back to mariokart!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mustyfacecloth
3 hours ago, RyuNova said:

Having completed it twice I may seem a little biased but I don't understand how people can find it boring, I was hooked since the first cutscene right until the end. The game honestly does get better and better. Its like a TV show, start slow as to not overpower people and keep getting better until you get to the huge season ender.

They have to teach the player a large number of mechanics, set up the story of the game, and manage to tie those two in together.  Imo it only makes sense that it'd be slow, there's a lot to learn and take in.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyuNova
7 minutes ago, Mustyfacecloth said:

They have to teach the player a large number of mechanics, set up the story of the game, and manage to tie those two in together.  Imo it only makes sense that it'd be slow, there's a lot to learn and take in.  

 

Like a TV show, They need to set the world up, they need to set the scene, introduce the characters in a steady manner, have you realise favourites etc.

RDR2 is not just a video game, it is art. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Armerius
3 hours ago, Vrock_wave said:

I played it for the first time and it's too boring for me, I literally fall asleep from her

Brute force it till chapter 2 then the game opens up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyuNova
2 hours ago, Armerius said:

Brute force it till chapter 2 then the game opens up. 

 

The game opens up the moment you get to Horseshoe Overlook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gwozdek

How much food/ammo/medicine do I have to bring to the camp to make it enough? I bring to Pearson some animals (big ones, don't remember the names in English :D) once for 2-3 days and icons are always red.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArthurMorganRDR

I really hated the prologue, it was boring i almost fell asleep now i'm at chapter two and it is more fun now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlackScout

Prologue was slow as f*ck... Slowly getting to enjoy the game despite the technical issues. Arthur is a pretty funny and charismatic character and I like it. In fact, all the characters seem fun and enjoyable.

I just haven't played much of the story yet. Technical issues are just bringing my motivation down, which is a shame. Looks like an amazing game.

 

Also, Poker. I just can't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seldo

I love it. The world's beautiful and I even liked Chapter 1.

I'm now somewhere in chapter 2. 

Storie's nice and animations are fantastic. Lots of refinements from RDR1, such as how he gets on the horse, the kicks, etc.

 

The slow guns (slower than RDR1) can be destabilising, and I'm always hope they will be a tad faster. 

The world feels alive and I like that. Much more small animals, and no just deers or horses. I actually like the learn system, it makes you run after an animal and then end up in a place you weren't looking for. 

I'm surprised that there is so far not so much shooting, but mor ehanging out missions (I've done something like 13?). 

Its definitely a different mood than the first one. 

 

What i don't get is the money system. I feel I'm rich ($350), but I don't buy much. I haven't robbed anybody either beyond missions. 

Same goes for the cores. My horse cores are almost blocked. My dead eye is always red, my stamina always full and my life somewhere in between and drops fast in shoutouts (but almost not in fights). 

 

Same me goes for the camp and the red icons. Seems that wether I do it or not, the game just runs the same. 

Ivd spent some time in the camp. Why are some activities displayed but locked? Is it the wrong time to do them, do they unlock later? The game makes me wonder what's going on. 

 

The first chapter was very atmospheric with fog, and I am still waiting for that to happen more in Chapter 2 (got it once after being drunk in a bar and waking up in the nature).

 

Controls are ok, having played RDR1 before. I'm not yet used to recoil though. 

The tracking system for animals/view things to pick feels a weird blend of The Witcher and the Tomb Raider reboot serie. I kind of feel it's a cheat. 

 

Looking forward to continue playing it tomorrow!

Edited by seldo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Xerukal
2 hours ago, BlackScout said:

Prologue was slow as f*ck... Slowly getting to enjoy the game despite the technical issues. Arthur is a pretty funny and charismatic character and I like it. In fact, all the characters seem fun and enjoyable.

I just haven't played much of the story yet. Technical issues are just bringing my motivation down, which is a shame. Looks like an amazing game.

 

Also, Poker. I just can't.

Arthur really is a special character. You'll love him even more once you hopefully get to play the game in a more stable state.

 

I don't really know if my first impressions count, since I did play on console, but I just find myself soaking up a lot of the story details. Because I know how it all concludes, I feel a sort of relief that I can just stop and pay attention to details. Especially the many bits of foreshadowing. 

 

I've always felt that RDR2's story is Rockstar's best in recent memory. Playing it again on PC has just reaffirmed that. And the prologue was perfect, for my tastes. If we put aside the abysmal first impression of performance. :p 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spider-Vice

I also found the prologue slow but I didn't mind it as it was clearly a way of contextualising the story, a bit of a slow build I shall say. Since I got to Horseshoe Overlook things have been great, I love every single one of the characters, they're funny, have interesting stories, and Arthur is a hell of a character I see myself caring about. The camp interactions and NPC interactions are some of the best I've ever seen in a videogame, because of how dynamic they are. Gunplay is great, the RPG elements aren't overbearing, and there's always something to do in the world that can affect the story positively or negatively (or your honour).

 

PRETTY BOAH? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Spoiler

Kieran should've gotten his balls cut off, he seems a bit annoying. Also thanks for the gun, Colm.

 

Also, the UI text changing as you got drunker and drunker with Lenny, that was awesome. Extremely funny mission.

 

Really suffering from RDR2 withdrawal now as I have stuff to do far from my PC this whole week...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedIndianRobin

Looks like I am the only guy here who loved that prologue. People need to get this: This isn't GTA with horses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hero Of Gallowmere

I'm in chapter 2 right now and I gotta say that I am absolutely in love with this game.

 

The game is so beautiful sometimes it's like i'm staring at a moving photo.

 

Completed a bunch of bounties,then found some guy with a messed up arm who asked me to take him to the Doctor in Saint Denis(playing in Russian so I hope I got the town name right).

 

I've never there before so when I arrived my jaw literally dropped.

Spent about an hour walking around and talking to every person I met.

 

And then my game crashed...

And again...

And again.

 

Hey Rockstar why you gotta ruin peoples first impression of the game?

 

Get your sh*t together it's not like you don't have the resources and the man power.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nalp

here is my impression

 

7M3RzMO.png

 

its not a good one, unplayable, and an hour later the pc start's to boot loop what a f*ck, pc into the store, let's see when i have the pc again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seldo
8 hours ago, Spider-Vice said:

and there's always something to do in the world that can affect the story positively or negatively (or your honour).

Everything keeps getting + and - in honour, feels strange.

There was a dude that got attacked. Killed attackers, no change in honour, looted him, - in honour.

 

I got caught in a hold-up crossing a covered bridge yesterday.

That was really exciting! But then dispose of the bodies to not get caught... wasn't I attacked, with nobody around? How could low know?

Feels like I was in Splinter Cell for a few minutes.

 

I was too close to a sheriff carriage. I defused the situation then moved away. They started shooting at me, I continued running away, not replying back.

I got a $5 bounty for that.

 

I like the people who come to you and ask you to leave if you are on their properties. I was patting a dog in a small farm with fields (and no looting). The dude came out of the fields and asked me to go.

I defused, left, started shooting at me (but didn't reply). Why shooting?

 

That dude that came from Mexico for shooting, who asks me to shoot bottles with him.

I lose then he complains I didn't give him his due and starts shooting at me. Did I miss anything here?

 

It kind of doesn't want me to no interact with NPC at time, due to the risk of losing honour.

I feel I am stalling with + - + - ...

 

 

6 hours ago, RedIndianRobin said:

Looks like I am the only guy here who loved that prologue. People need to get this: This isn't GTA with horses. 

I liked the prologue! And it was a true prologue, not a one-mission intro like GTA V.

And that snow storm omg..

Edited by seldo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyuNova

I think @Spider-Vice nailed it. The game is incredibly well written, the characters are varied and interesting and Arthur is a complex character that you want to get to know.

 

It's like the first seasons of an epic like Game of Thrones. You have favorites, you will laugh and you will love.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dieseltech20
49 minutes ago, RyuNova said:

I think @Spider-Vice nailed it. The game is incredibly well written, the characters are varied and interesting and Arthur is a complex character that you want to get to know.

 

It's like the first seasons of an epic like Game of Thrones. You have favorites, you will laugh and you will love.

 

 

And you will cry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crocodile Hunter
8 hours ago, seldo said:

There was a dude that got attacked. Killed attackers, no change in honour, looted him, - in honour.

looting civilian NPC bodies lowers honour most of the time  only a few exceptions where it doesn't, when it has to do with a side mission or something and you have to grab something off the persons body.

8 hours ago, seldo said:

I got caught in a hold-up crossing a covered bridge yesterday.

That was really exciting! But then dispose of the bodies to not get caught... wasn't I attacked, with nobody around? How could low know?

Feels like I was in Splinter Cell for a few minutes.

Staying around a crime scene will eventually get people suspicious  and since they don't know what happen theyll just assume you committed murder.

 

 

Edited by Crocodile Hunter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tonesta
21 hours ago, Gwozdek said:

How much food/ammo/medicine do I have to bring to the camp to make it enough? I bring to Pearson some animals (big ones, don't remember the names in English :D) once for 2-3 days and icons are always red.

So you may have already found this out.....but you don't turn the icons red to yellow/white by bringing stuff to Pearson.

 

You need to unlock the gang ledger - this is done through a mission that occurs in the early/middle stages of Chapter 2

Spoiler

It's the first Strauss debt collection mission

 

As someone who played on the console, it's fun seeing other people experiencing the game for the first time. Wish I could wipe my memory and go again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mustyfacecloth
Just now, Tonesta said:

As someone who played on the console, it's fun seeing other people experiencing the game for the first time. Wish I could wipe my memory and go again!

No kidding, I wish I had the willpower to not play it on console when it was released.  Would have been such a treat to experience it on PC for the first time.

 

Love reading through the reactions here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spider-Vice
26 minutes ago, Crocodile Hunter said:

Staying around a crime scene will eventually get people suspicious  and since they don't know what happen theyll just assume you committed murder.

 

Yeah this makes more sense, also, whenever that happens, your wanted level turns to "Investigating" so if you leave the red area even without hiding the bodies, you'll probably be safe, but if you stay around you will probably be accused instantly if you don't hide the bodies, and just suspected of if you hide them (because you're laying around).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Candy_Licker

 

2 hours ago, Mustyfacecloth said:

No kidding, I wish I had the willpower to not play it on console when it was released.  Would have been such a treat to experience it on PC for the first time.

 

Love reading through the reactions here.

Me too.

 

I can't play it yet, but when I saw the photo mode screenshots I nearly came 🎇  🤤

 

Man, I really hope my uncle get's a new rig soon so I can have his 1080. The wait was no problem when it was only on consoles, but now-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seldo
3 hours ago, Spider-Vice said:

Yeah this makes more sense, also, whenever that happens, your wanted level turns to "Investigating" so if you leave the red area even without hiding the bodies, you'll probably be safe, but if you stay around you will probably be accused instantly if you don't hide the bodies, and just suspected of if you hide them (because you're laying around).

Here I was on that wooden bridge in the forest, and most likely if I flew away, nobody would have know it is me.

Or maybe that was just a general advise for the rest of the game.

I guess I will never know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mhenkel

First time playing it was on release for consoles. And damn, I loved the first chapter! Now playing it again, but on PC for first time, It’s not as great as the first time on Xbox 1X. But I had to change settings and had crashes in the middle of first mission, which forced me to restart a few missions again. I think that Made it a bit less funny this time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • 2 Users Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 2 Guests

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.