Most reliable (early chapters) spot for Cougar spawn?

Hmmm Beer

Second play through and I'm free roaming as Arthur in chapter two. Have all I need for the legend satchel apart from a perfect cougar pelt. Have been searching for days. Anyone know of a reliable spawn location and ideally one when you can surprise it, rather than the other way round! 

Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...
TexasOdysseus

I've always had pretty reliable luck up by Brandywine Falls...just southwest of Willards Rest, and south of the railroad tracks. You can follow that main trail there or venture off just west of it and cougars show up pretty consistently. 

FrankNitti1886

If you follow the trail past Lake Owanjila and head north on that trail towards Big Valley. There is always a Cougar spawning there for me, just east from where the Trapper is 

There are also several spots near the Dakota river, close to Horseshoe Overlook, where a random event with a man on a tree being attacked by cougar can occur. That cougar is always 3-star. That's how I usually get my early cougar skin for the satchel.

Finally found one up the river north of Lake Owanjila. Perfect pelt and the Legend Satchel is now mine :)

Thanks guys. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
Tkayyy1018

Late but if you let the cougar random encounter by horseshoe play out.(let the cougar eat the feller hanging from the tree) you can rhe rndom event will spawn everytime you ride past that area. Clean bow shot, perfect pelt everytime