What is the main problem in Vice City?

Palacios007

Problems and issues  

133 members have voted

1. 1. what the main problem is

• The way we control Tommy
    • Graphics and sound effects
    • The lack of good characters
    • The size of the map (too short or too big)
    • History and drama (too bad or not good enough)

universetwisters
1 minute ago, testarossa 86 said:

but the whole neon light thing inside malls, yes it was a thing in the 80s, but it didn't get over the top like in those pictures until very very late 80s and early 90s.

[citation needed]

Idk I feel like people remember the neons at malls in the 90s because they were a leftover from the 80s, like how the floral stuff you mention + wood accents from the 80s were a leftover from clearly 70s styling. Nothing is truly modern

• Like 5

I voted how we control Tommy.  Maybe not entirely accurate.  But my issue is, this is Miami, that beach is gorgeous, the sun is glorious!  But we can't swim.  It's always been a sticking point, there's no where in San Andreas which compared to that beach, but we could swim.

• Like 1

For me it's the map. It's just not so good. The design of this Vice City is terrible, and it's just awfully small.

I don't think I have any complaints about Vice City, definitely a good classic. The main flaw of this game is probably the lack of swimming, that is all.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
PsyWarVeteran

Great game, my favorite out of all GTA's but it definitely has problems:

The story simply stops after a while and the game wants you to buy various businesses to continue. Buying businesses and seeing Tommy take over is great but their missions are too disjointed from the main story. Why does Tommy instantly try to rob a bank when buying Malibu? Why am I driving taxis around when Sonny is harrassing me time and time again and will surely come visit me soon?

The whole Love Fist and Bikers parts are also pointless, why does Tommy help Love Fist? I get he is trying to make money with the Malibu heist but what does helping people who clearly annoys him achieve?

The final mission blows, you hype up Sonny throught the game only to get rid of him without fanfare? The cutscene is great but when it ends Sonny is nowhere to be seen and you are teleported to your office somehow? I don't mind the mediocre Lance fight but Sonny? He simply shows up again and dies in seconds, that's it?

I would make it so when the Lance dies Sonny shows up with his men and when the men are shooting at Tommy, he escapes. Tommy runs after him and chases him around the mansion. How cool it would be to try to find him in the hedge maze while he is taunting at you, popping up, throwing grenades and disappearing again. And there isn't even a cutscene of neither antagonist dying, what a wasted opportunity.

• Like 4
Richie Makyura

I don't like some guns sfx, but graphics are fine, this and LC and VC Stories imo have better model faces than San Andreas for some reasons (too much pixels).

• 3 weeks later...
BrainDeadRaven

mine has always been about the lack of swimming, you are literally jumping on boats and racing, but if you fall in, that's it. Can take over a city, but can't so much as tread water, in a city surrounded by water. with water in between. 

1 hour ago, BrainDeadRaven said:

mine has always been about the lack of swimming, you are literally jumping on boats and racing, but if you fall in, that's it. Can take over a city, but can't so much as tread water, in a city surrounded by water. with water in between. 

I would choose the jokes and memes about not being able to swim over being able to swim

A world where Tommy can swim isn't just a world that I belong to

• KEKW 2
Lucas wester
4 hours ago, JaeDan 101 said:

The graphics, in my opinion

Umm how? its the same as III and SA

Just now, Lucas wester said:

Umm how? its the same as III and SA

you know what I mean

The map, as mentioned above. And if you would be able to swim I'd like the game more, kinda made me disappointed.. all the beaches and stuff and you can't even go swimming

The fact the beach covers the whole strip of land from top to bottom was always a thing for me. What I sometimes dislike in games like GTA is unused space. There's a power plant between Sunshine Autos and Escobar Intl but it doesn't get used in the storyline and I just think space like that could be used for something more interesting.

VC isn't the only culprit however, GTA V suffers from similar issues, Vinewood Bowl as an example - a nicely detailed area but serves no actual purpose in the game. 

Going back to VC, I feel the golf club was a huge space that wasn't used well. Yes 1 or 2 missions take place there but to really get the benefit of the space, a golfing mini-game would have been nice. 

universetwisters
6 hours ago, Sam2150AD said:

The fact the beach covers the whole strip of land from top to bottom was always a thing for me. What I sometimes dislike in games like GTA is unused space. There's a power plant between Sunshine Autos and Escobar Intl but it doesn't get used in the storyline and I just think space like that could be used for something more interesting.

VCS used it for one of the final missions or something like that

On 3/9/2021 at 2:20 PM, Sam2150AD said:

The fact the beach covers the whole strip of land from top to bottom was always a thing for me.

It's called Vice Beach and Miami Beach in real life for a reason, that's how exactly it is in Miami Beach. Also not everything has to be used in the game, some places are just for player to explore. Some people literally complain about Rockstar accurately mapping their worlds, lmao. With such attitude at least 70% of our planet is waste of space...

Edited by Kris194
11 hours ago, Kris194 said:

It's called Vice Beach and Miami Beach in real life for a reason, that's how exactly it is in Miami Beach. Also not everything has to be used in the game, some places are just for player to explore. Some people literally complain about Rockstar accurately mapping their worlds, lmao. With such attitude at least 70% of our planet is waste of space...

I understand completely what you're saying, IRL Miami Beach is probably amazing (never been myself) and I'm sure there's loads to do! But this is a video game and unfortunately from a gaming perspective it is dead space purely based on the fact there's nothing to do there. Visually it's great, absolutely and I agree it's there for you to explore but once you've explored it there's no real reason to go back to that area, and as the game ages you then start to think, they could have done more with this space. Even having one of the street races take place there using the Sandking perhaps? 

There's accurately (ish) portraying a city so it can be as authentic as possible, but then there's having the problem of once it's explored having no further use for it. It's a toss up between the two that I'm pretty sure the developers have had numerous conversations about.

But you can attribute it to real life if you wish, I don't know about you but there's a few places in my hometown I think is wasted space that the local authority could use/build something on 😅

• Like 2
MiamiViceCity1986
On 3/17/2021 at 6:55 AM, Kris194 said:

It’s still a fair criticism though IMO. I think Vice City’s map gets too much flack for being too “small”, but honestly this is one of the main reasons.

I mean it’s not like the Sahara Desert with endless expanses of nothing. It reminds me of the ocean floor in San Andreas and GTA V. Resources are wasted in the wrong places.

I wouldn’t have minded if the beach was cut in half and if some more city areas were added up north. At the time of Vice City R* weren’t really into making things that accurate to the real thing so I wouldn’t minded accuracy being sacrificed.

The “explore” argument is a little strange too because what’s there to explore other than sand dunes and such? I love Vice City, but this is the blemish it has against it unfortunately.

Edited by Algonquin Assassin

I don't mind the beach size, to be honest. For me it's lack of overall space is the problem. This map really does feel claustrophobic. 

Also, Miami in Driver is obviously much smaller, but I've always thought that the developers did much better job when it comes to the overall atmosphere. 

Edited by Americana

Definitely the map size. I'd really like to see the Everglades and the Florida Keys. I disliked the fact that Vice City felt tiny in comparison to Liberty or San Andreas.

• Like 2
On 3/18/2021 at 4:54 AM, Algonquin Assassin said:

It’s still a fair criticism though IMO. I think Vice City’s map gets too much flack for being too “small”, but honestly this is one of the main reasons.

I mean it’s not like the Sahara Desert with endless expanses of nothing. It reminds me of the ocean floor in San Andreas and GTA V. Resources are wasted in the wrong places.

I wouldn’t have minded if the beach was cut in half and if some more city areas were added up north. At the time of Vice City R* weren’t really into making things that accurate to the real thing so I wouldn’t minded accuracy being sacrificed.

The “explore” argument is a little strange too because what’s there to explore other than sand dunes and such? I love Vice City, but this is the blemish it has against it unfortunately.

I mean, it kind of is when you consider the beach runs the length of the map and has nothing bar that sand racecourse and a lighthouse - ofcourse, it's a beach and I would expect dunes of sand but the beach itself feels disconnected from the rest of the environment around it, I'd probably chalk that up to hardware limitations regarding pedestrian amounts but if you compare say walking down Ocean Beach on a night to walking across the beach in the day, the beach feels lifeless in comparison. Then there's also that void area that runs from the back of the scrapyard up to the stadium that essentially serves no purpose, and there's numerous other examples of larges swathes of space that are severely underutilized. Aside from the beach, I think the first island does a great job of using it's space, adding depth and life to it, whereas the second island feels more like a bunch of copy/paste buildings surrounding one main road with a few tidbits of detail thrown amongst it.

• 1 month later...

Vice City needs hills, greens, forests and less walls if it's possible...(GTA III has more green area than VC) I know Vice City (Miami) is obviously flat but i would be great to cruise around the countryside, maybe doing some missions at there and remove some walls to access some areas easily like beaches or shores. Apart from map peds are looking so dead :) I don't see dynamic and lively peds who come acrosses and talks eachother..

On 2/1/2021 at 5:28 PM, PsyWarVeteran said:

Great game, my favorite out of all GTA's but it definitely has problems:

The story simply stops after a while and the game wants you to buy various businesses to continue. Buying businesses and seeing Tommy take over is great but their missions are too disjointed from the main story. Why does Tommy instantly try to rob a bank when buying Malibu? Why am I driving taxis around when Sonny is harrassing me time and time again and will surely come visit me soon?

The whole Love Fist and Bikers parts are also pointless, why does Tommy help Love Fist? I get he is trying to make money with the Malibu heist but what does helping people who clearly annoys him achieve?

The final mission blows, you hype up Sonny throught the game only to get rid of him without fanfare? The cutscene is great but when it ends Sonny is nowhere to be seen and you are teleported to your office somehow? I don't mind the mediocre Lance fight but Sonny? He simply shows up again and dies in seconds, that's it?

I would make it so when the Lance dies Sonny shows up with his men and when the men are shooting at Tommy, he escapes. Tommy runs after him and chases him around the mansion. How cool it would be to try to find him in the hedge maze while he is taunting at you, popping up, throwing grenades and disappearing again. And there isn't even a cutscene of neither antagonist dying, what a wasted opportunity.

Talking about "Story" Tommy became responsible for losing money and off course he needs to be rich and powerful in order to pay his debts or get rid of Sonny. That's why he took out Diaz and started to buy businesses. At first he i mean Rockstar focused on finding the money and take over the Diaz's business.. they could extend the story but their priority was confronting with Sonny and you are right about shortage of story ;) 

• 4 weeks later...
CynicalMexican

I'm gonna go with the popular opinion and say the map.

Mainland Vice feels rush and slightly barren, and there could be been more neighborhoods. Not to mention the roads are a nightmare to navigate.