Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Gameplay
      3. Missions
      4. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Gameplay
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    1. Crews & Posses

      1. Recruitment
    2. Events

    1. GTA Online

      1. Diamond Casino & Resort
      2. DLC
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Grand Theft Auto Series

    3. GTA 6

    4. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    5. GTA IV

      1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    6. GTA Chinatown Wars

    7. GTA Vice City Stories

    8. GTA Liberty City Stories

    9. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    12. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    13. Wiki

      1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption

    2. Rockstar Games

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

    2. Forum Support

    3. Site Suggestions

Beatrice

I'm a new player (level 27) only learning the basics, but there's something I want to say about the Treasure Map farming.

Recommended Posts

Beatrice

I feel like the Lemoyne route is an absolute meme. I've played WoW long enough to know a simple rule: whenever there's something that is 'the most efficient', but it exists in an online multiplayer scenario, you can bet your organs that it is, in fact, the least efficient.

Every single session, any time of day, 24/7, there will be at least one, sometimes more, other players going around that same route, because whenever someone searches 'treasure maps farm' in google or on youtube, this route is what they will end up with. So while it's easy to be fooled with the density of spawn points in Lemoyne, in reality you are in for some fun times finding nothing for more than an hour, and when you do find something, someone will already be on it, or even if you manage to get there first, someone else will come and loot your corpses. Or even start attacking you, too.

Personally, I feel like the Cumberland Forest route or even some forms of New Austin routes provide much more realistic results. Often enough, the place is completely empty with no one to compete with you, and I find at least 1-2 events on a full circuit of New Austin. I haven't tried seriously going for Cumberland Forest yet, so can't talk about any results yet.

 

Am I probably missing something about why the Lemoyne route seems to be suggested everywhere, not just by 10:01-video-making-youtubers, but also in well-written guides and tips&tricks compilations?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AmyStone

I have no idea what you're rambling on about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The FoolYT
53 minutes ago, AmyStone said:

I have no idea what you're rambling on about.

I believe this person is talking about the ambush squads possibly where you can kill them and they have a chance of having a treasure map on their dead body. People are possibly constantly roaming the trigger zone for the ambush to try to get them to spawn. Either that or maybe gang hideouts?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beatrice
1 hour ago, AmyStone said:

I have no idea what you're rambling on about.

You're blessed to not care about efficiency, being able to just play without a care in the world.

 

33 minutes ago, The FoolYT said:

I believe this person is talking about the ambush squads possibly where you can kill them and they have a chance of having a treasure map on their dead body. People are possibly constantly roaming the trigger zone for the ambush to try to get them to spawn. Either that or maybe gang hideouts?

 

 

Yep, this is pretty much the route that everyone and their grandmothers are using, because it's 'the most efficient' one. It would've indeed been the most efficient if this was a solo game, but alas, in the existing realities, it's the opposite, for reasons described above.

 

YBDvgw9.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stroup
52 minutes ago, Beatrice said:

You're blessed to not care about efficiency, being able to just play without a care in the world.

 

 

After getting caught up in the grinding grind of GTAO that is exactly how I have approached RDRO, not a care about rank, money, horses, clothes etc.  Simply do some objectives if their easy and enjoy the game totally randomly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beatrice
2 minutes ago, stroup said:

After getting caught up in the grinding grind of GTAO that is exactly how I have approached RDRO, not a care about rank, money, horses, clothes etc.  Simply do some objectives if their easy and enjoy the game totally randomly.

That's the best way to go about it, I guess.

 

Personally, I'm just frustrated that I don't have a lot of useful things on my low rank, so I feel the need to grind XP, gold and money as efficiently as possible. I guess when I'll be able to get special ammo and some adequate ability cards, showdowns would probably become a much better activity, but so far they are so frustrating that I'd rather focus on activities that provide a bit less XP, but a bit more fun. Hopefully, I'll feel like I can stop taking the grind too seriously soon. Sometime around the levels when the last best cards unlock, I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CMCSAVAGE
2 minutes ago, Beatrice said:

Personally, I'm just frustrated that I don't have a lot of useful things on my low rank, so I feel the need to grind XP, gold and money as efficiently as possible.

Then looking for Treasure Maps is the worst thing you could be doing. Not only will you spend way too much time hoping for a hideout or ambush to spawn, you have less than a 10% chance of even getting a map.

 

If you want XP, do freeroam missions. If it's gold, do the daily challenges. If it's money, go hunting. If you still want to look for maps, glitch a solo lobby and you'll have better luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
executor404

If you spawn in another state and then (fast) travel to Lemoyne, there will be less players to compete with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AmyStone
19 minutes ago, stroup said:

After getting caught up in the grinding grind of GTAO that is exactly how I have approached RDRO, not a care about rank, money, horses, clothes etc.  Simply do some objectives if their easy and enjoy the game totally randomly.

Same for me. I do things because they are fun and not because they will earn me money. If you play the game normally then the money will build up on its own without you having to think about it. 

1 hour ago, Beatrice said:

You're blessed to not care about efficiency, being able to just play without a care in the world.

 

Yep, this is pretty much the route that everyone and their grandmothers are using, because it's 'the most efficient' one. It would've indeed been the most efficient if this was a solo game, but alas, in the existing realities, it's the opposite, for reasons described above.

 

YBDvgw9.jpg

I'm not even sure how you can call that a route anyway. It's a bunch of ambush locations with no order shown. As CMC said. You won't make efficient use of your time doing that. You can guarantee £100 an hour hunting north of Saint Denis. You could spend hours riding between those locations and only scavenge 10c from each person you loot. When Spoils of War had just been released I played it for days because it was so much fun. I went up 35 ranks in a week without really trying. You could do the same now just playing showdowns and get yourself a nice pile of money too. But if you enjoy riding around for hours hoping to get a treasure map from time to time then best of luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sodoff

There's not enough stuff to be had in the game to go grinding for cash. Just going about some random business will net you the money for the stuff you need to compete. And when you reach rank 100, you realize: crap, I just ran out of stuff to do, and here I am, blowing money on junk nobody will ever need. No need to hurry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AmyStone
3 minutes ago, sodoff said:

There's not enough stuff to be had in the game to go grinding for cash. Just going about some random business will net you the money for the stuff you need to compete. And when you reach rank 100, you realize: crap, I just ran out of stuff to do, and here I am, blowing money on junk nobody will ever need. No need to hurry.

That's how I am. I also found it was a waste of time in the for few weeks of play where I farmed from XP by camping on the roof in Saint Denis shooting lawmen. It's more fun getting the awards when you just play the game. Some of them I can't reset any more either so that time was completely wasted.

 

What I'm interested to know is what people who grind for xp and cash when they start playing a game do when they have all the cash they need. Is that when they stop playing because playing the game was never fun enough to do in the first place? It all sounds a bit pointless to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
StyxTx
5 hours ago, TheExecutor10 said:

If you spawn in another state and then (fast) travel to Lemoyne, there will be less players to compete with.

Yeah, but I've noticed more and more people are starting to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DentureDynamite
5 hours ago, AmyStone said:

That's how I am. I also found it was a waste of time in the for few weeks of play where I farmed from XP by camping on the roof in Saint Denis shooting lawmen. It's more fun getting the awards when you just play the game. Some of them I can't reset any more either so that time was completely wasted.

 

What I'm interested to know is what people who grind for xp and cash when they start playing a game do when they have all the cash they need. Is that when they stop playing because playing the game was never fun enough to do in the first place? It all sounds a bit pointless to me.

I honestly think at that point, they redouble their efforts in griefing other players.

 

As an example, even in Defensive Mode last night at the butcher in Black Water, there were two players a few feet away just itching for me to step out of "ghost" mode so they could blast me.

 

I didn't give them the chance; I just closed the game from the PS4 system side after I sold my items.

 

The early days of griefing are increasingly showing up again, despite any 'protections' R* has since added. Bloody annoying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beatrice
6 hours ago, CMCSAVAGE said:

glitch a solo lobby

I didn't know that was a thing. Thanks, this looks useful as hell for many things!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GEИESIS

While you spend hours looking for a treasure map to spawn, you could make more money with that much time hunting and doing free roam missions than you will get from the treasure. You should have leveled up and gotten treasure map every 5 levels instead of looking for one and wasting time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Van_Hellsing

If there is the daily objective, everybody and their grandmother will be in every chicken coop in Lemoyne looking for cocques. 😕

 

I think Rockstar does limit the spawn points on purpose to promote pvp. Occasionally I do get attacked in defensive. It is a lot less. Some players just want to see the world burn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IamCourtney
On 8/5/2019 at 2:40 PM, GENESIS-YKIY said:

While you spend hours looking for a treasure map to spawn, you could make more money with that much time hunting and doing free roam missions than you will get from the treasure. You should have leveled up and gotten treasure map every 5 levels instead of looking for one and wasting time. 

Yup, and a lot of free roam missions generate as many (if not more) NPCs as a hideout or ambush, each one of which offers chance to loot a map.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ghoffman9

I never been a guy who leaves things up to chance. I do not actively seek out maps. If a hideout happens to be nearby I will do it. Otherwise I just do my own thing. The drop rate on maps is unsurprisingly low and you will just drive yourself mad actively searching for them. I just do what I want and do stranger missions, loot everyone I kill and I sometimes find a map. All enemies in free roam can drop a map, not just those in hideouts.

I beg of you, don't become another Seth Briars.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.