4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

GTA 2 Vehicles Reborn in 3D

AlexTSK

2 hours ago, AlexTSK said:

A : I personally had no intention of making these to be 'game res' vehicles from the very beginning so the answer is probably not. I have tried to get into modding GTA but as someone who doesn't use 3DS max and has no interested in zmodeler I lost interest pretty quick. That said if someone wants to use my designs as inspiration or create game res vehicles to be modded into the games they are free to do so.

So We won't get the models? I wanted the Definitive version of the Z-type instead of the dumb down one in the 5th game. Gta 2 is very over rated. By releasing the models You are doing a big favor for the gta 2 community, and these models will be ported over to other games.

8 hours ago, Yutes of Cards said:

So We won't get the models? I wanted the Definitive version of the Z-type instead of the dumb down one in the 5th game. Gta 2 is very over rated. By releasing the models You are doing a big favor for the gta 2 community, and these models will be ported over to other games.

No.

You artwork is amazing. I think its only a matter of time until R* features them on their Newswire/Twitter so that more people can see them.

18 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

You artwork is amazing. I think its only a matter of time until R* features them on their Newswire/Twitter so that more people can see them.

Thanks very much, though I very much doubt the feature :). I didn't even see GTA 2 get mentioned anywhere when it turned 20 years old in October last year. 

• Like 2

Hey guys, couple of updates :

I'm redoing the Rumbler, not quite from scratch but I've mostly thrown away all the bits from the old one since the proportions all changed so most of it will have to be redone anyway. Just started it a day or so ago so its still heavily WIP but I personally prefer the more muscular look. I sort of realised that the cars in GTA 2 span eras from the 30's all the way to the 70s even so they dont all have to be streamlined and round. And I should be experimenting more anyway while trying to learn as much as possible so its a good wayfor me to make something a little different. Oh yeah and also, the Rumbler and Cop car will have the same manufacturer so thats why I made it a bit more square. 

EGhbkX1.jpg

Old one

Pz5bJFW.jpg

Also I have been tinkering with the Cop car, and I've finally found a direction, this one will most likely be quite different to the sprite in terms of proportions because the sprite is really stubby and silly looking I want to avoid extremely cartoony proportion.

pEqRPsJ.png

Please if any of you guys have any ideas for what the civillan version of the cop car should be called I'd love to hear your suggestions!

Edited by AlexTSK

This is super nice... but it needs the stripes. :p :p :p Cop car is starting to look good too.

Also, I understand that you may want to deviate from the sprites for artistic reasons, but I have to say that I very much like how the B-type and the Z-type look exactly how they look in the game when viewed from above while being completely new 3D designs.

1 hour ago, BBBean said:

This is super nice... but it needs the stripes. :p :p :p Cop car is starting to look good too.

Also, I understand that you may want to deviate from the sprites for artistic reasons, but I have to say that I very much like how the B-type and the Z-type look exactly how they look in the game when viewed from above while being completely new 3D designs.

Well this actually isn't really true, they don't match the sprites 1:1 if you overlay them because that's not how I built them. I just tried to get close to the look and feel of the sprite without being a slave to it. I think I may have overemphasized how different the cop car may be since I'm still looking at the sprite while modeling ;)

Lets see where it goes.

I don't mind how the CopCar looks now, I think it looks pretty cool so far. As for the name of its civilian counterpart, I've been thinking it should be named something like Plasmius or Reznor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This looks sooo coool, but what really does trouble me a little bit is (next to GTA 2 in general) that the games lore is kind of completely out of context and it would say to be set in kind of modern times but the cars would suggest otherwise but that's kind of not important actually

Are these simply 3-D models or completely implemented game assets with collision boxes, scripts etc

1 hour ago, CrackkkBlunts said:

This looks sooo coool, but what really does trouble me a little bit is (next to GTA 2 in general) that the games lore is kind of completely out of context and it would say to be set in kind of modern times but the cars would suggest otherwise but that's kind of not important actually

Are these simply 3-D models or completely implemented game assets with collision boxes, scripts etc

I have my own vision as to what kind of setting the game would have so that's why I'm making these.

Nope not intended to be game assets, just me honing my vehicle design skills :)

15 hours ago, pete9516 said:

Does anybody know if the original 3d models, which were converted to 2d sprites, exist in any way?

I've outlined my theory as to why the whole 'all the cars were 3d models' is probably not true on the second page of this topic, if they did exist the files are probably long gone, but as I said I very much doubt there were more 3d models than those we've already seen.

Edit Someone please show me where people are getting this information from?

Edited by AlexTSK

Okay so I got some answers from Ray Larabie on twitter, here you go :

These were my questions : Hey Raymond, I just wanted to take another chance and ask you if you remember anything about the GTA 2 cars being modeled in 3D? There seems to be a lot of people that are convinced that ALL the vehicles were modeled and then converted to sprites. The only 3D models that the public has seen to my knowledge were models of promotional material, cars seen on magazine previews of the game etc.

Were the cars actually modeled and converted to sprites? In 98-99 that seems like a hell of a lot of effort, especially considering that a quite of the few of the vehicles you designed made it into the final game just with some changes. Also the in-game sprites have mirrored lighting which is odd if they were captured from a 3d model.

Ray said :

The cars that Rockstar North produced for GTA 2 were renders of 3D models. I don't know how detailed they were. I don't think it would have been that difficult to do it if they had a full time artist on the case.

Yes, the mirrored lighting did seem odd to me at the time. But looking back, it makes sense because the GTA engine had multiple light sources. I think the vague lighting on the models helps distract from the lack of proper lighting on the cars.

In GTA 1, there was no real lighting... Almost like a cartoon. At the time I thought Rockstar North had the wrong strategy but looking back I think they had it totally right. There being I made that never got used would have looked wrong in the GTA2 engine.

Some of the GTA 2 car graphics may have been photoshopped. I'm not sure how strict they were about using pure 3D renders.

Just to be clear: none of the vehicles I did for GTA2 were used in the game. It's likely that they were never even shown to the Rockstar North staff.

"There being I made" I assume he refers to the cars he did which actually had proper lighting.

So there you go, there probably exist other 3d car models, which may have been lost to time I don't think we'll ever see them. That said its still not 100% confirmed especially since he says " I'm not sure how strict they were about using pure 3D renders.".

Maybe an artist that actually worked on the cars can confirm stuff for sure one day, but I'm not holding my breath.

14 hours ago, AlexTSK said:

There seems to be a lot of people that are convinced that ALL the vehicles were modeled and then converted to sprites.

Sorry, i didn't mean it like that, i just wanted to be safe about it that there are no 3D models, i was just curious

2 hours ago, pete9516 said:

Sorry, i didn't mean it like that, i just wanted to be safe about it that there are no 3D models, i was just curious

All good, there are only 4 renders of the models online as far as I know, police car, jefferson, taxi x-press, and michelli roadster.

Edited by AlexTSK
  • 2 weeks later...
MyNameIsNotImportantBro
6 hours ago, AlexTSK said:

Mafia 2? This is a GTA forum my guy.

I was joking, The vehicles is fimilair to Mafia 2

• 2 weeks later...

Dude! nice work! i wish i could make arts like you.

Also little question can you make Hachura from gta 2? i mean more futuristic than that alpha render of hachura from gta 3 capital autos website.

Even if this topic is old i think you still can reply to this.

1 hour ago, Exevo said:

Dude! nice work! i wish i could make arts like you.

Also little question can you make Hachura from gta 2? i mean more futuristic than that alpha render of hachura from gta 3 capital autos website.

Even if this topic is old i think you still can reply to this.

This topic isn't really that old, I've been keeping it going just slowly. 

I have plans for the hachura yes, its just not coming soon or anything. Don't know yet what the next car will be but first its the Rumbler remake and then maybe the police car or the GT-A1, we shall see.

• 1 month later...

Absolutely stunning work, the cars look beautiful. My favorite is the gorgeous Z-type you've rendered. Wow.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/6/2020 at 8:07 PM, vacha said:

thanks for authenticity. how about a-type?

Maybe one day, the next car is the Rumbler rework, and then Bank Van, Hotdog/Icecream/News/Stock Van, and Cop Car (not necessarily in that order). 

• 5 months later...
Posted (edited)

Just throwing these up here as I've been extensively been reworking the Rumbler during my spare time, its coming along and at this point I'm hoping to start moving towards a more or less final model and presentation soon :) This one will more than likely have at least one alternate version too and one with stripes as a nod to the original.

wUhFF3w.png

dB1XIOJ.png

Edited by AlexTSK