Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Gameplay
      3. Missions
      4. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Gameplay
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
      4. Frontier Pursuits
    1. Crews & Posses

      1. Recruitment
    2. Events

    1. GTA Online

      1. DLC
      2. Find Lobbies & Players
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Vehicles
      5. Content Creator
      6. Help & Support
      7. The Diamond Casino Heist
    2. Grand Theft Auto Series

    3. GTA 6

    4. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    5. GTA IV

      1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA IV Mods
    6. GTA Chinatown Wars

    7. GTA Vice City Stories

    8. GTA Liberty City Stories

    9. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA SA Mods
    10. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA VC Mods
    11. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA III Mods
    12. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    13. Wiki

      1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption

    2. Rockstar Games

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

    2. Forum Support

    3. Site Suggestions

iiCriminnaaL 49

Things GTA IV contributed to the franchise

Recommended Posts

Eugene H. Krabs
On 8/29/2019 at 1:28 PM, The7thOne said:

Adding on to this, IV also introduced a dating system - a first for the series, as far as I know.

Actually, it debuted in SA. Wouldn't blame you for forgetting, though

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
perennial

GTA IV got dating first. SA had girlfriends but I really wouldn't call that interaction "dating". 😛

Edited by perennial
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SonOfLiberty
3 hours ago, perennial said:

GTA IV got dating first. SA had girlfriends but I really wouldn't call that interaction "dating". 😛

I've often described it as being like two emotionless robots conversing. So glad GTA IV made it much more interesting.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iiCriminnaaL 49

Vehicles don't explode when they flip. That was such a frustrating annoyance in the 3D era.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Billy Russo

- GPS system for cars.

- Improved shooting mechanics.

- More realistic driving psychics.

- Deeper characters/story

- Improved Vigilante system with the Police Computer and then Rockstar totally forgot about in V. *sigh*

- Better hand to hand combat with AI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iiCriminnaaL 49

Far more realistic and advanced combat A.I. where NPCs take cover, sprint towards the player, climb in ladders/ledges, punch more rapidly, sometimes give up when they're about to fall down, and sometimes give up and run away if the player uses a more powerful type of weapon than theirs (ex: switching to a shotgun while the NPC is shooting at you with a pistol).

Edited by iiCriminnaaL 49
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KingAJ032304
On 8/2/2019 at 5:07 AM, Cerega1827 said:

-Multiplayer mode

-Realistic vehicle damage system

-Detailed vehicle collision meshes

-swingsets

Actually GTA 1 its DLCs 2 LCS VCS and to some extent GTA SA on 2 player mode through shareplay all had multiplayer 

GTA also introduced large range for snipers and bouncing rockets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
billiejoearmstrong8
6 hours ago, iiCriminnaaL 49 said:

Far more realistic and advanced combat A.I. where NPCs take cover, sprint towards the player, climb in ladders/ledges, punch more rapidly, sometimes give up when they're about to fall down, and sometimes give up and run away if the player uses a more powerful type of weapon than theirs (ex: switching to a shotgun while the NPC is shooting at you with a pistol).

Never noticed this, awesome. Another cool thing is how NPCs can have more than one weapon on them. They can have a melee weapon and a gun, which they bring out when you escalate things by bringing out your gun, or they can have a more powerful gun and a spare pistol they bring out if they drop it (most often the case with cops). They carry a more varied selection of different weapons compared to NPCs in any other GTA game too (impressive for a game with a limited weapon selection to start with). And just the fact that you can cause them to drop guns, and take melee weapons from their hands. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SonOfLiberty

Dynamic side missions.

 

Now what I mean by this is the side missions change on different playthroughs. For example when doing Roman's taxi fares the order changes. They're still the same 10 fares of course, but the order mixes up or like Brucie's exotics exports not only does the order change, but he'll request different vehicles (if you pay close attention) even if it uses the same prescribed scenario. Same with LJ's drug runs, Stevie's thefts and The Fixer's assassinations.

 

It's nothing major, but it's something I've always loved about GTA IV and probably what gives the games such high replay value. Always keeps me on my toes as I can't predict what I'll get. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ronald Reagan

Also, something, which wasn't implemented in any other game... An animation of honking. (Like, you know - using a horn).

 


Edited by Ronald Reagan
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SonOfLiberty
16 minutes ago, Ronald Reagan said:

Also, something, which wasn't implemented in any other game... An animation of honking. (Like, you know - using a horn).

 


A lot of details were added when it comes to cars that weren't in any other GTA before.

 

-Tires deflate eventually onto bare rim when they're shot out.

-Niko punches, kicks, elbows windows of car doors.

-No more "phantom" doors that phase through objects like 3D era GTAs.

-It's possible to get shot through windows.

-Turning on and off engines.

-Adjusting between high and low beams

-Niko has unique animations for when he car jacks people at gunpoint.

-Interior lights will turn on at night time.

-Certain cars have a GPS navigator.

-NPCs can grab onto door handles allowing them to be dragged off for a little while which is hilarious when you smash them against a gutter or something.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
perennial

There's also an animation for looking at the rearview mirror.

Some other random things:
-More minimalist HUD. Adds to the immersion when the top right of the screen isn't always cluttered with numbers.

-Radar zoom out button. Shows all the HUD elements as well, including the map zone and vehicle names.

-Chase camera button that also functions as a shortcut for cinematic camera views.

-Separate camera options for aiming with weapons.
-Car camera centered on the protagonist. The car centered camera of 3D era or GTA V is probably more efficient for squeezing between traffic but I've always loved this unique touch in GTA IV.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iiCriminnaaL 49

The fact that interactive interiors (restaurants, clothing shops, underground gun shops, etc) aren't marked on the map as long as the player didn't find and enter them. That adds more replay value and gives the player more desire to explore the map.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SonOfLiberty
11 minutes ago, iiCriminnaaL 49 said:

The fact that interactive interiors (restaurants, clothing shops, underground gun shops, etc) aren't marked on the map as long as the player didn't find and enter them. That adds more replay value and gives the player more desire to explore the map.

I also like that some interiors aren't marked on the map at all such as the second pub in Algonquin that's another place to play darts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
billiejoearmstrong8
3 hours ago, SonOfLiberty said:

A lot of details were added when it comes to cars that weren't in any other GTA before.

 

-Tires deflate eventually onto bare rim when they're shot out.

-Niko punches, kicks, elbows windows of car doors.

-No more "phantom" doors that phase through objects like 3D era GTAs.

-It's possible to get shot through windows.

-Turning on and off engines.

-Adjusting between high and low beams

-Niko has unique animations for when he car jacks people at gunpoint.

-Interior lights will turn on at night time.

-Certain cars have a GPS navigator.

-NPCs can grab onto door handles allowing them to be dragged off for a little while which is hilarious when you smash them against a gutter or something.

Also when the car hits something Niko/any passengers jolt forwards, and he sometimes grabs his nose afterwards like he hit it on the dashboard.

 

And of course the first GTA with sex animations when you pick up a prostitute

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NewGuybj

Well it's was first serious and indepth GTA game. Introduced some features who are in use in GTA V as well.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • 2 Users Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 2 Guests

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.