Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Gameplay
      3. Missions
      4. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Gameplay
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    1. Crews & Posses

      1. Recruitment
    2. Events

    1. GTA Online

      1. Diamond Casino & Resort
      2. DLC
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Grand Theft Auto Series

    3. GTA 6

    4. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    5. GTA IV

      1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    6. GTA Chinatown Wars

    7. GTA Vice City Stories

    8. GTA Liberty City Stories

    9. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    12. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    13. Wiki

      1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption

    2. Rockstar Games

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

    2. Forum Support

    3. Site Suggestions

Rico263

Should Slippery Bastard be Nerfed.

Recommended Posts

XxJazzy42xX
On 7/25/2019 at 12:55 PM, Jason said:

The reason this card is so powerful is because the games free aim mechanics are trash. Running at someone in zigzag with this card on being one of the most popular PvP meta's is a sign that something is very wrong, running at somebody in a shooting game shouldn't be a good idea.

Bingo. There is a lot of things wrong with the free aim mechanics especially GTAO and RDR. When using Slippery Bastard you can't go wrong by running zigzag towards a player, because that's when most people's free aim "skills" or abilities become shoddy at best. As some one who has killed these users by free aiming myself with not only shotguns, but also repeaters the running mechanics transitioning into the aiming is part of the problem there is a delay and the fact that aiming in free aim also has problems with over or under committing the direction of the aim. Even Watchdog's shooting mechanics is better and the running to shooting back to running animations are way smoother and are more fit for free aim shooting......even more fit for the middle grounders that is soft lock shooting. I can go into how running and switching directions on GTA  is also clunky........ever tried to get your GTAO character to turn back the opposite direction of where they are running towards......this tapping a button for running has got to go......period.

 

Anybody remember this happening in the GTAV shooting range

Image result for watch dogs shooting gif

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vod364kax

Watch dogs shooting while pretty basic was extremely functional and I always turned aim assist to the lowest in both of them. Rdr and GTA are really bad when it comes to free aim (especially GTA) and needs a revamp tbh. You can have slow and deliberate third person shooting without the auto aim and without making it arcadey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XxJazzy42xX
Posted (edited)
On 7/30/2019 at 12:40 PM, Vod364kax said:

Watch dogs shooting while pretty basic was extremely functional and I always turned aim assist to the lowest in both of them. Rdr and GTA are really bad when it comes to free aim (especially GTA) and needs a revamp tbh. You can have slow and deliberate third person shooting without the auto aim and without making it arcadey.

Right........ with controls that compliment it people would find themselves needing less assistance. I certainly didn't need it in Watchdogs.

Edited by XxJazzy42xX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Enchilada

Rockstar’s last skill based game was Max Payne 3. Why they incorporated aim assist into free aim lobbies in GTAV is beyond me. RDR2 typical loadout player: a painter that can’t aim from a distance, spraying a shot gun at point blank because they’re too slow on the draw...with a revolver... on auto aim? The death of a gunslinger game. Tricks are for kids, let them have their magic cards. It’s a casual game that tends to have casual players with sh*tty play styles.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wehweh01
16 minutes ago, Enchilada said:

Rockstar’s last skill based game was Max Payne 3. Why they incorporated aim assist into free aim lobbies in GTAV is beyond me. RDR2 typical loadout player: a painter that can’t aim from a distance, spraying a shot gun at point blank because they’re too slow on the draw...with a revolver... on auto aim? The death of a gunslinger game. Tricks are for kids, let them have their magic cards. It’s a casual game that tends to have casual players with sh*tty play styles.

 

 

Aim assist has a huge following though. I don't care for aim assist myself but I think the PVP could be balanced evenly if Rockstar tried. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
areyouchappin
Posted (edited)

I also don't like any of the Ability Cards, I think they all helped ruin the PvP aspect of the game, along with auto-aim, clunky and exaggerated movement, an unreliable cover system, lack of maps, randomly placed spawn points and an absolutely terrible auto-tackle and weapon-melee mechanic.

 

Besides the lack of viable content, Red Dead Online in general, needs some serious work done to it.. which is why R* is planning on revamping some mechanical stuff in the next big update.

 

EDIT: I forgot to say that Ability Cards are actually pretty nice to have when playing outside of PvP.

Edited by areyouchappin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tonko
6 hours ago, wehweh01 said:

Aim assist has a huge following though. I don't care for aim assist myself but I think the PVP could be balanced evenly if Rockstar tried. 

 

RDR multiplayer PVP modes were balanced, even with auto aim. No cards, no tonics, same weapons for everybody. And if that wasn't enough for someone, Free Aim lobby and modes were 2 buttons away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beatrice

Last time I personally played shooting games seriously was in ~2003-2004 when I played a TON of Quake III Arena. Obviously I played it with KB and mouse, and it felt okayish. I never was great enough on the level of people who run defrags, but I definitely didn't feel struggling or suffocating.

After Q3, I was mostly playing strategies and RPGs. There were more and more games requiring gamepads eventually (I only had NES and Sega MD2 before a PC - I never had PS or PS2, or the other early 32bit consoles) that I played, but those games never were shooters - those were games like Devil May Cry series, FromSoftware games (Demon's Souls and beyond that). I was completely immersed in games like HoMM, King's Bounty, Diablo, World of Warcraft - games that not only didn't require gamepad, they didn't have anything to do with precision anyway.

 

So when I bought GTAV (my only GTA games before that were 1 and 2) and RDR2 (didn't play the first game yet, sadly), I was completely overwhelmed with how people even use the sticks for aiming and shooting. Even the 'press L2, push stick a bit up for a headshot' thing is still wild for me, I often make this slight movement of the stick to the left or right, missing the headshot, so it took me quite a lot of time to get *relatively okayish* with that. It boggles my mind that some people have been apparently playing so many shooter games on consoles that not only are they comfortable with gamepads in shooters, they actively wish for free-aim, too (I've tried doing the '3 headshots with a sniper rifle in 10 seconds' buckle many times now in gang hideouts and other similar environments - to no avail, regardless of my aim sensitivity settings I'm just too sh*t for that).

 

So I guess the main issue that R* has created is that they strongly emphasized that disparity within the playerbase. RDR2 and GTAV are definitely not games that are seen as 'shooters' by the vast majority of players; that part of the playerbase might never have played games like Call of Duty or Battlefield even with KB/Mouse, let alone with a gamepad to learn how to use the sticks properly for free aim. At the same time, there's another part of the playerbase who feels comfortable with using gamepads for shooting, and they are also frustrated with how R* have implemented the whole aiming mechanics, making it so that they can't fully put their pure skill to use - even though technically they have a much better chance of success with free-aiming in certain scenarios than the first part of the playerbase I described above, it still doesn't make it impactful enough to make them satisfied.

 

So yeah, I guess the real issue here is R*'s indecisiveness and desire to attract both types of players, while creating a ton of frustration for all of them by trying to please everyone at once with such half-assed methods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XxJazzy42xX
37 minutes ago, Beatrice said:

Last time I personally played shooting games seriously was in ~2003-2004 when I played a TON of Quake III Arena. Obviously I played it with KB and mouse, and it felt okayish. I never was great enough on the level of people who run defrags, but I definitely didn't feel struggling or suffocating.

After Q3, I was mostly playing strategies and RPGs. There were more and more games requiring gamepads eventually (I only had NES and Sega MD2 before a PC - I never had PS or PS2, or the other early 32bit consoles) that I played, but those games never were shooters - those were games like Devil May Cry series, FromSoftware games (Demon's Souls and beyond that). I was completely immersed in games like HoMM, King's Bounty, Diablo, World of Warcraft - games that not only didn't require gamepad, they didn't have anything to do with precision anyway.

 

So when I bought GTAV (my only GTA games before that were 1 and 2) and RDR2 (didn't play the first game yet, sadly), I was completely overwhelmed with how people even use the sticks for aiming and shooting. Even the 'press L2, push stick a bit up for a headshot' thing is still wild for me, I often make this slight movement of the stick to the left or right, missing the headshot, so it took me quite a lot of time to get *relatively okayish* with that. It boggles my mind that some people have been apparently playing so many shooter games on consoles that not only are they comfortable with gamepads in shooters, they actively wish for free-aim, too (I've tried doing the '3 headshots with a sniper rifle in 10 seconds' buckle many times now in gang hideouts and other similar environments - to no avail, regardless of my aim sensitivity settings I'm just too sh*t for that).

 

So I guess the main issue that R* has created is that they strongly emphasized that disparity within the playerbase. RDR2 and GTAV are definitely not games that are seen as 'shooters' by the vast majority of players; that part of the playerbase might never have played games like Call of Duty or Battlefield even with KB/Mouse, let alone with a gamepad to learn how to use the sticks properly for free aim. At the same time, there's another part of the playerbase who feels comfortable with using gamepads for shooting, and they are also frustrated with how R* have implemented the whole aiming mechanics, making it so that they can't fully put their pure skill to use - even though technically they have a much better chance of success with free-aiming in certain scenarios than the first part of the playerbase I described above, it still doesn't make it impactful enough to make them satisfied.

 

So yeah, I guess the real issue here is R*'s indecisiveness and desire to attract both types of players, while creating a ton of frustration for all of them by trying to please everyone at once with such half-assed methods.

some of us started with controllers since only 4 or 5 years after birth. That is why I got so used to the controller and play a lot of shooters on controller as well. I can't get use to mouse and keyboard at all......tried many times. Free aim is something that takes some practice(if you don't do it a lot) and a lot of settings have to be adjusted for it to be comfortable. The control scheme also matters for controllers for several players. An example is some people are better at free aim or minimal assisted aim in other games and need Auto Aim in GTA or RDR. The more fluid the scheme the easier it is to do free aim on the game and R* controls are not fluid at all. Then there is the player base that is quiet, small and doesn't debate are the people in the middle of the 2.......the soft lock players. R* doesn't want to remove AA because that is most of your players there, but idk why they don't have a lobby for free aim or soft lock players at all like they did on GTAO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CosmicBuffalo
Posted (edited)

On reconsideration after the elimination mode week, I actually think it should be nerfed.  The ability to tackle people while its active should be removed.  You should not be able to tackle a person who has it active.  But if you have it equipped, you forefit the right to tackle people.  Not really a nerf as the tackle ability is just an exploit.

Edited by CosmicBuffalo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
StyxTx
23 hours ago, XxJazzy42xX said:

some of us started with controllers since only 4 or 5 years after birth. That is why I got so used to the controller and play a lot of shooters on controller as well. I can't get use to mouse and keyboard at all......tried many times. Free aim is something that takes some practice(if you don't do it a lot) and a lot of settings have to be adjusted for it to be comfortable. The control scheme also matters for controllers for several players. An example is some people are better at free aim or minimal assisted aim in other games and need Auto Aim in GTA or RDR. The more fluid the scheme the easier it is to do free aim on the game and R* controls are not fluid at all. Then there is the player base that is quiet, small and doesn't debate are the people in the middle of the 2.......the soft lock players. R* doesn't want to remove AA because that is most of your players there, but idk why they don't have a lobby for free aim or soft lock players at all like they did on GTAO.

Because Rockstar wants everyone to mingle. They make the decision what kind of experience everyone has rather than allowing the player to decide what kind of experience they want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Happy Hunter

Buff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AmyStone
Posted (edited)
On 8/9/2019 at 2:41 PM, StyxTx said:

Because Rockstar wants everyone to mingle. They make the decision what kind of experience everyone has rather than allowing the player to decide what kind of experience they want.

No they really don't want us to mingle. If you think that then you've been playing a completely different game to me. I have a really hard time finding others in the game. Even when I go into a town I usually find them empty. I sometimes feel like I'm not playing online at all.

Edited by AmyStone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wehweh01
1 hour ago, AmyStone said:

No they really don't want us to mingle. If you think that then you've been playing a completely different game to me. I have a really hard time finding others in the game. Even when I go into a town I usually find them empty. I sometimes feel like I'm not playing online at all.

If that was the case than Slippery Bastard wouldn't exist. It's literally a Freeaim card. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AmyStone
10 minutes ago, wehweh01 said:

If that was the case than Slippery Bastard wouldn't exist. It's literally a Freeaim card. 

Showdowns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wehweh01
1 hour ago, AmyStone said:

Showdowns.

Freeroam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
StyxTx
3 hours ago, AmyStone said:

No they really don't want us to mingle. If you think that then you've been playing a completely different game to me. I have a really hard time finding others in the game. Even when I go into a town I usually find them empty. I sometimes feel like I'm not playing online at all.

What I meant is they want everyone (all types of players) to be in the same lobbies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gtmike

I was going to rail against SB but then I remembered every aspect of PvP in RDO is absolute garbage, so what does it really matter?

 

The ability cards in general make no sense whatsoever and should be PvE only.

 

Anyone defending this sh*t is a tryhard troll probably roleplaying as a teenage cowgirl. Change my mind. 😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AmyStone
7 hours ago, wehweh01 said:

Freeroam

Why do you think it's a free roam card? I see it used more in showdowns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wehweh01
23 minutes ago, AmyStone said:

Why do you think it's a free roam card? I see it used more in showdowns.

Well my first point was that it's literally a Freeaim card. I keep it on always for occasions like this:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wehweh01
47 minutes ago, gtmike said:

I was going to rail against SB but then I remembered every aspect of PvP in RDO is absolute garbage, so what does it really matter?

 

The ability cards in general make no sense whatsoever and should be PvE only.

 

Anyone defending this sh*t is a tryhard troll probably roleplaying as a teenage cowgirl. Change my mind. 😃

Without the cards the game becomes a casual Autoaim fest I don't want to take part in.

 

There's actually a community of Freeaimers like myself that use Slippery Bastard with no Aim Assist as our only means of defending ourself against Autoaimers. 

 

This is what a Freeaim fight looks like:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AmyStone
11 minutes ago, wehweh01 said:

Well my first point was that it's literally a Freeaim card. I keep it on always for occasions like this:

 

 

We all know it's a free aim card. But I don't understand you argument about how slippery only exists because you think we encounter people a lot in free roam - which we don't. And I don't see how it is more useful in encounters like that than paint it black. If I get someone randomly shooting at me in free roam then I just turn around and shoot. You took 2 tonics and 20 seconds to deal with something that could have been dealt with in 2 seconds with paint it black.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
StuntCurry707

Leave it alone I guess, I don’t care for PVP. I own 5 ability cards. All level 1. All I need is PIB. Nerf PIB instead some of you say? Fvck that!! PIB IS the main red dead mechanic even if you obviously can’t slow time down online. Don’t try to balance some of the PVP stuff and let it effect the hunters/PVE people as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tonko
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, gtmike said:

I was going to rail against SB but then I remembered every aspect of PvP in RDO is absolute garbage, so what does it really matter?

 

The ability cards in general make no sense whatsoever and should be PvE only.

 

Anyone defending this sh*t is a tryhard troll probably roleplaying as a teenage cowgirl. Change my mind. 😃

I'm liberal when it comes to online freedom. What makes me sad is i have to go to 9 years old game to satisfy my PVP needs cause RDR 1 handled PVP aspect so much better. I played it again this weekend. 

 

Back to my liberal views: Give people Free Aim lobies, ability card lobbies and no ability card lobbies. Give them online freedom, don't force your half assed ideas that clearly don't work on them.

 

When it comes to having fun, RDR 1 is light years ahead.

Edited by tonko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AmyStone
1 minute ago, tonko said:

I'm liberal when it comes to online freedom. What makes me sad is i have to go to 9 years old game to satisfy my PVP needs cause RDR 1 handled PVP aspect so much better. I played it again this weekend. 

 

Back to my liberal views: Give people Free Aim lobies, ability card lobbies and no ability card lobbies. Give them online freedom, don't force your half assed ideas that clearly don't work on them.

It wouldn't bother me if we had free aim lobbies. In fact I'd prefer to let the freeaimers have their own place to play. But how many lobby types do you think there needs to be? Cards and no cards but what else? Paint it black lobbies? Lobbies for those under rank 50? Lobbies of low honour and ones for high honour?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gtmike
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, wehweh01 said:

Without the cards the game becomes a casual Autoaim fest I don't want to take part in.

 

There's actually a community of Freeaimers like myself that use Slippery Bastard with no Aim Assist as our only means of defending ourself against Autoaimers. 

 

This is what a Freeaim fight looks like:

 

 

Not if they add free aim lobbies.

 

And you're not "defending yourself against auto-aimers". They cease to become auto-aimers when they can't lock onto you...What you're really doing is forcing people who want assisted aim to free aim when they're not setup for it, and then patting yourself on the back like you're some elite sniper. Take that sh*t to CS:GO where it belongs.

 

If you're defending the current system, well...I already addressed that in my last post. Go get em cowgirl 😉

 

10 minutes ago, AmyStone said:

It wouldn't bother me if we had free aim lobbies. In fact I'd prefer to let the freeaimers have their own place to play. But how many lobby types do you think there needs to be? Cards and no cards but what else? Paint it black lobbies? Lobbies for those under rank 50? Lobbies of low honour and ones for high honour?

Cards work for PvE only. Free aim and assisted lobbies. Done.

Edited by gtmike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tonko
8 minutes ago, AmyStone said:

It wouldn't bother me if we had free aim lobbies. In fact I'd prefer to let the freeaimers have their own place to play. But how many lobby types do you think there needs to be? Cards and no cards but what else? Paint it black lobbies? Lobbies for those under rank 50? Lobbies of low honour and ones for high honour?

I'm a simple man. If RDR multiplayer had Normal, Friendly and Free Aim lobbies and PVP modes, i see no reason why a new and much more advanced game shouldn't have the same.

Cause this "jamming everybody in the same lobby" is a failed concept, doesn't work. As for cards, i'll always be against any outside help in PVP, especially since a 9 year older brother proved PVP can work and be super fun without these gimmicks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wehweh01
7 hours ago, AmyStone said:

You took 2 tonics and 20 seconds to deal with something that could have been dealt with in 2 seconds with paint it black.

You do realize that some people don't use Aim Assist. I use 100% Freeaim settings. There's a whole community that play this way because they feel it's more fun. Meanwhile, we get no enjoyment when we press a button and the game does everything for you except pull the trigger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GEИESIS

2 lobby types

 - Free Aim Assisted

 - Free Aim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ThaBirdCoot
Posted (edited)

My nigz, all we need is GTA IV type matchmaking options without the sh*t host system from back then when people were asleep for days and you had to hope eventually they wake up or that the rest of the players get the kick votes in. Would be totally achievable. Furthermore it would be nice to have options like for weather, density of wildlife weapon choice like no explosives ect. And obviously the aim prefs. Like @tonko said above it is always mindboggling how older games got more stuff right. R* are regressing.

Edited by ThaBirdCoot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.