Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. GTANet.com

    1. GTA Online

      1. The Cayo Perico Heist
      2. Find Lobbies & Players
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Vehicles
      5. Content Creator
      6. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Frontier Pursuits
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    3. Crews

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Redemption

    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

      1. St. Andrews Cathedral
    2. GTA VI

    3. GTA V

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

      1. The Lost and Damned
      2. The Ballad of Gay Tony
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
    5. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    6. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    7. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    8. Portable Games

      1. GTA Chinatown Wars
      2. GTA Vice City Stories
      3. GTA Liberty City Stories
    9. Top-Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    1. GTA Mods

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Red Dead Mods

      1. Documentation
    3. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    4. Featured Mods

      1. Design Your Own Mission
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Rockstar Games

    2. Rockstar Collectors

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Movies & TV
      5. Music
      6. Sports
      7. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

      1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

    3. Suggestions

What are some of the things you're glad didn't get put in GTA IV?


MiamiViceCity1986

Recommended Posts

Oh man, Vice City was terrible when it comes to assets, especially that most of them suck in terms of missions - I had to do some stupid missions in order to get money to buy assets to continue the game...

 


Edited by Ronald Reagan
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2019 at 3:53 PM, Official General said:

 This does not make much sense. Why on earth would anyone have expected IV to be another San Andreas ? San Andreas was the previous GTA before IV.  The two games are set in completely different settings, locations, time periods, main characters and theme from each other. Anyone with half a brain could not have possibly expected IV to be another San Andreas. 

Actually VCS was the last GTA game before GTA IV. but I'm just being picky.😛

 

I think what he means isn't in a literal sense as of course before GTA IV's release we could tell it was a different time period, setting etc, but the fact is many people use San Andreas as a catalyst to bash GTA IV. GTA IV apparently sucks because it doesn't have planes, GTA IV apparently sucks because it doesn't have jetpacks, GTA IV apparently sucks because it doesn't have as much customisation...I think you get the idea. I've seen it all before.

 

I doubt anyone in their right mind would've expected a San Andreas sequel off of the trailers alone, but deep down (out of wishful thinking) many people expected the "popular" features of San Andreas to have been in GTA IV by default, but underestimated just how much R* wanted a "new direction" and the San Andreas approach didn't fit/mould with their new vision. 

 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SonOfLiberty said:

Actually VCS was the last GTA game before GTA IV. but I'm just being picky.😛

 

I think what he means isn't in a literal sense as of course before GTA IV's release we could tell it was a different time period, setting etc, but the fact is many people use San Andreas as a catalyst to bash GTA IV. GTA IV apparently sucks because it doesn't have planes, GTA IV apparently sucks because it doesn't have jetpacks, GTA IV apparently sucks because it doesn't have as much customisation...I think you get the idea. I've seen it all before.

 

I doubt anyone in their right mind would've expected a San Andreas sequel off of the trailers alone, but deep down (out of wishful thinking) many people expected the "popular" features of San Andreas to have been in GTA IV by default, but underestimated just how much R* wanted a "new direction" and the San Andreas approach didn't fit/mould with their new vision. 

 

To be fair some of those complaints/comparisons were legitimate. Some people are so quick to view them as a direct method of bashing IV, which is not really the case when you look deeper into it. IV was the first GTA title to employ and utilize HD gaming technology, which had been out for a few years at the time. We had already seen what stunning features HD gaming technology had offered us before IV was released, so many GTA fans were expecting Rockstar to fully capitalise on the power of HD gaming technology and not only just make IV look all graphically nice with better effects, but with more features to add too, it was believed it would be very easy to do, which is understandable. But the other complaints like flying planes and jetpacks were silly in my opinion, it just did not suite IV and I still stand by that. 

 

 

Edited by Official General
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Official General said:

To be fair some of those complaints/comparisons were legitimate. Some people are so quick to view them as a direct method of bashing IV, which is not really the case when you look deeper into it. IV was the first GTA title to employ and utilize HD gaming technology, which had been out for a few years at the time. We had already seen what stunning features HD gaming technology had offered us before IV was released, so many GTA fans were expecting Rockstar to fully capitalise on the power of HD gaming technology and not only just make IV look all graphically nice with better effects, but with more features to add too, it was believed it would be very easy to do, which is understandable. But the other complaints like flying planes and jetpacks were silly in my opinion, it just did not suite IV and I still stand by that. 

 

 

Don't get wrong I'm not saying there aren't any legitimate complaints. I have a list I thought could've been done better too.

 

But the thing that's always kind of irked me as a GTA IV fan is the mindset that the game doesn't do anything beyond graphics. Never mind that GTA IV actually did introduce features to the series not even the 3D era GTAs had. Sure it sacrificed features here and there, but like I said this wasn't what R* saw would fit with the vision they had in mind. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Billy Russo

Multiple playable characters like V did. Niko Bellic is remembered fondly and had great character development because they focused on him and his story like how it should be. I really hope VI goes back to a single playable character because I feel it gives them more time to carve out a better story and it doesn't become overly ambitious and switching around all the time.

 

At the same time I was appreciate what Rockstar were trying to do with the Heists, but I really do feel like the Story suffered because they tried to pack so much in.

 

I like how IV did it with the Episodes. Each episode focuses on a different playable character, that to me is better.

Edited by Billy Russo
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 12/28/2019 at 2:16 AM, Max.pain said:

-weapon skills aboviously

-missions like the black project & green goo that make zero sense

I can see those skills are annoyed as hell . They should depend on the player's hand , not obtained by the game stats .

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
billiejoearmstrong8

I'm also glad there's no supernatural nonsense in IV. A magical swingset is enough for me.

 

Epsilon stuff just wouldn't have fit very well since it's such a Los Santos/Los Angeles thing being a Scientology parody. New York City isn't known for cults. I think there are a very small number of references to it, but it's from Los Santos celebrities on the radio etc, nothing going on with it in Liberty City.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

never really thought about this one. some people have already commented the same things but i still want to think out my list.

 

defiantly glad no underwater swimming, i never seen the benefit of it in any gta game.

 

wanted star removal things (the floating things you got to reduce your wanted level) i highly prefer the escape out of the police circle

 

cars blowing up when tipped upside down within a few seconds of it happening

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

this is a thing that may cause controuversy with fellow IV fans....

 

i'm glad they didn't take money from your account to pay for roman's gambling debts. that sh*t would have been annoying.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Niobium said:

this is a thing that may cause controuversy with fellow IV fans....

 

i'm glad they didn't take money from your account to pay for roman's gambling debts. that sh*t would have been annoying.

 

Then how would Niko be """""supporting""""" Roman like he says in cutscenes?

It'd be great if they did, or rather his pay was halved because the other half went to Roman. Just like in GTA 3, you can have too much money in the game and it can actually f*ck up the plot. Niko can be bitching about how they're broke and on the run with thousands and thousands of dollars.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, universetwisters said:

Niko can be bitching about how they're broke and on the run with thousands and thousands of dollars.

That's kinda funny. Broke Niko but has a penthouse, expensive cars, and a golden toilet.

Edited by Zello
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
MiamiViceCity1986

A prologue mission like GTA V.

 

Over the years I've seen people suggest that GTA IV should've had a prologue mission during when Niko was in the war and we should've seen Florian, Darko and so on, but I don't see how that would've been necessary. Infact I like that Niko's background pre-GTA IV is left as ambiguous. We only get a sense of his background through what he says and through writing (Like email), but we never get to see it ourselves because the writing is so competent in its delivery it doesn't need extra exposition.

 

For me having a prologue mission would actually work against Niko's pursuit of "That Special Someone". I love how GTA IV manages to feel so mysterious in how we don't know who Florian and Darko are yet at the same time NIko has an incredibly deep and extensive backstory and we don't even need to see what his life was like before the game starts. 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 11 months later...
Posted (edited)

RC missions from 3D Universe.

 

On 5/24/2020 at 7:47 AM, Algonquin Assassin said:

A prologue mission like GTA V.

 

Over the years I've seen people suggest that GTA IV should've had a prologue mission during when Niko was in the war and we should've seen Florian, Darko and so on, but I don't see how that would've been necessary. Infact I like that Niko's background pre-GTA IV is left as ambiguous. We only get a sense of his background through what he says and through writing (Like email), but we never get to see it ourselves because the writing is so competent in its delivery it doesn't need extra exposition.

 

For me having a prologue mission would actually work against Niko's pursuit of "That Special Someone". I love how GTA IV manages to feel so mysterious in how we don't know who Florian and Darko are yet at the same time NIko has an incredibly deep and extensive backstory and we don't even need to see what his life was like before the game starts. 

You just give me idea about how GTA V will looks like minus the prologue. Franklin & Lamar as the first mission instead. You don't know who Michael and Trevor truly are until "Bury the Hatchet", and what actually really happened in North Yankton. That definitely will make the story more interesting.

 

I glad R* didn't continue this approach, or else, we would have the Blackwater Massacre as RDR2's opening mission.

Edited by wise_man
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
MiamiViceCity1986
On 5/9/2021 at 1:02 PM, wise_man said:

RC missions from 3D Universe.

 

You just give me idea about how GTA V will looks like minus the prologue. Franklin & Lamar as the first mission instead. You don't know who Michael and Trevor truly are until "Bury the Hatchet", and what actually really happened in North Yankton. That definitely will make the story more interesting.

 

I glad R* didn't continue this approach, or else, we would have the Blackwater Massacre as RDR2's opening mission.

Pretty much nailed it. As much as I like Bury The Hatchet we already knew what came of Brad. I think it would’ve been more impactful if like you said we didn’t know who Michael and Trevor truly were.

 

That’s what makes Florian and Darko such interesting characters IMO. We know they have history with Niko, but we’re also not blinded by preconceived notions of them.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
billiejoearmstrong8
Posted (edited)

That's funny, the first time I saw the GTA V story it was through watching my brother play it and I missed the prologue part, so all the stuff relating to it actually was a surprise. Can't really say if it made things better or not (it probably meant some things went over my head) but I did enjoy it that way. Trevor's first scene with Ashley and Johnny was definitely very impactful, I'm glad I hadn't already seen him yet that first time I watched it. 

 

Related, I feel like they really missed an opportunity with Wei Cheng. Before we'd seen him the phone calls with Trevor were great. That could've been the build up towards a dramatic meeting scene. But instead he's just....there....in Fresh Meat. I didn't even realise he wasn't just a random goon, and he might as well have been. Trevor isn't even there, and in fact never meets him, and he doesn't have much of a meaningful exchange with Michael or Franklin either. Waste of a character. Thinking of some of the fantastic villian reveals in IV....there's no comparison. 

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
JimFitzgeraldBiker

Beach clothing and anything that reveals Niko's arms, legs, feet, body, underwear.

Link to post
Share on other sites
billiejoearmstrong8
Posted (edited)

It would've been dumb to be running around in underwear but I would've liked to see Niko's arms 😛. I guess it made sense since it's meant to be cold weather but I think not even being able to wear a t shirt was probably done more for the convenience of not having to design them (since designing a character that looks good/consistent both with and without layers of clothes is a whole other thing than just doing one or the other) than as an artistic choice.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

-Jetpack. I mean, what's the point?

-Vehicle side-missions like Paramedic, Fire Fighter, etc. IMO they weren't even that fun for me.

 

Edited by OH76
Link to post
Share on other sites
The Tracker
On 5/12/2021 at 9:43 AM, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

It would've been dumb to be running around in underwear but I would've liked to see Niko's arms 😛. I guess it made sense since it's meant to be cold weather but I think not even being able to wear a t shirt was probably done more for the convenience of not having to design them (since designing a character that looks good/consistent both with and without layers of clothes is a whole other thing than just doing one or the other) than as an artistic choice.

It would've been cool if it happened like Mafia 2, where sleeping automatically changed your clothes, that way we could've seen Niko's arms, legs and body type, in a way that wouldn't have ruined the climate immersion.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
HOW'S ANNIE?
On 5/14/2021 at 8:00 PM, OH76 said:

 

-Vehicle side-missions like Paramedic, Fire Fighter, etc. IMO they weren't even that fun for me.

 

Idk, I've always thought that they could have easily worked paramedic missions into the game. Could have easily worked similar to Jacobs drug deliveries, except for the street doctor you meet in Have a Heart. Call him up, grab his van and pick up patients in a variety of different situations, bringing them back to his back-door practice before they die from their injuries.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
icebeeblue
1 hour ago, CynicalMexican said:

Trigger happy cops who go berserk after a few seconds

Making silly things😆

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.