1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Nourchame

Was GTA San Andreas way ahead of its time?

Nourchame

When you guys played San Andreas for the first time when it came out, What was your first impression of it and was it better than most games you played before it?

SonOfLiberty

No.

Literally my first impression was "Eww this game somehow looks worse than Vice City". Not kidding. As I've said many times before in other discussions San Andreas always left a bad taste in my mouth and it's one of the few GTA games I couldn't be bothered to finish.

DOUGL4S1

In technical and graphical terms? No, it didn't really have mind-blowingly good graphics (even for 2004), it has pop-in problems even in modern hardware and I personally prefer the weather effects from Vice City.

In terms of missions, features and stuff to do? Absolutelly, it's probably the GTA I took the longest to 100%, and I still haven't explored everything I could do (mostly because I don't care about the girlfriends system).

I remember I wasn't blown away when I first played it, mostly because I couldn't understand a dickle of english and had no idea of what to do in missions, so I would just explore around. But when I did get an understanding of how to play it, I was pretty impressed by just how much stuff there is to do.

santosvagos

No i don't think it's ahead of its time in 2004 , Vive city have better graphic , effect and weapon sounds but i still love GTA SA  i always love things that take inspiration from life in the hoods and Rockstar did a good job in SA even the storyline feel some kind of lost in the middle of the game  . 

LCLegend

In terms of how impressive games can get, not limited to GTA, SA blew my mind, I wouldn't necessarily say it was ahead of its time but the amount of content Rockstar crammed onto a PS2 disc is amazing.

El Penguin Bobo

Back in 2004, hell yeah. There was so much stuff to do, so many features and stats, and a big ass map. It was everyone's game back then. No one couldn't pull any of this off in 2004.

But, of course, currently, you can see the outdatedness in the game. The AI, sound effects, (they were sh*tty in the first place), draw distance, stats, etc. Right now, there's better games out there.

Doesn't mean I'll stop playing SA though, lol.

ChengizVlad09

I don't want to sound being full of $hit, but that game is still ahead of the newer instalments (at least) when it comes to some things, like driving mechanics for example - which is the very core of the gameplay and one of the gameplay backbones of the franchise, whether you like the driving aspect or not.

Not only is driving physics far more sophisticated and offers much more in that sense, but everything after that looks like dumbed down version of driving mechanics shown in SA.

Edited by ChengizVlad09

Lioshenka

I am not a huge fan of new games, so yeah, when I launched GTA SA I was absolutely blown away by it.

The thing that impressed me the most were the bumpers that could be damaged in such a way that they stay on, but keep bouncing up and down as you drive. This was amazing.

Of course, things that you had to experience early in the game - cycling, countryside, spray paintingm heat rising from the pavement and pink mohawk were also impressive compared to GTA 3 and VC, Warcraft 2, Commander Keen and Dangerous Dave.

I have played allegedly more advanced games later, and to be fair, advanced as they are, they fail to be as impressive as SA. Mafia series are the only ones that are comparably good.

Edited by Lioshenka

Streck
5 hours ago, Lioshenka said:

I am not a huge fan of new games, so yeah, when I launched GTA SA I was absolutely blown away by it.

The thing that impressed me the most were the bumpers that could be damaged in such a way that they stay on, but keep bouncing up and down as you drive. This was amazing.

Of course, things that you had to experience early in the game - cycling, countryside, spray paintingm heat rising from the pavement and pink mohawk were also impressive compared to GTA 3 and VC, Warcraft 2, Commander Keen and Dangerous Dave.

I have played allegedly more advanced games later, and to be fair, advanced as they are, they fail to be as impressive as SA. Mafia series are the only ones that are comparably good.

I agree, the old games are where it's at. Are the new ones sweet as well? - Yes. But III, VC, and SA are where it's at. I actually stream on the weekends and working on the SA grind (360 version backwards compat on a X1). Twitch.tv/Strecktacular

TheSantader25

I just couldn't understand how a game could be this good and complete. It was nearly perfect. 

Official General

My first impression of it playing it back in 2004, I was blown away indeed. The sheer variety, size, and scale of the map had my eyes wide open to begin with. And the seemingly endless amount of new and revolutionary features and activities had my jaw-dropping. To me it was the best game of it's kind I had seen so far.

* The new concept of recruiting gang members and doing drive-by shootings had me wrapped in total amazement.

* The variety, beauty, and size of the map enthralled me to no end, I could not get enough of travelling between 3 cities and countryside.

* There were very few things in the game that were missing, and so much that was there.

* I could not put the game down for months on end. 

I really could not get my around the fact that a game like SA was possible to make at the time it first came out with the gaming technology of that time. I would say in some features it definitely led the way and was quite ahead.

Edited by Official General

LordStarship

I wouldn't say it's ahead of it's time, but for such a game it was actually very impressive. The map is quite large with lots of things and easter eggs to discover. What blew my mind back in like 2009, is that you can customize your own character. Fat, healthy, afro, using blue jeans or green jeans, different hats, it's just very impressive back at it's time. The missions are also quite impressive, even in End of The Line, they still give you useful tip, example to wear night vision google, which was not introduced. The storyline is very good, but some characters development like Ryder and T-Bone were not pretty great, mostly due to real life issues. The A.I. is pretty good at it's time, and the graphic is a little better compared to Vice City. 

Well, it's not way ahead, but i'd say it's ahead just a little bit. GTA SA is one succesful game, back in it's era, and even now. 

DeftMacaroon510

Absolutely, no gta game since has even had as much both content and freedom at the same time as this one did and it’s pretty obvious that they never will again, 5 tried to imitate it and failed miserably and half of SA’s features were missing to begin with, not to mention that the gameplay is less clunky in this than a game that released in 2013. I love every game in the series but San Andreas is just untouched and way above the others, I actually personally have more nostalgia for vice city but I feel it just doesn’t hold up like this does. The gameplay, story and map are still so brilliant that the graphics aren’t even a consideration to me.

lil weasel

It was advanced, concurrent with the Video Card and Memory capabilities of the Day.

Using the best specs of the equipment, many machines could not handle it.

It was the best mix of graphics and Play-ability at the time.

So of course it WAS a leading expansion to game play.

Big_Smiley
On 7/12/2019 at 9:30 PM, LCLegend said:

In terms of how impressive games can get, not limited to GTA, SA blew my mind, I wouldn't necessarily say it was ahead of its time but the amount of content Rockstar crammed onto a PS2 disc is amazing.

If wasn't for the low graphics mabye the PS2 would have blown up after so many plays, lol. It really was impressive how much they could push the PS2's limits with such a huge game like this. Just like they did with V on both the PS3 and 360. Really at the time who would have thought having three large citites including rual areas and a desert was even manageable on such a early time in gaming. Especially for the PS2 era.