1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

What kind of protagonist do you want?

The Holy Diver

billiejoearmstrong8
14 minutes ago, GRANDHEIST said:

I felt little bit of disconnect in RDR2 when I fed a person to an alligator and then in the next mission Arthur is horrified by someone being fed to an alligator

The protagonist really should be someone who would actually do anything players do in free roam

Yeah I do like when that's at least feasible at a stretch. Like, Claude and Tommy seem cold enough for that, Trevor obviously, and I like how with Niko it can kind of be explained by psychological trauma from his war experiences (right down to disturbingly anguished war cries when he really loses it and goes into battle mode). The character has to have enough likeable traits to be an anti hero rather than a total villain who you dislike, but it's definitely better that they're not too good (or if they are, that there's a believable reason that they're not good sometimes). When both the story and freeroam can feel believable that's the best.

A relatable one, three GTA V characters are horrible, Michael and his family are a piece of sh*t, Franklin is bland and dull, and Trevor is pushed waaaaay to much to be interesting more than 15 minutes

I came out of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood feeling a protagonist like Cliff Booth would work really well. 

Playing a character that is/was a stuntman works for a lot of different reasons. I’d love for the game to be set around that era too. 

• Like 2
On 7/12/2019 at 8:42 PM, GRANDHEIST said:

Foreigner, maybe someone born in a favela type slum, forced to a gang life & drug dealing

+ game could start in the slum and we would then work ourselves out of there to the glossy Vice City

Maybe for starters player could be introduced to the GTA World as a novice in Guernsey City deal with Tommy, 

A unnamed player contacts this Sam Deever who wants this young cop dead cos he might implicate him , 

Deever don't want the DA to know of his nefarious acts.

Turns out Deever's slot knows about this too, and plans to rat out that old SAM come on , now the HELLS ANGELS 

did not pay DEEVER the debt protection money he wants payback. (List goes on)

YOU the Player protagonist must deal with that .

8 hours ago, JC_HUMBLE said:

Like Ryan Gosling was in Driver and Blade Runner 2049

Yeah, I’m kinda hoping we can get something like that in Cyberpunk 2077, though.

• Like 2
On 8/6/2019 at 8:28 AM, OG Freddy LOC said:

Maybe for starters player could be introduced to the GTA World as a novice in Guernsey City deal with Tommy, 

A unnamed player contacts this Sam Deever who wants this young cop dead cos he might implicate him , 

Deever don't want the DA to know of his nefarious acts.

Turns out Deever's slot knows about this too, and plans to rat out that old SAM come on , now the HELLS ANGELS 

did not pay DEEVER the debt protection money he wants payback. (List goes on)

YOU the Player protagonist must deal with that .

Ooh, I see a GTA1 veteran!😎

• 1 year later...
Damien Scott

There's two kind of characters it would be interesting to see:

1. An intimidating ex-con who loses his job because of the economy and has no other option than to go back to the criminal life. Similar to Vince Vaughn's character in ''Brawl in Cell Block 99''.

763?appId=93a17a8fd81db0de025c8abd1cca12

2. A successful family man who gets arrested for a crime/an accident, loses everything he had (family, job, friends) and ends up turning into a hardened criminal. Think of Nikolaj Coster-Waldau in ''Shot Caller''.

La%20Fratellanza%20Nikolaj%20Coster-Wald

z22568018ICR,Kadr-z-filmu--Skazany-.jpg

We've already seen many characters trying to get out of the criminal life, now let's see some turning or going back to that life.

• 1 month later...
chainedwarhead9

Top 3 gotta be...

A Saul Goodman type but delves into crime way more for his own good

A Triad like they did in china town wars but make it a proper game

and either ex military (Dishonorable discharge) or ex IAA agent? I think they did ex military in VCS, never played it

Shyabang Shyabang

If during the 20s: someone who resembles Brock Lesnar

If during the 80s: someone who resembles Prince

Edited by Shyabang Shyabang
cousinletsgobowling

I think it would kind of be refreshing to have a protagonist who starts off like a totally normal guy but ends up a criminal during the course of the game.

Of course we have seen some great fictional characters like Walter White from Breaking Bad or Wendy and Marty Bryde from the Ozarks. What I like about these particular characters is how they start out and the circumstances that happen to change them.

I mean with GTA characters like Michael, CJ, Claude and Vercetti they are already criminals when we meet them, except for maybe Michael who is retired when first introduced.  I think it makes character development much more interesting. 

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, cousinletsgobowling said:

I think it would kind of be refreshing to have a protagonist who starts off like a totally normal guy but ends up a criminal during the course of the game.

Of course we have seen some great fictional characters like Walter White from Breaking Bad or Wendy and Marty Bryde from the Ozarks. What I like about these particular characters is how they start out and the circumstances that happen to change them.

I mean with GTA characters like Michael, CJ, Claude and Vercetti they are already criminals when we meet them, except for maybe Michael who is retired when first introduced.  I think it makes character development much more interesting. 

The awkward thing with characters like this, is to make it work in an open world game like GTA. You would suppose to be a non criminal doing some non criminal missions at first, while somehow being "allowed" to slam into pedestrians and other cars while completing them? This is already awkward with current GTAs when you're driving with non criminal characters or doing legal-ish work.

(I wouldnt mind having some heavy penalty system for killing people or attempting to steal cars early in the game, the character and gameplay progress would sure feel more significant)

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2021 at 3:33 AM, Collibosher said:

The awkward thing with characters like this, is to make it work in an open world game like GTA. You would suppose to be a non criminal doing some non criminal missions at first, while somehow being "allowed" to slam into pedestrians and other cars while completing them? This is already awkward with current GTAs when you're driving with non criminal characters or doing legal-ish work.

(I wouldnt mind having some heavy penalty system for killing people or attempting to steal cars early in the game, the character and gameplay progress would sure feel more significant)

What happens outside of the mission cutscenes is never cannon. And limiting player freedom because story has never worked for rockstar. Although for some reason they have a bug up their butt and insist on doing so.

Edited by Yinepi

1970s Detroit....(1) Franklin type character- a young tagger rising through the ranks in a world full of pimps/pushers/panthers to become Superfy, with tons of blaxploitation homage! (2) Trevor type character- Vietnam Vet turned loose cannon biker immersed in the world of sex, drugs and rock and roll, with in game Vietnam flashbacks! (3) Micheal Type character- a low level union worker rising through the ranks to seize control of the automotive industry as the next Jimmy Hoffa, after he rids of the first Jimmy Hoffa of coarse! 

Eminem Jeff

Customizable protagonist maybe? Wanted to customize my character instead of using mods...

• 1 month later...
DownInThePMs
Posted (edited)

I think it would be cool if you get to play as a second generation Cuban-American and your best friend and partner in crime is a second-generation Haitian-American. It'll be an antithesis to the sort of antagonistic relationship that both groups had in the original Vice City and would be an awesome way to explore the conflicts within immigrant families and what it means to be an American, sort of like Niko in IV. It'll also bring some potentially funny moments in the game, like the banter between them or the way they talk to other syndicates and gangs.

Edited by DownInThePMs
  • Like 4

Just a normal guy who attached with life of crime, happened to be popular, but prefer to be a freelancer than gang leader. Literally a simple guy like Niko.

• Like 1

Not another cliche. Someone between 28 and 40. Mid-30s preferably. Somebody that is believable both on a rampage but also in story. I always felt a bit odd rampaging with Michael, Franklin or Luis for example.

I also think we're long overdue a latino protagonist in a main GTA.

• Like 2
  • Realistic Steak! 1
Thomas Cavendish
5 minutes ago, Patrizio said:

Somebody that is believable both on a rampage but also in story

2e30f0c50e22d19d5d8dcd2a0ba48547.jpg

6 minutes ago, Patrizio said:

we're long overdue a latino protagonist in a main GTA

Danny Trejo - Bio, Net Worth, Trejo, Movies, TV Show, Actor, Accident,  Rescues Baby, News, Nationality, Ethnicity, Tattoo, Wife, Age, Height,  Prison - Gossip Gist Danny Trejo Imagens e fotografias de stock - Getty Images Danny Trejo: 'I am a badass!' - South Florida Sun Sentinel - South Florida  Sun-Sentinel

Danny Trejo Owns Restaurants in Addition to Being an Actor Danny Trejo holding his newborn son, Donny Trejo Jr. - 1988 : Earwolf

For me, Danny Trejo would be a perfect protagonist of VI.
You can easly imagine him in jail, in the hood, perpetrating a massacre with an axe, but also helping an old lady crossing a street.

This direction would be a perfect scenario IMO.
As you said, GTA already had american italian, afro american, typical white american, imigrant from east, redneck... from the american fauna it's time for a latin badass.

• Like 2
  • KEKW 1
RamsaySaint77

One idea I've thought is a boss for a Cartel in Vice City and a member who does the dirty work

The one thing that hasn't been done yet is having us be the boss from the start, we can be that with one protagonist and for a more traditional Gta experience, also play as a lower ranking cartel

The boss is charming, good looking but also cold and a bad motherf*cker that you don't wanna mess with 

Something along the lines of the villain from Bad Boys II or Miguel Angel Felix Gallardo, specifically how he looked and was portrayed in Narcos Mexico

Edited by RamsaySaint77
  • 2 weeks later...
CynicalMexican
On 6/7/2021 at 3:29 AM, DownInThePMs said:

I think it would be cool if you get to play as a second generation Cuban-American and your best friend and partner in crime is a second-generation Haitian-American. It'll be an antithesis to the sort of antagonistic relationship that both groups had in the original Vice City and would be an awesome way to explore the conflicts within immigrant families and what it means to be an American, sort of like Niko in IV. It'll also bring some potentially funny moments in the game, like the banter between them or the way they talk to other syndicates and gangs.

Hell yeah. Also, they gotta have the Zoe Pound. Would be dope as hell to have them well represented rather than the punchline whipping boys that were the Haitians.