Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. GTANet.com

    1. GTA Online

      1. The Cayo Perico Heist
      2. Find Lobbies & Players
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Vehicles
      5. Content Creator
      6. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Frontier Pursuits
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    3. Crews

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Redemption

    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

      1. St. Andrews Cathedral
    2. GTA VI

    3. GTA V

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

      1. The Lost and Damned
      2. The Ballad of Gay Tony
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
    5. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    6. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    7. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    8. Portable Games

      1. GTA Chinatown Wars
      2. GTA Vice City Stories
      3. GTA Liberty City Stories
    9. Top-Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    1. GTA Mods

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Red Dead Mods

      1. Documentation
    3. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    4. Featured Mods

      1. Design Your Own Mission
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Rockstar Games

    2. Rockstar Collectors

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Movies & TV
      5. Music
      6. Sports
      7. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

      1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

    3. Suggestions

What kind of protagonist do you want?


The Holy Diver

Recommended Posts

Honestly they need to go with a more “personal” route this time

 

like nathan and sam drake, orphaned kids who really had nothing else going for them

 

Kinda like arthur and john i guess

 

dont do the typical being hunted by the mob sh*t thats been done millions of times before

Edited by Equatecurl
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Valtr said:

i Want only ONE MALE PROTAGONIST

yeah i definitely agree. people should just accept the fact that gta is a very masculine game. the only people want gta 6 to have a female protagonist are either sjw idiots who want to push their political agenda and ruin it for everyone else. or its just a bunch of swinger weirdos with fetishes about being girls in video games lol.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
SinisterRaccoon
49 minutes ago, jcole said:

yeah i definitely agree. people should just accept the fact that gta is a very masculine game. the only people want gta 6 to have a female protagonist are either sjw idiots who want to push their political agenda and ruin it for everyone else. or its just a bunch of swinger weirdos with fetishes about being girls in video games lol.

This might be the most overtly pathetic thing I've read on this forum. "Sjw idiots that want to push a political agenda" your talking about rockstar games a publisher known for political sh*t but when it comes to women that's too much? Also "swinger weirdos with fethises of girls in games"

 

 

Who hurt you mate?

On 7/14/2019 at 6:27 AM, JupeShot92 said:

I don't think this matters in a GTA game. Even if men shoot more accurately than women on average, there as still some women who can shoot as accurately or better than some men. Why can't a GTA protagonist be one of those exceptional women? Besides, no man on earth can shoot anywhere near as accurately as any GTA protagonist in real life. Nobody has auto aim, you're supposed to suspend your disbelief. If you can do that for a man why can't you do that for a woman? 

Ya I find it hilarious that a complete tweaker and unstable nutcase like Trevor is actually on par with John Wick.

Edited by UndeadPotat0
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, UndeadPotat0 said:

This might be the most overtly pathetic thing I've read on this forum. "Sjw idiots that want to push a political agenda" your talking about rockstar games a publisher known for political sh*t but when it comes to women that's too much? Also "swinger weirdos with fethises of girls in games"

rockstar is known to throw in jokes about political sh*t in their games but have crime stories be the main focus. does the next gta really have to have a female lead character. gta 6 should have an actual bad guy as the lead character since the series is about crime. i want a guy who is a gangster like tony montana as a protagonist in gta 6 rather than just some basic bitch as the protagonist. if we have character customization where we choose what gender we want our character to be, that would be fine. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Born into gang, no problem with killing & only in America for money 

 

Could make player rampages not so out of character 

 

"This whole town is a pus** just waiting to get fu*ked" - kinda additude

Edited by GRANDHEIST
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a character like Smiley from Training Day would make a good protagonist.

 

LPJ8q4v.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

f*ckin’ sjw, swinger weirdos trying to ruin my GTA with their outrage over social injustices, and their immoral wife swapping, and their... secret fetish, which is to play as a girl...? 

 

Aaanyway, R* has been pretty good when it comes to writing, GTA V being a slight stumble. If the writing is on par with Rdr2, then I don’t care who or what the next protagonist will be. Surprise me, R*. 

 

What does concern me is the microtransaction-palooza that will be GTA VI’s multiplayer and how it might influence the single player. Not the potential political victory/defeat depending on what the main character’s gender will be, ffs...

Edited by Edward Nashton
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to 1 protag, and if its based in Vice City, has some sort of link to the original Vice City game. Maybe Tommy Vercetti's bastard son or something. I just want a better link between the HD/3D era of San Andreas and GTA V and actually have some concrete evidence of the universe being linked

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, universetwisters said:

Either a female or an actual bad guy, not a whiner or "crook with a heart of gold"

Definitely a GTA protagonist.

 

17 hours ago, LCLegend said:

I think the 'good man in a bad man's game' idea for Vic Vance could potentially work for another GTA game, but this time for the character to develop and actually stay consistent. Vic never touched drugs yet ran a drug business anyway. I would like for a protagonist to start out sort of noble but okay with killing and sh*t like Vic was but maybe develop into a person who gets adjusted into the crime world.

this sounds a little stupid but I would just like for Rockstar to use this idea again because it needed some work and I feel like it actually could work again within the world of GTA.

This type works for Mafia games, but not GTA series I know. However I respect your opinion.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Two playable characters. One male and one female.

 

GTA 5 characters was amazing and the story was really good. GTA IV is too overrated imo. I liked the Story, even thought the character that has nothing to do with the plot surprised me a bit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I want something like Trevor, Michael and Franklin - but fusioned into one character! Or just bring someone like CJ and it can't be bad.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Female gangster preferably a vagos or Mara bunta member ruthless and determined to move up through the ranks in a traditonally male dominated environment 

 

Hired gun type like niko or claude no loyalty just following the money

 

Undercover FIB agent 

Edited by Copcaller
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Any protagonist that is not a female. I've nothing against females, but their involvement in hardcore criminal activities is rare compared to males. Creating a female character would smell like R*'s answer to diversity and other 'progressive' issues than a genuine creative writing. 

Edited by Jabalous
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think R* are capable of writing a complex female protagonist. In any case, I have no interest in a female protagonist in GTA. I'll happily play the Lara Croft games(which I've been doing since I was a little lad), or as Ellie in TLOU...but in GTA I want to play as a man. That's what I relate to.

 

I'd prefer if R* gave us more of a blank canvas type of character with minimal backstory, someone who didn't say much, but where we had basic binary options of interaction(like greet/antagonise, or serious/sarcastic etc).

 

Race or nationality don't matter at all to me. 

 

Edited by GinsengElixir
Link to post
Share on other sites
SinisterRaccoon
27 minutes ago, Jabalous said:

Any protagonist that is not a female. I've nothing against females, but their involvement in hardcore criminal activities is rare compared to males. Creating a female character would smell like R*'s answer to diversity and other 'progressive' issues than a genuine creative writing. 

But what if they could write a good character?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, UndeadPotat0 said:

But what if they could write a good character?

The main problem is the fact that females are a minority in hardcore crime. It's more natural that they don't play such a role. You don't even see this in movies, except maybe for the unpopular, badly written ones, if there's anyway. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
billiejoearmstrong8
55 minutes ago, Jabalous said:

The main problem is the fact that females are a minority in hardcore crime. It's more natural that they don't play such a role. You don't even see this in movies, except maybe for the unpopular, badly written ones, if there's anyway. 

That's true and that's why you'd expect the majority of GTA protagonists to be male. But not every single one has to be average or the most common type. For example, Serbian war veterans probably only make up a small minority of New York criminals. But as a one off GTA protagonist it works as an interesting new angle. Similarly only a minority of criminals are women, but that doesn't mean none are or that one couldn't be an interesting protagonist.

 

No one's saying anyone has to pretend that 50% of organised criminals are women and equal representation is needed, that isn't realistic. But since female criminals certainly exist I don't see any reason why one out of who knows how many by now protagonists couldn't happen to be one. Also not every GTA protagonist is the same type of criminal, they don't have to be a mafia boss. All kinds of different levels/roles in crime and women can be found in plenty of them. Decent writers should be able to write female characters just as well as male so that shouldn't be an obstacle. 

 

Saying that I'm not really fussed whether the next protagonist is male or female. I just hope for one that is a criminal and part of the criminal world, that has depth and charm and is well written.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

A certainly interesting aspect about this is that some journalists think it would be empowering to have female killrampaging and driving over pedestrians in the street, lol

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

That's true and that's why you'd expect the majority of GTA protagonists to be male. But not every single one has to be average or the most common type. For example, Serbian war veterans probably only make up a small minority of New York criminals. But as a one off GTA protagonist it works as an interesting new angle. Similarly only a minority of criminals are women, but that doesn't mean none are or that one couldn't be an interesting protagonist.

 

No one's saying anyone has to pretend that 50% of organised criminals are women and equal representation is needed, that isn't realistic. But since female criminals certainly exist I don't see any reason why one out of who knows how many by now protagonists couldn't happen to be one. Also not every GTA protagonist is the same type of criminal, they don't have to be a mafia boss. All kinds of different levels/roles in crime and women can be found in plenty of them. Decent writers should be able to write female characters just as well as male so that shouldn't be an obstacle. 

 

Saying that I'm not really fussed whether the next protagonist is male or female. I just hope for one that is a criminal and part of the criminal world, that has depth and charm and is well written.

It'd be over the top to have a female protagonist kicking grown men in the street with a few button clicks, and steal cars effortlessly by beating gangsters out of their vehicles. It's a scientific fact that women are physically less powerful than men, so odds are they won't fare against a man in a hand-to-hand combat situation, unless the writers somehow create a character with a deep experience in martial arts, which still won't be much useful against grown men and gangsters in particular. It won't fit and it will feel awkward in other departments, too. I trust R* in staying more grounded and believable, and they'd benefit in avoiding some kind of a controversy. There's absolutely no reason to go for a female protagonist path while there are many more choices to go for by simply creating a hardened male criminal.

Edited by Jabalous
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jabalous said:

It'd be over the top to have a female protagonist kicking grown men in the street with a few button clicks, and steal cars effortlessly by beating gangsters out of their vehicles. It's a scientific fact that women are physically less powerful than men, so odds are they won't fair against a man in a hand-to-hand combat situation, unless the writers somehow create a character with a deep experience in martial arts, which still won't be much useful against grown men and gangsters in particular. It won't fit and it will feel awkward in other departments, too. I trust R* in staying more grounded and believable, and they'd benefit in avoiding some kind of a controversy. There's absolutely no reason to go for a female protagonist path while there are much more choices to go for by simply creating a hardened male criminal.

And that's the main reason why I think that male protagonist might be more believable. I'm not against the idea of female protagonists as long as it's done properly, if it's possible in the standards of the GTA series of course.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Grotti Vigilante
11 minutes ago, Jabalous said:

unless the writers somehow create a character with a deep experience in martial arts, which still won't be much useful against grown men and gangsters in particular.

To be so proficient in martial arts that someone physically weaker could take on someone physically stronger without much issue requires great levels of discipline and dedication, in such quantity that those who possessed them wouldn't really turn to crime anyway and could even potentially go into competition for it. Unlike a lot of my reasons though, I wouldn't exactly expect this in a male protagonist either. Some of the lads at my school admit that they would probably have turned more aggressive and violent if not for using all their aggression productively to become great martial artists, so I can say first hand a GTA protagonist so thoroughly trained isn't realistic either. Even despite being trained in hand-to-hand combat, Niko isn't strictly a martial artist in my opinion. He's a hardened veteran with lots of fighting experience in war, but not quite a martial artist, so I wouldn't even count him either. Huang Lee I can't comment on since I've not played Chinatown Wars story in full. 

Edited by Grotti Vigilante
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UndeadPotat0 said:

But what if they could write a good character?

 

Has anyone written a woman who's believable as a violent criminal who can physically dominate a man? At the moment, I can't think of one from any movie or game. She'd have to be someone masculine like Snoop from The Wire and bigger and stronger than Elizabeta Torres. I can't imagine many GTA fans wanting to have a protagonist like that.

 

I think most people who want a female want one who looks like the female characters that people create in GTA Online - thin and attractive. That type of character would be terrible as a protagonist in story mode.

Link to post
Share on other sites
billiejoearmstrong8
30 minutes ago, Jabalous said:

It'd be over the top to have a female protagonist kicking grown men in the street with a few button clicks, and steal cars effortlessly by beating gangsters out of their vehicles. It's a scientific fact that women are physically less powerful than men, so odds are they won't fair against a man in a hand-to-hand combat situation, unless the writers somehow create a character with a deep experience in martial arts, which still won't be much useful against grown men and gangsters in particular. It won't fit and it will feel awkward in other departments, too. I trust R* in staying more grounded and believable, and they'd benefit in avoiding some kind of a controversy. There's absolutely no reason to go for a female protagonist path while there are much more choices to go for by simply creating a hardened male criminal.

Not all GTA protagonists are about brute power though. Michael is an out of shape middle aged man who's been retired for 10 years and the toughest people he beats up in the game are a car salesman and Lazlow. Hand to hand combat also usually only plays a role in like one or two missions at the beginning of the game anyway. You don't find any of the V protagonists beating up tough criminals with their bare hands during the story. Melee weapons exist, guns exist, and criminals that aren't super strong exist. Male or female a GTA protagonist doesn't have to be super strong, that's just one option.

3 minutes ago, Pink Pineapple said:

 

Has anyone written a woman who's believable as a violent criminal who can physically dominate a man? At the moment, I can't think of one from any movie or game. She'd have to be someone masculine like Snoop from The Wire and bigger and stronger than Elizabeta Torres. I can't imagine many GTA fans wanting to have a protagonist like that.

 

I think most people who want a female want one who looks like the female characters that people create in GTA Online - thin and attractive. That type of character would be terrible as a protagonist in story mode.

Why not? That would be awesome. I would want a female protagonist to be a realistic female criminal just like I'd want a male protagonist to be a realistic male criminal.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

GTA is pure fantasy so from that perspective I think people are missing the point with saying that a woman isn't strong enough to handle a grenade launcher or beat men up. That's irrelevant. 

 

I saw how they wrote Sadie Adler. I don't want to be that for a 60hr campaign or 100's hrs of free roam. If they can write a compelling female lead then good for them but I doubt they can. Whereas, GTAV excluded, they are capable of writing compelling male leads. In our era of wokeness I wouldn't be surprised if we have a female protagonist - and why not because woman are real people too as it happens - but the most I'd accept in a GTA game is a two protagonist game where we still get to play as a man.

 

It's a matter of how they'd write it. 

Edited by GinsengElixir
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that I come to think of it, females being physically weaker than males is not necessary unsolvable. This might make the gameplay a little more limited than before, but it'll be believable if carjacks would require a melee weapon or gun to perform.

Link to post
Share on other sites
billiejoearmstrong8

I mean like, it's already not particularly realistic for guys to casually break into cars by smashing windows with their bare hands. I'm sure if an averagely built dude in his late 40s can punch a car window out an athletically built woman also could, or could kick it in instead (which was one method of breaking them for Niko in IV). Women aren't that weak, and we already have to suspend disbelief about a lot of the male protagonist's physical feats.

 

Thinking of a male protagonist, it wouldn't bother me if he wasn't super jacked and strong, and instead had a more average build or some other disadvantages and mostly relied on methods other than brute force. A female protagonist who was big and strong for a woman and also had other traits like being very aggressive or ruthless etc could easily compete with a more averagely built male protagonist who was, say, more brains than muscle, or getting old, or hindered by drugs etc. All GTA protagonists have more strength and endurance than is realistic during game play, but most existing ones are still allowed to have flaws and weaknesses as part of their character design and not just be portrayed as supermen. 

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
Link to post
Share on other sites

Do not repeat similar types, want to experience a fresh criminal protagonist that is never covered, or explored in video game records of past years. 

 

Don't know what type of protagonist should be, since i am not an expert on criminal backgrounds :p but as long as its not repeated i am fine

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Coconut Kid
5 hours ago, Grotti Vigilante said:

To be so proficient in martial arts that someone physically weaker could take on someone physically stronger without much issue requires great levels of discipline and dedication, in such quantity that those who possessed them wouldn't really turn to crime anyway and could even potentially go into competition for it. Unlike a lot of my reasons though, I wouldn't exactly expect this in a male protagonist either. Some of the lads at my school admit that they would probably have turned more aggressive and violent if not for using all their aggression productively to become great martial artists, so I can say first hand a GTA protagonist so thoroughly trained isn't realistic either. Even despite being trained in hand-to-hand combat, Niko isn't strictly a martial artist in my opinion. He's a hardened veteran with lots of fighting experience in war, but not quite a martial artist, so I wouldn't even count him either. Huang Lee I can't comment on since I've not played Chinatown Wars story in full. 

This is an interesting point.

 

I haven't considered it before now but an ex-competition athlete has protagonist material.

 

There are discipline and dedication and then there's also the need to put bread on the table when you're fighting once every two-to-three months, your purse is £1,000 at best and your expenses leave you operating at a loss.

 

The likes of Anthony Joshua and Connor McGregor with multi-million purses & sponsorships will never have to stand on a door in their life, but there will always be an oversupply of skilled martial artists to the security industry and local thugs will always see this as their fertile ground for recruiting debt collectors and standover men. Many will put their time and energy into becoming a trained fighter only to find that their skills (and reputation) are only profitable on the muscle market. And this could be a great place to build a protagonist and their psyche from.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.