3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

The Holy Diver

What kind of protagonist do you want?

The Holy Diver

Red Dead Redemption 2 is my favorite Rockstar game, and that’s largely in part due to how well-written and engrossing the protagonist, Arthur Morgan, is. For the next GTA, I really want to see a player character who can hold a candle to Arthur - or perhaps, even surpass him in how developed their story arc and personality will be.

Give me your ideas for what your ideal GTA 6 character would be. Everything. Nationality, gender, backstory - etc. I personally want to see Rockstar go into a territory they have never ventured into before - that being creating a female protagonist. 

It would be an interesting take. Organized crime, as far as I understand, seems to more or less be a male dominated profession. Enter a female gangster, one who is as hardened and strong as her criminal associates, but struggles to make her presence known. Of course, I would hope that the narrative would be much more complex than that. 

That’s just my idea. Tell me yours.

Edited by The Holy Diver

Finite

The protagonist being female doesn't matter, because none of the characters have any gender anyway, they're smooth as dolls down there fella.

Gender being out, Rockstar should consider having you play as an ex cop. Not one that currently follows the law for whatever reason, but someone who is familiar with it and intelligent enough to know how crime works, similarly a private detective would also be an interesting character to play as, a vigilante who's above the law when it suits their own means and wishes.

Outside of that more crazy people, Trevor was fun because with him the ludonarrative dissonance was at a complete minimum.

Just for the love of everything, no more Franklin's. Please Rockstar, no more fan service characters that have nothing to do in the main plot but show up on occasion and who have the personality of a piece of toast.

Grotti Vigilante

I’d like a white Italian-American character who, after spending a long time in prison, is sent down to a new location by his old boss even despite his suspicions that he had betrayed him years earlier. In this new location things go wrong and he wastes no time to start sorting things out and... hold on, wait.

Now actually being serious, I would like the nationality/ethnicity to fit the setting of the game. If it’s a mobster it’s got to be an Italian-American, if it’s the Cartel a Mexican or Colombian. I don’t care so long as it fits the criminal element.

For other areas, I’d want a strong man with traditional masculine qualities of stoicism, courage, aggression etc, who gets stuff done and doesn’t take crap from anyone. He has bosses of course when he works for people, but he has his own agenda too and has no qualms walking away when the offer isn’t to his liking. People here already know how I feel about a female protagonist so I won’t address this point made in the OP. 

Like Arthur Morgan though, I’d want them to be a bit deeper in their character development. I don’t just want a black and white antihero, but someone who is a damaged individual on a journey rising through the criminal underworld. It’d take a whole essay for the to properly describe but I hope I’ve got the basic message across in this single post.

Edited by Grotti Vigilante

The Holy Diver
48 minutes ago, Finite said:

The protagonist being female doesn't matter, because none of the characters have any gender anyway, they're smooth as dolls down there fella.

Gender being out, Rockstar should consider having you play as an ex cop. Not one that currently follows the law for whatever reason, but someone who is familiar with it and intelligent enough to know how crime works, similarly a private detective would also be an interesting character to play as, a vigilante who's above the law when it suits their own means and wishes.

Outside of that more crazy people, Trevor was fun because with him the ludonarrative dissonance was at a complete minimum.

Just for the love of everything, no more Franklin's. Please Rockstar, no more fan service characters that have nothing to do in the main plot but show up on occasion and who have the personality of a piece of toast.

Then why would it matter if they did another male protagonist? It’s not as if they have ever done anything else. I just think that the dynamics which would take place from a female crook ascending the criminal ladder (if that’s part of the narrative anyway) would be interesting. And well, it’s generally good representation. It’s something different.

I do think the idea of a crooked cop as the protagonist is interesting. But the vigilante concept is one that strikes me as rich. They could go anywhere with that. A vigilante protagonist could be fused with the “crazy” character archetype like Trevor. They would adhere to a highly unusual personal philosophy that everyone would be utterly confused by, but seems to make perfect sense to them. Blue and Orange morality, so to speak. Their vigilante acts, whoever is on the receiving end of it, would be dictated by this unique moral code. 

Outside of a female criminal or a vigilante, I think an East Asian criminal would make for an interesting protagonist. They could hypothetically be a Triad, or a Yakuza. In the latter case, an foreigner who arrived in the United States on Yakuza business, but has to stay longer than he anticipated because of unforeseen complications. Triads as we know them are more of a Chinese-American phenomenon than native, I think. 

Edited by The Holy Diver

Len Lfc

GTA III had mute, Claude. Vice City had Tommy Vercetti, SA had CJ, IV had Niko, Johnny and Luis and V had Michael Franklin and Trevor. Rockstar have never let me down. RDR1 & 2 had John and Arthur. I have no real idea for any kind of protagonist I want. I just want someone 'likeable'. Someone I can enjoy spending time with over 100 hours. I don't have to like them as a human being, but enjoy their voice, their personality and ambitions, etc. I liked Trevor, but I don't think he could hold his own game. If I had to pick, someone like Tommy or Arthur.

Grotti Vigilante
30 minutes ago, The Holy Diver said:

Outside of a female criminal or a vigilante, I think an East Asian criminal would make for an interesting protagonist. They could hypothetically be a Triad, or a Yakuza. In the latter case, an foreigner who arrived in the United States on Yakuza business, but has to stay longer than he anticipated because of unforeseen complications. Triads as we know them are more of a Chinese-American phenomenon than native, I think. 

This idea could potentially work, especially if Rockstar had decided to go back to San Fierro. I’d love a HD universe Woozie-like character. Woozie’s missions were some of the best for me in San Andreas.

Finite
42 minutes ago, The Holy Diver said:

Then why would it matter if they did another male protagonist? It’s not as if they have ever done anything else. I just think that the dynamics which would take place from a female crook ascending the criminal ladder (if that’s part of the narrative anyway) would be interesting. And well, it’s generally good representation. It’s something different.

Making a character for the sole sake of representation or being different is a quick fire way to ensure they turn into another Franklin, defined by what their tag lines say they are rather than who they actually are. characters are so rarely defined on their strengths, it's their weaknesses that give them character and if you take away the only real distinguishing weaknesses being female gives you then you've got a Mary Sue sort of character which defeats the purpose of showing off the character in the first place, they become a caricature of themselves much like Franklin, Luis and Saddie. Characters like Michelle, Kate, Karen and Abigail have done a far better job at representing people that live in that world than those other three ever did.

A lot of it comes down to giving the character authenticity, women like this do not exist, there aren't women out there at the higher levels of organised crime doing GTA-esque stuff, the cleaner, assassin, physical stuff is an especially male-dominated demographic, mainly due to physical differences in average strength, height, predisposition towards violence etc, even someone like Ronda Rousey would have an issue fighting someone with moderate experience near to her own size just due to the biological differences between how upper body and lower body strength is distributed across different genders anatomy.And so engaging in combat with a character like that would be out of place, just as it is for Michael in GTA V (Middle-aged bank robber with a poor physic who hasn't been active for a decade) and just as it was for Niko in GTA IV (his actions always lead to others being harmed as a result and he laments this frequently but never tries to find alternative solutions, everything in favor of the almighty dollar) and it doesn't really help unless you've got several characters that you're really trying to show off the dynamics between them but in GTA V they tried it and it didn't work so I'm not sold on Rockstar going down the multiple protagonist route again.

To be 100% clear on this there isn't really any reason to have a female lead in a GTA game, simply because what does the protagonist being a different gender do other than add a lot to the ludonarrative dissonance - something great protagonists like Niko Bellic also have issue with? Not much: I don't want that, I want a character that's deeper than Franklin, that doesn't have a tonal shift out of nowhere like Sadie Addler and one that fits the more grounded stories Rockstar are telling, if we're talking a female lead definitely someone more akin to an Abigal or Karen, if we're talking about more than simply gender, the profession of the character and their history in the world is far more important than their non-existent digital genitals tbh. I want to enjoy a new character for more than just the fact their giving representation to a newer audience a chance; I want a character like Charles, like Sean like Dutch. Characters that are who they are and were for their identity to define them via their flaws in constant conflict with their strengths.

That's why when talking about what kind of protagonist you'd want in a game, the most important thing is to come up with someone whose very presence is compelling, not because they're different. Niko was different but that wasn't what made him compelling, he could have been just another angry Russian mobster working his way to the top but the immigration dynamic, the bond he shares between him and Roman and him and Kate, the stranger in a new land while still being chased by the ghosts of his past.

That's what made Niko compelling. That's what we should want out of our next protagonist IMO.

Edited by Finite

SonOfLiberty

I'd be interested in playing another foreign type character like Niko coming to America. I'm not too fussed about nationality as I don't think that's what makes a character great, but if I had to choose I think a Middle Eastern character would be interesting and refreshing.

Regardless I love the feeling of playing a foreigner that's experiencing the location for the first time as it makes me connect more with their journey which is one of the reasons I love Niko's character.

GRANDHEIST

Foreigner, maybe someone born in a favela type slum, forced to a gang life & drug dealing

+ game could start in the slum and we would then work ourselves out of there to the glossy Vice City

Edited by GRANDHEIST

Grotti Vigilante
46 minutes ago, SonOfLiberty said:

I'd be interested in playing another foreign type character like Niko coming to America. I'm not too fussed about nationality as I don't think that's what makes a character great, but if I had to choose I think a Middle Eastern character would be interesting and refreshing.

Not to get too political and what not, but I think it'd be very interesting to see how such a character would deal with confrontation from bigots, especially if set in Vice City and you have prejudice characters similar to Marty-Jay Williams. I remember when his friends asked Vic how high he could jump. A similar confrontation would make for quite a dramatic scene in game, though with the current political climate it'll cause so much of a fuss it'll be overwhelming. For some it may be too close to home...

Damien Scott

I'd like to see dirty cop similar to Alonzo Harris from Training Day. Sure, a cop protagonist in GTA wouldn't be easy to make but Rockstar could make it work. 

I also think that a protagonist with no criminal background would be very interesting. See someone who has never held a gun turning into a cold-blooded criminal.

3 hours ago, Finite said:

because none of the characters have any gender anyway, they're smooth as dolls down there fella.

Spoiler

D4TnI-bWwAAOprT.jpg

Edited by Damien Scott

GTA-Biker

Some of my picks would be:

outlaw biker-we already had Johnny in GTA TLAD,but that was just a story DLC for GTA 4,and not a full game,so there's still a lot of new stuff they could do with a biker protagonist and his gang,showing how they operate and what they do (not to mention new features like motorcycle customization and a selection of biker themed clothing similar to GTA Online would be a great addition too).To avoid just making TLAD 2.0,they could also make the protagonist's gang get along well this time instead of fighting all the time,splitting into two factions and starting a civil war,have the gang actually feel like a brotherhood and stick together no matter what happens,and have the protagonist enjoy kicking rival gang's asses with them.Plus,if R* decides to make a game set in the past,story about biker gangs would fit perfectly in the 70s setting.

car guy-they could make a protagonist that's mostly involved in car-related crimes.This character could be heavily involved in illegal street racing,get hired by professional robbers to be a getaway driver,steal cars for some shady mechanic who would strip them for parts,etc.A game with this protagonist would be more focused on driving than fighting (though the protagonist could still be a competent shooter in missions that involve combat),but it would make the game more realistic since you would rarely have to mow down dozens of cops or thugs and would more often use your driving skills to escape dangerous situations,at least when it comes to missions,freeroam could still have all the usual violence.R* could make this character a female (something like Letty from F&F movies),which would also please players who want a female GTA protagonist.

Latino street gang member-So far we never had a Latin-American protagonist who's a member of a street gang (Luis was implied to be a former gangbanger and was still in contact with a couple of his friends from the gang,but he wasn't an active member anymore).If they make the next game set in Vice City,a member of a Cuban street gang would be a good choice for the protagonist.

triad or yakuza member-while GTA CTW was focused on triads,it was exclusive to portable consoles like Nintendo DS and PSP,and many people,including myself,never played it.A main game set in San Fierro,with a triad or a yakuza protagonist would be interesting.

Tao Cheng

Huang Lee or one of those aliens that probed Michael in GTAV. If you can't play either of those guys, I'm not buying.

GTA-V-Frozen-Alien-Front-Left-350x300.jp

I want an alien gang fighting these mob of 180 clowns inside one van as the final mission.

Since Trevor alone killed the mood and made the entire HD era all goofy.

Your protag alien was probably born at the swamps located at the outskirts of Vice City.

Emmi

If they can come up with a character as great as Arthur again I don't mind ... Arthur Morgan is by far my most favorite protagonist from any videogame released to date. Michael, Trevor and Franklin on the other hand ... geez, I hate them so much, one reason I stopped playing the game back in the day was them. I just couldn't stand these guys any longer. 🤢

iiCriminnaaL 49

I personally prefer to control a protagonist that's new to the region the events occur in. Not necessary an immigrant to the US, it'll fine if he was at least new to the state, or even the city only.

MojoGamer

For a change, i'll like one without a penis like a female protagonist.

Tomb Raider has always done it, Rockstar Games should give it a shot.

As for story  i'll like to see us as a cop or merryweather, fighting drug lords in Cuba till 1 drug lord showed her the truth and turn on the government.

Edited by MojoGamer

José_Sócrates

I would like to see a character without a criminal background become a criminal. Not neccessarily like Vic, but for example a guy with a sh*tty job and that is pretty much fed up with his current life, somehow gets involved with some criminals, discovers that crime pays, says "f*ck it" and becomes a full-blown criminal. I think it could fit GTA, specially if he goes "insane" (but not like Trevor though). Hell, they could even introduce a mission down the line where the protagonist has to find a creative way to whack his former douchebag boss.

Yinepi

In reality what I really want can basically be summarized as an Arena War Claude. All the whiny Micheal De Slipperwearers can go away.

Edited by Yinepi

Zello
17 hours ago, Finite said:

How was Franklin fan service?

TheSpectre

This is probably gonna be an unpopular opinion, but I want them to revisit an old protagonist. Probably too soon for the IV or V trios, but I'd like to see Tommy or CJ again.

Zello

Gimme a corrupt cop who's been on the force for years. Going through a nasty divorce and has internal affairs up his ass for all the dirty sh*t he's been involved in.

Italian-American mobster who's trying to work his way up the ladder and become a Made man. He's pretty young and reckless and breaks a lot of rules getting him in trouble with his crew at times. His best friend who he grew up with is also involved in the life of crime and in the same crew is revealed to be a rat has evidence and stuff on tape that could take the entire crew down and he has to make the hard choice of killing him.

Edited by Zello

Len Lfc
4 hours ago, José_Sócrates said:

I would like to see a character without a criminal background become a criminal. Not neccessarily like Vic, but for example a guy with a sh*tty job and that is pretty much fed up with his current life, somehow gets involved with some criminals, discovers that crime pays, says "f*ck it" and becomes a full-blown criminal. I think it could fit GTA, specially if he goes "insane" (but not like Trevor though). Hell, they could even introduce a mission down the line where the protagonist has to find a creative way to whack his former douchebag boss.

So... Walter White? 😂

Lance_Vance89
8 hours ago, MojoGamer said:

For a change, i'll like one without a penis like a female protagonist

That would be fun, especially when you get knocked the **** out by a man that has 40% more upper-body strength and 33% more lower-body strength, while trying to steal his car. GTA is not Tomb Raider.

1 hour ago, TheSpectre said:

but I'd like to see Tommy or CJ again.

They are in a different in-game universe. I honestly don't understand how you don't know this?

TheSpectre
6 minutes ago, Lance_Vance89 said:

That would be fun, especially when you get knocked the **** out by a man that has 40% more upper-body strength and 33% more lower-body strength, while trying to steal his car. GTA is not Tomb Raider.

They are in a different in-game universe. I honestly don't understand how you don't know this?

Who said they were going to continue the HD universe? They could be starting another for all we know. 

MojoGamer
54 minutes ago, Lance_Vance89 said:

That why I want it.

GTA 5 was easy, Gta 4 and every other Gta was balanced.

I want something harder, where I have to learn new fighting moves like UFC to survive and GTA is about shooting even more.

Girls are just at good as men when shooting.

JupeShot92

I wouldn't mind seeing a female protagonist although I can't see Rockstar doing that unless they do the multiple characters thing again, which is fine by me. Rockstar aren't all that good at writing women though so that could be a problem. If they do have a female protag I wouldn't want her to be a cliché sexy but deadly femme fatale type, she's gotta be rough like a gangbanger with tattoos on her face or maybe a crazy white trash methhead like a female version of Trevor. The kind of women you see in prison documentaries. If you watch a bunch of those you'll see that women sell drugs, steal cars, gangbang and kill people just like men do. Even if you find it hard to believe that a woman could do all the crazy stuff that you do in a gta game, men can't do that stuff in real life either. If you can suspend your disbelief for one why not the other? 

Zello
4 hours ago, Len Lfc said:

So... Walter White? 😂

Say my name!

B_E_N_1992
11 minutes ago, Zello said:

Say my name!

The protagonist will be called

Winston Whitaker

Grotti Vigilante

Girls are just at good as men when shooting.

No they are not.

WASHINGTON, Sept. 10 (UPI) -- Research on a test unit of male and female U.S. Marines suggests women in combat get injured more often and shoot less accurately than men, a study released Thursday said.

A summary of the results of a nine-month pilot test involving 400 male and 100 female Marines who volunteered to join the Ground Combat Element Integrated Task Force unit suggested women in combat conditions get injured twice as often as men, shoot infantry weapons less accurately and have more difficulty removing injured soldiers from the battlefield.

The research was conducted at the Marines' Twentynine Palms, Calif., and Camp Lejeune, N.C., bases.

Edited by Grotti Vigilante

Eugene H. Krabs

One with a lot of money. Do you know Gay Tony? Runs Hercules and Maisonette 9. I'll tell you a secret, he pretends to have the dollars but he's broke as hell - the loser.