Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. Gameplay
      2. Missions
      3. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Gameplay
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    1. Crews & Posses

      1. Recruitment
    2. Events

    1. GTA Online

      1. Diamond Casino & Resort
      2. DLC
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Grand Theft Auto Series

    3. GTA 6

    4. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    5. GTA IV

      1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    6. GTA Chinatown Wars

    7. GTA Vice City Stories

    8. GTA Liberty City Stories

    9. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    12. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    13. Wiki

      1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption

    2. Rockstar Games

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

    2. Forum Support

    3. Site Suggestions

AmyStone

Defensive mode

Recommended Posts

Jason
10 hours ago, Leftover Pizza said:

 

Not sure it would mess up the playerbase much, but it would be far too much work to maintain servers for Rockstar. What we have now is the cheapest solution for them to host the game. Argent Dawn EU is populated by about 410K characters. I'm not expecting those numbers on RDO dedicated servers, but I think it could work. But, knowing Rockstar, it will never happen.

It'd mess the servers up and the experience up quite a bit tbh. RP-only servers would be pretty quiet as they aint massively popular, giving players who choose those servers matchmaking issues galore, especially long-term. Locking your self into a PvE only server would lock you out from open world PvP content, which would just cause a huge mess. If they do lobbies all they need is normal, PvE and free aim, and you should be able to hop in and out of any of them at your leisure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CosmicBuffalo

So if you come out of defensive mode to get autoaim and the attacker somehow to slips into defensive mode, then you can get obliterated if there is a group.  A defensive mode player does the same amount of damage as normal...if there is 5 in their posse, not good.  I had never attacked someone in defensive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Leftover Pizza
2 hours ago, Jason said:

It'd mess the servers up and the experience up quite a bit tbh. RP-only servers would be pretty quiet as they aint massively popular, giving players who choose those servers matchmaking issues galore, especially long-term. Locking your self into a PvE only server would lock you out from open world PvP content, which would just cause a huge mess. If they do lobbies all they need is normal, PvE and free aim, and you should be able to hop in and out of any of them at your leisure.

 

It's a proven to work concept on WoW servers for years. RP servers have acces to all content too. Nowadays, they have an option to turn on World PvP mode, which basically turns the whole realm into a pvp realm for you, but not for those who have it switched off. 

You will only see players who have PvP switched on. They call it War Mode. You can also still enter any battle ground instance if you do so wish. 

 

The RP servers in WoW started, because of griefing and interference of RP activities.

Truth be told, I've never spent a second RP'ing, but the fact that very few are out to troll or grief made the choice easy for me to join an RP server. Mind you, Argent Dawn is not only the most crowded RP server, but also the second most populated server in WoW. Several of the smaller servers have merged already, but Argent Dawn and Draenor never have, because they are filled to the rim with players. 

RP itself might not experience high popularity in RDO, but playing with decent and polite players does. 

 

I know that comparing RDO to WoW is like comparing apples and brussel sprouts, but there is enough to learn from the WoW concept. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Karen Daniels

The best solution would be to do what the first Redemption had: Friendly Lobbies. All player targeting is disabled, weapons do no damage, but you can still lock on to NPCs and wildlife.

 

It would make the world more enjoyable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
netnow66
7 hours ago, Karen Daniels said:

The best solution would be to do what the first Redemption had: Friendly Lobbies. All player targeting is disabled, weapons do no damage, but you can still lock on to NPCs and wildlife.

 

It would make the world more enjoyable.

I haven't played in those special hunting and fishing modes but isn't player targeting disabled in those? Seems like it would be simple enough for Rockstar to do--if they wanted to. Meanwhile, I will be playing free roam glitched solo/passive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Norman_Greige

Got tackled by a rank 125 while on defensive after keeping my distance watching them light a stick of dynamite and at least it was a fist fight. For some reason, I'm good at them. Killing a griefer with your fists is most satisfying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Leftover Pizza

It's easy to be an asshat if those you grief are never in the same session with you twice. Locking players to a specific PvP or PvE server gets them familiar with the other players much more. 

The random playerbase every session again messes up the playerbase a lot more, imo. When players return to the same playerbase every login again, they are more inclined to behave. 

For a multiplayer game, this game has a really poor community, mainly because it's mostly random players you encounter and never really buildup a community at all. 

Would player characters be locked in on a server, you could setup a community with players from the forums, for example, ride out together, do missions, RP, group up for some instanced PvE or PvP raids or boost a new comer. Wasn't the old west all about communities, either good or bad orientated? 

People without a lot of real life friends playing can find players and befriend them much easier too. Defensive Mode can be a thing of the past.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lonely-Martin
1 hour ago, Leftover Pizza said:

It's easy to be an asshat if those you grief are never in the same session with you twice. Locking players to a specific PvP or PvE server gets them familiar with the other players much more. 

The random playerbase every session again messes up the playerbase a lot more, imo. When players return to the same playerbase every login again, they are more inclined to behave. 

For a multiplayer game, this game has a really poor community, mainly because it's mostly random players you encounter and never really buildup a community at all. 

Would player characters be locked in on a server, you could setup a community with players from the forums, for example, ride out together, do missions, RP, group up for some instanced PvE or PvP raids or boost a new comer. Wasn't the old west all about communities, either good or bad orientated? 

People without a lot of real life friends playing can find players and befriend them much easier too. Defensive Mode can be a thing of the past.

 

Yeah, I tend to just avoid any blue/red dot out there I see so I don't attract unwanted attention and get involved with gameplay that is just a waste of my time and theirs.

 

That said, I'm bored of the dailies even now and haven't played this or GTA all week, lol. These games urgently need a real kick up the arse. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Leftover Pizza
1 minute ago, Lonely-Martin said:

Yeah, I tend to just avoid any blue/red dot out there I see so I don't attract unwanted attention and get involved with gameplay that is just a waste of my time and theirs.

 

That said, I'm bored of the dailies even now and haven't played this or GTA all week, lol. These games urgently need a real kick up the arse. :)

 

Frankly, I've never encountered many other players, unless going to Valentine or Blackwater. But that's more of a con than a pro, because the world looks empty and boring after a while. Of course, the lack of content doesn't make it much appealing to login and play. We still have a good 10 days of holidays left, before I can login properly again, but I'm not missing it and I wonder if I'd logon as soon as I have a chance or wait till the summer update drops. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lonely-Martin
4 hours ago, Leftover Pizza said:

 

Frankly, I've never encountered many other players, unless going to Valentine or Blackwater. But that's more of a con than a pro, because the world looks empty and boring after a while. Of course, the lack of content doesn't make it much appealing to login and play. We still have a good 10 days of holidays left, before I can login properly again, but I'm not missing it and I wonder if I'd logon as soon as I have a chance or wait till the summer update drops. 

Definitely much quieter and more when I need a town than anything really is when I see folk. But on the missions I do enjoy, I like meeting randoms too. (Wasn't too clear there earlier, but I did a sh*t load of heists in GTA and that was easily my favourite DLC).

 

But in general, until we know more, I'm very comfortable in game. But that 'no pressure' feel is awesome so I'm gonna enjoy it while it lasts, lol. Enjoy the holiday dude. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pocket Fox

The latest 'in' thing among griefers is trying to melee, knife or lasso tackle people in defensive mode.

They're all low level and poor... gee, I wonder why, when you spend 2 hours being a clown for 300xp,  $0 and 0 gold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.