1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

What kind of new IP would you like to see from Rockstar?

The Holy Diver

The Holy Diver

It’s definitely improbable that Rockstar will be developing a new IP anytime soon. But I like to imagime the possibilities. Personally, I would really like to see a WW2-centered sandbox game. I have no idea what the specifics of such a game would be, but I can imagine you would be playing as a partisan in Nazi-occupied territory, probably France. Like the forsaken IP “Agent”, subterfuge would be part of the gameplay. Customization options in other Rockstar titles like hair styling can have gameplay value, as you would have to alter your physical appearance to progress in certain assignments,

Otherwise, you can just cruise around the city and countryside, killing Nazis with all the munitions of the era, driving all of the cars, and piloting fighter planes and bombers. 

What are your ideas?

Edited by The Holy Diver
Jason

Something in a very different time setting would be amazing. That could be something from history or the future, I don't mind much but I would love to see Rockstar/RAGE visuals in a different setting.

Also while I don't think we'll ever see it, I would love to see Rockstar's take on the fantasy genre. Really think that if they put their mind to it they could whip up something very unique there, but I don't think they'll stray from games grounded in realism anytime soon.

If I had to pick I would probably say sci-fi though. I've wanted a sci-fi Rockstar open world for a long time, Cyberpunk 2077 looks amazing but Rockstar are the kings of open world cities, I'd love to see what they could do in that setting.

• Like 2
The Holy Diver
8 minutes ago, Jason said:

Something in a very different time setting would be amazing. That could be something from history or the future, I don't mind much but I would love to see Rockstar/RAGE visuals in a different setting.

Also while I don't think we'll ever see it, I would love to see Rockstar's take on the fantasy genre. Really think that if they put their mind to it they could whip up something very unique there, but I don't think they'll stray from games grounded in realism anytime soon.

If I had to pick I would probably say sci-fi though. I've wanted a sci-fi Rockstar open world for a long time, Cyberpunk 2077 looks amazing but Rockstar are the kings of open world cities, I'd love to see what they could do in that setting.

Fantasy? I think I might agree with you.

Sci-Fi and fantasy often intersect. Imagine the possibilities if Rockstar created a genuine constructed world with those those two particular settings weaved together. It would be amazing.

• Like 1
Jason

I straight up just want something like that from a purely visual aspect honestly, Rockstar level visuals in a sci-fi/fantasy setting would be oof. Fantasy wise you've got monsters and spell effects and with sci-fi the skies the limit with what they could do. The lighting in Los Santos still looks great today, imagine a fully lit up neon city from the distance. Ooooof.

• Like 2
TheJesus1996

Agree, as much as I respect CDPR in what they did with The Witcher & soon with Cyberpunk, I'll love to see how R* can play with those worlds...  

• Like 1
Asisvénia

If you look at the studio of creators of the first GTA which is named DMA Design and founders of Rockstar such as Sam and Dan Houser, Leslie Benzies and with many other key people they are from Britain so they have British culture. I know their headquarters are based in NYC but actually that doesn't make them an American company.

With all these, for a long time I was expecting from Rockstar, a Victorian Era set video game rather than Wild West theme. I don't know, are there really very few people just like me who adores Victorian Era scientists, gothic architectures, dark rainy weather, detective novels but there are seriously very few games which are set in Victorian Era. Also there are even far less Wild West based games than Victorian ones!

There could be setting such as: crime world with interesting thieves or even crime based altered story of advancement of natural history by Darwin and Huxley.

Other than that, there is no doubt that Rockstar's projects need a lot of years and millions of dollars with hundreds of employees, that's why it might be tough decision for them. But suprisingly, we have 3 three games from them which are based on Wild West theme (Red Dead series).

Also I was expecting that Agent game from them because that was a different one with espionage, stealth and 60s-70s setting. But it was cancelled.

Lastly, I totally disagree with the a Rockstar game with sci-fic/fantasy idea because they can't handle this one. For years, they've always tried to figure out how to make something more realistic, how to feel just like in the real life and pretty serious story-telling especially this became one of the essential element for them since GTA IV. I know they tried to soften up mechanics, didn't spend much time on physics in GTA V but they still got back to the realism and seriousness with RDR2. That's a correct way to me because I don't enjoy much about fantasy genre, there are few sci-fic ones that I like and waiting for.

• Like 3
Tao Cheng

When R* has a new engine, I want something similar to Table Tennis... how about some Drone Racing since YEEEHAWWWW REDEMPTION killed the other racing series out of existence.

• Like 1
Algonquin Assassin

I would like a horror game. It's always puzzled me why R* haven't tried their hand at it. Yes I know there was Undead Nightmare and the Manhunt games could classify as psychological horror, but I want them to go all the way.

A fast paced run and hide game like in the vein of Outlast would be epic IMO from R*..

• Like 1
Grotti Vigilante

With what Rockstar managed to do with the spaghetti western genre with Red Dead Redemption, I think it'd be great if Rockstar did the same thing with the Pirate genre. Can't think of many games focused on being a pirate aside. Assassin's Creed IV is the only one that I can think of. Forget an FPS which has been done several times, forget zombies which have been done a lot too. Fantasy is out of the question since Dan Houser doesn't really like it (even though he referred to a very specific sub-genre).

So aside from pirates, the only other one I can think of is espionage. Agent was likely cancelled, but I'd love to see Rockstar do a game about espionage with Max Payne 3 and Hitman style sort of gameplay. Sort of like James Bond. Then again that may be hard to be believable since Bond isn't technically realistic. It seems like the best choice for a new title would be pirates then unless Rockstar want to get a bit less realistic with their stories. I'd be fine with that if it was with a new IP even.

• Like 1
Beato_dim
1 hour ago, Grotti Vigilante said:

Then again that may be hard to be believable since Bond isn't technically realistic.

*cough*sanandreas*cough*gtav*cough*

Grotti Vigilante
10 minutes ago, Beato_dim said:

*cough*sanandreas*cough*gtav*cough*

What point are you trying to make? That Rockstar went less or just as believable with them as they would do with Bond? If you were then that kind of makes me feel a bit better...

Tupiz

Still waiting for Agent. Funnily still sitting there at Rockstar's website as if it's actually going to release for PS3.

Typhus
On 7/2/2019 at 6:52 PM, Grotti Vigilante said:

With what Rockstar managed to do with the spaghetti western genre with Red Dead Redemption, I think it'd be great if Rockstar did the same thing with the Pirate genre. Can't think of many games focused on being a pirate aside. Assassin's Creed IV is the only one that I can think of.

Funny thing is, I've recently been reading a little bit about pirates and thinking how amazing a game about that whole period would be. In truth, the fantastical elements of Assassin's Creed completely put me off ever buying those games, because they pollute interesting history with a lot of crap about secret societies and magic apples or whatever.

But when you look at the age of piracy, there are so many intriguing things about the time which could be explored in a game...

- The ships were proto-democracies. Where Captains had to be voted in and adhere to a code of conduct.

- Pirates established their own psuedo-states. Loose, anarchic societies full of brothels and taverns. One such place, Port Royal in Jamaica, literally sank into the sea, and its ruined streets are still underwater, like Atlantis or something!

- Pirates could be cruel or kind. Despite his reputation, Blackbeard apparently disliked killing and on at least one occasion freed a ship of slaves and some even joined his crew. On the flip side, if you got caught by a man like Ned Low, you could be forced to eat your own lips.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea! There is just so much history there which could be used to create an interesting game. If anyone would like to learn more, and has Amazon Kindle, here's a completely free book you can read about the time period: https://www.amazon.co.uk/General-History-Pyrates-settlement-Providence-ebook/dp/B00AQMNDIS/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2DJMKU51N045P

• Like 3
  • 1 year later...
EliteGamer_6

A mafia/mobster game set in the 1920/30s in Chicago. I know this sounds similar to Mafia 1, but R* can absolutely nail it and online would be amazing as well, which they seem to care a lot about. 

DownInThePMs

Given Rockstar's penchant for satire I would probably want to see a strategy slash tactical shooter game where you get to play as a corrupt CIA agent, arms dealer or mercenary in some third world city where you fund and support morally grey factions and commit war crimes.

Edited by DownInThePMs