• Terrible cheats
    • Terrible controls
    • Lack of customization
    • City was way too dark, bland and boring
    • I don't hate GTA 4

StrafeFTW

Why do you hate the game?

El Penguin Bobo

I don't hate GTA IV. It's a great game. Yes, it has some flaws, like the gameplay being undeniably lacking compared to other GTA games, but it's still a great game with probably the best plot in the series.

santosvagos

I have played all of GTA games for pc and i can say that IV is the best of them all . 

TheSantader25
Posted (edited)

I love the game. It has a different style and you can appreciate it but if there was one thing I actually hated about the game that could be some of its fans. Some act like extreme cultists and I want to break their bones sometimes. 

Edited by TheSantader25

El Penguin Bobo
8 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

Some act like cultists and I want to break their bones sometimes.

I feel you man. I've stated before, most of the GTA fanbase treat their favorite GTA game as if it was an ancient artifact. No offense to any IV fans though, because sometimes I'm like that too...

Duhillestpunk

I hate how there’s not many clothes to choose from and how some clothes look absolutely ugly on Niko. One example are the stonewashed jeans from MODO. They look so baggy.

LeslieFromTheShoIntimacy

This poll is flawed:  all the options available and the only one people have chosen is “I don’t hate GTA IV” .. that’s because most people will find something to like about the game.  The better question would have been “what you hate about GTA IV”, but I’m sure there’s a million of those threads too.  

I doubt you’re going to get a coherent, in-depth explanation of why someone “hates GTA IV”. Someone might hate certain things about it, but if they just straight up claim to hate the game in it’s entirety, they probably don’t even have enough knowledge about the game to speak on it proper.

mde2

Hate's a strong word. Even the most notorious people on this forum that are known for sh*tting on IV even find positive aspects and in that regard alone I think you're going to be hard pressed to find someone that vehemently hates GTA IV. Guy above me absolutely nailed it on the head. The reasons for hating IV you listed in the poll are common criticisms for the game and from what I've seen, even the most die-hard IV fans agree that repetitive missions or lack of customization are huge drawbacks. I very much doubt someone could hate a single game on any of those aspects alone but even collectively it's still hard to say anyone hates the game for them.

ThatKyloRenGuy

I don't. The only GTA "title" that I hate would have to be Online.

Eugene H. Krabs

If you asked this question back in 2011 or something, you'd get flooded with "I hate the game because it doesn't have any airplanes!!!!" from a lot of people.....

ThatKyloRenGuy
34 minutes ago, Eugene H. Krabs said:

If you asked this question back in 2011 or something, you'd get flooded with "I hate the game because it doesn't have any airplanes!!!!" from a lot of people.....

How times have changed..

Zello

I love IV my fav GTA of all time. But I hate the game because we don't have any purchasable safehouses.

iiCriminnaaL 49
9 hours ago, Eugene H. Krabs said:

But it's all "grey and stuff", man.

billiejoearmstrong8

The poll is hilarious

Eugene H. Krabs
10 hours ago, iiCriminnaaL 49 said:

It doesn't have jetpacks either so it sucks harder!!!!!

The Time Ranger

Not enough Brucie 0/10

billiejoearmstrong8
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Eugene H. Krabs said:

It doesn't have jetpacks either so it sucks harder!!!!!

It's funny because if you play TBOGT you can use the glitch where you tap the "pull up/slow down" buttons to fly around for as long as you want with a parachute. Seems a lot like a jet pack to me 😛 

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8

ddarko12
Posted (edited)

Because I can't drive for sh*t so that's the games fault. Because it's too grey and gloomy even though its based on NYC in the autumn which isn't vibrant to begin with. Because the stories too dark, I want sunny over-the-top sh*t. Because it has no planes, even though there's nothing I'd be able to do with them. Because there's not much to do, even though that the excuse of someone with no imagination. Because the missions are literally go there kill X/get this, come back, even though that's literally every GTA.

Spoiler

It's amusing to see all of the hate for this game has dissipated considering how GTA V and Online went. It's genuinely hilarious to see people eat their words. All of that stupid bitching in 2012, it's gone.

Edited by ddarko12

Eugene H. Krabs
3 hours ago, ddarko12 said:

Because it has no planes, even though there's nothing I'd be able to do with them.

Not to mention there's literally no place to park a plane in a concrete jungle like Liberty City

KiwiAlpha

I don't hate it. I never understood the people who "hate" a video game, especially all the people "hating" this game before it became ten years old. Really, the biggest issue for me is going back to it after playing Gay Tony. Gay Tony improved so much on what made GTA 4 an awesome game.

If I had any complaints over GTA 4, I would argue Niko as a character is excellently designed, heartwarming even, but not suitable for a game like GTA. I don't look too much into nonsense such as "ludonarrative dissonance" but his backstory is just too dark for a GTA game. A child soldier seeing decapitated children, no thank you. This could have easily been fixed by changing some details and removing some lines of dialogue. This would have also made it easier for Niko cheer up and get more positive, after all he has people like Brucie to look up to. The gameplay could have gotten more exotic and small details such as the weather could have easily been fixed.

Also, I found the humor in GTA 4 to be a bit too dry for my taste. More comedy would have definitely helped. Take the opening cutscene, for example, instead of having Roman pick Niko up in his cab, have him turn up in an Infernus or a Comet. Niko is initially impressed and after he drives to the "mansion", Roman reveals he got in trouble with the loan sharks trying to pay for the car.  Have it spawn next to the cabs in his depot and you have great comedy to balance out the opening act in Broker.

Night walker

The only thing i dislike about this game is kill 200 pigeons.

santosvagos
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Night walker said:

The only thing i dislike about this game is kill 200 pigeons.

Totally agree . I expect some rewards after that a pair of gloves or a new suit would be great .

Edited by santosvagos

Eternal Moonshine

I don't hate GTA IV. With that said i'll admit that i was underwhelmed after playing through it for the first time. My favorite area was Alderney because it made me feel like there was more to this game than just Liberty City. After putting hundreds hours into San Andrea I kinda hated being constrained to one city. I missed all the RPG elements and activities too. I can't deny that i had a good time playing IV though. It's still one of the best games ever made

Vega LVI
Posted (edited)
On 6/20/2019 at 8:16 AM, Eternal Moonshine said:

I don't hate GTA IV. With that said i'll admit that i was underwhelmed after playing through it for the first time. My favorite area was Alderney because it made me feel like there was more to this game than just Liberty City. After putting hundreds hours into San Andrea I kinda hated being constrained to one city. I missed all the RPG elements and activities too. I can't deny that i had a good time playing IV though. It's still one of the best games ever made

I would argue that each of the boroughs have enough of their own personality and unique flair to prevent LC from ever feeling like just “one big city.”

Edited by Vega LVI

Tacymist

Well I didn't like it as much as SA but I still had a lot of fun playing it, so I don't hate IV. And Niko is still my favorite protagonist in the whole series. I also felt they did a great job designing LC, I spent many hours in the back of a cab cruising around the city. So while it ain't my favorite game, I still have plenty of good memories playing it.

SonOfLiberty

Even the things I thought could've been done better I wouldn't say I "hate". Mostly disappointing.

KGBeast
Posted (edited)

I don't. I love pretty much every aspect of it. 

On 6/19/2019 at 3:38 AM, iiCriminnaaL 49 said:

The funny thing about this criticism is that it isn't remotely true. Just proves the people who say it don't know the game at all. Liberty City in IV is much more defined by the contrast of tan and brown buildings against the blue sky. That in addition to the 'painterly' distance blur, it looks a lot like old postcard art of NYC. It's colorful and beautiful. Even more so in TBOGT which took away the blur effect and added a high constrast color filter. 

Edited by KGBeast

SonOfLiberty
6 hours ago, KGBeast said:

-The funny thing about this criticism is that it isn't remotely true. Just proves the people who say it don't know the game at all. Liberty City in IV is much more defined by the contrast of tan and brown buildings against the blue sky. That in addition to the 'painterly' distance blur, it looks a lot like old postcard art of NYC. It's colorful and beautiful. Even more so in TBOGT which took away the blur effect and added a high constrast color filter. 

I don't even mind the shades of grey and brown as it makes the city look lived in. NYC is an old city so it's not going to look clean and pristine like the buildings were erected yesterday. 

However I think the city's true beauty is criminally underrated by those who see it as nothing more than a grey concrete jungle where everywhere looks the "same". Completely undermines R*'s hard work setting out creating the city they envisioned since 2001.

JC_HUMBLE

Pay N Spray, could they at least let us chose our color of choice...

Still my second favourite GTA.

Garpown

I like it but it's undeniable it has issues. Coming after the juggernaut of San Andreas, this game felt like it was missing content.

- Lack hideouts/properties

- Lack of character customization

- Lack of vehicles customization

- A lot of underwhelming missions

- No planes, no underwater