2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

Which main antagonist would work as a protagonist the best?

iiCriminnaaL

Which main antagonist would work as a protagonist the best?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Which main antagonist would work as a protagonist the best?

• Catalina (GTA III)
    • Sonny Forelli (GTA Vice City)
    • Frank Tenpenny (GTA San Andreas)
    • Vinnie (GTA Advance)
    • Massimo Torini (GTA Liberty City Stories)
    • Jerry Martinez (GTA Vice City Stories)
    • Dimitri Rascalov (GTA IV)
    • William "Billy" Grey (GTA IV: The Lost and Damned)
    • Wu "Kenny" Lee (GTA Chinatown Wars)
    • Ray Bulgarin (GTA IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony)
    • Devin Weston (GTA V)
    • Steve Haines (GTA V)
    • The Mendez Brothers (GTA Vice City Stories)

iiCriminnaaL

Wondering which protagonist would make a good antagonist is obviously a common discussion, but what about the other way around? Out of the series' main antagonists, who do you think could work as a protagonist the best?

I personally think that The Lost and Damned's main antagonist, Billy Grey, fits in the best. Not only he was in the same side as the protagonist, but unlike most of the other main antagonists, his lifestyle forces him not to let his goons do all the work, but like a protagonist does, he risks his own life by involving in several shootouts.

TheSantader25

The only one capable enough for that matter is Catalina IMO. The GTA III version more precisely. She's as ruthless as the protagonists. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Billy Grey, I enjoyed watching him cause mayhem in TLAD. I kinda wished Trevor was more like him in some ways.

Edit: Voted for Catalina too now that it's a multi-choice poll.

Edited by perennial

Grotti Vigilante

Not sure. For me it’s initially a toss up between Billy Grey and Bulgarin. It would be nice to see him building up his criminal empire like Tommy Vercetti, but then it may retcon a few things from GTA IV. Billy Grey might be a good one but then I’m still not sure. Tenpenny, despite being my favourite antagonist, would be the worst choice. I’m not even going into the corrupt cop protagonist discussion here. Devin Weston is barely an antagonist, let alone the main one, and with what little character there is it is not one to fit being a GTA protagonist. Haines, who I consider the true main antagonist of GTA V, would not be good for the same reasons as Tenpenny.

Edited by Grotti Vigilante
  • Like 1

universetwisters

I voted for Dmitri just because he was good as an antagonist (even if his intentions were incredibly vague) and I don't see any reason why he wouldn't work as a protagonist. 

• Like 4

Voted for Ray Bulgarin, mostly because it would be epic to see his past, imagine a GTA where he emigrates from Russia and starts his wrongdoings in the Balkans.

• Like 3

DhF4CUK7S5mrQmZkTLK8DA.png

TheSantader25

It's weird seeing people choose guys like Bulgarin or Dimitri tbh. Other than a certain mindset the GTA protagonist should have the ability to kill many people by himself IMO. Dimitri and Bulgarin seemed more like people who handed their business to their employees other than getting their hands dirty themselves. 

@iiCriminnaaL 49

I still feel like Steve Haines is V's main antagonist. Poor choice by R* to keep Devin as the last dude to kill while Haines was the one that was truly f*cking the trio for pretty much the whole story. 

Edited by TheSantader25

billiejoearmstrong8

Catalina would be the best, definitely has the makings of a GTA protagonist

Billy Grey or Dimitri would be very different but I love the idea of it, would be very interesting just because they're such interesting characters

Devin Weston would be so annoying to play as, jesus

Catalina and Billy grey both are lead from the front types charismatic and willing to make alliances but also will screw you over

iiCriminnaaL
11 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

I still feel like Steve Haines is V's main antagonist. Poor choice by R* to keep Devin as the last dude to kill while Haines was the one that was truly f*cking the trio for pretty much the whole story. 

Same for me. The reason why I listed Devin instead is because he's the antagonist who the entire trio take out together, and unlike Steve, he was the last man to go. However, I can recall Steve being called "one of the two main antagonists" in GTA Wiki, but it was changed to "the secondary antagonist" sometime later. The former felt more accurate.

Steve has been added anyway.

Edit: multiple options added. Realized it could be better to have the ability to vote for multiple options since I actually found both Catalina and Billy to be on par when it comes to who could work as a protagonist.

Edited by iiCriminnaaL 49
  • Like 1

The Coconut Kid

I agree with everyone who mentioned Catalina, Billy Grey and Dimitri.

Purely to mix things up a bit I also voted for Massimo Torini.

The opinion of him seems to be that he's the worst antagonist in the entire GTA series, but given what (little) we know of him, I think he would actually work as a better protagonist than Toni.

Imagine playing as the Sicilian Mafia's main man sent to Liberty City to set up the drug trade with the Forellis. You get to work alongside early incarnations of the Leones, the Colombian Cartel, Diablos and Triads. You recruit other gangs such as the Yardies and Hoods. Characters like Donald Love and Ray Machowski would be hungry for their slice of the profits. Eventually a big event destroys the cooperation between the gangs and sets the scene for GTAIII years later. Even some events before or after Vice City could be covered.

Rotorhead359

Probably doesn't qualify as main antagonist, but I could see Rocco Pelosi as protagonist, working for the mob and running nightclubs

Tao Cheng, he didn't do sh*t with that mentally unstable crybaby!

For real though, Ray Bulgarin. I wouldn't be surprised if Niko flipped the truth about his sinking boat.

Bratva Assassin

I voted for both Dimitri Rascalov, Ray Bulgarin, and Billy Grey personally. All three were pretty good antagonists. Miles better than GTA V’s antagonists. I honestly think it would make for a pretty good movie or something that takes place prior to the events of GTA IV/EFLC (around 2006-2007) to make Dimitri the protagonist of it. It can also feature other mobsters like Jimmy Pegorino, Mikhail Faustin, Vlad Glebov, Phil Bell, Ray Boccino, Rocco Pelosi, Uncle Vince, etc. Patrick McReary, Roman Bellic, and Little Jacob could also possibly be minor characters or something. 

• Like 3

While not a main antagonist listed above, I feel like Vincenzo from LCS could actually work really well as a protagonist. Imagine him keeping up a facade for Salvatore while also doing dealings with other gangs on the side because he wants to be bigger than he is? Vincenzo has a lot of potential that was squandered, like with Massimo, so it would be interesting to see him from a protagonist side too.

tranceking26

Catalina, she's pretty ruthless. I really hope R* uses a female protagonist like her in the future. 

I voted for Sonny Forelli simply because there is a movie about him in 3D GTA. He led Forelli family to the most powerful crime family in Liberty City from 1960s to mid-1980s.

• Like 2

Don't really know, but I wouldn't want a choleric piece of sh*t like Catalina for a protagonist. All she does is just bully everyone and berate her for her own problems. She's even worse than Trevor in my opinion because unlike her, Trevor has some redeeming qualities and you saw times where he showed some heart and empathy. 

• Like 1

DhF4CUK7S5mrQmZkTLK8DA.png

• 2 weeks later...
iiCriminnaaL

The Mendez brothers have been added to the poll. They did everything that makes them be "main" antagonists, the only difference between them and Jerry in this regard is that he was introduced since the very beginning of the game, while they were introduced a little further. They (more specifically Diego, who got just as powerful death as Armando in the pre-last mission) even die in the same scene as Martinez.

• Like 1

Voted for Catalina. Now that I think of it, a Bonnie and Clyde-esque GTA game featuring both her and Claude as co-protagonists set sometime soon after the events of SA sounds fantastic. Perhaps the pair being criminal lovers on a cross-country heist spree (I’m thinking Natural Born Killers coupled with the multi-part heist concept featured in VC and V) could be the game’s hook.

Billy Grey is a close second, but I feel a game centered around him would play too similar to TLAD, if only because of the biker aspect.

Edited by Vega LVI

iiCriminnaaL
55 minutes ago, Vega LVI said:

Billy Grey is a close second, but I feel a game centered around him would play too similar to TLAD, if only because of the biker aspect.

And that's why he seems an appropriate choice to me. It's quite believable for him to take the role of the protagonist (even though he's more treacherous than the most of the protagonists).

31 minutes ago, iiCriminnaaL 49 said:

And that's why he seems an appropriate choice to me. It's quite believable for him to take the role of the protagonist (even though he's more treacherous than the most of the protagonists).

He would certainly be believable as a protagonist, but idk how likable he would be. Given Johnny and his brother Michael’s account of Billy’s character prior to the events of TLAD, it seems to me that Billy was always a self-centered asshole. I feel almost as if Billy, if made the protagonist of his own respective game, would be a toned down version of Trevor, just riding a Revenant instead of driving a Bodhi.

Edited by Vega LVI
  • Like 3

iiCriminnaaL
6 minutes ago, Vega LVI said:

I feel almost as if Billy, if made the protagonist of his own respective game, would be a toned down version of Trevor, just riding a Revenant instead of driving a Bodhi.

Quite yeah, actually.

Tenpenny and Billy Grey.

• Like 1

Lemoyne outlaw

micah bell nuff said. lol while i was joking about him being a gta protagonist. he would make a great red dead protag. but for this poll i voted for steve haines and billy grey and the mendez brothers.

steve would be cool. because he is not afraid of a fight. and it would cool to have an fib protagonist.

billy grey is another tough badass antag.

the mendez brothers. first off their mansion would be an awesome safehouse. and also it would make a cool multiple protagonist story.

so many antagonists are cowards. running away. at first i thought maybe catalina but then i remembered how annoying she was in gta sa.

• Like 1

Algonquin Assassin

I have to agree above with Dimitri. He's a great manipulator, but he's more of a pulling the strings type of guy that gets others to do his dirty work. This is why he doesn't physical do anything to Niko after his betrayal. It's all mind games.

Of all the antagonists the only one I could possibly see being a protagonist is Billy due to the fact early on in TLAD he actively helps out the rest of The Lost in missions so he can pretty much what other protagonists normally do. Sonny, Dimitri, Bulgarin etc. No way.

• Like 3

OG Freddy LOC

The MENDEZ Brothers runnin' the CARTEL is the best choice , 

killin' VANCE gang is a pretty easy mission for the Cartel.

CATALINA another fabulous choice either way she leads the sloppy poll after Billy.

Catalina, but I can't see her taking anyone's orders; though that could definitely add a new element to game play! She's far more unstable than even Trevor, so it would certainly be an interesting all around experience with her as the protagonist. Of course, she's dead, so the game would have to take place within a very different era - maybe during the late 80s before she met Claude and Carl.

Omg though, f*ck playing as Devin Weston! Next to Francis McReary, he's probably the character I dislike the most. Sure, he'd have access to some great cars and assets, but I wouldn't want to be successful in my endeavours as playing as him. I'd probably try and find ways for NPCs to eliminate him! 😜

• Like 4