1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Pro_Donn

How do you stop painting the body with paint it black?

Pro_Donn

It always paints the opponents body 1st making headshots almost impossible.  What am I doing wrong?

Stupidis

From what I've heard. Autoaim - goes for body - flick up so it goes for hs - activate dead eye - shoot.

Pro_Donn
4 minutes ago, Stupidis said:

From what I've heard. Autoaim - goes for body - flick up so it goes for hs - activate dead eye - shoot.

I watched a smokesnugs video 😑 if you watch him play, he activates dead THEN aim up for the headshot.  As soon as I activate dead eye it paints the body.

Ekomaira

No need to be dicks about it. Same thing happens to me. As soon as I enter dead-eye it paints the body in an instant. You have time to do anything else, unless we're both missing something 

CMCSAVAGE

You only need a quick tap of PIB, basically you need to shoot at the same time then deactivate it. I don't use anymore, but I've seen people say that the quick flip up was nerfed, you now have to move the joystick more slowly now.

AmyStone
10 minutes ago, CMCSAVAGE said:

but I've seen people say that the quick flip up was nerfed, you now have to move the joystick more slowly now.

I heard the same thing but haven't noticed a difference. A quick flick is all I've ever used.

Dr.Rosenthal

What you’re doing wrong is you’re taking too long to pull off the headshot. Simply.

You have to flick up and shoot before it has time to paint the first X. And that’s precisely what makes it so quick.

Edit: The HS mechanic has been nerfed, yes, but all that means is that before you could be more imprecise with the flick-up movement and now you have to be careful and just nudge it a bit upwards, otherwise you’ll get a hatshot or a shot above the head.

Edited by Dr.Rosenthal

AmyStone
41 minutes ago, Dr.Rosenthal said:

What you’re doing wrong is you’re taking too long to pull off the headshot. Simply.

You have to flick up and shoot before it has time to paint the first X. And that’s precisely what makes it so quick.

Edit: The HS mechanic has been nerfed, yes, but all that means is that before you could be more imprecise with the flick-up movement and now you have to be careful and just nudge it a bit upwards, otherwise you’ll get a hatshot or a shot above the head.

So are you saying that it's 4 steps - auto aim, deadeye, flick up, fire?

Dr.Rosenthal

@AmyStone correct!

Edit: I guess you could flick up first and then activate dead eye but to me that makes it more difficult since I have to press down R3 while keeping the stick aiming for the head which is really difficult to pull off without f*cking up the aiming.

The order you’ve described works best for me but keep in mind: activate dead eye - flick up - shoot are all done in almost the same instant. Ideally anyway!

Edited by Dr.Rosenthal

AmyStone
1 hour ago, Dr.Rosenthal said:

@AmyStone correct!

Edit: I guess you could flick up first and then activate dead eye but to me that makes it more difficult since I have to press down R3 while keeping the stick aiming for the head which is really difficult to pull off without f*cking up the aiming.

The order you’ve described works best for me but keep in mind: activate dead eye - flick up - shoot are all done in almost the same instant. Ideally anyway!

Ok thanks that's a great help. I'll have to practice that in missions and gang hideouts.

Smokewood

At what level of PIB do you get to manually mark, like in story mode.

Smokewood
34 minutes ago, Dr.Rosenthal said:

@Smokewood You don't.

That sux... might rethink my loadout.

The auto-mark is really sloppy.

Marcinguy

It works better for me when I aim, flick up (or just a nudge up after the update), and then click in PIB. People who do it the other way are just real quick and get the aim up before it paints, but I can't seem to do it well, so i use the reverse method and have been doing fine. Although as mentioned above, If you're not good and clicking in the R3 without moving it too much, it'll screw up your aim. When this happens to me I just try to adjust as best I can whilst freeaiming and still get shots off, but it does take a split second longer to fire. Hope this helps though😃.

AmyStone

I have one other question about Paint it Black. If it's all about getting head shots then who bother activating dead eye at all. A head shot is a kill with or without it. What are the other advantages to using it?

TyrionV

I’ve never really understood PiB.

Only time I use it effectively is in the mission shooting the dudes from the rooftop in Destroyed by Grief. 

Ill try try some of the things you guys have mentioned but I find it just as easy to auto aim and shoot. 

Cratoz
Just now, AmyStone said:

I have one other question about Paint it Black. If it's all about getting head shots then who bother activating dead eye at all. A head shot is a kill with or without it. What are the other advantages to using it?

The big advantage is completely eliminating bloom, which makes getting headshots easier and faster if you master the technique. Also very overpowered if you use it with a Double Barrel shotgun. PiB makes the DB into a laser, just go for the chest.

It's also very good for quickly killing birds (flying or sitting, doesn't matter) as you will have pinpoint accuracy.

IamCourtney
4 hours ago, AmyStone said:

It turns dynamite arrows into guided missiles.

Dr.Rosenthal
6 hours ago, AmyStone said:

3 hours ago, Cratoz said:

The big advantage is completely eliminating bloom, which makes getting headshots easier and faster if you master the technique. Also very overpowered if you use it with a Double Barrel shotgun. PiB makes the DB into a laser, just go for the chest.

It's also very good for quickly killing birds (flying or sitting, doesn't matter) as you will have pinpoint accuracy.

^ This.

Commander S
On 6/12/2019 at 10:24 AM, Pro_Donn said:

It always paints the opponents body 1st making headshots almost impossible.  What am I doing wrong?

What I've found works is to aim wide of your target, or above, and then 'swipe' across/down over their head to paint a guaranteed headshot.

In other words, I've got to ignore over half a decade of GTAO-style auto-aim habits: auto-aiming at an enemy, then flicking up to target their head, will almost always end up painting their body first instead. With PiB, you have to do anything but that, if you want to paint their noggin.

Dr.Rosenthal

@Commander S Sounds like you've got a good strategy that works for you, but I really think you're missing out on what's making it truly awesome.

I don't even paint with it, ideally. No swiping across. I'll try and make a video of it and upload it, but I'm sure I've seen similar videos on here before.

Commander S
3 hours ago, Dr.Rosenthal said:

@Commander S Sounds like you've got a good strategy that works for you, but I really think you're missing out on what's making it truly awesome.

I don't even paint with it, ideally. No swiping across. I'll try and make a video of it and upload it, but I'm sure I've seen similar videos on here before.

Well, "paint" is less accurate for what I do - "noggin-bounce", more like. Feels like I'm tapping them on the head - "and you're dead, you're dead, you're dead..." :evilgrin:

Also, full disclosure: strictly PvE player here, so I'm not too bothered about stuff that'll make me as efficient as possible against other people. So yeah, I treat it more as something cool and fun for kicking off a shootout in style (and then I tend to ignore Dead Eye altogether, tbh), because it's not as much as a necessity for that kind of thing.

Dr.Rosenthal

@Commander S Understood ☺️

I'll try and get a video of how I do it and post it here. But yeah, whatever works and if it's good enough for PvE and that's your thing then that's all good!

AmyStone
15 minutes ago, Dr.Rosenthal said:

@Commander S Understood ☺️

I'll try and get a video of how I do it and post it here. But yeah, whatever works and if it's good enough for PvE and that's your thing then that's all good!

I'd love it if you could do that. I've been practising and still end up painting the body most of the time. I just can't do it fast enough.

Dr.Rosenthal

@AmyStone I'll try and get it done tomorrow! ☺️