3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

allgoodinthehood

Did RDR Online *FAIL* because of the lack of "Invite Only Mode?"

allgoodinthehood

It's a subject that has been on my mind since the release of the RDR Online beta. Was the success of GTA Online partially due to the fact that you could separate yourself and the people you select from the public lobby and have your own sessions, versus the "Posse up" option given in RDR Online?

This is an Open Topic. All opinions welcome but try to keep it on topic..

Danish Crusader
Posted (edited)

I don't believe it has "failed".

Defensive mode needs some tweaks to make high damage weapons not able to 1 shot you and it should have been added sooner. But other than that, I feel Red Dead Online is working quite nicely.

People always like to exaggerate when telling stories about something bad that happened to them. *Person gets killed once before Defensive Mode activates* "I ALWAYS GET KILLED BEFORE DEFENSIVE ACTIVATES!" or *Gets attacked by a griefer once a week a single time* "I HAVE TO DEAL WITH THEM EVERY TIME I LOG IN. AND THEY WON'T LEAVE ME ALONE!". You get the idea =P

And you can't compared GTA Online with Red Dead Online, the 2 games are very different. At least until they add alicorns that fart rainbows for speed boosts and shoot deathbeams that 1 hit kills everything it hits from its' horn.

Seriously though, the 2 games are different, GTA Online is very unrealistic in terms of everything. The amount of weapons you carry, your vehicles, the amount of damage you can take, no stats to care for, and you don't need to feed your car either.

As time passes I am sure Rockstar will continue to tweak defensive mode to make it less and less tempting to attack one in it.

Yes, sometimes you will be attacked, but the game was built around that happening, but they don't want to make the world into a Warzone, which is what it was before Defensive Mode was a thing, and with that mode, and the continued tweaks around it, Free Roam as a PvE player will only get better.

If GTA Online had a simular system, I am sure it wouldn't be the giant Deathmatch that it is.

Red Dead Online, especially Free Roam, is much slower paced, it is made for you to take your time doing anything. You also have to take a lot more care of your character AND your horse. I don't know about the rest of you, but I treat my horse better than I treat myself ingame =P

So Online didn't "fail" in my opinion, peoples expectations of what the Online part would be failed them.

Edited by Danish Crusader

Jason

No.

It also hasn't failed yet, it just left beta and still has an active playerbase playing daily and many who are waiting to jump back in when the summer update drops.

The reason RDO has stumbled since launch is because the game doesn't have enough content.

No other reason.

Ghoffman9

That and the fact that you cannot do land of opportunity missions by yourself, you are forced into having randoms accompanying you, combined with using the mission structure of Gta Online's heists. I did not mind playing with randoms for contact missions cause if they die I can press on without them. I completed many missions over the years by myself cause all the randoms were dead, you don't get that here. If teammates die or fail to do a context sensitive objective, the mission fails for everyone. This was fine for heists cause the bigger payouts made doing heists more tolerable, but it should not be for every day missions. Its aggravating.

I think they made this change cause players started picking up a zero tolerance policy for inexperienced players in Gta Online. If you joined a heist and were low rank, you often times were booted, cause the others did not want to spend several hours failing over and over because a single player kept f*cking up. The fact you could fail despite doing nothing wrong is what started this but instead of addressing the issue, they instead are trying to shackle you against your will.

Its why I done hardly any land of opportunity missions and stuck with stranger missions in free roam. They pay the same, I can do them alone, and I have complete control on how the mission is carried out.

roggek
Posted (edited)

RDR online didn't fail, the weekend warriors which believe they could shoot everything and everybody failed big times...

The genuine playerbase which do their things, leave you alone with your doings, and sometimes say hello to you, is what R* is aiming for... 

Edited by roggek

ghostsoap01

It hasn't failed at all, its in quite a decent spot right now I'd say. Of course, I would have loved an invite only mode, but I don't think the lack of one has really caused too much of a loss in customers to a point of making the game a failure.

Rokushakubo

Nope hasn't failed. After reading the interview by gameinformer I see why they're not doing it and am in full support of it. They did say it will be a plan B if they can't achieve the vision they laid out but I think they will and it will be years until that decision has to be made. Invite only people are going to have to let that dream die for now; we're all in this together. 

Van_Hellsing
Posted (edited)

The game becomes unplayable on drip feed Tuesdays. I think the servers can not keep up with the amount of traffic. I guess you can stay online better with a invite only session. 

Rockstar nerfed payouts of hunting and initially lowered the animal spawn rate. As the game lost a significant amount of players, Rockstar gave the online access without psn + and the current showering of gold. Rockstar did turn up the animal spawn rate and made fishing easier. Rockstar should not have nerfed the payouts in the first place. 

What Rockstar is slow to grasp is that player engagement increases the chance of reoccurring spending or mtx. You are more likely to spend money on a game that you enjoy than a game that disconnects every minute. 

The game still has a massive potential. So I don't give up on it just yet. 

Edited by Van_Hellsing

gtmike
Posted (edited)

Naw, invite only doesn't make sense in this game like it does in GTA. I've said before if you want a lobby by yourself go play single player. There's a lot more to do...

That being said, they could have integrated crews/friends in a much better way. Like why the f*ck can't I start a race or mission and invite friends/crew members? Makes no sense, and has resulted in pretty much everyone I game with returning to GTA.

They need to fix the connectivity issues as well, that sh*t is embarrassing for a company like Rockstar. 

Edited by gtmike

Lonely-Martin
Posted (edited)

It's no failure, initial sales alone saw to that I imagine, lol.

But I do feel it's not reaching its potential because of a lack of lobby choice, the lack of ability to host jobs in a similar way to GTA:O. Among a few niggles that probably wouldn't be an issue if options were available, namely those childish cards, lesser content, and bugs.

At least those are what's hampering my fun and see's me play far less than I anticipated anyway.

Edited by Lonely-Martin
Wording.

Ghoffman9
2 hours ago, roggek said:

RDR online didn't fail, the weekend warriors which believe they could shoot everything and everybody failed big times...

The genuine playerbase which do their things, leave you alone with your doings, and sometimes say hello to you, is what R* is aiming for... 

Many players are assholes by nature in online games and nothing Rockstar does will get those players to behave the way they want them to. Its a delusional vision being pursued despite the futility of it. This goes ten fold for games where the game is built up at its foundation that rewards sh*tty behavior like Rockstar's games are infamous for. Its because of this is why their games result in terrible communities.

1 hour ago, gtmike said:

Naw, invite only doesn't make sense in this game like it does in GTA. I've said before if you want a lobby by yourself go play single player. There's a lot more to do...

That being said, they could have integrated crews/friends in a much better way. Like why the f*ck can't I start a race or mission and invite friends/crew members? Makes no sense, and has resulted in pretty much everyone I game with returning to GTA.

They need to fix the connectivity issues as well, that sh*t is embarrassing for a company like Rockstar. 

This game is not like an MMO, its just small groups of players shoved into small sessions of twenty or more. Most things players take part in are solitary pursuits, nothing is lost putting yourself in a solo session other than it no longer being possible to be griefed. When you encounter another player 95% of the time one of two things take place. They either pay you no mind, ride past you and go about their business. That or they shoot you or grief you for the sh*ts and giggles. You're not missing out on much putting yourself in a session of your own and have a lot to gain by isolating yourself from the toxicity. Nothing in RDO free roam requires cooperation, you can do everything on your own. In a few situations cooperation is discouraged like clearing hideouts, camps and so forth. Does not take long for player to turn on each other to try and keep the loot to themselves.

Private sessions have been around since Gta 4, where you make the map a playground exclusive to you and your friends. The only ones who lose out on this arrangement are the griefers who can no longer do so.

gtmike
10 minutes ago, Ghoffman9 said:

Many players are assholes by nature in online games and nothing Rockstar does will get those players to behave the way they want them to. Its a delusional vision being pursued despite the futility of it. This goes ten fold for games where the game is built up at its foundation that rewards sh*tty behavior like Rockstar's games are infamous for. Its because of this is why their games result in terrible communities.

This game is not like an MMO, its just small groups of players shoved into small sessions of twenty or more. Most things players take part in are solitary pursuits, nothing is lost putting yourself in a solo session other than it no longer being possible to be griefed. When you encounter another player 95% of the time one of two things take place. They either pay you no mind, ride past you and go about their business. That or they shoot you or grief you for the sh*ts and giggles. You're not missing out on much putting yourself in a session of your own and have a lot to gain by isolating yourself from the toxicity. Nothing in RDO free roam requires cooperation, you can do everything on your own. In a few situations cooperation is discouraged like clearing hideouts, camps and so forth. Does not take long for player to turn on each other to try and keep the loot to themselves.

Private sessions have been around since Gta 4, where you make the map a playground exclusive to you and your friends. The only ones who lose out on this arrangement are the griefers who can no longer do so.

Umm no, invite only in a game like this just creates a stale and lifeless version of single player with no danger or consequences. If that was their plan, I'd rather they just add stuff to single player.

There's plenty of co-op and competition to be had in freeroam, and there needs to be more reasons to interact with each other, not less. There's also more than enough room to strike out on your own if that's what you want. Invite only makes sense in GTA because of the mobility provided by jets and other vehicles. You can cross the map in a matter of seconds. The RDO map is more than big enough for 20-30 players to share. If they cave in to the carebears who consider every minor thing to be "griefing" the game really will die.

-LN-
Posted (edited)

No, GTAO was successful because it's GTA! The series has a long and established reputation and it appeals to a wider range of players. RDR is a much newer concept than GTA and it doesn't necessarily appeal to all of those who play or have played GTA.

I don't think it has anything to do with invite only sessions. I've felt for the longest time that I were in a minority with my preference of playing within invite only sessions in GTAO; most that I know or have known in the past always seemed to gravitate more towards joining public lobbies when they were not playing jobs. With free roam business endeavours in question, there are many (including myself) who will only do sources, sales, and the like within "private" public lobbies because of the general chaotic atmosphere of populated sessions, the fact that it's far too easy these days for someone to ruin what it is you're trying to accomplish, and just the way so many treat free roam as an endless deathmatch with no real objective at hand. However, it seems that more players overall still attempt to play within populated lobbies, regardless of their current state and how it is they choose to play the game.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

The reason RDO has stumbled since launch is because the game doesn't have enough content.

Also, this ^

GTAO has and has always had so much more to do and more options compared to RDO. RDO got off to an extremely slow start and overall it's still lacking content wise, but it has made and continues to make vast improvements since leaving beta. It may take a bit of time to get it where they would like to see it headed, but I wouldn't call it a failure. I too had my doubts during the beta days, but they at least seem committed and determined to try and make it work in the long run.

Edited by -LN-

Ghoffman9
1 hour ago, gtmike said:

Umm no, invite only in a game like this just creates a stale and lifeless version of single player with no danger or consequences. If that was their plan, I'd rather they just add stuff to single player.

There's plenty of co-op and competition to be had in freeroam, and there needs to be more reasons to interact with each other, not less. There's also more than enough room to strike out on your own if that's what you want. Invite only makes sense in GTA because of the mobility provided by jets and other vehicles. You can cross the map in a matter of seconds. The RDO map is more than big enough for 20-30 players to share. If they cave in to the carebears who consider every minor thing to be "griefing" the game really will die.

In both Gta and RDO it just contains a bunch of players doing their own thing. Nothing encourages cooperation, just a bunch of people doing what they want when they want. Most don't even speak to one another. There are players out there who just want to do things in a session of their own with their friends without the possibility of someone else ruining it, what makes you so special that only your way of playing should be catered to? Gta Online does both and you don't see it on life support now do you? What we want to do doesn't affect you in anyway. Other players should never dictate how you want to play, despite what the sweaty tryhards might say.

TyrionV

You can go so long without coming across other players sometimes that it feels like invite only anyways.

Not sure what are folk worried about. I hardly ever get attacked doing stranger missions, hunting, riding along or doing whatever and I haven’t been killed near a butchers since last year!

It was a slow start no doubt but it’s no bad thing having the time to get into it instead of being overwhelmed from the beginning. Once business are up and running things will take off. 

gtmike
8 minutes ago, Ghoffman9 said:

In both Gta and RDO it just contains a bunch of players doing their own thing. Nothing encourages cooperation, just a bunch of people doing what they want when they want. Most don't even speak to one another. There are players out there who just want to do things in a session of their own with their friends without the possibility of someone else ruining it, what makes you so special that only your way of playing should be catered to? Gta Online does both and you don't see it on life support now do you? What we want to do doesn't affect you in anyway. Other players should never dictate how you want to play, despite what the sweaty tryhards might say.

Other players absolutely should influence your experience, that's the whole point of playing a game online.... if you want to play by yourself, like I said before, single player is always available.

This game needs quite a few things in my opinion (like removing coward aka defensive mode) but invite only isn't one of them.

They are going for a more MMO like experience in freemode here, and I think it could turn out well with a few additions. I gave my opinion on the topic and I'm really not interested in what you think about it 😁

Leftover Pizza
Posted (edited)

Assuming people aren't just wishing to play solo in Invite Only sessions and would rather play with friends only, they could have done a better job. Failing though, not really. Still, I do think it will add a lot if people can choose to play in an Invite Only session, with friends or alone. I've seen a post where someone says an Invite Only session would result into a stale Story Mode world, but that happens most of the time during the public sessions too. The times you really encounter other players is fairly rare. 

If it becomes possible, I would choose to play Invite Only, though. With the current state of Rockstar's servers, I'd take the least risk of network problems as possible.

The question is more like, why are people opposed of others wanting to play in Invite Only sessions, if they do so wish?

Edited by Leftover Pizza

Fozzie

Not even close to failing...

Like Jason said, the lack of content is the main issue in all of this..

I got at least 50 Friends on my list just dying to get back into RDO, the lack of content and stuff to do casually is what keeps them away..

Also, we need friends/crews blips. Not everyone wants to play in a posse all the time just to be able to see where one another is on the map and not accidentally shoot one of the homies

gtmike
1 minute ago, Fozzie said:

Not even close to failing...

Like Jason said, the lack of content is the main issue in all of this..

I got at least 50 Friends on my list just dying to get back into RDO, the lack of content and stuff to do casually is what keeps them away..

Also, we need friends/crews blips. Not everyone wants to play in a posse all the time just to be able to see where one another is on the map and not accidentally shoot one of the homies

Yeah I agree, the crew and friend implementation is just terrible in RDO. My crew tag appears on my character in social club, but nothing in game? Makes no sense.

Ghoffman9
55 minutes ago, gtmike said:

Other players absolutely should influence your experience, that's the whole point of playing a game online.... if you want to play by yourself, like I said before, single player is always available.

This game needs quite a few things in my opinion (like removing coward aka defensive mode) but invite only isn't one of them.

They are going for a more MMO like experience in freemode here, and I think it could turn out well with a few additions. I gave my opinion on the topic and I'm really not interested in what you think about it 😁

Thanks for making your intentions clear, you are in fact a griefer who wants to just shoot people and grief people minding their own business. Course I suspected this the whole time so I am not surprised by this. When you attack or grief a player, you are making them take part in something they have no interest in. You are forcing them to play the way you want them to. You are doing much more than simply influencing it, you're dictating how they'll play and putting an end to any entertainment they might have been enjoying.

In all other MMO (since you keep wanting to call it that) games there is a PvE and PvP option, all the big MMO's do it. Course Rockstar are never going to implement such a thing so the next best thing is private sessions. In PvE servers players can interact but not force you into PvP or some other situation that you have no interest in taking part in. There is a distinct difference that you are clearly trying to not acknowledge.

GTAO and RDO are more than just a never ending CoD deathmatch, and you just have to accept that you should not just force PvP on someone who is not interested. Forcing them to play the way you want them to. They got something for people who want to PvP, a thing called showdowns, not sure if you haven't heard of them before. They're all the rage. If you want to go sweat it up, go do it there, just don't forget to bring a towel to wipe yourself down afterward. :lol:

gtmike
1 minute ago, Ghoffman9 said:

Thanks for making your intentions clear, you are in fact a griefer who wants to just shoot people and grief people minding their own business. Course I suspected this the whole time so I am not surprised by this. When you attack or grief a player, you are making them take part in something they have no interest in. You are forcing them to play the way you want them to. You are doing much more than simply influencing it, you're dictating how they'll play and putting an end to any entertainment they might have been enjoying.

In all other MMO (since you keep wanting to call it that) games there is a PvE and PvP option, all the big MMO's do it. Course Rockstar are never going to implement such a thing so the next best thing is private sessions. In PvE servers players can interact but not force you into PvP or some other situation that you have no interest in taking part in. There is a distinct difference that you are clearly trying to not acknowledge.

GTAO and RDO are more than just a never ending CoD deathmatch, and you just have to accept that you should not just force PvP on someone who is not interested. Forcing them to play the way you want them to. They got something for people who want to PvP, a thing called showdowns, not sure if you haven't heard of them before. They're all the rage. If you want to go sweat it up, go do it there, just don't forget to bring a towel to wipe yourself down afterward. :lol:

It should be obvious to anyone with half a brain that this topic will be split among the two opposing points of view. Of course there has to be that one sad forum troll quoting everyone and arguing. 

I gave my opinion on the topic, and once again, I really don't care at all about yours 😁 Didn't even bother to read whatever this says ^

Ghoffman9
58 minutes ago, gtmike said:

It should be obvious to anyone with half a brain that this topic will be split among the two opposing points of view. Of course there has to be that one sad forum troll quoting everyone and arguing. 

I gave my opinion on the topic, and once again, I really don't care at all about yours 😁 Didn't even bother to read whatever this says ^

Anyone with a clue would also know the purpose of forums is to have discussions with others on said forums about a wide variety of topics. Simply disagreeing with you and stating why isn't trolling. You take any disagreement and just label it as trolling cause its easier. Go ahead and slink back to your mother's basement where you belong.

gtmike
3 minutes ago, Ghoffman9 said:

Anyone with a clue would also know the purpose of forums is to have discussions with others on said forums about a wide variety of topics. Simply disagreeing with you and stating why isn't trolling. You take any disagreement and just label it as trolling cause its easier. Go ahead and slink back to your mother's basement where you belong.

I'm just trying to contribute to the topic, not argue with bitter forum trolls. You've shown your true intentions with that post 👍 Reported this and any further interactions, get back under your bridge and stop derailing the thread.

CMCSAVAGE
22 minutes ago, Ghoffman9 said:

Go ahead and slink back to your mother's basement where you belong.

16 minutes ago, gtmike said:

get back under your bridge and stop derailing the thread.

giphy.gif

*Lola
3 hours ago, allgoodinthehood said:

Did RDR Online *FAIL* because of the lack of "Invite Only Mode?

It's not a complete fail without invite only.

Did I expect Rockstar's years of experience with gtao to carry over into rdo, YES.

That FAILED.

Chrismads

I don't think rdo has failed either.

And I don't think we'll need private lobbies with the goals R* claim to have for RDO.

A balanced open world, where people can mind their business, but still have the danger of agressive players, who isn't rewarded for mindless griefing, sounds like a nice, fresh idea that I believe could work for everyone.

I agree that solo story missions would be nice and I also agree that weekend warriors is a pestilense, but I do not believe that solo lobbies is a good addition to RDO. 

There need to be a better justice system to properly punish mindless griefers. 

AmyStone
5 hours ago, allgoodinthehood said:

It's a subject that has been on my mind since the release of the RDR Online beta. Was the success of GTA Online partially due to the fact that you could separate yourself and the people you select from the public lobby and have your own sessions, versus the "Posse up" option given in RDR Online?

This is an Open Topic. All opinions welcome but try to keep it on topic..

But it hasn't failed. Has it? How many are using it? Do you know?

Leftover Pizza
43 minutes ago, Chrismads said:

I don't think rdo has failed either.

And I don't think we'll need private lobbies with the goals R* claim to have for RDO.

A balanced open world, where people can mind their business, but still have the danger of agressive players, who isn't rewarded for mindless griefing, sounds like a nice, fresh idea that I believe could work for everyone.

I agree that solo story missions would be nice and I also agree that weekend warriors is a pestilense, but I do not believe that solo lobbies is a good addition to RDO. 

There need to be a better justice system to properly punish mindless griefers. 

Solo sessions would probably not be the answer, but Invite Only would be a lot more, so you can play the game with friends instead of the rest of the world. Agreed weekend warriors are a pest, but they will always  be there and have as much a right to play the game as the rest of the world, which is why containing like minded players together in the same sessions would add to the pleasure of playing this game. It's impossible for Rockstar to determine what kind of player each individual player is, so it's easiest to tackle this like they did in GTA Online.

Nothing wrong with that.

Crokey

@Ghoffman9 & @gtmike : The pair of you, quit it or I'll send the two of you for a short trip no Nopostyville.

Now @CMCSAVAGE hand me some of that popcorn.

AmyStone
4 hours ago, gtmike said:

I agree. I wouldn't have done a few months ago tho. If there was an invite only session I don't think I would use it. Much more fun to play with and against other people. Red Dead isn't the same as GTA. Nobody can see you across the other side of the map doing a mission and get to you within 2 minutes. Someone has to be pretty close to be able to mess with you and you can check for red dots before you even start something. The free roam missions I do get attacked maybe 1 out of every 10 and those are the ones I enjoy the most.