Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. Gameplay
      2. Missions
      3. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Gameplay
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    1. Crews & Posses

      1. Recruitment
    2. Events

    1. GTA Online

      1. Arena War
      2. After Hours
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Grand Theft Auto Series

    3. GTA Next

    4. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    5. GTA IV

      1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    6. GTA Chinatown Wars

    7. GTA Vice City Stories

    8. GTA Liberty City Stories

    9. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    12. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    13. Wiki

      1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption

    2. Rockstar Games

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

    2. Forum Support

    3. Site Suggestions

AnimalFather

Non of your actions impacted the world

Recommended Posts

AnimalFather

There are many reasons I didn't like the game but one of them was that your action had no impact on the world whatsoever. Rob a bank the bank is up and running the next day like nothing happened. Blowup half of St.Dennis and there's no trace of anything that took place there. This is why i disagree when people say the game is very interactive. Your actions have very little bearing on the world itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
~INDIO~
30 minutes ago, AnimalFather said:

There are many reasons I didn't like the game but one of them was that your action had no impact on the world whatsoever. Rob a bank the bank is up and running the next day like nothing happened. Blowup half of St.Dennis and there's no trace of anything that took place there. This is why i disagree when people say the game is very interactive. Your actions have very little bearing on the world itself.

They can only go so far with it. 

How are they going to make it possible for St.Denis to be in ruins for the rest of the game? It just wouldn't work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GinsengElixir

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.  

 

They give the player freedom to do whatever they like outside of missions, yet don't make the game unplayable by adding unbearable level of realism, cause and affect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DrDetroit

Not so sure that is entirely true, but I do get your point.  I haven't checked the St.Denis bank, but the jail in Valentine has been repaired and you can tell it's been repaired.  I can't think of anywhere else where the buildings were partially destroyed, but some of the actions and destruction during the story are evident in the environment.  

 

Anyhow, as I said, I do understand the point.  Would be cool if everything influenced by your actions in the environment were persistent and you'd see it being rebuilt, ect., but I'd imagine that'd take a lot of coding.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
monochrome_infinity

There's only so much that a studio can physically do to simulate a world. Rockstar is far and away the best at world simulation but there's still manpower limitations, so I think you have to set your expectations lower next time OP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JC_HUMBLE

That concept is even hard to imagine for me... Let's assume you find this random cabin and you decide to burn it to the ground then you go and do a mission and that cabin has a purpose on that mission, how do you explain it to not lose that impact in the world? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SeniorDerp

Sometimes I feel like people forget they’re playing a video game..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UpTheDowngrade
Posted (edited)

 

"Doesn't even matter what choices you make" :p

Edited by UpTheDowngrade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jabalous
17 hours ago, SeniorDerp said:

Sometimes I feel like people forget they’re playing a video game..

Exactly. I mean they can easily go that far in simulation, but then will the game be fun and accessible? I highly doubt it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vinewood Villain

Rockstar makes so many claims as to redefining open world gaming every time they release a new game. The truth is, RDR2 hardly feels any more "alive" than even GTA IV. They simply have a state-of-the-art physics engine and an unrestrained obsession to (mostly useless) detail. Combined with high production values, they have a game that's stunning to look at but not very fun to play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
happygrowls
On 6/7/2019 at 8:32 PM, AnimalFather said:

There are many reasons I didn't like the game but one of them was that your action had no impact on the world whatsoever. Rob a bank the bank is up and running the next day like nothing happened. Blowup half of St.Dennis and there's no trace of anything that took place there.

Robbing the bank, Arthur and co were in guarma for over a week atleast, the bank would be open then.

The mission with the tram ends with the tram crashing, the fence is broken and is later fixed.

 

Most of the time, what they do in the story mode missions ends with them making sure not to return anytime soon, as people would recognise them.

 

Case in point, Arthur's fight with Tommy, everyone for the rest of the game remembers that fight.

 

I believe that residents of towns still talk of missions that happen there, I remember RDR1 would have people talking about events that happened.

 

4 minutes ago, Vinewood Villain said:

Rockstar makes so many claims as to redefining open world gaming every time they release a new game. The truth is, RDR2 hardly feels any more "alive" than even GTA IV. They simply have a state-of-the-art physics engine and an unrestrained obsession to (mostly useless) detail. Combined with high production values, they have a game that's stunning to look at but not very fun to play. 

Agree to disagree, RDR2 is the most alive world Rockstar have made. GTA V feels shallow and empty compared to it, NPC's don't do much aside from casually walk around, you can't even follow them around without them getting suspicious for 2 seconds. GTA IV and RDR felt the most alive to me, NPC's felt like they were doing things, that's just my opinion though :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vinewood Villain

GTA V still feels more alive to me because of the location. The city is bustling with cars, music, phone calls, etc.. I know RDR2 is a western, but it feels very empty and shallow. The music in the game takes a back seat too, it feels prosaic. RDR1's music set the tone everywhere you went. It made it feel less lonely. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DrDetroit
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Vinewood Villain said:

GTA V still feels more alive to me because of the location. The city is bustling with cars, music, phone calls, etc.. I know RDR2 is a western, but it feels very empty and shallow. The music in the game takes a back seat too, it feels prosaic. RDR1's music set the tone everywhere you went. It made it feel less lonely. 

 

 

I have to 100% respectfully disagree.  GTAIV peds were much more active, with so much random stuff going on with those peds, compared to V, which, like the previous poster mentioned, don't do anything interesting. 

 

I was huge into LSPFDF and LCPDFR (cop mods), and the later was much better simply because the peds were always screwing around, fighting, robbing, and just more prone to do 'human' like things in IV.  Made it fun to simply patrol in IV, cause you never really knew what was going to happen - even approaching a car, the ped might shoot you from the drivers seat - this is just random stuff the peds did.

 

Where as in V, they do nothing, just walk around, no crime, no random craziness, so you have to mod the heck out of the peds so they act more alive.  Even then it just seems so scripted with all the, well, scripts running.  

 

RDR2 reminds me of IV in that regard.  

Edited by DrDetroit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GinsengElixir
27 minutes ago, Vinewood Villain said:

GTA V still feels more alive to me because of the location. The city is bustling with cars, music, phone calls, etc.. I know RDR2 is a western, but it feels very empty and shallow. The music in the game takes a back seat too, it feels prosaic. RDR1's music set the tone everywhere you went. It made it feel less lonely. 

 

 

Man, go into St.Denis and tell me the game feels empty and shallow. Even in Strawberry and Valentine, it feels like a world where people are doing something even if it's lounging around. Go into the wilderness...it's teeming with life, albeit non-human life. The ecosystem is incredible.

 

In GTAV the peds were just zombies with no illusion of agency.

 

The only thing about Rdr2 is that as far as I recall the peds don't react to rain. Also that so many buildings aren't accessible. Whyyyyyy. All other major open world games manage it.

26 minutes ago, DrDetroit said:

I have to 100% respectfully disagree.  GTAIV peds were much more active, with so much random stuff going on with those peds, compared to V, which, like the previous poster mentioned, don't do anything interesting. 

 

I was huge into LSPFDF and LCPDFR (cop mods), and the later was much better simply because the peds were always screwing around, fighting, robbing, and just more prone to do 'human' like things in IV.  Made it fun to simply patrol in IV, cause you never really knew what was going to happen - even approaching a car, the ped might shoot you from the drivers seat - this is just random stuff the peds did.

 

Where as in V, they do nothing, just walk around, no crime, no random craziness, so you have to mod the heck out of the peds so they act more alive.  Even then it just seems so scripted with all the, well, scripts running.  

 

RDR2 reminds me of IV in that regard.  

Yeah, IV felt very alive and busy...even though the tech couldn't allow more population density. LC was a great world.

 

I didn't really have an issue with LS...it was top level world design as per usual with R*, it was just the peds who seemed like a step back after IV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DrDetroit
5 minutes ago, GinsengElixir said:

I didn't really have an issue with LS...it was top level world design as per usual with R*, it was just the peds who seemed like a step back after IV.

Yea, me either, I put many hours into GTAV story mode, lots of time in GTAO, and LSPDFR.  Fantastic stuff, but as you pointed out, IV peds were much better at being 'human'.  

 

I get that same feeling from RDR2.  Not the GTAV humanoids, but much more alive with personality.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IG_
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Vinewood Villain said:

Rockstar makes so many claims as to redefining open world gaming every time they release a new game. The truth is, RDR2 hardly feels any more "alive" than even GTA IV. They simply have a state-of-the-art physics engine and an unrestrained obsession to (mostly useless) detail. Combined with high production values, they have a game that's stunning to look at but not very fun to play. 

You really need to revisit GTA4 if you think RDR2 hardly feels more alive than GTA4. The player's interaction with the world in GTAIV is non-existent out of the primary campaign missions. RDR2 has a whole interactive world beyond its own story campaign.

Edited by IG_

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
O.Z

I have been playing GTA IV recently(got it for one X) and the random stuff that NPC’s do are still unmatched in RDR2. They commit all sort of crimes etc. Whereas in RDR2 I haven’t seen NPC’s committing crimes, stealing etc. No random lawmen chasing some one, no nothing... everybody else apart from you acts in a perfect Westworld way. And that is a letdown. So in this regard GTA IV beats RDR2

 

PS: GTA V’s NPC’s are one of the worst... not to mention that the world feels plastic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GinsengElixir
23 minutes ago, O.Z said:

I have been playing GTA IV recently(got it for one X) and the random stuff that NPC’s do are still unmatched in RDR2. They commit all sort of crimes etc. Whereas in RDR2 I haven’t seen NPC’s committing crimes, stealing etc. No random lawmen chasing some one, no nothing... everybody else apart from you acts in a perfect Westworld way. And that is a letdown. So in this regard GTA IV beats RDR2

 

PS: GTA V’s NPC’s are one of the worst... not to mention that the world feels plastic

That is true. NPCs in Rdr2 don't do bad deeds outside of repetitive scripted events.

 

How does GTAIV play on One X? Been thinking of getting it. I miss it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
O.Z
6 minutes ago, GinsengElixir said:

That is true. NPCs in Rdr2 don't do bad deeds outside of repetitive scripted events.

 

How does GTAIV play on One X? Been thinking of getting it. I miss it.

I would recommend it, the frame rate is greatly improved. Check out some YouTube comparisons videos if you need some convincing, but IMO it’s definitely worth getting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The FoolYT

I remember in GTA 4, a police offer could hold up a person and they would talk and say stuff likes asking for ID and they could even call in another police officer with a car to arrest a person.

 

One of the missions in GTA 4, there was a gang in a house (like 4-5 guys) so I kept calling 911 and got quite a few police officers to arrive (like about 8-10) and they all rushed the house and i could hear the gunfire and i was amazed. (amazed that the police actually attacked them and the gang fought back) I then walked in to see like 4 cops bleeding out and like 1-2 guys of the gang left and finished them all off.

 

GTA 5 is ok but it feels kind of dead because there's no randomness like that. Hell, they should have random drunk drivers (like spawn in a car driver with certain a.i), maybe cars with gang members in them blasting radio, maybe biker gangs up north in the desert region (like you can see a group of bikers riding together) and such to add to the game.

 

RDR2 itself has only one real variable that you yourself can change which is the honour. Everything else is basically scripted but i do appreciate the attention to detail to certain things (stuff like horse testicle size changing depending on weather is a bit too far IMO, like I don't think 99% of people would notice that.) GTA 5 has one real choice, and you can choose that regardless of any other action you choose or do. Even then, the choice is quite stupid and one path has no consequence compared to the other two which suggests a bit of bias in a way.

 

GTA 4 had choices as well which were decent as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JC_HUMBLE

I always see a lawman chasing a guy in Saint Denis 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
izXenon
On 6/8/2019 at 5:02 AM, JC_HUMBLE said:

That concept is even hard to imagine for me... Let's assume you find this random cabin and you decide to burn it to the ground then you go and do a mission and that cabin has a purpose on that mission, how do you explain it to not lose that impact in the world? 

That's not what he said. It's the other way around. Like if you burn a cabin down during a mission, why the hell is it up and in a perfect shape after the mission is completed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LeslieFromTheShoIntimacy
22 minutes ago, izXenon said:

That's not what he said. It's the other way around. Like if you burn a cabin down during a mission, why the hell is it up and in a perfect shape after the mission is completed. 

Not speaking for him, but I’m thinking he gets that.  He’s saying if you burn that cabin down in the beginning, and it never gets repaired, then what if that particular cabin is important later on in the game? How do you explain that plothole? 

 

IE: First day you play, you blow up every city battlefield style and there’s nothing but ruins everywhere for the rest of the game.. well that would be game ruining wouldn’t it ?  It would cause huge inconsistencies in the plot, dialogue, and immersion.

 

I do think video games are gonna get to that point but we’re not there yet.  I would like to see destructible buildings in GTA.  My solution to the plothole/game ruining scenario of an entire town in ruins is, If you destroy a building, then it should stay destroyed temporarily and be “rebuilt” after a few in game days.  It doesn’t have to be realistic like take a whole year or so to build back up. 

 

Like in Vice City, after you blow up that building it stays damaged for the rest of the game.  The technology probably just wasn’t there to have it return to it’s normal or even a completed state.  In future titles, though...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cutter De Blanc

Dude ( think it was rob nelson) basically said in an interview like technically they could do that where you burn down a forest and it stays burned down, but that wouldn't be a very fun game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XXVIII
Posted (edited)
On 6/10/2019 at 12:34 PM, LeslieFromTheShoIntimacy said:

 

The implementation of destructible buildings, or even the environment in its entirety, along with other aspects of realism would be a welcoming addition to the next installment, by my volition. The Next Generation of hardware will surely enable Them to pursue a more prospective vision and delve more into realism, such as with vehicles and audio design. It is further my unwavering position that the next experience will be engineered to amaze from presentation, to visual fidelity, to the box art.

 

To where prior to meeting the experience in the pixels, all 2,160 of them, you will feel it in the frames of the box art. With that feeling pervading all over the cover through the aesthetics, bringing the greatest distinction and evolution to the franchise, yet. 🙂 In truth one of my ultimate dreams is to commandeer real vehicles within a future installment; I simply had to make the admission and I hereby unleash it. There is something so cool and ambitious about having the public being able to drive the make/model of vehicle that they do in real life or their dream car, with full scale customization such as lift kits and the redemption of nitrous oxide for that taste of Midnight Club.

 

Having said that, I am respectful for the fact that my dream of the visibility of real or license vehicles will not come to fruition, in that it would be deviation from the formula. Moreover, the automotive industry would surely not like to have their brands, and therefore their assets, showcased within a Grand Theft Auto installment.

 

Whilst the in-game brands have been regarded as a staple and are such a characteristic that have defined these experiences in part, it would be fantastic to usher in a new universe. How might such a universe be illuminated? By the delivery of full scale realism that is so jarring, but yet so unfathomably beautiful that the only initial sentiments will be a strike to the jaw, tears and the following utterance: ‘Whoa; did I seriously just hear/see this in a video game?! That is a real Jeep Grand Cherokee with the ‘JEEP’ emblem or a Ford F-150. This is suppose to be Canis or Vapid! I never would have expected Forza-style exteriors and interiors that showcase the fine, trivial details of their respective instrument clusters, (such as the gauge needles sweeping and all of the colored lights illuminating and then fading like in real life).’ That is all theoretical, of course. 😉    

 

But, one never knows. 🙂  The PlayStation 5, Project Scarlett and the next echelon of gaming could harness enough power to build an experience that would set the benchmark for tenacity and ambition within a video game. Referencing the pivotal words of Their former ace ‘Mercedes-Benz’, (...) ‘One big world containing all our cities.’ The potential is there and that vision could be achieved by harnessing the power of the Next Generation. It is exciting to ponder the thought of it all: the evolution and complexity of a new experience. 

 

I will hold onto my dream Grand Theft Auto experience for the future, and absolutely cannot wait for what They will have to unleash on the video game market. It will be something of amazement and unseen. And we should always leave the chance that something epic will happen. 

 

I cannot wait for the first day of E3, tomorrow. Thank you for reading, as this was a lengthy submission. 🙂

Edited by XXVIII
.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
O.Z
19 hours ago, JC_HUMBLE said:

I always see a lawman chasing a guy in Saint Denis 

Really? Have you got a video of it? After 350+ hours I have never seen anyone being chased by the law...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0223998743

RDR2 remain a theme park, that is the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Oldsport
2 hours ago, O.Z said:

Really? Have you got a video of it? After 350+ hours I have never seen anyone being chased by the law...

its a very scripted event, a cop chases a random ped down a alley and knocks him out and then picks him up and takes him somewhere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
O.Z
4 minutes ago, Oldsport said:

its a very scripted event, a cop chases a random ped down a alley and knocks him out and then picks him up and takes him somewhere

lol, yeah I thought so, it has so many scripted random stuff, but once you finish the story there is none left... disappointing. I wish it had the same randomness like in GTA IV. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JC_HUMBLE

Yeah it's kinda scripted, but keeps repeating for me unlike the others 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • 4 Users Currently Viewing
    1 member, 0 Anonymous, 3 Guests

    • NosferatuLudd
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.