1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

does anyone prefer RDR1 over the second?

7th Ward Charizard

One thing I have not seen mentioned on here is the safe "minigame". That was so fun! It was allowed for some anxious moments at times (Blackwater Bank especially). In RDR2 it is just a lazy waiting game, because Arthur (after 30 years of being an outlaw) does not know about the "rattle" in safe (but Jack somehow does). Also the soundtrack in 2 was awful the same track is repeated over and over again with minimal difference between how it plays between states, it just sounds like... hillybilly. RDR1 had a f**king tone with its soundtrack (ambient and Original Soundtrack); somber and slowly dying; also the NPC songs too (Rathskeller Fork harmonica, Armadillo Piano Man). RDO's soundtrack is beautiful though; I honestly think that soundtrack was originally RDR2's [SP] but they decided to switch it for some reason.

I tried to read through a few pages so if I did mention stuff that was already mentioned then I likely accidentally skipped over it.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I love both nearly the same. However,RDR 2 is objectively superior in every single way and i'd say it's the greatest Rockstar game ever released.

Hell,it's arguably the best game of all time in some categories (Gameplay,story,atomosphere,graphics,physics,animations,feeling etc).

That's my opinion,feel free to agree or disagree.

SonnyForelli91

I prefer RDR, it's a classic western spaghetti video game, you have missions in the desert, you have the Mexicans

you feel like you are in a Sergio Leone's movie with Clint Estwood. Can't get any better.

13 hours ago, SonnyForelli91 said:

I prefer RDR, it's a classic western spaghetti video game, you have missions in the desert, you have the Mexicans

you feel like you are in a Sergio Leone's movie with Clint Estwood. Can't get any better.

Same here. And that ambient music, my God.

• Like 4

billiejoearmstrong8

The music honestly amazes me. The ambient music, music in missions and the well placed special song moments are perfect. Such a huge amount of work must've gone into it and the result is breathtaking. Haven't played for a few months but one of the things I'm most looking forward to when I do again is just riding around New Austin enjoying the music and atmosphere. 

• Like 2

On 1/28/2021 at 6:39 AM, XerostarTG said:

One thing I have not seen mentioned on here is the safe "minigame". That was so fun! It was allowed for some anxious moments at times (Blackwater Bank especially). In RDR2 it is just a lazy waiting game, because Arthur (after 30 years of being an outlaw) does not know about the "rattle" in safe (but Jack somehow does).

It's not that it matters that much anyway, you only really crack a safe in one mission.    

Also the soundtrack in 2 was awful the same track is repeated over and over again with minimal difference between how it plays between states, it just sounds like...

You forgot to specify you were talking about "Ambient sountrack" .  RDR2's combat and mission soundtrack is superior over RDR1's, IMO.

On 3/26/2021 at 5:09 PM, The Tracker said:

It's not that it matters that much anyway, you only really crack a safe in one mission.    

That is not the point at all (the one mission only thing). You can crack safes out of missions (unlike 2), and it feels more fun and actually makes the post-story game fun. In 2 you just get a bunch of money you do not know what to do with and buy horses you likely already bought as Arthur.

You forgot to specify you were talking about "Ambient sountrack" .  RDR2's combat and mission soundtrack is superior over RDR1's, IMO.

Given that I said: 

how it plays between states

It could be assumed that it is not the mission/primary soundtrack that I was talking about.

On 3/22/2021 at 7:55 PM, SonnyForelli91 said:

I prefer RDR2 but its true that RDR1 had the classic western vibe, that was really missing in RDR2 for some reason

On 3/29/2021 at 4:32 AM, FanEu7 said:

but its true that RDR1 had the classic western vibe

I agree, RDR1's music is a bit more classic style than RDR2.

• 3 weeks later...
GuiCORLEONEx794
On 1/5/2021 at 6:20 AM, XerostarTG said:

Kind of an odd thing to say but: my god you people exist. I thought I was the only one who preferred RDR1 to RDR2. I have always kind of been afraid to say it on the internet. Thank you for being the safe haven of discussion on this.

Yeah, i always get hate when i say i prefer RDR1 on the internet

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
LorshZontek

There are things that i think RDR does a lot better than RDR2 and there are some things that i think RDR2 does better than RDR, i honestly don't know which one i prefer more, though i do prefer the soundtrack of RDR over RDR2

• Like 2

FRIDA_KAHLO

I didn't particularly like either gameplay mechanic much more or less. However, I thought #2 story of Arthur was kind of weak and wished I could just play my own character like online. And yet in #1, I found the story of John Marsten compelling enough. In fact, the most interesting thing about the "Arthur" mode was seeing John Marsten's rescue scene. At the end of the day I give it to #2; but not as Arthur. When FRIDA_KAHLO comes around Arthur will know me as a red dot

2 hours ago, FRIDA_KAHLO said:

I didn't particularly like either gameplay mechanic much more or less. However, I thought #2 story of Arthur was kind of weak and wished I could just play my own character like online. And yet in #1, I found the story of John Marsten compelling enough. In fact, the most interesting thing about the "Arthur" mode was seeing John Marsten's rescue scene. At the end of the day I give it to #2; but not as Arthur. When FRIDA_KAHLO comes around Arthur will know me as a red dot

True, as much as I enjoy playing as Arthur, his character isn't exactly anything we haven't seen before. I think he is a cliche well done and I respect that but nothing special especially if you play honorably. 

• Like 2
  • excuseme 1

I love both to death, but I'd have to go with RDR2, without a doubt. It spoiled me in a lot of ways. The gameplay is so engrossing, the world is so huge, the fidelity is unmatched. I can spend hours just hunting alone. Hunting in RDR1 meanwhile was a very arcadey process - you can put as many rounds as you wanted into your game and it'd still yield resources. With RDR2 it's different. You have to consider your scent and the wind direction, where your shot fires, whether you're using the right weapon, you have to take the weather into account as some animals are less active than others depending on conditions...

Plus, whenever I play RDR1 I always feel like I'm in a rush. The frequency of random encounters is too high. I just can't get immersed; and there are lots of annoying ways to die. You never get a real break from the action. Not so in RDR2 (at least not often). I never have to worry about anything. The rare times you do have an encounter, they feel real and it adds to the immersion. When I die in RDR2, it feels fair, but in RDR1, I'm annoyed because I wasn't fast enough to kill the NPC that I didn't know would be hostile, or whatever.

The way I see it, RDR1 is a more game-y experience, while RDR2 is more immersive. RDR1 can be great fun if that's what you're in the mood for - a quick-twitch action game. That's what made Undead Nightmare so fun. But there really isn't much else to do aside from minigames and completing challenges. RDR2 offers so much more, and it's a lot less stressful. You can take your time. There's breathing room. I don't know how else to explain it, but it's just the kind of game I prefer. Sometimes I don't want to play an all-out action game.

Kf36O8y.png

RDR1 100%! Even RDR1's gameplay/game mechanics were next level in 2010! but in RDR2 only graphics were next level in 2018! 

+ RDR1 felt more like a western game!

GuiCORLEONEx794

Its funny to think how much was downgraded from RDR1 to RDR2. They had like 8 years to make the game but a lot of things they manage to get it worse.

A great example for me is how the clothes in RDR1 feel more realistic, they feel like they actually fit the character, it feels like the character is wearing the clothes, and the physics for the duster and ponchos are great. In RDR2 the clothes often feel like they are floating in the character, it doesn't look like the character is really wearing them, it doesn't feel like real life clothes, its like all clothes were made of lego bricks all connecting to each other. The coats physics are a massive downgrade, if you remove the satchel for example the coat tail will go crazily broken.

Another thing downgraded was multiple characters system. RDR1's wasn't really good, since Jack walked like John and had John's pain noises, but the character at least felt different, since Jack's head and hair were completely unique and he even had 3 dimensional beard unlike John. GTA V was a MASSIVE improvement with multiple characters system, each character behaved completely different, had his own unique stats, the peds treated each protagonist different, they had unique animations, voice lines and stranger missions, they had unique beard and hairstyles. In RDR2 however, its a MASSIVE downgrade managing to be worse than GTA V and RDR1, since John is basically Arthur in the epilogue with a black hair, even sharing the same animations and body models, including hairstyles and such. 

8 hours ago, GuiCORLEONEx794 said:

Its funny to think how much was downgraded from RDR1 to RDR2. They had like 8 years to make the game but a lot of things they manage to get it worse.

Not that much, at least compared to almost every other AAA sequel out there, that, and how much it improved in comparison. 

A great example for me is how the clothes in RDR1 feel more realistic, they feel like they actually fit the character, it feels like the character is wearing the clothes, and the physics for the duster and ponchos are great. In RDR2 the clothes often feel like they are floating in the character, it doesn't look like the character is really wearing them, it doesn't feel like real life clothes, its like all clothes were made of lego bricks all connecting to each other. The coats physics are a massive downgrade, if you remove the satchel for example the coat tail will go crazily broken.

I have my problems regarding RDR2 clothes, but I got to disagree on this, I think RDR2 cloth physics were actually pretty impressive. The way clothes (Specially long coats) would flow with actions such as running, riding on horseback, using ledgers, etc, they didn't move as realistic in RDR1, IMO. 

Another thing downgraded was multiple characters system. RDR1's wasn't really good, since Jack walked like John and had John's pain noises, but the character at least felt different, since Jack's head and hair were completely unique and he even had 3 dimensional beard unlike John. GTA V was a MASSIVE improvement with multiple characters system, each character behaved completely different, had his own unique stats, the peds treated each protagonist different, they had unique animations, voice lines and stranger missions, they had unique beard and hairstyles. In RDR2 however, its a MASSIVE downgrade managing to be worse than GTA V and RDR1, since John is basically Arthur in the epilogue with a black hair, even sharing the same animations and body models, including hairstyles and such. 

Yeah, this is actually true, Rockstar did John dirty in RDR2, there's a rumor that implies Rockstar rushed the release of the game when they were working on John's epilogue model, and that's why we got Arthur Marston in the end, I mean, they couldn't even add John a freaking puking noise, lmao, even when it can be encountered in the game files.

GuiCORLEONEx794
21 minutes ago, The Tracker said:

I have my problems regarding RDR2 clothes, but I got to disagree on this, I think RDR2 cloth physics were actually pretty impressive. The way clothes (Specially long coats) would flow with actions such as running, riding on horseback, using ledgers, etc, they didn't move as realistic in RDR1, IMO. 

To me, RDR2 clothes fill very stiff most of the time, even when its moving it feels stiff. In RDR1, the poncho physics looks so good, and the duster tail is so realistic, you can see how it moves with the wind or when you are running, you can see how the the coat movement gets affected once John/Jack's foot hits the tail when walking. In RDR2 the duster looks stiff even when running on horseback lol. In RDR1 the player is sitting on the duster so you can't really see its physics when riding on horseback...

• Like 3

XerostarTG
12 hours ago, GuiCORLEONEx794 said:

They should have tried to do some sort of port of John/Jack's walking animation into RDR2 (maybe some sort of animation adaptive tech so it could act more modern). Arthur and John's (RDR1) gait feels confident for who they are. John walked like a badass in RDR1, but in RDR2 he looks all hyped up and like the "Wide Walking Person" meme, lol.

I agree that RDR2's clothes suck. For me it is not that they are stiff, but they feel almost cartoony or unclassy at times. RDR1's duster coat was a Chad; it was dirty, but its tail animation and style (lapels and what not), made it look classy. RDR2's duster is just sad, I was so sad to see it look like that. The duster coat personifies everything wrong with RDR2 for me and how RDR1 was so much better.

• Like 3

Mysterious hero
On 5/14/2021 at 8:00 AM, GuiCORLEONEx794 said:

At least in the first game, things like the walking animation and the fact that Jack says the exact same thing as John during the Stranger Missions can be excused in that Jack is attempting to emulate his late father. That, and it certainly possible that Jack could unintentionally sound like John at times, given that they're father and son. 

The second game? It's like, why would John attempt to emulate Arthur? I'm sure he looked up to Arthur when he was a kid, but John was already his own man with a wife and son when the gang fell apart. It just seems... strange.

The hair, the reuse of sounds, and the way epilogue John looks cannot be excused.

Posted (edited)

RDR2 is without a doubt objectively better, but replay-wise, I'd give it to the first game.

I really love Sergio Leone films so RDR1 really itched that scratch for me with it's orangey texas/arizona and mexico pastiche setting and the lone stranger vibe it has. RDR2 in contrast was definitely more niche and more of a period piece for the 1890s in general like how Vice City was for the 80s and San Andreas for the early 90s, and the atmosphere generally felt more 'gothic' and 'Victorian', for a lack of any better words. There's so much macabre stuff going on in the game despite the generally more optimistic tone not to mention all the weird strangers and towns that feel like something out of a Wes Anderson or Tim Burton movie in there.

Edited by DownInThePMs
  • Like 3

On 5/22/2021 at 4:05 PM, DownInThePMs said:

I really love Sergio Leone films so RDR1 really itched that scratch for me with it's orangey texas/arizona and mexico pastiche setting and the lone stranger vibe it has. RDR2 in contrast was definitely more niche and more of a period piece for the 1890s in general like how Vice City was for the 80s and San Andreas for the early 90s, and the atmosphere generally felt more 'gothic' and 'Victorian', for a lack of any better words. There's so much macabre stuff going on in the game despite the generally more optimistic tone not to mention all the weird strangers and towns that feel like something out of a Wes Anderson or Tim Burton movie in there.

More than gothic or victorian, I would say RDR2 gives more resemblance to modern westerns, such as Open Range or The Hateful Eight, with their grim, cold vibes.

15 hours ago, The Tracker said:

More than gothic or victorian, I would say RDR2 gives more resemblance to modern westerns, such as Open Range or The Hateful Eight, with their grim, cold vibes.

....and they all find their roots in Seven Samurai and The Wild Bunch lol

UltimateAntic

I honestly don't understand this thread. RDR2 is objectively superior. Sure there is a couple of small things RDR1 did better, but RDR2 does everything else waaay better.

On 5/14/2021 at 3:00 PM, GuiCORLEONEx794 said:

Not sure what you mean with "floating on the character". The individual clothing pieces such as neckwear on my RDR2 character move around indepently of the jacket and shirt when I walk. When my character gets hit or falls down, I can actually lose my hat. Hell I can swap hats with other hats in realtime. When I stab someone in the neck, their blood gets on my coat in a nice way (this sentence sounds so wrong out of context lol....)

Meanwhile in RDR1 you only have a preset of uniform meaning you cannot mix and match articles of clothing. Your clothes are also very static in the sense that they do NOT get dirty from the various terrain or harsh wind. They do get wet but IIRC it was a very basic effect compared to GTAV and RDR2. Your hat is also glued on your head as well... The only thing I can fault are poncho's. But on a gameplay and technical level, RDR2's clothing system is better IMO.

billiejoearmstrong8
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, UltimateAntic said:

I honestly don't understand this thread. RDR2 is objectively superior. Sure there is a couple of small things RDR1 did better, but RDR2 does everything else waaay better.

It doesn't say "is RDR2 objectively better" is says does anyone prefer RDR1. It's a question of personal preference. There are plenty of aspects that people might prefer in RDR1 that make it more enjoyable than RDR2 for them, depending on what they most value in the game. For example I prefer the simpler gameplay with fewer obligations and the more free/less scripted feeling movement/physics. Imo the story/writing, level of detail and obviously the graphics are better in RDR2 but personally I prefer the gameplay of RDR1. RDR2 also carries over the tiresome getting wanted by accident way too easily thing from GTA V (with the dumb addition of the vague crime of "disturbing the peace" which wasn't present in RDR1) which is a real buzzkill. Whereas in RDR1 you're never going to get wanted unless you purposely choose to commit a crime. Also although RDR1 is also quite bad with main missions being overly scripted/lacking in freedom/too easily failed I believe RDR2 is even worse in that regard. 

All the detail in RDR2 is extremely impressive but I really like how in RDR1 you're not obligated to do stuff like maintaining your appearance/horses/weapons and support the camp etc and instead you're free to do as you please and just get to the action quickly without being nagged or suffering negative consequences for not doing chores/what other characters want you to do. There's good things about both ways, which is better comes down to what each person prefers. I love intricate detail and great writing a lot but I also love freedom in gameplay a lot so it's a tough pick but I can totally see people who consider freedom a big deal preferring RDR1.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8

Unfortunately I've never played RDR1 but I'd like the chance to do it. Only way possible now is through streaming which I'm not going to pay to do.

GuiCORLEONEx794
5 hours ago, UltimateAntic said:

Not sure what you mean with "floating on the character". The individual clothing pieces such as neckwear on my RDR2 character move around indepently of the jacket and shirt when I walk. When my character gets hit or falls down, I can actually lose my hat. Hell I can swap hats with other hats in realtime. When I stab someone in the neck, their blood gets on my coat in a nice way (this sentence sounds so wrong out of context lol....)

Meanwhile in RDR1 you only have a preset of uniform meaning you cannot mix and match articles of clothing. Your clothes are also very static in the sense that they do NOT get dirty from the various terrain or harsh wind. They do get wet but IIRC it was a very basic effect compared to GTAV and RDR2. Your hat is also glued on your head as well... The only thing I can fault are poncho's. But on a gameplay and technical level, RDR2's clothing system is better IMO.

In RDR1 you had preset outfits and wasn't able to customize them. So what? Since when thats a bad thing? The outfits in RDR1 are iconic and awesome, you had to unlock them by doing various tasks and all of them looked good. In RDR2 you only buy the outfits an all of the outfits are really lame, like for example the Ruffian and the Corson (seriously?). Also, RDR2 customization isn't even good enough to recreate the RDR1 outfits. I haven't seen a SINGLE good RDR1 outfit recreation ever in RDR2.

And what i mean by floating clothes is that coats, bandoliers, off hand holsters, gunbelts and such often feel like they don't fit the character, like if its somehow floating in the character, bandoliers for example look like f*cking HULA HOOPS

• Like 3

billiejoearmstrong8

I think all the customisation and stuff in RDR2 is awesome. But the simplicity of not having to deal with it in RDR1 is nice too. Select an outfit, grab some ammo from my chest and use a horse deed and I'm ready to go. No chores or personal grooming or eating or looking after my horse to do, I can go straight into action. The option of all that stuff in 2 is cool but I do think there's something to be said for the simple way as well. I don't think there's anything in RDR1 that feels like a chore or isn't fun to do.

UltimateAntic
Just now, GuiCORLEONEx794 said:

In RDR1 you had preset outfits and wasn't able to customize them. So what? Since when thats a bad thing?

Well that depends on the gamer. Some of us like to customize and create more unique outfits, while others prefers preset I guess. Personally while the preset outfits were badass, I kinda found it limiting. 

I guess some people really liked the RDR1 outfits and were bummed that they couldn't recreate them in RDR2 which is valid.

4 hours ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

All the detail in RDR2 is extremely impressive but I really like how in RDR1 you're not obligated to do stuff like maintaining your appearance/horses/weapons and support the camp etc and instead you're free to do as you please and just get to the action quickly without being nagged or suffering negative consequences for not doing chores/what other characters want you to do. There's good things about both ways, which is better comes down to what each person prefers. I love intricate detail and great writing a lot but I also love freedom in gameplay a lot so it's a tough pick but I can totally see people who consider freedom a big deal preferring RDR1.

Very true, the part where the player has to support the camp is completely optional. I never did it and had no negative impacts on my gameplay because of it. Though I can see why stuff like having to clean your weapon after use and needing to bond with your horse to get it to peak peformance can be considered boring chores.

56 minutes ago, GuiCORLEONEx794 said:

In RDR2 you only buy the outfits an all of the outfits are really lame,

Yeah, the outfit sets themselves are pretty ugly, but if you get creative enough, you can get to look pretty badass, imo.

ec29aea2bd83f17ea65fa60d796c6f02.jpg

b644cf538426cbb47be1cdf322e3bb69.jpg

qvmueavchbd61.png

d90acaa7e4f59b0febacdaeddccd39c1.jpg

3a59b3df4931abe8df76329462899631.jpg

1 hour ago, GuiCORLEONEx794 said:

And what i mean by floating clothes is that coats, bandoliers, off hand holsters, gunbelts and such often feel like they don't fit the character, like if its somehow floating in the character, bandoliers for example look like f*cking HULA HOOPS

The bandoliers sure look like hula hoops, everyone in the RDR community knows that they're ugly as hell :kekw:

However, regarding everything else, I'm afraid you're overthinking, they look fine, imo.

• Like 5