Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Gameplay
      3. Missions
      4. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Gameplay
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
      4. Frontier Pursuits
    1. Crews & Posses

      1. Recruitment
    2. Events

    1. GTA Online

      1. Diamond Casino & Resort
      2. DLC
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Grand Theft Auto Series

    3. GTA 6

    4. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    5. GTA IV

      1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    6. GTA Chinatown Wars

    7. GTA Vice City Stories

    8. GTA Liberty City Stories

    9. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    12. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    13. Wiki

      1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption

    2. Rockstar Games

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

    2. Forum Support

    3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
happygrowls

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)

Recommended Posts

Jason

Yea the "omg nooo a video game can't do this" articles have already started. No one bats an eyelid when a movie or series does it, so why not video games? I think video games should be tackling more serious subjects more often tbh, the AAA industry in particular plays it too safe when it comes to stories. Modern warfare stories in general have always fell pretty flat because it skirts around the real issues and instead makes grand world ending plans created by supervillains, we've been there done that a thousand times at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The N. Bellic Man

Before the trailer I wasn't sure if this is going be more than a hype job. But it seems like a real deal. I'm definitely looking forward to it now. Price is back!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Billy Russo
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yea the "omg nooo a video game can't do this" articles have already started. No one bats an eyelid when a movie or series does it, so why not video games? I think video games should be tackling more serious subjects more often tbh, the AAA industry in particular plays it too safe when it comes to stories. Modern warfare stories in general have always fell pretty flat because it skirts around the real issues and instead makes grand world ending plans created by supervillains, we've been there done that a thousand times at this point.

It really annoys me. For example in Call of Duty: WW2 they removed many historically accurate things just for the sake of avoiding negative press. That was genuine history, there's no reason it shouldn't be accurately portrayed. Movies do it all the time. 

Edited by Billy Russo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Static
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Billy Russo said:

Wow, SJW's are going to have a field day with this game. 

And on the other end of the spectrum, gamers white supremacist are gonna lose thier sh*t cus "OMG A BLACK WOMAN IN THE MILITARY?!?!?!"

Let's not act like any side is any better than the others. 

Edited by Static

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Billy Russo
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Static said:

And on the other end of the spectrum, gamers white supremacist are gonna lose thier sh*t cus "OMG A BLACK WOMAN IN THE MILITARY?!?!?!"

Let's not act like any side is any better than the others. 

I never said any side was better. You should pay no attention to those people, anyways. They clearly haven't got much going on in their life to complain about something so small. If people are really complaining about that in a 'Modern' Warfare game, then they are an idiot honestly.

Edited by Billy Russo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Static
12 minutes ago, Billy Russo said:

I never said any side was better. You should pay no attention to those people, anyways. They clearly haven't got much going on in their life to complain about something so small. If people are really complaining about that in a 'Modern' Warfare game, then they are an idiot honestly.

for whats it worth, your prediction came right first.

 

Mr. Couldnt Get Past Cuphead's Tutorial himself, Dean Takahashi.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Billy Russo
2 minutes ago, Static said:

for whats it worth, your prediction came right first.

 

Mr. Couldnt Get Past Cuphead's Tutorial himself, Dean Takahashi.
 

 

giphy.gif

 

I guess we better strap in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jason

I really hope Acti/IW go full on with it and don't back down. Games tackling serious and real topics is still very taboo so if f*cking CowaDooty can do it then any game can and we need more games with stories like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Static

Its really weird when you consider any series with any kind of political themes did away with them to cater to game journalists and then in-turn get sh*tted on for "not really sayin anything" like what happen with the last 2 Far Cry games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
D9fred95
16 hours ago, Static said:

for whats it worth, your prediction came right first.

 

Mr. Couldnt Get Past Cuphead's Tutorial himself, Dean Takahashi.
 

 

He'll probably kill himself in the tutorial by blowing himself up with a grenade or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MidworldDrifter

I read the article and it's not even that bad. All he's saying is that the game contradicts itself when it portrays war as morally grey and horrific, while at the same time possesses a multiplayer component where people are supposed to have fun shooting at each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Static
Posted (edited)
Quote

it brings to mind the No Russian controversy, where civilians are mowed down in a Russian airport in 2009’s Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

I was quite uncomfortable as I watched a gameplay demo of Modern Warfare, 

Quote

This is the nature of modern combat, the developers say. But this should not be a part of a modern video game, in my opinion, given the thin line between civilians and warriors and given the impression it creates in our world, which is driven by social media sound and video bites. It looks so much like you are killing innocent civilians. And if you make a mistake, you are.

Quote

This Modern Warfare will be controversial, and it might just be popular because of that controversy, if the company can weather the storm of criticism. But it would be a very cynical path to popularity. I would encourage the developers to examine whether they should include the scenes I’ve seen. Sure, it is realistic, and things like this happen in the world.

Quote

 Modern Warfare 2 probably sold better because of the No Russian controversy.

This one feels worse.

Quote

My question is about choices. We can make this kind of game, but should we? But should this kind of content, which we can see in movies or books, be in a video game? Should they be depicted in a form of art where we have so much agency? It’s going to be a Mature-rated game that kids shouldn’t play, but I had a conversation with an Uber driver who told me he lets his 6-year-old play Call of Duty.

Quote

But this puts us on a slippery slope toward a lot of things. What about school shootings? What about Christchurch? Do we want to put those in video games because they exist in the real world?

Quote

My reaction is not that the developers should censor themselves or someone else should censor them.

--------

Sometimes you have to judge something on just what your eyes tell you. And my vote is that this single-player campaign should not ship with these scenes.

He only brings up the juxtaposition of the SP and MP twice in two paragraphs, so it doesnt seem like you read much of the article. 

 

He's outright playing the "video games lead to mass shootings" card

Edited by Static

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jason

"But this puts us on a slippery slope toward a lot of things. What about school shootings? What about Christchurch? Do we want to put those in video games because they exist in the real world?"

 

This guy should be entering the Olympic Long Jump event next year with leaps like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MidworldDrifter

I don't get the impression that he is blaming school shootings on video games. He says himself he enjoys violent video games:

Quote

I would like a Call of Duty game that makes me think hard, feels intense, and is fun to play. And I usually shrug off criticism from people who say these games are too violent.

I think his main problem is that the violence depicted is too realistic and that some people may come away from the game thinking it was "cool" or "badass" when that is the opposite of why the developers chose to include graphic scenes.

Quote

I think of the anti-war movie Apocalypse Now, which had the memorable Ride of the Valkyries scene, where a mad colonel orders an attack on a Vietnamese village so that his guys can surf. I was an excellent commentary on the insanity of war. But it was executed so well as a combat scene that, in my opinion, it probably inspired a lot of young people to enlist in the military. Art can often have unintentional effects.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Static
Posted (edited)

 

On 6/1/2019 at 12:16 AM, MidworldDrifter said:

I think his main problem is that the violence depicted is too realistic and that some people may come away from the game thinking it was "cool" or "badass" when that is the opposite of why the developers chose to include graphic scenes.

Really, because he's it seems like he's ok with realistic violence, but only in the settings he likes. Also, did GoT have aliens?
 

 


giphy.gif

 

Totally ok thought cause its GoT.
 

Edited by Static

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ThatKyloRenGuy

I’m actually pretty excited for this game! :) In my honest opinion, the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare series, the COD games about WWII, and to a lesser extent, the first Black Ops and AW (aka the only good futuristic COD game) are about the only Call of Duty games that are even worth playing. The subsequent Black Ops games (which have been milked to the death), Ghosts, and Infinite Warfare are just total garbage imho. All I’m hoping for is this game to bring the franchise back on its feet, much like Call of Duty: WWII did, only they went back down in their hole with Black Ops 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Billy Russo
3 hours ago, ThatKyloRenGuy said:

I’m actually pretty excited for this game! :) In my honest opinion, the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare series, the COD games about WWII, and to a lesser extent, the first Black Ops and AW (aka the only good futuristic COD game) are about the only Call of Duty games that are even worth playing. The subsequent Black Ops games (which have been milked to the death), Ghosts, and Infinite Warfare are just total garbage imho. All I’m hoping for is this game to bring the franchise back on its feet, much like Call of Duty: WWII did, only they went back down in their hole with Black Ops 4.

I've seen a lot of people excited about this game that haven't played Call of Duty since like 2011. A lot of people were literally just MW fans. I literally never see my friends talking about it anymore, but they were talking about the new Modern Warfare trailer. I can see why they decided to reboot this series. It will bring a lot of old players back, and it's basically one of the only sub-series of COD that hasn't been 'tainted' yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DarksunDaFirst
Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2019 at 10:56 AM, Billy Russo said:

I hate when games do this. The first one was called Modern Warfare. 😂

 

Although, I do like the idea of a reboot rather than them trying to continue the story.

Actually the first one was called:
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

back then we didn't need to say "Modern Warfare"  you just said COD4 and everybody already knew you were talking about modern warfare.  

It's when they said: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 did they drop the chronology in the CoD title.

Edited by DarksunDaFirst

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arrows to Athens

From the gameplay I've seen so far, it looks pretty decent. It definitely looks vastly different to any COD we've seen so far. It sort of looks like Battlefield, Rainbow 6 Siege, and COD combined together. The physics and movements are more realistic, and the graphics are spectacular.

 

I'm looking forward to more gameplay soon.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Billy Russo
17 hours ago, Arrows to Athens said:

From the gameplay I've seen so far, it looks pretty decent. It definitely looks vastly different to any COD we've seen so far. It sort of looks like Battlefield, Rainbow 6 Siege, and COD combined together. The physics and movements are more realistic, and the graphics are spectacular.

 

I'm looking forward to more gameplay soon.

 

 

Gameplay looks promising. It finally seems like a 'new' Call of Duty. They are not using the same old engine, and it shows. The mechanics look really different for COD, it has elements of Rainbow Six mixed in. I love the way the weapons seem to handle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • 2 Users Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 2 Guests

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.