4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Fold for GTAForums!

mike39

No, you guys aren't getting it, lol.

You guys wouldn't be your own *separate* team, you would be folding under team 32093 - with your name as "The Precinct" or whichever gang you were.  You wouldn't be able to track your own personal stats, but everything would still work out the same. You would just end up with like 40 processors folding for one name.

No, I think Knightmare and I get the idea, but like I was saying, with every gang member under one name like [The Precinct[/b], Diablos, etc., we have no way of knowing how many each gang has participating.  But I suppose it wouldn't matter though.  Hopefully gangs would be competitive and then all that really counts is the "total number of processors active in a week" stat at the top of the team page.  I think I'll go discuss it with the Precinct and see if I can get any kind of feedback from those wankers wonderful people.

No, you guys aren't getting it, lol.

You guys wouldn't be your own *separate* team, you would be folding under team 32093 - with your name as "The Precinct" or whichever gang you were.  You wouldn't be able to track your own personal stats, but everything would still work out the same. You would just end up with like 40 processors folding for one name.

No, I think Knightmare and I get the idea, but like I was saying, with every gang member under one name like [The Precinct[/b], Diablos, etc., we have no way of knowing how many each gang has participating.  But I suppose it wouldn't matter though.  Hopefully gangs would be competitive and then all that really counts is the "total number of processors active in a week" stat at the top of the team page.  I think I'll go discuss it with the Precinct and see if I can get any kind of feedback from those wankers wonderful people.

Well, there *is* an "Active Processors This Week:" count at the top of each member's page.  You would be able to tell that way, assuming that everyone only had 1 processor folding.  Anywho, that would be a good way of keeping track, and the total point value would also be a good indication of, um, who's winning.  We could have prizes and things too.  Fun.

Well, there *is* an "Active Processors This Week:" count at the top of each member's page.  You would be able to tell that way, assuming that everyone only had 1 processor folding.  Anywho, that would be a good way of keeping track, and the total point value would also be a good indication of, um, who's winning.  We could have prizes and things too.  Fun.

Alright, thanks for pointing that out.  I didn't notice the "active processors" count for each name untill you mentioned that.

The question is though, how to get the gangs interested in this.  I'd go bring it up in public gang chat, but I'm betting they'll just ignore whatever I say (that's what the Precinct did a week ago).  However, if they hear it from Tank, I'm sure it'd go much better.  Also, Tank mentioned in the thread he started that he might make a [email protected] forum.  I hope so, this way things will be more "established" and peeps will take it more seriously.  Yeah, I really want this thing to take off.  The idea of a bunch of GTA fans establishing an [email protected] team, hopefully one day in the top 100 ranks, still seems very surreal to me.

I signed up and have it running, it does seem to work rather slowly though, don't you agree? I've had it on for an hour now and only have a few % done.

I just think everyone should run it. Forming different groups for each gang isn't necessary, and having a giant GTAForums team would be even better than several smaller ones.

Is there any way to tell who on your team is connected or anything like that? Can I speed it up at all?

I signed up and have it running, it does seem to work rather slowly though, don't you agree? I've had it on for an hour now and only have a few % done.

I just think everyone should run it. Forming different groups for each gang isn't necessary, and having a giant GTAForums team would be even better than several smaller ones.

Is there any way to tell who on your team is connected or anything like that? Can I speed it up at all?

Yeah, it does work slowly, that's why we need as many members as possible so we can move up in the ranks.  Some Work Units that have like 1250 frames can take several days, but they're worth a lot of points.

As for the gang idea, it sounds good on paper, but I just don't see it happening right away.  There wouldn't be smaller individual teams, but small sub-teams under the GTAForums team.  But there is no way of knowing who is on each gang's team while under the main GTAForums team, unfortunately.  You can only tell how many active procesors each gang would have though.

As for speeding it up, you can set the CPU usage to 100% (which it should be by default) and you can open task manager (ctrl+alt+del) and end any uneccessary processes.

Thanks for helping out 40oz.  :)

No prob. Yeah I've got one of those 1250-sized WUs going right now, and it's done 4/1250...so 0%....damn it makes me feel so.......slow.

It says it's running, but It really isn't. It isn't in my icon tray, and me stats aren't moving. Any suggestions?

PS-USername= GTAForums

It says it's running, but It really isn't. It isn't in my icon tray, and me stats aren't moving. Any suggestions?

PS-USername= GTAForums

Mine did something similar too.  It was in the icon tray but it was stuck on 252/400 for like an hour.  I just rebooted my pc and now it says 266/400, so I guess the counter froze or something.  I also have Electron Microscope III (see a few pages back for info) installed and it reported 266/400 before I rebooted, so I don't think there's anything wrong.  Just try rebooting.

40oz : a pentium 333 will do that to you.

Also, I WOULD sign up, but i'm currently in the remaking of my PC and i dont know what would happen if i started folding, formatted, and continued... What would happen to the blocks i had only PARTIALLY done?  Did you know the cure for cancer may be deleted from someones pc because they just decided to stop folding?

I've always worried about that, that SETI @ Home has already found aliens but someone changed their screensaver.

I have better than a Pentium 333 lol.

Seriously though, I don't know that anything is happening. This client is so simple that it's frustrating. I want to be able to tell if anything is being done at all, because I've been on 0% since I turned my PC on earlier tonight...and I'm getting pissed.

Are you the administrator of your computer?  I was at work, and the PC there is on a network that I have to sign in for, and I tried installing it and it had installed, but nothing was happening even though it said it was working...even after putting it at 100% for hours, so it may be a problem like that.

BTW, I finally got one WU done and I'm on our team list! *does a dance*  I don't get it though, I have a lower score than the people who have also got one WU done...  :/

Mine isn't moving...I don't even think it's working. Been on 0 for 2 hours now.

Hmm, how do you have your connections configured?  I have mine set to use Internet Explorer connection settings.  It could be that your firewall is not letting the program download the WU.

Here's the FAQ:

http://folding.stanford.edu/faq.html

Also, you can download an add-on program called Electron Microscope III from this page:  http://home.attbi.com/~wxdude1/emsite/  This program will let you monitor the progress of the WU in more detail than the [email protected] program itself.  Here's a screenshot of EMIII

EMIII.JPG

@ T2K2 - If you don't complete a WU, then that WU is just re-assigned to someone else.  It won't mess anything up.

@ Knightmare - Yeah, not all Work Units are worth the same amount.  In fact, you might see some people with one WU and 73 points.  The wierd thing is, we have no control over the size of the WU we get, they're just randomly distributed I think.

Yeah I have no idea why it's not working, I've been on 6/1250 forever now and I'm getting pissed. Either it needs to work or I'm tossing it. I could do a lot, because my PC is always connected...too bad.

I'm the administrator, yes, and I've never had problems with anything else before. It was the same way when I downloaded the text-only DOS console instead of the graphical one. *sigh*

I've got two comps, so I'm gonna download it and leave it running on both overnight. My dad had cancer three years, all though it was cured with the brute-force method of cutting it out, so I'm sure he'll let me.

Yeah I have no idea why it's not working, I've been on 6/1250 forever now and I'm getting pissed. Either it needs to work or I'm tossing it. I could do a lot, because my PC is always connected...too bad.

I'm the administrator, yes, and I've never had problems with anything else before. It was the same way when I downloaded the text-only DOS console instead of the graphical one. *sigh*

Hmm, maybe you have another process running that is hogging a lot of CPU time and you don't know it.  Open task manager (ctrl+alt+delete) and click on processes.  You should see something similar to this:

taskmangr.JPG

Notice how the FAH core is at 99 under CPU and the rest are 00?  Scroll through your processes and see if there are any that are higher than 00 (besides the FAH core obviously).  If there are any, then find out what the process(es) is(are) and end them if you can.

40oz : a pentium 333 will do that to you.

Also, I WOULD sign up, but i'm currently in the remaking of my PC and i dont know what would happen if i started folding, formatted, and continued... What would happen to the blocks i had only PARTIALLY done?  Did you know the cure for cancer may be deleted from someones pc because they just decided to stop folding?

I've always worried about that, that SETI @ Home has already found aliens but someone changed their screensaver.

The WUs have a due date. Here's the info for my current unit:

Name: p670_TZ2_NAT_EXP

Download time: April 26 12:38:45

Due time: May 26 12:38:45

Progress: 82%  [||||||||__]

See the due time? If it isn't done before then, the [email protected] server will send someone else the packet.

I downloaded the thing a while ago and have been waiting for it to start, its at like 70% then I leave it on during the night, I come back the next day and it has restarted! Grrrr

I downloaded the thing a while ago and have been waiting for it to start, its at like 70% then I leave it on during the night, I come back the next day and it has restarted! Grrrr

Are you sure it didn't just start a new Work Unit?  It may also have been a faulty work unit too, those happens sometimes.  What username are you using?

Frank Castiglione

I suggest everyone look at Xcomm's idea for the webpage that would convert member names on the GTA Folding Team into forum ranking stats

Here and

Here

I have a question. I have 2 computers folding under the same name (Pilate). Now I was hoping that runing the same name would make both computers work on the same WU but it's not like that. One is running a */400 and the other a */1250. So what I'm asking is, is there any way to get both computer on the same WU? Note: the 2 computers are networked together.

I have a question. I have 2 computers folding under the same name (Pilate). Now I was hoping that runing the same name would make both computers work on the same WU but it's not like that. One is running a */400 and the other a */1250. So what I'm asking is, is there any way to get both computer on the same WU? Note: the 2 computers are networked together.

You can only have one WU per processor at a time, so no, you can't divide a WU up between two processors.  Really though, you'd get the same amount of work done anyways, but the one advantage would be getting one WU done quicker incase you don't leave your pc's running most the time or 24/7.

Here's some interesting info:

I found out that there are two different protien cores

1) Tinker core - this one takes longer to fold, but worth more

2) Gromacs core - this one takes less time to fold, but worth less

I was skimming through the folding forum over at www.rage3d.com and there is a way to get Gromac core WUs instead of the more time consuming Tinker core.  Getting Gromac cores specifically will greatly help out those with slower processors e.g. <1 Ghz.  I'm not really certain on how to do this just yet, but I'll definately have an answer in a while.

@ Frank C - Yeah, thanks for pointing that out.  I'm thinking of asking around on some tech forums that I go to and see if anyone wants to do it or can give one of our own "programming oriented" members a few tips.  I'm sure it can be done, but I'm a total n00b when it comes to web programming.

wtf, last night i was still working on my first work unit, it had done about 100/331 frames, i boot up this morning and now its starting a new unit? It could never have finished the last one in that time and it hasnt incremented my stats  :/

must have been faulty.

wtf, last night i was still working on my first work unit, it had done about 100/331 frames, i boot up this morning and now its starting a new unit? It could never have finished the last one in that time and it hasnt incremented my stats  :/

must have been faulty.

Check the log file in your [email protected] folder. It'll tell you whether it was a faulty unit, or if it finished successfully.

BTW, 98% done this WU.

Frank Castiglione

Alright everybody, One Careful Owner did it.

Here is a gang rankings page based on all the GTA Forums folder users.

O_C_O's Gang Rankings

Hopefully this will quickly catch on as a way to rank all the gangs.