2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

Fold for GTAForums!

mike39

I put it back on to running at startup and only turning it off when I'm gaming, so I'm getting a lot more done for the team. icon14.gif

I know, I can't seem to catch you wink.gif

are you running a GPU client--

Hehe, yeah I am on my HD4870, and I'm getting about 1000-1500PPD, depending how long I keep my PC on. I'm thinking about setting up the SMP client aswell and running them parallel.

user posted image

user posted image

Mainland Marauder
I'd like to use the PS3 or GPU clients but I don't have a PS3 and my graphics card isn't quite up to specs. So I poke along with the CPU client. That said, I've been slacking lately.  tounge.gif Need to remember to turn on the client when I go to sleep.

You can't run it whenever your PC is on??

It depends on what I'm doing. Sometimes it lags me or it slows to a standstill. I'm not working with a particularly fast CPU - this laptop's processor is only 1.5 gig. When I get the desktop back online I want to install the client on there too.

"You tell me exactly what you want, and I'll explain to you very carefully why it cannot be."

I've got a 5 year old 3GHz Pentium 4 in my equally as old PC in my home office, not sure if it's too good for it to be running a demanding program on it for hours at a time, for fear of it sh*tting itself. Though, this may be the excuse I need to go get an at least half decent all-around PC. (Damn 504MB of RAM)

manofpeace hurriedly goes and stresses the sh*t out of his PC

Mainland Marauder
I've got a 5 year old 3GHz Pentium 4 in my equally as old PC in my home office, not sure if it's too good for it to be running a demanding program on it for hours at a time, for fear of it sh*tting itself. Though, this may be the excuse I need to go get an at least half decent all-around PC. (Damn 504MB of RAM)

manofpeace hurriedly goes and stresses the sh*t out of his PC

My laptop isn't a whole lot better and it works. Slowly, but it works all the same. I've been chewing through this one project for two days wow.gif

Now that I've done some cleanup on the system it doesn't seem to affect its performance that much, although I do usually turn it off if I'm playing a game or something like that.

"You tell me exactly what you want, and I'll explain to you very carefully why it cannot be."

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the program cranking on my PS3 now, I tried to get it to work on my PC but ended up cracking the sh*ts and deleting it, my PC sucked. I can't beleive I didn't activate it sooner, I could've completed hundreds of WU's already confused.gif

I assume it's ok to use the folding link thing in my sig?

I will add the number to my PS3 and leave it on for a work day or so smile.gif

Every little bit helps... a PS3 will knock out a Work unit in about 6.5 hours. Realize PS3 ones have a higher priority have a shorter "expiration" meaning you need to finish any you start within a day or so-- PC ones can be spread out over a month.

For PS3 you can configure it to shut down after it completes the current unit it is working on (if you don't want to leave it on, as it will start another unit after it finishes the current one)

7744.png

"I want to design a video game where you take care of all the people shot in all the

other video games.... It's called Busy Hospital II" -- Demetri Martin

RIP BDP

@Kaori you can expect some pretty hefty WU's on your PS3, I just had one that took almost 40 hours to complete, the next one was esimated to take almost 20 hours. It's kind of annoying though, given the jobs are so big means I don't really have a chance to shut my PS3 off to give it a rest. If I do it's likely they won't finish calculating before they expire.

PetsOvernight

The super big PS3 WUs have more time to finish. I think I read if you can keep your PS3 on for about 8 hours a day, you don't risk expiring WUs. Man, I keep my PS3 going about 18 hours a day. And mix in some gaming in there. Probably about 15 hours of folding/day for me. wow.gif

The super big PS3 WUs have more time to finish. I think I read if you can keep your PS3 on for about 8 hours a day, you don't risk expiring WUs. Man, I keep my PS3 going about 18 hours a day. And mix in some gaming in there. Probably about 15 hours of folding/day for me. wow.gif

Yeah man, you boys in the top bracket are smashing the WU's out, I've noticed Xcom hasen't folded for a while, has he given up or something?

I've got my duo core laptop and PS3 running at the moment. Should I try the speacial version that runs a seperate fold on each core? It's only a AMD Turion X2 Dual-core movile RM-70, 2.00 GHz.

By the end of this month I should have another laptop of similiar power doing WU's, plus a 4 year old PC. I'm gunning for you pets sly.gif

PetsOvernight

Haha, yeah well it won't be very difficult to take me over, points-per-day, anyways. I only run this on the PS3, as my poopy computer wouldn't really do much, and I run other computing projects on it, such as [email protected], and [email protected]

I really want to get a beastly computer this summer or so, or at least definitely a pretty good laptop, so I may fold on those when it happens. tounge.gif

For such a big forum though, we still don't have close to as much active folders as we should have/need... We need to big guys back, like jallar. Dude would average like over 6,000+ PPD, if I remember correctly...

[Also, thanks for the awesome award!! colgate.gif]

Congrats Pets, keep it up icon14.gif

Jelly what do you mean by sluggishness? I keep my laptop on 24/7, folding is running nonstop the whole time, it dosen't seem to make any difference to performance. I can be running several CPU heavy programs without lag. I was always under the impression folding took a backseat to every other program on your PC. Then again, judging by how many WU's you've done you probably have a much higher power PC.

Edited by asimov

The CPU client is much more mature than the GPU client so it probably doesn't do anything adverse.

The GPU client made basic things like scrolling get a choppy, slow action and certain applications would freeze entirely for almost a minute for no reason at all. My MIRC with a special script/skin would freeze if I minimized it with channel windows open, but not if the windows were minimized. Exit the GPU client.. Works fine.

I don't know if it's the ineptitude of Stanford or NVIDIA or both but when I used it it was quite raggedy.

I've downloaded the client and is now working, I have also joined the GTAF Team.

Is there a way for FAH to use more of my CPU without raising its respective priority? It doesn't seem to be using a lot of it; or, more

specifically, as much as I had previously thought it would have.

Edited by elanman

If you right click the client, select "configure" and then click the advanced tab, there should be a little scale that lets you choose what percentage of the free CPU power you want. Just above that is a choice of what priority the client gets. From what I've read it's the most stable when it runs at about 98%.

Mainland Marauder

[Also, thanks for the awesome award!! colgate.gif]

colgate.gificon14.gif

I do check the team stats from time to time (checking my progress as well as others) so get to folding and something good could come your way wink.gif

I don't fold for GTAForums, I fold for Overclock.net. (The team currently second in 24 hour avg Output.)

I get around.. 5000-8000PPD, Depending on what WUs I get, I'm only folding on a dual Core and 9600GT too, can't wait to get my Celeron + HD4830 folding!

90FHTZo.png

PetsOvernight
I don't fold for GTAForums, I fold for Overclock.net. (The team currently second in 24 hour avg Output.)

I get around.. 5000-8000PPD, Depending on what WUs I get, I'm only folding on a dual Core and 9600GT too, can't wait to get my Celeron + HD4830 folding!

PFFFFFFT!

How dare you come in here and spew such heresy!!!! AHHHH!!! cry.gif

Should be ashamed of yourself...

ph34r.gif

Is there a way to shutdown all other programs on my computer and just leave folding running? By this I mean everything, possibly even the graphical windows client too, so 99.9% of my resources can be devoted to folding when I'm not using my comp. I'm running 32bit vista on a budget laptop right now so it sucks up a fair bit of my processing power.

It's been pretty strange lately, I've been getting WU's that give a completion number out of 1500, or 500. the 1500 ones seem to finish twice as fast as the 1500 ones, what does this number actually mean?

Edited by asimov

Hello, guys! I am back into folding. And now I am running both the CPU and the GPU clients. Does give an effect on the system tounge.gif. Scrolling in Firefox is a bit choppy.

I did try to run [email protected] on a IBM ThinkPad T22 with a PIII. Needless to say, it didn't go very well. First off, the screen is physically damaged, so I couldn't see much. But that didn't stop me. Got it running. Got a Work Unit. I didn't expect good results, but the due date blew my mind. June 3rd. But what can you expect, right?

Another thing I'd like to see is a Core i7 and two GTX 295s running CPU and GPU clients. It'd be amazing.

We will be the arms that lift you up oqKntbC.gifWe will be the hand that strike you down

Hello, guys! I am back into folding. And now I am running both the CPU and the GPU clients. Does give an effect on the system tounge.gif. Scrolling in Firefox is a bit choppy.

XP or Vista?

If you're running XP or Vista without Aero on, get RivaTuner and overclock the 2D speeds to the same clock as the 3D speeds, it should fix it.

The reason it downclocks in 2D mode is to save power, but it makes folding choppy/slow.

90FHTZo.png

XP. Not sure about the overclocking, though. Doesn't it break the warranty confused.gif? The shop where my PC was assembled put a sticker saying that the warranty lasts 'til April 3rd, 2011 (lol, birthday yesterday). I am pretty sure that if I break the warranty on one component, it does the same with the PC. I don't know their policies, though.

If not, I could do that, but would it increase the temperature much? Or make it unstable?

Also, is it normal, that the WU that has been given to my CPU client has due date June 6th? It has 1500 things to work on (you know what I mean tounge.gif)

We will be the arms that lift you up oqKntbC.gifWe will be the hand that strike you down

Yeah, that due date is normal.

And it won't really break the warranty unless you tell them you did it, all you're doing is making it stay at full speed instead of clocking itself down when you're not in 3D mode, it won't make it make more heat than say, playing a game.

I'm not saying take it to the limits, just put the 2D Speeds at the 3D speeds, which are the speeds its at when you play a game/do 3D stuff anyway.

90FHTZo.png

Uhh... I found what I needed... but I don't know how to correctly overclock it. There's standard 2D, low power 3D and performance 3D. What do I select, what do I do? And should I really overclock it at all? Will I see performance changes? Will it affect folding (for the good, of course)? I've never overclocked, so I don't know what and how.

Uhh... I found what I needed... but I don't know how to correctly overclock it. There's standard 2D, low power 3D and performance 3D. What do I select, what do I do? And should I really overclock it at all? Will I see performance changes? Will it affect folding (for the good, of course)? I've never overclocked, so I don't know what and how.

I'm not an expert on overclocking, but if you do overclock your system it will increase speed > folding abilities. By how much I can't say, I do know that folding is fastest on a GPU -the graphics card- so try overclocking that first.

Edit - Did anyone think to save the [email protected] sig?

Edited by asimov

PetsOvernight

Yeah it seems that sig's gone. Whoever made it must have it backed up... I hope. confused.gif

Haha, my dad has cracked the sh*ts about my folding. He is one of those paranoid types, ever since we got wireless he has been adament other people have been stealing our internet, which they havent. We've only got 6GB of downloads a month and he wonders why we blow it all the time dozingoff.gif

Anyway, when he found out folding happens automatically and our computers are being used as "slaves" he cracked it and demanded they be disconnected, no matter how much reason and logic I threw back at him. Needless to say I'll be stealth folding at night only from now on.