3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Hetraet

Poker is region locked

Hetraet

Another thing I don't understand: why is poker in rdo disabled in my country but poker in rdr 1 multiplayer in my country was never hit by these regulations or whatever

1 minute ago, Smokewood said:

That bill is about making loot boxes illegal, how exactly would that apply here.

You are just butthurt, understandably, but there's really isn't anything wrong with what they did.

Call microsoft or sony and have at it.... 

I'm very butthurt, but you should give it a read, it's not only about loot boxes, it's about behavior of the companies strategies that inhibits game progression by pushing people to compulsively buy mtx that help them in game progression which is the exact strategy T2 and R* are doing. If it passes all this sh*t will have legal consequences for them

El Diablo 702
10 minutes ago, Hetraet said:

Another thing I don't understand: why is poker in rdo disabled in my country but poker in rdr 1 multiplayer in my country was never hit by these regulations or whatever

Might be something with the game having an in game economy. If you played gtao were you able to bet on the racing? It’s basically the same thing. 

Hetraet
Just now, El Diablo 702 said:

Might be something with the game having an in game economy. If you played gtao were you able to bet on the racing? It’s basically the same thing. 

Yes I was able to bet on racing...the regulations are still the same Czech rep is a pretty open minded country considering net neutrality. I just think R* went apesh*t on poker in rdo for some reason being unsure of how european countries would react like to this. And If betting in gta online is available even though it's through purchasable money why can't I gamble with non-purchasable money in rdo, doesn't make any sense rather than R* targeting wrong countries

El Diablo 702
Posted (edited)

I have no idea then unless some law/regulations have changed. 

Hopefully R* gives an answer. 

Edited by El Diablo 702

Hetraet
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, El Diablo 702 said:

I have no idea then unless some law/regulations have changed. 

We wouldn't have betting in gtao neither if something changed, it's probably just R* being overly careful, they don't want any scandal surrounding this I guess but atleast target the right fecking countries

Edited by Hetraet

Van_Hellsing
Posted (edited)

Gambling in any shape or form is illegal in Thailand. Except for the National Lottery and some sanctioned horse race tracks. Even gta is banned since some teenager stabbed a taxi driver to death to hijack his car. Kiddo couldn't even drive. 

Edited by Van_Hellsing

Smokewood
29 minutes ago, Hetraet said:

I'm very butthurt, but you should give it a read, it's not only about loot boxes, it's about behavior of the companies strategies that inhibits game progression by pushing people to compulsively buy mtx that help them in game progression which is the exact strategy T2 and R* are doing. If it passes all this sh*t will have legal consequences for them

Yes, and neither of those apply to RDR2 or RDO.

I don't like shark cards either, but they are not pay to win because :

• There is no winning or losing in GTA
  • You can buy everything in game with in game cash you earn over time

Look I get it, but I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. I'm sure you will get dominoes and what have you.

Online poker is a grey area in many places...

Between3and22char
Posted (edited)

part of official response from Rockstar:

"Thank you for contacting Rockstar Support. I apologize to hear that you are unable to play Poker or access the new Story missions for Red Dead Online. I do have some troubleshooting you can try however I will inform you that unfortunately, some features in Red Dead Online such as Poker may not be available for all players. Please refer to the below article for further details on this: https://support.rockstargames.com/articles/360023069493"

So, it appears we are screwed, is either region locked or NAT type related, I asked them to tell me which one it is, waiting again.

Edited by Between3and22char

Hetraet
Just now, Smokewood said:

Yes, and neither of those apply to RDR2 or RDO.

I don't like shark cards either, but they are not pay to win because :

• There is no winning or losing in GTA
  • You can buy everything in game with in game cash you earn over time

Look I get it, but I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. I'm sure you will get dominoes and what have you.

nope you got it wrong, candy crush saga for example also uses this business model by speeding up progression if you buy a certain pack or in game currency which is actually named GOLD BARS. If gold bars were only for cosmetics then it would be perfectly fine but you can use them to help you through your progression by buying guns you need to make a challenge for example, or buying a horse to win at races, or buying explosive buckshot pamphlet to win at showdowns, it's pay 2 win actually if you think about it, you can grind your ass off or you can buy these conveniently implemented mtx to bypass the grind. That's exactly what this bill is about, they even used candy crush saga as an example and it's actually incredibly similar to the monetization system of rdo and gtao

Smokewood
Just now, Hetraet said:

nope you got it wrong, candy crush saga for example also uses this business model by speeding up progression if you buy a certain pack or in game currency which is actually named GOLD BARS. If gold bars were only for cosmetics then it would be perfectly fine but you can use them to help you through your progression by buying guns you need to make a challenge for example, or buying a horse to win at races, or buying explosive buckshot pamphlet to win at showdowns, it's pay 2 win actually if you think about it, you can grind your ass off or you can buy these conveniently implemented mtx to bypass the grind. That's exactly what this bill is about, they even used candy crush saga as an example and it's actually incredibly similar to the monetization system of rdo and gtao

All those things can be bought with cash too, though, They also don't help you get ahead in the game because there is no end to the game.
Also, that law is focused on games aimed at kids... RDR2 is rated M not T or E 

https://www.esrb.org/ratings/Synopsis.aspx?Certificate=35888&Title=Red+Dead+Redemption+2

I think games like NBA 2K19 have more to worry about than GTAO or RDO

Hetraet
7 minutes ago, Smokewood said:

Not in my country though, we even have apps in store for poker gambling with even purchasable chips (GOP3) 

Look I know I live in some god forgotten sh*thole but that doesn't take my right to play poker online.

Smokewood
Just now, Hetraet said:

Not in my country though, we even have apps in store for poker gambling with even purchasable chips (GOP3) 

Look I know I live in some god forgotten sh*thole but that doesn't take my right to play poker online.

Does Zynga (play money poker) or pokerstars play money poker work in your area?

If so, email R* and tell them that play money poker is okay and see where it goes....

Hetraet

Also, that law is focused on games aimed at kids... RDR2 is rated M not T or E 

And also at games of which developers knowingly exploit children for money - GTAO - do you think R* doesn't know their playerbase is mainly out of 13 year olds? They could bypass this regulation by getting the adult rating, which would make the game harder to obtain for kids but R* knows they're monetizing stuff for kids

Smokewood
Just now, Hetraet said:

And also at games of which developers knowingly exploit children for money - GTAO - do you think R* doesn't know their playerbase is mainly out of 13 year olds? They could bypass this regulation by getting the adult rating, which would make the game harder to obtain for kids but R* knows they're monetizing stuff for kids

Average age of a GTAO player is probably 35

Hetraet

Does Zynga (play money poker) or pokerstars play money poker work in your area?

If so, email R* and tell them that play money poker is okay and see where it goes....

yep those both are in the store, I even get ads for these sometimes lol

Smokewood
1 minute ago, Hetraet said:

yep those both are in the store, I even get ads for these sometimes lol

This is your best bet I would say.

Hetraet

Average age of a GTAO player is probably 35

there's no information on that, the main thing that I think we both can agree on is that R* knowingly monetizes stuff that inhibits game progression for kids (doesnt have to be just progression, in the bill it states that even things that give player advantage over another player)

This is your best bet I would say.

But knowing how R* is with implementing and fixing stuff I dont even wanna try anymore. Either they fix it soon or I'm out

methcraft
2 hours ago, Hetraet said:

Can't wait to get out of this sh*thole.

Do you really not know how lucky you are to live in the Czech Republic? I guess the grass is always greener...

Anyway, the poker is boring and slow. You're really not missing out on anything. But sure, a disclaimer would've been appropriate.

Smokewood
3 minutes ago, Hetraet said:

But knowing how R* is with implementing and fixing stuff I dont even wanna try anymore. Either they fix it soon or I'm out

That's a terrible attitude.

You have spent at least an hour or two complaining on a 3rd party site.

Use 1/2 that energy and focus on R*.

Point out that they are mistaken and that play money poker online in your area is in fact allowed and show them Zynga up and running.

Hetraet

That's a terrible attitude.

You have spent at least an hour or two complaining on a 3rd party site.

Use 1/2 that energy and focus on R*.

Point out that they are mistaken and that play money poker online in your area is in fact allowed and show them Zynga up and running.

You're wrong actually, I've been bitching about this game on gtaforums since december, mainly focused on downgrades and John's hair. The hair is still not fixed so I have really low expectations. Atleast the graphics are fixed but when you basically get 10 gold bars from support manager to f*ck off you have little to no hope left. Imma try once more though, you're right that this is terrible attitude but I can't really help it seeing how R* ignores me and my feedback

Jason

I'm sure Rockstar are just delighted to be restricting features in an online game to certain regions, I'm sure that's something they're high fiving each other in the studio about.

Or maybe they're as miffed about it as the people affected but it's out of their hands. Their communication could be better for sure but lets not pretend they're doing this out of spite or because they want to f*ck over their players.

Smokewood
3 minutes ago, Hetraet said:

You're wrong actually, I've been bitching about this game on gtaforums since december, mainly focused on downgrades and John's hair. The hair is still not fixed so I have really low expectations. Atleast the graphics are fixed but when you basically get 10 gold bars from support manager to f*ck off you have little to no hope left. Imma try once more though, you're right that this is terrible attitude but I can't really help it seeing how R* ignores me and my feedback

I love the game and think it's a masterpiece - even without poker.

The single player game is off the charts ahead of its time.

However, if something as trivial as John's hair has you all worked up, then you are right - just quit the game.

Hetraet
2 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm sure Rockstar are just delighted to be restricting features in an online game to certain regions, I'm sure that's something they're high fiving each other in the studio about.

Or maybe they're as miffed about it as the people affected but it's out of their hands. Their communication could be better for sure but lets not pretend they're doing this out of spite or because they want to f*ck over their players.

Ofc they didn't, but they targeted countries which should not be affected just to be sure their ass is save

Between3and22char

You can forget about poker, you probably didn't read my official reply from R*, because you were arguing with other user. Here it is again:
"I apologize to hear that you are unable to play Poker or access the new Story missions for Red Dead Online. I do have some troubleshooting you can try however I will inform you that unfortunately, some features in Red Dead Online such as Poker may not be available for all players. Please refer to the below article for further details on this: https://support.rockstargames.com/articles/360023069493

"

Hetraet

I love the game and think it's a masterpiece - even without poker.

The single player game is off the charts ahead of its time.

However, if something as trivial as John's hair has you all worked up, then you are right - just quit the game.

Its not trivial for the fans of John Marston...and as we get to play as him I'd like to play as his authentic self, not Arthur Marston with oversized gloves and disco pants, but that's for the petition about that epilogue missing hairstyle thread, you're welcome to ridicule our concern about a protagonist there

1 minute ago, Between3and22char said:

You can forget about poker, you probably didn't read my official reply from R*, because you were arguing with other user. Here it is again:
"I apologize to hear that you are unable to play Poker or access the new Story missions for Red Dead Online. I do have some troubleshooting you can try however I will inform you that unfortunately, some features in Red Dead Online such as Poker may not be available for all players. Please refer to the below article for further details on this: https://support.rockstargames.com/articles/360023069493

"

I read it, got exactly same response from R*, the problem though is that it should be available for me as I'm from a country that doesn't prohibit this content

Clickalot

Holland and I've played this afternoon

Between3and22char
2 minutes ago, Hetraet said:

Its not trivial for the fans of John Marston...and as we get to play as him I'd like to play as his authentic self, not Arthur Marston with oversized gloves and disco pants, but that's for the petition about that epilogue missing hairstyle thread, you're welcome to ridicule our concern about a protagonist there

I read it, got exactly same response from R*, the problem though is that it should be available for me as I'm from a country that doesn't prohibit this content

Calm down a bit, if you can. There is pretty much nothing we can do about it, they are probably trying to avoid any lawsuits. Remember in the case against EA about game gambling the put the children into the scene, making EA look real bad. You can either assume a risk and try to minimize it, but you can't eliminate the probability of happening, or, not taking the risk at all, so it will never happen. 

-LN-
2 hours ago, Hetraet said:

Seems like imma need to figure out VPN... This is such a bummer. Can anyone recommend some VPN app or something? 

Try this one; it's not free but it will bypass the vast majority of restricted content.

Sorry to hear about this, I hope that it gets settled or that the VPN will work!

kenmy13999
3 hours ago, Smokewood said:

RDO is free - nothing to advertise. You paid for story mode and got it.

It's not free if you have to buy one thing to get another thing.. That's marketing bullsh*t and nothing more 

Mad-Monkey_1st
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Smokewood said:

RDO is free - nothing to advertise. You paid for story mode and got it.

Can you please point me to the free download for RDO as ive lost my disc and having done the story mode i dont want to pay for that part again, I just want this free online part your spouting off at 

Thank you

Edited by Mad-Monkey_1st