4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Mad-Monkey_1st

Abusing defenders/offense

Leftover Pizza
16 minutes ago, netnow66 said:

I'll be the first to admit, and I always have, that I get griefed less now (when I play in unglitched lobbies) since the update.

I also thoroughly agree with the poster above who stated "I don't know how many ways there are of abusing it, but I think it's much better than what we had."

But if we were to take the "you either cope with it or not attitude," what do you think would have been changed? My feeling is that we got the changes that we did (including Defensive/Offensive) because gamers complained about what the game was originally. 

So, if you're happy with the level of griefing we have now and the game as is, that's fine. I understand there will be those. There were always those who accepted the various levels of griefing from the beginning and I'm assuming that some who were upset with the beginning level are happy with the new adjusted level. This post is not really for you. 

But if you're not satisfied and you want to put an end to your being griefed period or want to get the anti griefing adjusted even more, I'm suggesting that you send those Defensive/Offensive complaints and videos in to Rockstar and report your grief killings as a bug, at least until Rockstar tells you not to. I was surprised as anyone when I was asked to send the video to Rockstar support.

I assume you've already made your game purchase--what do you have to lose?

I'm also assuming that at some point, Rockstar will either say, based on the number of gamer complaints, "Okay, we've adjusted the griefing level enough" or "Let's give these guys official passive lobbies (so they don't have to glitch unofficial ones). I'm not ready to give in to the bullies/griefers just yet.

To be exact, again, I'm on the same boat as you are to some extend. Of course I'd like to see a more absolute solution for people who want to play with friends only, or solo, but the given solution so far is satisfying enough for now. The few nastier encounters I've had are not much to make a fuss over, really. I'm already happy enough they offer some solution. It's up to the players how to handle it. You'll always have a-holes who abuse it, but most players I encounter respect your setting and move on. That's probably the most positive thing I can think of with Defensive Mode. Time will tell how well this mode works out, though. I'm sure R* will keep tweaking it, so abusers will not have a too easy job. 

Mad-Monkey_1st

Let’s just wait and see what happens in a month or so when everyone gets bored 

-LN-

I've still yet to be griefed since defensive mode debuted; I've been killed only once by another player in a lobby since then and it was when I did not have defensive enabled as I was just finishing a stranger mission. I've ridden into towns full of other players, walked or ridden close around them here and there, and only one intentionally (or so it seemed) collided head on with me the other night and crippled my horse, but I was also out of defensive at the time and they quickly rode away afterwards and didn't fire a shot.

Night before last, I accidentally jumped on to another player's horse, as I was getting tired and didn't realise that it wasn't mine. I was in defensive mode this time though and the player pulled out their gun and aimed it at me, but I just jumped off the horse and quickly took off, lol. Someone also briefly tried to lasso me night before last night as well whilst I was on my horse, but like what happened to the poster above, it didn't do anything; I just decided to ride away and go on about my business.

I wouldn't be playing at all if I were still being griefed and killed at every given moment; defensive mode is actually an essential reason as to why I can now appreciate the game for what it is; so it's still working as intended for me, but yea, its definitely not meant to make you invincible. I've perhaps been lucky thus far, but it's definitely 100% better than the last time I played when the game was in beta.

Leftover Pizza

Been in a session all afternoon, encountered a posse a few times and did a camp defense together with them. We went our own ways afterwards. Later on, I ran into that same group again and finished a gang hideout with them. All went our separate ways again. I hunted for some perfect carcasses and pelts, rode to a totally different area to sell it, ran into the same posse again, now doing an ambush. All went their way afterwards again, nodding and waving this time. The session was full constantly, but these 4 players are the only ones I kept running into. Non other player anywhere near. I thought that was pretty cool and exactly what I hope this game is going to. Nice coop freeroam missions, friendly players and no "Wave! Wave back. BANG!" dead....

Mad-Monkey_1st

Well i did a stranger mission ( a recovery ) didnt need to change from defensive just before i delivered said cart to the sheriff at Valentine I was attacked by a player he shot at me but it didnt kill me I returned fire and killed him starit away (strange thing auto aim came on, Should it ? ) Any way i got screen message strait away that my hostility had rose to medium strait away, I didnt let the timer run out for max payout just went strait in and finished.

As I got on my horse after the cut scene i checked and i could not go to defensive mode it was greyed out and i was medium hostility, But within 5 mins max it changed to low and i selected defense mode.

Strange as this hasnt happened on any other strange mission that you could do in defense mode.

Had some good hunting again today, glad the servers have settled down again.

Edited by Mad-Monkey_1st

Vitalize

I've had a couple issues with being blown up with dynamite while in defensive mode. Apparently that's still insta-kill :/ i just wanna enjoy my whiskey without getting reamed dammit

GenericGTAO

There is absolutely no reason to play in offensive mode.  All it does is leave you exposed, unless you are griefing...if you kill a person while you are in defensive mode....they can press charges on you and it raises your hostility level and you are temporaily unable to enter defensive.  So basically, offensive mode is treated as a penalty.  Even if for instance, some weakling lifts a carcass off your horse,  follows you, basically griefs you by bumping into you. Once you are penalized, I think if you are killed a few times, you are given the ability to go defensive, even if you are fighting back. Which is so dumb, if you fight repeatedly but lose, you are given the ability to go back to defensive.  Somehow this makes sense to R*.  Terrible that defensive can be reentered if you actively are fighting back and getting beaten.

Xtf
20 hours ago, netnow66 said:

I was surprised as anyone when I was asked to send the video to Rockstar support.

They do this first for every ticket now, it's an easy way to get you to go away.  I reported I was missing a saddle and they wanted a video, I asked them how I could provide a video of something that wasn't there and they went back to the old uninstall/reinstall your game.  I'd recommend using the feedback link as r* support are useless and don't actually seem to forward any of the issues to rockstar.

red dead one freeroam online is still broken, probably because they never reported the spawn glitch to rockstar.

netnow66

There is an interesting video on YouTube (Red Dead Online (1.09) - Griefing Players in Defensive Mode...They Pressed Charges!!! - #RDR2 posted by GG RELOADED, Published on May 21, 2019) that shows how useless Defensive mode is for griefers. I would link it here but he's a little loose with his language.

Rockstar needs to take an even deeper look into anti griefing measures because Defensive mode isn't cutting it. If someone left RDO because of griefing, they still don't have a good reason to come back in my opinion. 

Edited by netnow66

Mas u Sees
6 minutes ago, netnow66 said:

There is an interesting video on YouTube (Red Dead Online (1.09) - Griefing Players in Defensive Mode...They Pressed Charges!!! - #RDR2 posted by GG RELOADED, Published on May 21, 2019) that shows how useless Defensive mode is for griefers. I would link it here but he's a little loose with his language.

Rockstar needs to take an even deeper look into anti griefing measures because Defensive mode isn't cutting it. If someone left RDO because of griefing, they still don't have a good reason to come back in my opinion. 

Well defensive Mode isn't the only addition, the Hostility System is too, and if you are actually engaged in Red Dead Online, you won't want to increase your hostility.

Also íf you are in Defensive Mode, and get killed, you can just parley, and the other person can literally do nothing against you.

For me personally this Offensive Defensive Modes, have massively improved the experience, griefing is a lot less common(while it is still possible, it will always be) you get penalized enough for it, and can pretty much opt-out at any time with a parley option.

netnow66
22 minutes ago, Mas u Sees said:

Well defensive Mode isn't the only addition, the Hostility System is too, and if you are actually engaged in Red Dead Online, you won't want to increase your hostility.

Also íf you are in Defensive Mode, and get killed, you can just parley, and the other person can literally do nothing against you.

For me personally this Offensive Defensive Modes, have massively improved the experience, griefing is a lot less common(while it is still possible, it will always be) you get penalized enough for it, and can pretty much opt-out at any time with a parley option.

I'll admit, I do get griefed less. As far as being "actually engaged," I'm going by the person's behavior in the video, He seems engaged alright--engaged in being a griefer.

Mas u Sees
20 minutes ago, netnow66 said:

I'll admit, I do get griefed less. As far as being "actually engaged," I'm going by the person's behavior in the video, He seems engaged alright--engaged in being a griefer.

To be honest he seems a little sociopathic to me, and/or is overplaying for comedic value. The way he griefs players can easily avoid him, and killing a player 1 or 2 times really isn’t satisfying, especially since said person can press Charges against you, parley and pretty much go about their business

Leftover Pizza

Been in game most of the evening and noticed i didn't have Defensive Mode on at all and yet, no faul interactions with any player whatsoever. I think I must have been very lucky, or people just start to lose interest in griefing. Must be honest, my heart skipped a beat when I noticed I was in Offensive Mode. I've come across a few other players, but although the session was full most of the time, I saw perhaps 10 other players max in a 7 hour stint. I've been hunting, trying to defend camps and got into several ambushes and gang hideouts. I love them ambushes and hideouts. Any other player who'd come across could have simply griefed me or kill me with few consequences. No one did. 

Mad-Monkey_1st
2 hours ago, Leftover Pizza said:

Been in game most of the evening and noticed i didn't have Defensive Mode on at all and yet, no faul interactions with any player whatsoever. I think I must have been very lucky, or people just start to lose interest in griefing. Must be honest, my heart skipped a beat when I noticed I was in Offensive Mode. I've come across a few other players, but although the session was full most of the time, I saw perhaps 10 other players max in a 7 hour stint. I've been hunting, trying to defend camps and got into several ambushes and gang hideouts. I love them ambushes and hideouts. Any other player who'd come across could have simply griefed me or kill me with few consequences. No one did. 

Because ther is new stuff to do inc carcass duping, Wait till drip feeds stop and the griefing elent get bored again, then we will see if these new measures hold up 

jamsroob
1 hour ago, Mad-Monkey_1st said:

Because ther is new stuff to do inc carcass duping, Wait till drip feeds stop and the griefing elent get bored again, then we will see if these new measures hold up 

Yeah, they're busy cheating to get some money (because griefing doesn't pay a lot). I hope they get wiped and banned, but in the meantime I'll be doing the stranger missions 

Mad-Monkey_1st

I am starting to see a trend here, I’m mainly defender mode and don’t get bothered much at all now but whenever I need be Offense mode IE some stranger missions I’ve noticed whilst travelling to said mission before players are alerted I’m in offense mode some random blues do take a pop at me a lot more often.

So I’m assuming they maybe try when I’m defended but as they don’t get lock on they move on strait away, Unless it’s a good free aim griefer

Assblaster

The defensive system worked great today for my 14th rank character. Found myself in the middle of three red dots in Valentine, I was mounted and swirling a bit so as to not keep still. This one was so funny riding around me, point blank range, aiming a rifle but unable to get a lock. So he fires and misses, and I shotgun him to death easily (two shots). No bounty, no trouble. He was so pissed he came at me again twice but failed to get me. Killed my horse though dammit, twice. And I have no horse insurance. Oh well, lesson learned.

P.S. I rarely encounter red dot players anymore, and with a town full of peaceable players it feels like a different game now. I love it now. Just wish the stranger missions would work.

Edited by Assblaster

-LN-

Strange thing happened to me last night; I joined my friend's session after I'd previously been in another lobby working on the daily objectives, hunting, etc. He ends up killing himself as I'm standing there having just loaded in; I pick up his dead body and it immediately puts me into a medium hostility state. I didn't kill anyone in the previous session or anything. So, I was taken out of defensive mode and automatically put into offensive mode. It didn't last long; maybe five or so minutes, but still, that's very odd and didn't seem quite right. What exactly are all of the triggers for increasing one's hostility?

Red Lynx 23
25 minutes ago, -LN- said:

Strange thing happened to me last night; I joined my friend's session after I'd previously been in another lobby working on the daily objectives, hunting, etc. He ends up killing himself as I'm standing there having just loaded in; I pick up his dead body and it immediately puts me into a medium hostility state. I didn't kill anyone in the previous session or anything. So, I was taken out of defensive mode and automatically put into offensive mode. It didn't last long; maybe five or so minutes, but still, that's very odd and didn't seem quite right. What exactly are all of the triggers for increasing one's hostility?

I went into Van Horn while in defensive mode, when two other players were there. My intention was to jump off the balcony of the hotel and land on my horse. One of the other players ran full speed into the side of my horse, which put me in medium hostility for at least two minutes. I also fled town because of the already irate Marshals they were fighting.

Mad-Monkey_1st
11 hours ago, -LN- said:

I was riding down the rail tracks in Amberino and got screenshot of me being put into medium hostility and out of defense into offense and I did nothing at all not even holding a gun no players or npc near me any carried onwards and it happened again this my hostility went to high, Took me an hour of hunting to get back to low and defense mode 

Van_Hellsing

I look back to some tryhard in Valentine while in defensive. He is aiming for me but he doesn't get a head shot lined up.

Up to now I did not get shot since the update. If someone did, I would press charges and move on. No more retaliation. I don't have Never Without One or Slippery Basterd active. 

The only thing that worries me is that Rockstar leaves dupers unchecked. Experience from gta is that if a lot of fake money is sloshing around, griefers don't care about bounties anymore.