3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

pizza4life

Never without one not working??

pizza4life

I seem to be getting hit by one shot head shots with the never without one card active.  Did it get nerfed in the update? 

Between3and22char
Posted (edited)

I can tell you this, someone shot me and my hat was gone, didn't die.

Patch notes here:

https://support.rockstargames.com/articles/360022898254/RDR2-Title-Update-1-09-Notes-PS4-Xbox-One

Using the search function, the only mention that I found is this:

"Fixed an issue where some Daily Challenges in Red Dead Online related to player kills would still increment after a headshot blocked by the ‘Never Without One’ Ability Card"

Edited by Between3and22char

Happy Hunter

I've shot people with Never Without One, and it seemed to be working for them. What I did notice though, was that they've added a little sound when the hat's off. A kind of metallic sounds - like a shot hitting metal. Pretty useful so you know right away not to bother shooting them in the head - often I get think I've just missed or something.

Van_Hellsing

AEMhEmx.jpg

AmyStone
7 hours ago, pizza4life said:

I seem to be getting hit by one shot head shots with the never without one card active.  Did it get nerfed in the update? 

What kind of ammo are they using? I think with explosive then that's not going to save you from a one shot kill.

Mad-Monkey_1st
1 minute ago, AmyStone said:

What kind of ammo are they using? I think with explosive then that's not going to save you from a one shot kill.

expolosive is not a guaranteed kill if player is full of minty game and tonicked up an explosive will not one shot kill.

GenericGTAO

I was killed by someone by one shot bow outside of lock on range.  They were using PIB.  I had NWO1.  Not dynamite arrows.

rusbeckia
8 hours ago, pizza4life said:

Did your opponent use double handguns? Cause with paint it black its fairly easy to mark to x‘s on heads in a splitsecond when a player uses nwo. 1st shot hat 2nd shot head!

22 minutes ago, GenericGTAO said:

I was killed by someone by one shot bow outside of lock on range.  They were using PIB.  I had NWO1.  Not dynamite arrows.

Im not 100% sure, but I believe that your hat won‘t save you from an arrow that is coming outside of lock-on range. 

Side-note: you can headshot players using slow and steady with an arrow. - at least it used to be before the update

GenericGTAO
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rusbeckia said:

Im not 100% sure, but I believe that your hat won‘t save you from an arrow that is coming outside of lock-on range. 

Side-note: you can headshot players using slow and steady with an arrow. - at least it used to be before the update

Its very unlikely that this guy was painting my head as I was in slippery.  If PIB, with a normal arrow is a 1 shot kill now, it the most overpowered build in the game.  NWO1 is supposed to reduce body damage before your hat fall off.  I also had lvl3 live to fight another day, in full sprint a single arrow killed me. Also, this 1 shot kill while my hat was on happend multiple times very close...well within bow lock on range.

Edited by GenericGTAO

BadBoy82

I read on Reddit, that NWO will block a Headshot, where your hat is. A "Face Shot" will kill you instantly.

Mad-Monkey_1st

I can confirm "Never without one" does not work if your in defense mode ive been single head shotted several times now

GenericGTAO
31 minutes ago, BadBoy82 said:

I read on Reddit, that NWO will block a Headshot, where your hat is. A "Face Shot" will kill you instantly.

Thats not how it worked in the past.  A head shot always knocked the hat off and did not matter if it was in the face.  I cant say I tested it, but I have never been straight up dropped wearing NWO until yesterday.  It was only with the bow for me. Guns worked the same in all the matches I played.

BadBoy82
11 minutes ago, GenericGTAO said:

Thats not how it worked in the past.  A head shot always knocked the hat off and did not matter if it was in the face.  I cant say I tested it, but I have never been straight up dropped wearing NWO until yesterday.  It was only with the bow for me. Guns worked the same in all the matches I played.

Yes, I know. It was probably changed with the update. Don´t know if this is new or a bug.

GenericGTAO

Yes, guns are getting one shot kills now...and they said head shots will be harder to get.

DarkFlame588
10 hours ago, BadBoy82 said:

Seems like this is the case.

RayD70

Awesome. All that money spent upgrading down the toilet. Worthless perk now.

Wish we could sell cards back.

Fookin Laser Sights

People saying it's a bug in reddit but I don't really believe it. Why did they add a cling sound for hitting the hat if it's a bug? I'm just glad that they're balancing the cards instead of abandoning them. Anyone remember slow and steady before the nerf? That was so balanced. 

Mad-Monkey_1st
1 hour ago, Fookin Laser Sights said:

People saying it's a bug in reddit but I don't really believe it. Why did they add a cling sound for hitting the hat if it's a bug? I'm just glad that they're balancing the cards instead of abandoning them. Anyone remember slow and steady before the nerf? That was so balanced. 

Got be a bug, Why in hell should a defense mode player be one shot dead whilst wearing "Never without one" Hat dont even fly off

, bang once your dead

rusbeckia
17 hours ago, GenericGTAO said:

Its very unlikely that this guy was painting my head as I was in slippery.  If PIB, with a normal arrow is a 1 shot kill now, it the most overpowered build in the game.  NWO1 is supposed to reduce body damage before your hat fall off.  I also had lvl3 live to fight another day, in full sprint a single arrow killed me. Also, this 1 shot kill while my hat was on happend multiple times very close...well within bow lock on range.

Why should slippery matter, if you‘re aiming out of lockon range anyway? It has to be really long-range to get a one-shot. Like really at the max range where you can paint targets. For players with lower levels you don‘t need to be that far away.

NWO isn‘t supposed to reduce body damage. It saves you from one headshot. Nothing else positive on that card. When you lose your hat you‘re MORE vulnerable than usual. Which makes headshotting (and killing) you even easier. 

Thats another reason why NWO sucks imo:

lose your hat and you will die pretty quick.

22 minutes ago, Mad-Monkey_1st said:

Got be a bug, Why in hell should a defense mode player be one shot dead whilst wearing "Never without one" Hat dont even fly off

, bang once your dead

I think they wrote in one of their teaser posts that ability cards have no effect in defense mode? Or did I dream that? Im not sure, might not be true. Didn‘t try yet since I didn‘t even find out how to enable defense mode lol

ALifeOfMisery
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, rusbeckia said:

I think they wrote in one of their teaser posts that ability cards have no effect in defense mode? Or did I dream that? Im not sure, might not be true. Didn‘t try yet since I didn‘t even find out how to enable defense mode lol

I only have limited experience, but ability cards are working for me in defensive mode, TUE, PC, S&S and NWO have all worked in the way I'd expect them to so far.

Definitely not saying that there aren't bugs, just that I don't seem to have been affected by any so far. 

Edited by ALifeOfMisery

rusbeckia
1 minute ago, ALifeOfMisery said:

I only have limited experience, but ability cards are working for me in defensive mode, TUE, PC, S&S and NWO have all worked in the way I'd expect them to so far.

Thx for the clarification. Now I definitely know that I got that wrong somewhere. 

Anyway.. would you mind telling me how to enable defense mode?

ALifeOfMisery
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, rusbeckia said:

Thx for the clarification. Now I definitely know that I got that wrong somewhere. 

Anyway.. would you mind telling me how to enable defense mode?

Left D-pad > online options. You're set to offensive by default, toggle to defensive and back out of the menu, then there's a 30 second countdown before entering defensive mode.

You'll be switched to offensive every time you start the game, change lobby, start a stranger mission etc. So you will need to remember to keep switching back.

As for the ability cards, I've been attacked maybe 5 times at the most in 2 days, so it's very limited "evidence". But, I have had my hat shot off without taking damage and S&S, the couple of times I've used it, seemed to decrease the damage I was taking when compared to not using it. But there are so many variables such as other players ability cards, aim, weapon, how clean their weapon was etc. that I know I can't be certain.

Edited by ALifeOfMisery

rusbeckia
2 minutes ago, ALifeOfMisery said:

Left D-pad > online options. You're set to offensive by default, toggle to defensive and back out of the menu, then there's a 30 second countdown before entering defensive mode.

You'll be switched to offensive every time you start the game, change lobby, start a stranger mission etc. So you will need to remember to keep switching back.

Thx man! Too kind.

AmyStone
20 hours ago, Mad-Monkey_1st said:

expolosive is not a guaranteed kill if player is full of minty game and tonicked up an explosive will not one shot kill.

I didn't say it was but even with that ability card it's still possible to get killed with one shot.

Ghoffman9

It does not really matter if you survive an explosive shot or not, cause even if you do the round still knocks you on your ass, leaving you vulnerable to the opponent who can just finish you off with ease. Its still basically a guaranteed kill. The only thing that varies is whether they die on the first shot or you sometimes might have to put a second round in them while they're helpless on the ground.

GenericGTAO
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, rusbeckia said:

Why should slippery matter, if you‘re aiming out of lockon range anyway? It has to be really long-range to get a one-shot. Like really at the max range where you can paint targets. For players with lower levels you don‘t need to be that far away.

NWO isn‘t supposed to reduce body damage. It saves you from one headshot. Nothing else positive on that card. When you lose your hat you‘re MORE vulnerable than usual. Which makes headshotting (and killing) you even easier. 

Thats another reason why NWO sucks imo:

lose your hat and you will die pretty quick.

NWO1 lvl 3 states...while wearing a hat reduces your damage taken, so yeah...NWO1 reduces damage to the body while wearing a hat.  If you lose the hat, you your damage is increased.  NWO1 is good because it kept the keebler elves from one shotting you in freemode.  Thats over, and its a terrible change.  Cause the now the muppets can get you when you are minding your own business.

Slippery matters because even when I was in lock on range, the bow and arrow guy was most likely unable to paint my head, first because he couldnt simply aim and flick, second even if he was a master free aim, the recticle paints the first spot he hits with it.  On top of the body damage reduced, I have lvl 3 to fight another day which significantly reduces damage while sprinting.  Yet I was dropped by a paint it black arrow with my hat on while sprinting.  Thats a massive change to PIB.

Edited by GenericGTAO

Sam Doe

Encountered a lvl 3xx something and he was using PIB + Ex Arrows.

I could only get kills on him by doing the same thing. Even when I was under tonic he would still get one-shot kill (all T3 cards for me and also NWO)

He was managing distance to sit  the furthest away possible, spamming PIB to tag me. Very effective, not so skillfull 

Mad-Monkey_1st

Seems to me that best way to dispose of a defensive player is Rolling Block from distance (possible explosives as well) has happened to me several tims lately but all seems to have calmed down a bit today

Master Tyrus

Can't believe they didn't nerf PIB it's far too OP, from perfect shotgun accuracy to homing dynamite arrows. Other less powerful cards got one. 

rusbeckia
45 minutes ago, GenericGTAO said:

NWO1 lvl 3 states...while wearing a hat reduces your damage taken, so yeah

I must have overseen that! I always thought it‘s only increasing damage taken after you lose your hat. Nevermind! I used it myself for a while cause of the same reason stated by you, but got annoyed about the need to keep your hat on all the time, thats why I started to live without it. I don‘t miss it much, but it‘s still sad that they nerfed it. Also pretty weird that it doesn‘t seem to work in defense mode. I even think they should only make it accessible in defense mode.