4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
MysteryDriverX

real brands that DO appear in the games somehow

MysteryDriverX

I was wondering how many brands from real life actually appear or are mentioned in the GTA games in some form. I only know a few examples which are how the GTA 2 Head Radio DJ says she has a "Harley" bike, or how according to the gta wikia there's a DVD player in GTA IV that has the Kodak and Windows logos. I think I remember reading somewhere that real life soda brands appear in some GTA on some soda dispenser or a menu (I can't remember), but that the textures are very tiny and blurry.

Are there any other real life brands that appear or are mentioned in the game? I assume that in the case of textures they are just placeholder textures that they forgot to change, but I like it when it's a bit ambiguous to whether real life brands (and cities and other stuff) also "exist" in the GTA world.

Touge Spirit Leader

The entire state of Florida.

Equatecurl

Not a brand but jim jones is mentioned in gta online

silicon valley is too

Ondr4H

What really bugs me sometimes are songs...

They are singing about New York or California when these states doesnt exist in GTA universe. Sometimes also about vehicles or real brands.

This cant be fixed, I know...

perennial

Songs about real life locations are alright, but stuff like "I woke up in a new Bugatti" seem lore-breaking.

DOUGL4S1

Rockstar has billboards advertising themselves in some 3D era games.

LibertyMemorialColiseum-GTA3-southwest.j

MysteryDriverX

@DOUGL4S1

Hah! Good point there, I overlooked that fact.

Also I found it weird that they have a song that names a Bugatti in it. I didn't play GTA V yet so I didn't know, but now that Rockstar is such a huge company and GTA is a part of popular culture I thought they could have got the mucisians to re-record some parts of their lyrics to fit the game's universe. I mean The Sims 2, if I recall correctly, had real artists sing their songs in the Sims language (though it's just gibberish).

billiejoearmstrong8
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Ondr4H said:

They are singing about New York or California when these states doesnt exist in GTA universe. Sometimes also about vehicles or real brands.

They did try a bit with the rap station in IV and EFLC, had some freestyles mentioning Liberty City locations (along with the DJs constantly mentioning them) and included several songs that were written for or changed for the game that had Liberty City references or changed New York references to Liberty City references. Shame it wasn't every song but the gesture was good.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8

MysteryDriverX
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

They did try a bit with the rap station in IV and EFLC, had some freestyles mentioning Liberty City locations (along with the DJs constantly mentioning them) and included several songs that were written for or changed for the game that had Liberty City references or changed New York references to Liberty City references. Shame it wasn't every song but the gesture was good.

Cool! Do you remember the names of some songs that had the lyrics changed? I know there's one called "Vagabond" by Greenskeepers but I think it didn't have the lyrics changed, it was specifically made for GTA IV, and says Liberty City in the end (unless it's "live in this city" misheard).

Edited by MysteryDriverX

billiejoearmstrong8
1 hour ago, MysteryDriverX said:

Cool! Do you remember the names of some songs that had the lyrics changed? I know there's one called "Vagabond" by Greenskeepers but I think it didn't have the lyrics changed, it was specifically made for GTA IV, and says Liberty City in the end (unless it's "live in this city" misheard).

Oh man I thought I knew that some were changed but I'm not sure now. I know a bunch that were made for the game are full of Liberty City references, I'll have to see if I can confirm that any were changed

KingAJ032304
13 hours ago, perennial said:

Songs about real life locations are alright, but stuff like "I woke up in a new Bugatti" seem lore-breaking.

Strange... never actually had a problem with this myself.

perennial
8 hours ago, KingAJ032304 said:

Strange... never actually had a problem with this myself.

Maybe it was just me, but when I heard something like "New York Groove" or "Hollywood Nights" I didn't even think of it (inconsistent, but there is a Florida in the GTA universe after all). But with "Bugatti" I was like it should be an Adder.

Beato_dim
1 hour ago, perennial said:

Maybe it was just me, but when I heard something like "New York Groove" or "Hollywood Nights" I didn't even think of it (inconsistent, but there is a Florida in the GTA universe after all). But with "Bugatti" I was like it should be an Adder.

Don't see why there can't be both Bugatti and Adder in-universe at the same time.

Nintendo Thong Tuna

Real life things appearing in songs isn't much of a big deal to me. I mean you can't really avoid it.

perennial

Yeah, not worth overthinking it. Even The Lab station in GTA V (and associated Welcome to Los Santos album) had a mixture in-universe and real life things.

KingAJ032304
3 hours ago, perennial said:

You do know that the states keep the rl names right?

perennial
3 minutes ago, KingAJ032304 said:

You do know that the states keep the rl names right?

Not entirely true. Liberty City is in the State of Liberty, not New York State. Los Santos is in the State of San Andreas, not California. Florida is an exception for some reason.

Cheatz/Trickz
On 5/11/2019 at 9:53 AM, Ondr4H said:

There’s nothing confirming that they don’t exist, or that the GTA versions replace whatever they’re based on. All radio content, branding in the series, in game recreations of real celebs and Lazlow all lean on the fourth wall with the satire, they’re not beholden to the same reality that the protagonists and co. are. 

GrudgefromSanAndreas

Technically Beamer is a nickname for BMW and this car is in GTA2 and in London and GTASA there's Camper which is a nickname for the Volkswagen Type 2 so those kinda are real-life names

And i believe some weapons in 3d era are licensed

MysteryDriverX

Oh yes I remember VC having real gun names like "Colt" if Im not mistaken. Although I think I read somewhere that they used those names without a license and that this was the reason they changed them in later releases of VC? 

perennial

True, VC altered weapon names (e.g. Ruger became Kruger), models and textures in re-releases, probably for trademark reasons. Even then, GTA SA had an AK-47 for example, but the HD era games just use generic names like Assault Rifle.

gtafaninwest

A gay San Fierro policeman mentions the Dairy Queen.

Sonicdude

Personally I think that any real-life locations mentioned in the GTA Series do co-exist with the games. 
My personal head-canon is that all GTAs take place in an alternative universe where we did achieve world peace....by basically making copies of our states, changing them up a bit, then moving all horrible people to go live there. Then we made sure those places were as far away from us as possible, which is why all the maps are surrounded by water 😄

Lioshenka
On 5/11/2019 at 10:16 PM, MysteryDriverX said:

Vladivostok FM had a song by Seryoga where he sang something about Liberty City, if I remember correctly. I think it was commissioned specifically for the game though.

On 5/14/2019 at 7:28 AM, Sonicdude said:

Personally I think that any real-life locations mentioned in the GTA Series do co-exist with the games. 
My personal head-canon is that all GTAs take place in an alternative universe where we did achieve world peace....by basically making copies of our states, changing them up a bit, then moving all horrible people to go live there. Then we made sure those places were as far away from us as possible, which is why all the maps are surrounded by water 😄

...Australia? :D

Edited by Lioshenka

billiejoearmstrong8
Just now, Lioshenka said:

Vladivostok FM had a song by Seryoga where he sang something about Liberty City, if I remember correctly.

Yeah the song was written for the game and is about a Russian coming to live in Liberty City, it's called "Liberty City (The Invasion)".

The Beat in IV and EFLC has multiple songs that were written for the game or were exclusive to the game, some mention Liberty City and some don't. I'm still not sure if any were existing songs that were changed to include Liberty City references or not (I might've been mistaken), and none of them are written like a theme song the way the Seryoga one is, but there's several that have references. And there's a nice freestyle all about riding through Liberty City too.

I feel like I might've heard a Radio Broker song mention it too but I can't remember. It's hard to find info about this unfortunately

B Dawg
3 hours ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

I feel like I might've heard a Radio Broker song mention it too but I can't remember. It's hard to find info about this unfortunately

happygrowls
On 5/11/2019 at 4:35 PM, DOUGL4S1 said:

Rockstar has billboards advertising themselves in some 3D era games.

LibertyMemorialColiseum-GTA3-southwest.j

this reminds me of the advertisements in Saints Row IV

Image result for saints row 4 zinyak billboards

Rockstar just watching over you saying "yes this is our game... you will enjoy it"

universetwisters
On 5/13/2019 at 5:33 PM, perennial said:

...Even then, GTA SA had an AK-47 for example...

In San Andreas' defense, it isn't even an true AK and there's so many companies that made AK derivatives/variants that "AK-47" is about as generic as "Kleenex" is today

Speaking of kleenex.....

Edited by universetwisters

perennial

Okay, AK-47 was not the best example but there were still multiple other weapon name changes from SA to the HD era like Desert Eagle->Combat Pistol, Tec9->Machine Pistol and M4->Carbine Rifle.

Edited by perennial

billiejoearmstrong8
12 hours ago, B Dawg said:

Thanks, awesome! I love how there's so much stuff like that in the IV songs.

Somehow I don't mind the real places being mentioned alongside it though. We all know it's supposed to be based on New York after all. So while hearing Liberty City references in the songs is very cool, when I change the station and "Back in the New York Groove" is on that's cool too. It's like nudge nudge wink wink we know they're both about the same city really, mentioning both works. Same with Los Angeles/Los Santos (more Los Santos references would've been good though).

Not so much a brand but in IV some real life mafia families get mentioned. In the mission Waste Not Want Knots the McReary gang mention Gambinos and Cosa Nostra along with some in-game families (Gambino was probably an accident since there's a gang in the game called Gambetti based on them). I don't know if there's other times that's happened.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8