3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Hunky

I need help with a skin

Hunky

Hi, I know this is probably a very dumb question but I'm new to modding and I couldn't find anything online regarding this issue, which is driving me crazy.

So a friend of mine has asked me to make him a very simple texture mod of Sweet: he wants me to change the shirt's and cap's color from green to black (which I have already done on GIMP by using the colorize tool), add a playstation logo with white text under it on the back of the shirt, and replace the "LS" letters on the cap with the original San Andreas logo (the one Ryder has on his cap).
I thought I could have easily copied and pasted the PS logo on the back of the shirt from GIMP, but it turns out that, unlike the majority of other skins in SA, there's only one face of the shirt in the .txd/.png file, which I guess is the same for both the front and the back (therefore shared between the two). This means that if I added anything to it, it would show on both sides of the shirt in game. I didn't want to give up there, so I decided to do it from 3ds Max. I downloaded and installed the program and started watching some tutorials to learn at least the basics of it, before moving on to a tutorial about modding gta sa skins. The best I could find was this video from Stuyk, I downloaded KAM's Scripts and followed it step by step, but being unfamiliar with both 3ds Max and .tga files I think I got lost at some point. Everything looked great in 3ds Max, I guess because the texture looked much darker and kinda obstructed by the edged faces of the polygons, however when I exported everything and tried the skin in-game, I could see that the area around the logo was completely black and didn't match the rest of the shirt... I knew I had probably missed something in GIMP so I repeated the whole process but left the area around the logo transparent instead of black, and this was the result.

I didn't know what else to try so I went on YouTube, looked through dozens of different tutorials but couldn't find what I was looking for, hence the reason I'm here.

I don't understand how such a simple edit is so impossible to do; how the hell am I supposed to get this done? Is there a better way to edit the skin without using 3d modelling softwares since I am not interested in modifying the .dff file? Once I'm done with the shirt, how do you think I should edit the cap? I have a feeling that I can't simply do that by editing the original .txd/.png file on GIMP as well since the rectangle containing the two letters is probably too small to fit the San Andreas logo... plus, I would have to manually erase at least part of the letters and consequently make an ugly mess since they are taller than the San Andreas logo.

Thank you to anyone who replies to this thread, this forum is my last hope.

Hunky

Bump

Sloth-
Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2019 at 1:14 AM, Hunky said:

I could see that the area around the logo was completely black and didn't match the rest of the shirt... I knew I had probably missed something in GIMP so I repeated the whole process but left the area around the logo transparent instead of black, and this was the result.

Instead of filling the logo background with plain black or leaving transparent, just try to add the t-shirt texture. Maybe you could achieve a better effect.

About your second question, i'm sorry, there is no much i can do to help, since is not a technical question but an 'artistic' question. I think your problem is that you want to put a detailed image in a too small area. Maybe you have to get a "San Andreas" logo low in detail, just a "SA" with the 'gothic' letter style (the same font that "San Andreas" has).

Edited by Sloth-

ZAZ

your texture have an alpha channel because of any reason

did you create a png?

make it as bmp and put it into txd and make shure that the texture don't have alpha channel in your txd tool

𝙲olby
Posted (edited)

Put the transparent logo on some floating faces like this.

NErMcnw.png

If its just on the back itll just make a hole.

Edited by 𝙲olby

Hunky
11 hours ago, ZAZ said:

your texture have an alpha channel because of any reason

did you create a png?

make it as bmp and put it into txd and make shure that the texture don't have alpha channel in your txd tool

I followed Stuyk's video step by step: I selected the polygons, unwrapped the UVW, rendered the UV template and saved it as a .tga file, opened the .tga file in GIMP, made a selection around the green outline, filled the inside with black and the outside with white, added the logo inside the black area and finally saved over the tga (everything was in different layers). I then opened sweet.txd on TXD Workshop, duplicated the only texture that was present in the .txd file and replaced the duplicate with the .tga file. I unchecked the "Alpha is used" option, but that turned out to be a problem since the skin wouldn't load in-game (it displayed the error in chat "Warning: Model 270 wouldn't load in time!"). Stuyk apparently had the same problem, which we both fixed by rechecking the "Alpha is used" option in TXD Workshop. After unchecking it, the skin would load but the area around the logo would be pitch black.

With that said, are you telling me that I should save the UV template as a .bmp file instead? If yes, does that mean that I should work with .bmp files since the very beginning too and avoid tga's completely? Would that even fix the black area around the logo or is there something wrong I did in GIMP?

15 hours ago, Sloth- said:

Instead of filling the logo background with plain black or leaving transparent, just try to add the t-shirt texture. Maybe you could achieve a better effect.

I thought about doing the same thing, however I have no idea where to put my hands on since I don't have any experience in modelling and 3ds Max whatsoever... what's worse is that I don't even know where to look on YouTube for tutorials about this particular stuff.

If you guys could give me instructions or just link me tutorials explaining me how to do any of the stuff you have suggested, I would gladly get to work and watch up to an hour of footage if that meant making any progress...

ZAZ
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Hunky said:

With that said, are you telling me that I should save the UV template as a .bmp file instead? If yes, does that mean that I should work with .bmp files since the very beginning too and avoid tga's completely?

yes, yes, and yes,

unless you wanna have alpha channel

but why should sweet.txd have alpha channel?

bmp doesn't support alpha

if you need alpha channel, you need to make a tga or a png

(btw. alpha channel is the method you make tranprency textures)

Would that even fix the black area around the logo or is there something wrong I did in GIMP?

i don't know, give your txd as download (after you made it without alpha)

Edited by ZAZ

Hunky
On 5/9/2019 at 6:33 PM, ZAZ said:

yes, yes, and yes,

unless you wanna have alpha channel

but why should sweet.txd have alpha channel?

bmp doesn't support alpha

if you need alpha channel, you need to make a tga or a png

(btw. alpha channel is the method you make tranprency textures)

i don't know, give your txd as download (after you made it without alpha)

sweet didn't have an alpha channel but the logo did. Apparently it's also impossible to uncheck the "Alpha is used" option in its properties since it automatically rechecks itself after opening the file in TXD Workshop again...

Anyway, I tried repeating the same process with bmp files instead but when I drag and drop the logo onto the model in 3ds Max, everything inside the selection (of polygons) just turns white. And yes, I did change the image type before importing the dff (it is set to tga by default).

Perhaps I didn't render or save the UV template properly? There were a couple of options alpha-related in the rendering tab, though I didn't touch them since I don't know what they're for or if I even have to change them in the first place...

In GIMP I simply opened the template (which I had saved as logo.bmp) and added the PS logo as a new layer, without making any selection or filling anything with white & black; I exported it as pslogo.bmp and imported it on the texture in 3ds Max and that's when the problem occurred. So I opened the GIMP's project again, made a selection around the green outline, filled the inside with black and the outside with white, hoping that it would at least show something different in 3ds Max, but the result was the same. That portion of Sweet's back would remain white.

Here are all the .bmp files I used, including the GIMP's project (I assume most of you guys use Photoshop but I still hope you can open it):

(Downloads from mega.nz)

sweet.bmp

logo.bmp

pslogo.xcf

pslogo.bmp

6Four9

use Magic.TXD instead of TXD Workshop

ZAZ
17 hours ago, Hunky said:

Apparently it's also impossible to uncheck the "Alpha is used" option in its properties since it automatically rechecks itself after opening the file in TXD Workshop again...

zyoWox8.png

that's a bug of TXD Workshop, can be solved in following way:

1. delete logo texture

2. duplicate sweet texture

3. edit properties of duplicated texture: rename it into logo (not logoa)

4. import logo.bmp (tga or png is also possible, alpha should be ignored then)

or use that tool that 6Four9 mentioned above

Make background (not transparent) of logo : use tshirt of sweet texture

make black background as mask, then convert the mask to have the logo as mask, then make logo mask as new level

then copy the part of sweet.bmp of only the tshirt, paste it into logo.bmp, also as new level

logo level should be above of tshirt level, then merge everything

Anyway, I tried repeating the same process with bmp files instead but when I drag and drop the logo onto the model in 3ds Max, everything inside the selection (of polygons) just turns white. And yes, I did change the image type before importing the dff (it is set to tga by default).

look at 9:07 of Stuyk's video, open Material editor and connect the right texture file

Hunky
On 5/11/2019 at 4:51 PM, ZAZ said:

Make background (not transparent) of logo : use tshirt of sweet texture

make black background as mask, then convert the mask to have the logo as mask, then make logo mask as new level

then copy the part of sweet.bmp of only the tshirt, paste it into logo.bmp, also as new level

logo level should be above of tshirt level, then merge everything

I have downloaded magic.txd and will use that instead, but these instructions seem a bit confusing..

Are you suggesting to extract the t-shirt's texture from the selection of polygons, like Sloth- previously did? If yes, how do I do it (preferably as accurately as possible)?

ZAZ
Posted (edited)

No, i mean edit the texture with graficeditor, gimp or photoshop

http://www.imagebam.com/image/3e4fa91221200764

i made the tshirtbackground more bright, so you can better see what i mean

Edited by ZAZ

Hunky
On 5/13/2019 at 10:09 PM, ZAZ said:

No, i mean edit the texture with graficeditor, gimp or photoshop

http://www.imagebam.com/image/3e4fa91221200764

i made the tshirtbackground more bright, so you can better see what i mean

But that wouldn't look 100% accurate (in game), is it? I imagine the wrinkles of the shirt are gonna look out of place, for example... are you sure there are no other options?

I would love to try something else first, like what Colby has suggested, if I only I knew how to.. I can keep this as a last resort, as I'm sure that by using this method I won't encounter any technical difficulties.

Sorry for the late response.

Hunky

Bump

ZAZ
On 5/16/2019 at 9:09 PM, Hunky said:

But that wouldn't look 100% accurate (in game), is it? I imagine the wrinkles of the shirt are gonna look out of place, for example... are you sure there are no other options?

have you tried it?

a t-shirt texture as background that looks like a t-shirt, is normally the best way

100% accurate? it's a low poly model and you want a rigid logo on a cloth surface

I would love to try something else first, like what Colby has suggested, if I only I knew how to.. I can keep this as a last resort, as I'm sure that by using this method I won't encounter any technical difficulties.

Sorry for the late response.

I think he means, attaching additional mesh a little bit behind of the back of sweet that carries the logo with transparency background

Edited by ZAZ