Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. GTANet.com

    1. GTA Online

      1. The Cayo Perico Heist
      2. Find Lobbies & Players
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Vehicles
      5. Content Creator
      6. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Frontier Pursuits
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    3. Crews

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Redemption

    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

      1. St. Andrews Cathedral
    2. GTA VI

    3. GTA V

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

      1. The Lost and Damned
      2. The Ballad of Gay Tony
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
    5. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    6. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    7. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    8. Portable Games

      1. GTA Chinatown Wars
      2. GTA Vice City Stories
      3. GTA Liberty City Stories
    9. Top-Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    1. GTA Mods

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Red Dead Mods

      1. Documentation
    3. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    4. Featured Mods

      1. Design Your Own Mission
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Rockstar Games

    2. Rockstar Collectors

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Movies & TV
      5. Music
      6. Sports
      7. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

    1. Announcements

    2. Support

      1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Most and least humorous GTA games


Recommended Posts

With most serious I mean which GTA games have the most jokes and humorous situations during missions. If that's the case, I think with the most serious I'd go with GTA III and Advance, because they barely had any jokes. I frankly don't even remember anyone smiling or cracking a joke during the whole story.

 

The polar opposite of that would be GTA Chinatown Wars, which is filled to the brim with ridiculous sarcasm and jokes. Most if not all missions have some sort of in-joke.

Link to post
Share on other sites
El Penguin Bobo

 I think either IV or III was the most serious.

 

As for least serious, probably TBOGT. Everything was too light hearted (there's nothing wrong with that), and a bit goofy. I was going to say V, but it had its serious moments.

Link to post
Share on other sites

From Most Serious to Least Serious:

 

1. III

2. IV

3. TLAD

3.5 Liberty City Stories

4. Vice City & San Andreas(tied)

4.5. Vice City Stories

5. V

6. TBOGT

Edited by TheSantader25
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheSantader25 said:

From Most Serious to Least Serious:

 

1. III

2. IV

3. TLAD

3.5 Liberty City Stories

4. Vice City & San Andreas(tied)

4.5. Vice City Stories

5. V

6. TBOGT

Same.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
billiejoearmstrong8

How serious a game is and how many jokes it has are two different things I think. Just because a game is serious it doesn't mean it can't have a lot of humour in it and vice versa. IV for example has a serious storyline but includes humour in the majority of scenes and has some of the funniest characters and lines of the series. 

 

So comparing the games in terms of how serious they are and comparing the games in terms of how humorous they are, these are two different questions. 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

How serious a game is and how many jokes it has are two different things I think. Just because a game is serious it doesn't mean it can't have a lot of humour in it and vice versa. IV for example has a serious storyline but includes humour in the majority of scenes and has some of the funniest characters and lines of the series. 

 

So comparing the games in terms of how serious they are and comparing the games in terms of how humorous they are, these are two different questions. 

As I'm not a native English speaker, I gotta apologise for that mistake. Thanks :) I'll ask the admins to rename the topic.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
billiejoearmstrong8
39 minutes ago, Jeansowaty said:

As I'm not a native English speaker, I gotta apologise for that mistake. Thanks :) I'll ask the admins to rename the topic.

Oh it's no problem, I think it just means there's two different angles that can be discussed :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, GrudgefromSanAndreas said:

and what about GTA1, L1969, L1961 and GTA2?

I'd say they all had a fair share of both hilarious missions done for the heck of it (such as the Triad missions in GTA1 where you had to collect 4 elements of GTA or the Hot Dog mission in GTA2) and very serious ones.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Most humorous to least humorous:

 

GTA CTW

GTA 2

GTA O

GTA LCS

GTA SA

GTA L69

GTA L61

GTA TBOGT

GTA 5

GTA VCS
GTA VC

GTA 1

GTA TLAD

GTA 4

GTA 3

GTA A

 

Edited by KingAJ032304
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

From most to least humorous in terms of noticeability (not including the top-down titles):

  1. The Ballad of Gay Tony & V
  2. Vice City Stories
  3. Liberty City Stories
  4. San Andreas
  5. Vice City
  6. GTA IV & The Lost and Damned
  7. III

As for quality, it's simply the list reversed, with III being on par with Vice City.

Edited by iiCriminnaaL 49
Link to post
Share on other sites
Algonquin Assassin

GTA IV is the only one that gets the balance right IMO with GTA V being too try hard for its own good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

GTA IV, TLAD, and to a lesser extent, TBOGT and VC are the only four that get the balance just right IMO. GTA V definitely takes the cake in the realm of trying to be funny but not succeeding.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, everyone's said it but 

I think the IV trilogy is the most serious (TBOGT was a bit lighthearted but I think it achieved a nice balance between serious and comedic. It was rather refreshing seeing as IV and TLAD were both pretty dank and depressing in their feel.) and I do think GTA V is the most humorous. Though I personally think it succeeds in it's writing. The only problem with that game's story is focus imo.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

@xXPinguXx Our opinions may differ in EXTREMELY SLIGHT (key words: extremely and slight which is why they’re both in all caps) ways but at the end of the day, our opinions are SO similar, it’s scary. Sometimes I think it might secretly be my dad, the Minnesota Vikings, or the band members of Metallica behind American Venom’s account because those are all guys I’ve always looked up to, ;)

Edited by ThatKyloRenGuy
Link to post
Share on other sites
Algonquin Assassin
30 minutes ago, xXPinguXx said:

@ThatKyloRenGuy Is it me, or do you and American Venom always have the same opinions? 😂

Well he's my mini me/highest paid goon.

 

He's a good lad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ThatKyloRenGuy said:

GTA IV, TLAD, and to a lesser extent, TBOGT and VC are the only four that get the balance just right IMO. GTA V definitely takes the cake in the realm of trying to be funny but not succeeding.

That's a good thing to look at. V is definitely one of the top ones here but I think I'd go for LCS in that aspect. There's too many missions that are supposed to be funny but they just weren't. I have a feeling R* found an always annoyed protagonist, first butchering a guy with an axe, then stealing a corpse going to a church, funny. Then the priest turns out to be fake, he dies and you steal his body so a cannibal who later tells you to blow up an entire district can eat it. Not to mention that Toni barely smiles. He's worse than Luis in that aspect.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps I have an odd sense of humour, but out of the ones I've played, I actually thought SA was the most humorous. I laughed so hard and so much whilst playing, but maybe I'm a little biased since I still very much love it the most. The dialogue alone had me laughing non-stop, from both the primary characters and random NPCs alike. Overall, it didn't take itself very seriously at all and, in my opinion, that worked very well in its favour! However, I could see that V wanted to be less serious and perhaps try to recapture a bit of that same essence and approach, but I thought it suffered somewhat as a result. I actually think V would have been much better had it taken a slightly more serious angle and focused a bit more on character development, and chemistry.

 

III definitely had a more serious aura, but the Chatterbox talk radio station with Lazlow was quite hilarious, I must say. The missions and gameplay though were not, but it didn't need to be; I still loved it regardless and it worked just fine for its time and what it was. VC didn't strike me as being all that humorous either, but I fully admit that I really didn't like VC at all, so maybe I'm biased since I found it hard to even finish, let alone laugh at.

 

I think IV was obviously meant to be more serious and that worked very well in it's favour. Thought now that I think about it, IV was probably more humorous than both III and VC, but perhaps slightly less than V. However, again, in my opinion, V would have been much, much better had it tried to be more like IV and less like SA. And no, I didn't actually dislike V as a game; I thought it was fun to play and not all of the humour was flat. I just thought it could have been a lot better and even longer than what it was.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

From Most Serious to Least Serious:

 

1. III

2. IV

3. TLAD

3.5 Liberty City Stories

4. Vice City & San Andreas(tied)

4.5. Vice City Stories

5. V

6. TBOGT

Same, though I haven't played all of them yet, so:

  1. III
  2. IV
  3. VC
  4. SA
  5. V

 

I found SA the most funniest that made my smile and genuinely laugh the most, but I have to admit that V is stuffed full of bad jokes and references. I didn't really find it funny, but I must admit that the amount of humour R* tried to put in it was overwhelming.

Edited by Lioshenka
Link to post
Share on other sites

Most Humourous- III with VC a close second

 

If we're only considering the story/missions i thought SA was the most light hearted GTA. But personally, the humour in GTA games comes from the radio stations,pedestrians and stuff, so in that regard III and VC were the funniest GTA's for me. Chatterbox FM is possibly the funniest radio station in GTA imo, and the ped dialogues in III had some funny lines in there( I know the Colombian Cartel were supposed to be anything but funny, but i kept chuckling at whatever they said the first time I played III) . VC's VCPR is a close second to Chatterbox ,and i still get the occasional chuckle when I hear the commercials in VC. Honourable mention to SA,but at this point R* humour was losing a bit of its novelty for me

 

Least Humourous- V

 

I like V, and i know it was filled with satire but at this point the R* brand of humour grew a bit stale for me. Maybe if I played V first I'd find it funnier but oh well.

 

   

Link to post
Share on other sites
LazlowsucksiloveslutS

The funniest, I can't say which is funnier vice city storis or ballad of gay tony. Both of these had me lauhing in tears from the opening cutscene until the end of game. VCS and TBoGT are equally humorous to me. Maybe the funniest storylines I've ever played.

 

Most serious is GTAIV, this game makes you think. It is similar to  Mafia game.  Every time I play it, it brings back memories of the first Mafia game. I don't know why it is. 

Edited by CountdownIIExtinction
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2019 at 5:08 PM, CountdownIIExtinction said:

The funniest, I can't say which is funnier vice city storis or ballad of gay tony. Both of these had me lauhing in tears from the opening cutscene until the end of game. VCS and TBoGT are equally humorous to me. Maybe the funniest storylines I've ever played.

 

Most serious is GTAIV, this game makes you think. It is similar to  Mafia game.  Every time I play it, it brings back memories of the first Mafia game. I don't know why it is. 

Kinda ironic, since I find VCS and IV pretty comparable story-wise. Though both games have their serious moments, there are also some funny scenes too :)

Edited by Jeansowaty
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
CryptReaperDorian

Honestly, I find that humor tends to shine the most when it's paired with a game that tries to take itself somewhat seriously. GTA V's humor falls flat in most regards, but the humor of, say, GTA III and GTA IV is golden. The absurdity of the contrast of themes is just hilarious.

 

> Pull off an assassination that holds incriminating evidence against a client.

 

> Two seconds later: "In the Navy!"

 

That, and when you have Niko acting sarcastic/witty/snide/snarky towards some powerful mob bosses and government agents, that's just the greatest.

 

GTA VC and GTA SA are both hilarious also, and that's while being more lighthearted than two aforementioned games.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Chinatown had me laughing out loud first time reading the dialogue with the protag's sarcasm. III's chatterbox was pretty funny too. GTAV tried too hard.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
LazlowsucksiloveslutS
On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:03 AM, Jeansowaty said:

Kinda ironic, since I find VCS and IV pretty comparable story-wise. Though both games have their serious moments, there are also some funny scenes too :)

Well the tone and style of VCS is very different from GTAIV. In film analogy - Vice City Stories is like Beverly Hills Cop and Bad Boys while GTAIV is like Scarface and Goodfelllas - much more serious.

Edited by CountdownIIExtinction
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
universetwisters
On 5/5/2019 at 7:16 PM, CryptReaperDorian said:

Honestly, I find that humor tends to shine the most when it's paired with a game that tries to take itself somewhat seriously. GTA V's humor falls flat in most regards, but the humor of, say, GTA III and GTA IV is golden. The absurdity of the contrast of themes is just hilarious.

 

> Pull off an assassination that holds incriminating evidence against a client.

 

> Two seconds later: "In the Navy!"

 

That, and when you have Niko acting sarcastic/witty/snide/snarky towards some powerful mob bosses and government agents, that's just the greatest.

 

GTA VC and GTA SA are both hilarious also, and that's while being more lighthearted than two aforementioned games.

 

This

 

The humor in GTA shouldn't come from dialogue or radio, it should come from the pedestrians and juxtaposition like in this dude's example. Like who here remembers being beaten to death by triads in GTA 3 while they say  FOXY LADY MAMAMAMA

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

IV is the most serious one,  you can tell it was when you even step off the boat in LC for the first time. You just get the dark tone vibe of the game and the streets if you know what I mean.

 

V tries to be funny, but imo, it doesn't work, the humor can be quite stupid at times.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2019 at 1:44 AM, universetwisters said:

 

This

 

The humor in GTA shouldn't come from dialogue or radio, it should come from the pedestrians and juxtaposition like in this dude's example. Like who here remembers being beaten to death by triads in GTA 3 while they say  FOXY LADY MAMAMAMA

 

 

:panic:

The most funny sarcastic cutscenes are for GTA San Andreas boys, CJ always had a huge magnetic effect on being the ridiculous 

gang banger in LS especially wen he is busted by the Pulaski facial hero cop

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.