1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Corrupt cop as a protagonist

Damien Scott

LeslieFromTheShoIntimacy
On 5/30/2019 at 4:30 PM, Pedinhuh said:

But a crooked cop IS a criminal.

Yeah, but it’s more along the lines of a white-collar criminal in the sense that most of the dirty deeds are done in the shadows, under the table, while mostly maintaining an image of being “the good guys”  and still expected to be professional in public.  After all, even the dirtiest of cops do “good” things on occasion, seeing that is their line of work.

Look, I like the idea, I really do; but frankly it’s not suited for GTA.  That’s what True Crime is/was for, and I don’t think that playing as a police officer, good or crooked, has that same long term appeal as being a straight petty crook/thief/gangster/mafioso.

If we’re gonna play as a cop, then we need a new True Crime; (not Sleeping Dogs) That’s what True Crime was all about

I’m waiting for someone who likes this idea to explain how the wanted level would work if you’re a corrupt police officer. 

Hell yei! Gimme a protag that arrests kids and tear poor families apart by day and sells confiscated drugs at night!

On 6/9/2019 at 2:24 PM, H. León said:

I’m waiting for someone who likes this idea to explain how the wanted level would work if you’re a corrupt police officer. 

Call Lester.

The idea is decent tbh but there's a few issues i find with this

1. As others mentioned, how would the wanted system work? 

2. The protagonist in GTA games are able to kill pedestrians. However, if the protagonist is a cop, it wouldn't make sense for them to be able to kill any pedestrians they wanted and the likes considering their job (Crooked cops IRL don't really go around slaughtering every pedestrian they see)

3. The stories of GTA games tend to have this theme where the character starts from nothing and builds his way up, if the character is already a cop then they already have a decent starting point.

Tenpenny and Pulaski worked as crooked cops as they rarely ever got their hands dirty (they had CJ and probably others do the dirty work for them). The main protag won't work as well being a crooked cop as it requires them to be not passive generally.

The Coconut Kid

I'm interested in the corrupt cop idea. Will make a better post later on...

On 6/10/2019 at 6:54 AM, H. León said:

If it were me designing the game, I would just flip the wanted level so that you're pursued by criminals instead of cops. You would still get one-to-six stars but it would be gangs who enforce law and order rather than the police themselves.

You are a corrupt cop and you operate with impunity -- but you are just a small part of a corrupt system and it's the gangs who regulate it. Let's say you go around roughing up pedestrians and shaking them down. Instead of police responding to your actions, you would get a couple of local gangsters crowd around you and tell you to move along. Your wanted level would move up if you refuse and they would beat you down.

Of course, if you go around shooting people then things have to escalate. The gangsters start cruising the area you're in with the aim of hunting you down. The more damage you do, the tougher they become -- they send their enforcers after you in the same way that NOOSE eventually come for you. Maybe you'd get a price on your head as in RDR and packs of hitmen would track you down with the aim of claiming the bounty. You would pay your wanted level off with bribes instead of going through a Pay and Spray.

2 hours ago, The FoolYT said:

The protagonist in GTA games are able to kill pedestrians. However, if the protagonist is a cop, it wouldn't make sense for them to be able to kill any pedestrians they wanted and the likes considering their job (Crooked cops IRL don't really go around slaughtering every pedestrian they see)

There's a few ways to get around this I think...

The setting could be populated with mostly criminals -- so the map would be mostly low level pushers, pimps and prostitutes and people turning to crime because the economy of the city you're in has gone to sh*t. Not that this justifies going around killing them, but they're the kind of people corrupt cops prey on and it wouldn't be that unrealistic to imagine cops closing ranks to turn a blind eye. Throw in plenty of well armed gangsters controlling territories all over the map and there's plenty of scope for massacres -- maybe this time with police backup.

It could also be made clear from the beginning of the game that the nature of police corruption allows for a few discretionary pedestrian deaths (let's call them "accidental casualties") every now and then. The corrupt cop protagonist shouldn't feel any different from controlling a soldier in a mafia family. They're part of a structure (the police force -- and one that's also entirely corrupt) and as long as they pay their way they don't give a sh*t what you do. You're correct that cops don't go around massacring people (not usually, anyway...) but to be fair, neither do professional criminals.

2 hours ago, The FoolYT said:

The stories of GTA games tend to have this theme where the character starts from nothing and builds his way up, if the character is already a cop then they already have a decent starting point.

Depends how you look at it -- the starting point could be a basic cop on a basic salary, and the protagonist isn't willing to settle for that because they know that there's loads of money to be made.

They could start off small -- collecting envelopes of "graft" payments from around your precinct and raiding businesses belonging to gangsters who are rivals to the crooks who are paying you off. All you have to do is drive the car and beat a few people up. Maybe chase down a genuine crook once or twice. The main thing they should be doing at the start of the game is learning their patch -- figuring out what businesses are where, who the criminals are and what their weaknesses are. Basically sizing up their prey for later on in the game.

Ten or fifteen missions in, they become plainclothes and the level of corruption (and the stakes) intensify. They actively extort businesses and put together small deals. They make enough money to have a comfortable home life and they want to maintain it, so they start accessing police databases and begin to target the active criminals in town with their team of cops. The characters that the protagonist is surrounded by are important, because they should be thought of like a gang -- you have to pull your weight or you're gone. Their could be a drug dealing element where you confiscate drugs from dealers and re-sell it. The bribes they have been taking have also gotten bigger and you're expected to do more for your money -- acting as a hitman, killing witnesses, making evidence disappear. The usual GTA stuff.

There's a lot that would have to change to make this work, but I definitely think a corrupt cop is possible if written right. Hope this post gives a bit more to chat about.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, The Coconut Kid said:

The setting could be populated with mostly criminals -- so the map would be mostly low level pushers, pimps and prostitutes and people turning to crime because the economy of the city you're in has gone to sh*t. Not that this justifies going around killing them, but they're the kind of people corrupt cops prey on and it wouldn't be that unrealistic to imagine cops closing ranks to turn a blind eye. Throw in plenty of well armed gangsters controlling territories all over the map and there's plenty of scope for massacres -- maybe this time with police backup.

Carcer City would be the perfect setting, a decayed crime-ridden city with a corrupt police force and abandoned neighborhoods overrun by violent gangs. 

Edited by Damien Scott
  • Like 1

Gangs enforcing law wouldn’t be GTA, imo. Besides, I’m tired of people cheering real life criminals and under appreciating law enforcement. I like GTA, but gangs protecting civilians from the police is too much, and it doesn’t make sense.

I've read all the posts in this thread and I'm sorry, but what the hell am I reading here?

So many people on this forum and on the internet in general sh*t on various games and their developers daily and then post ''ideas'' like these? This has to be some kind of a joke. Some of the posts in here, that's really what you want? These posts are reasons why you're not game developers and hopefully never will be because that would be a horrific waste of time and money. The OP also actually called his idea of a corrupt cop as a protagonist in a GTA game refreshing. And he said it like that was a positive thing too. Have you lost your goddamn mind there?

Grand Theft Auto. The game franchise literally carries the name of one of the criminal offences. Criminals as protagonists since day one. And your 'refreshing' brilliant idea is to have a cop as a protagonist? In a criminal game? A dirty cop is still a cop. A dirty cop doesn't do dirty things all the time. Not even criminals do dirty things all the time. The game as such wouldn't work in the slightest.

What's the next brilliant ''refreshing'' idea? A Hitman game where you play as the target, walking in circles, just waiting to be killed by an NPC assassin? Holy sh*t.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jimmy_Leppard said:

What's the next brilliant ''refreshing'' idea? A Hitman game where you play as the target, walking in circles, just waiting to be killed by an NPC assassin? Holy sh*t.

Am I detecting sarcasm here or you just don't know about 12 minutes?

Wow. The posts here combine to outline a rather interesting game.

The only problem is, the game we can see here isn't really GTA. It would work far better as a standalone title.

I hope the ideas in this thread never become true. So bad. Would destroy GTA franchise in an instant. 

On 6/9/2019 at 5:24 PM, H. León said:

Like True Crime handled it. Go on a rampage you get sent to do boring work and cant advance the story until you do.

• Like 1

Grotti Vigilante
4 hours ago, Zello said:

Like True Crime handled it. Go on a rampage you get sent to do boring work and cant advance the story until you do.

So basically punish the player for letting loose and going on a rampage which is what helps make GTA so great? Having the ability to do whatever with absolutely no consequences? That sounds terrible if I’m honest.

15 hours ago, Jimmy_Leppard said:

Grand Theft Auto. The game franchise literally carries the name of one of the criminal offences. Criminals as protagonists since day one. And your 'refreshing' brilliant idea is to have a cop as a protagonist? In a criminal game? A dirty cop is still a cop. A dirty cop doesn't do dirty things all the time. Not even criminals do dirty things all the time. The game as such wouldn't work in the slightest.

A dirty cop is a criminal like any other, the difference is that he has a badge, that means power to get away with some crimes and more ways to make money illegally. Keep in mind this would only work with multiple protagonists. 

Chill out dude, it's just an idea, and in my opinion, it could work if done right.

LeslieFromTheShoIntimacy
5 hours ago, Zello said:

Was waiting for someone to say “like True Crime”

Well damn, this is taking the concept from True Crime, wanted level from True Crime.. sounds like you guys want another True Crime game, not GTA.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, el carlitos said:

I hope the ideas in this thread never become true. So bad. Would destroy GTA franchise in an instant. 

What if it's like it was in Vice City Stories: a higher rank officer screws the protagonist over so badly that his career as a cop is pretty much over.

Grotti Vigilante
17 hours ago, Tao Cheng said:

What if it's like it was in Vice City Stories: a higher rank officer screws the protagonist over so badly that his career as a cop is pretty much over.

That’d work okay as a quick backstory for a protagonist who becomes a common crook after losing faith in the system and to possibly spite the higher officer, but that wouldn’t even fit the idea of a corrupt cop as a protagonist anyway since you’d not be a cop any longer, so it doesn’t really strengthen the argument for the changes people are proposing here.

I rather have a criminal protagonist that portrays himself as a cop(fake) for a while instead. Finds/steals someone else's badge and messes with other people while the real cop is dead in his fridge. 

Edited by TheSantader25
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, TheSantader25 said:

I rather have a criminal protagonist that portrays himself as a cop(fake) for a while instead. Finds/steals someone else's badge and messes with other people while the real cop is dead in his fridge. 

Like in Banshee? That would be pretty cool.

• Like 1

The Coconut Kid
On 6/14/2019 at 6:44 AM, H. León said:

Gangs enforcing law wouldn’t be GTA, imo. Besides, I’m tired of people cheering real life criminals and under appreciating law enforcement. I like GTA, but gangs protecting civilians from the police is too much, and it doesn’t make sense.

Wasn't GTA developed around the idea that people find it fun to be chased and occasionally get out of their car to do a mission? Would it make that much of a difference if it's crooks chasing the player rather than cops?

The wanted system would be the biggest obstacle and I'll admit gangs enforcing law would be a bit of a stretch if that was how the whole thing worked. You could get to a certain point (three stars?) where the police do get involved and you have to outrun them. Gameplay should be buffed up around escape and evasion tactics and needs to move away from killing cops if you are, you know, a cop yourself. I can see the potential in it but sadly it looks like the majority of people are opposed.

I disagree that gangs protecting civilians from your corrupt cop protagonist doesn't make sense. If you are going around Grove Street kicking teeth in, do you think someone is more likely to pick up the phone and call the police or pull a couple of homies off the corner to deal with you? The majority of the map could be made up of areas where either the police aren't trusted or there's an arrangement between cops and gangsters not to cause trouble. When you do inevitably cause trouble, the gangs come for you. Even in rich areas, law enforcement in the city could be seen as so ineffective or trust in the police could be so low that they turn to shady private security (Merryweather? P.I.G.'s?) instead.

On this point it's worth thinking back to San Andreas and how a lot of the early storyline in Los Santos (and when you eventually return) revolved around protecting the neighborhood from a crack trade that was being enabled by the cops and their involvement in playing gangs off against each other. Sweet was basically the Sheriff of Ganton. Even how CJ stalked and infiltrated the Loco Syndicate isn't far from the work of an undercover cop.

On 6/14/2019 at 2:59 AM, Damien Scott said:

Carcer City would be the perfect setting, a decayed crime-ridden city with a corrupt police force and abandoned neighborhoods overrun by violent gangs. 

Agreed -- although I think it could work just as well in a new rural location or in one of the border states. The Cartels would basically own the police force. Most people would be complicit in the drug trade in some way, the black market is the economy, and it's up to your character to regulate (because there's no point trying to fight it) and profit from it.

On 6/14/2019 at 6:03 PM, Beato_dim said:

Wow. The posts here combine to outline a rather interesting game.

The only problem is, the game we can see here isn't really GTA. It would work far better as a standalone title.

I agree -- I would love Rockstar to revisit the Noire series and take inspiration from the neo-noir films/series of the 80s.

On 6/14/2019 at 6:28 PM, Zello said:

Haven't played True Crime for years so a couple of questions... didn't they bust you back down to being a uniformed cop if your "bad cop" level got too low? And didn't cops used to come after you if you went on shooting sprees? Memory is a bit fuzzy, but I'm sure I remember that happening in the NYC game.

4 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

You might like Miami Blues It's like watching Tommy Vercetti run around Miami with a police badge at times.

On 6/15/2019 at 12:24 AM, LeslieFromTheShoIntimacy said:

Was waiting for someone to say “like True Crime”

Well damn, this is taking the concept from True Crime, wanted level from True Crime.. sounds like you guys want another True Crime game, not GTA.

In True Crime the aim of the game was to bring down organized crime groups -- in a GTA storyline the likelihood is you would be enabling them and be complicit in their actions, possibly even orchestrating them. Completely different things...

Another True Crime gets a big thumbs up from me though, especially after Sleeping Dogs.

• Like 1

LeslieFromTheShoIntimacy
18 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

I rather have a criminal protagonist that portrays himself as a cop(fake) for a while instead. 

Now you’re talking. 

• Like 2

On 6/9/2019 at 11:24 PM, H. León said:

Is this really a problem? Think of GTA V, Michael is a known criminal, in witness protection, works with the FIB. Yet he can go on a killing spree, being arrested and then walks out of jail (or hospital) without further consequences. This would likely work with a corrupt cop character. Imprisonment and death have no meaning in GTA and are not realistic, what happens outside the story does not matter for the story.

Another user suggested gangs which is an interesting idea, FIB instead local police would also be an idea, implying the complete police is corrupt.

An idea might be, as crooked cop you can do more harm until you get a wanted level at all, but once you get one, it is instantly 3 Stars and the FIB chasing you, maybe military also, when you get arrested you do not walk out the police station but out a federal prison with no further consequences.

You can kill random pedestrians in GTA but it doesn't make sense for most characters, except Trevor.

BTW this I an older post from me where I had an idea about a storyline involving a corrupt cop:

The game is set in the 90s, don't know which city, but I'd favor some Redneck State or the Midwest, maybe Kansas City and St. Louis.

Two characters, the first one is a former soldier who drove military trucks during Desert Storm in Iraq and is now a stockcar racer, the second character is a dirty cop.

Char #1 is forced to work for a crime organization as a driver for whatever reason, at one point he is involved in a bank robbery and steals documents or whatever the dirty cop wants back. You do the usual missions you do in GTAs with Char #1, getting deeper and deeper involved in crime after starting merely as a driver.

The dirty cop both has cop missions and missions where he follows his own criminal agenda plus missions in context with the bank robbery and the missing documents, my plot somehow would be that the cop sabotages the offical investigation of the bank robbery and chases char #1 on his own, not knowing him personally. To quote myself:

I'd like the idea of having to 2 protagonists who are "enemies", a criminal and a dirty cop who both persecutes the criminal and at the same time follows his own (criminal) agenda which is intermingled with the criminal's agenda (without knowing from each other). The game would need a good plot of course, imagine to change sides within one mission, like chasing the criminal you played the minute before in a police car. The characters should directly meet each other only at the end of the game and either oppose each other or become allies since the might find out that they unintentionally have the same agenda. GTA IV went a little in that direction with its episodes, the same events from different angles.

I have not elaborated a whole plot but at one point in the story char #1 and the dirty cop meet and find out to work for the same crime organisation whatever it is, they then work together. Then they f*ck up and their actions get their boss imprisoned unintentionally (maybe even before they have meet personally) which leads to the final mission:

They get forced by their bosses's goons to duell each other as retaliation and the surviving one to free the boss, leaving the player three options:

Char #1 kills the dirty cop and frees the boss using brute force

The dirty cop kills char #1 and frees the boss using cleverness and his position as cop

Char #1 and the dirty cop manage to escape the situation, killing various goons of their own party and freeing their boss together, hoping he forgives them, using both cleverness and brute force.

Any thoughts on my plot? I have only ideas how to start and end the story, not what would happen in between and could lead to the events described. 

Edited by Aquamaniac
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Aquamaniac said:

Is this really a problem? Think of GTA V, Michael is a known criminal, in witness protection, works with the FIB. Yet he can go on a killing spree, being arrested and then walks out of jail (or hospital) without further consequences. This would likely work with a corrupt cop character. Imprisonment and death have no meaning in GTA and are not realistic, what happens outside the story does not matter for the story.

Exactly. Like I said before, shootings and chases outside the story are not canon.

6 hours ago, Aquamaniac said:

FIB instead local police would also be an idea, implying the complete police is corrupt.

An idea might be, as crooked cop you can do more harm until you get a wanted level at all, but once you get one, it is instantly 3 Stars and the FIB chasing you, maybe military also, when you get arrested you do not walk out the police station but out a federal prison with no further consequences.

Great idea. That would work better than gangs imo.

6 hours ago, Aquamaniac said:

Any thoughts on my plot? I have only ideas how to start and end the story, not what would happen in between and could lead to the events described. 

It's pretty interesting. The cop could help the ex-soldier rise through the ranks of the organization by arresting rivals and calling off pursuits.

The corrupt cop idea is just, really really bad, if you think it through.

GTA was never really about corrup cops but about gangster/mob bosses/Bank robbers etc.

I highly doubt Rockstar will take the corrupt cop route, however I do believe that there will be some sort of involvement with the law enforcement, just like there was in GTA V. With a corrup cop blackmailing you and drawing you into his own operations. 

I really liked the "political" dynamic between the IAA and FIB departments and I hope to see more of that.

14 hours ago, Mas u Sees said:

The corrupt cop idea is just, really really bad, if you think it through.

GTA was never really about corrup cops but about gangster/mob bosses/Bank robbers etc.

I highly doubt Rockstar will take the corrupt cop route, however I do believe that there will be some sort of involvement with the law enforcement, just like there was in GTA V. With a corrup cop blackmailing you and drawing you into his own operations. 

I really liked the "political" dynamic between the IAA and FIB departments and I hope to see more of that.

Corrupt cops can be mobsters or bank robbers, I suppose when people want a corrupt cop as a main character they do not mean a cop who merely takes bribes but is involved in organized crime and has his own criminal agenda, why would this ruin the game?

• Like 1

On 6/16/2019 at 10:34 AM, Aquamaniac said:

I'd like the idea of having to 2 protagonists who are "enemies", a criminal and a dirty cop who both persecutes the criminal and at the same time follows his own (criminal) agenda which is intermingled with the criminal's agenda (without knowing from each other).

Sounds like how Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy started out.

On 6/16/2019 at 10:34 AM, Aquamaniac said:

They get forced by their bosses's goons to duell each other as retaliation and the surviving one to free the boss, leaving the player three options:

Char #1 kills the dirty cop and frees the boss using brute force

The dirty cop kills char #1 and frees the boss using cleverness and his position as cop

Char #1 and the dirty cop manage to escape the situation, killing various goons of their own party and freeing their boss together, hoping he forgives them, using both cleverness and brute force.

And something along these lines was featured in Nier: Automata.

Grotti Vigilante

Perhaps the ultimate question for those advocating such a risky move on Rockstar’s half is: what would choosing to have a corrupt cop protagonist honestly bring to the table? What benefits would it bring that playing as a regular crook would not? We’ve already gone over what it would take away, but what could justify taking the risks? Just to try something different? Trying something different for the sake of it will almost never work...

48 minutes ago, Grotti Vigilante said:

Perhaps the ultimate question for those advocating such a risky move on Rockstar’s half is: what would choosing to have a corrupt cop protagonist honestly bring to the table? What benefits would it bring that playing as a regular crook would not? We’ve already gone over what it would take away, but what could justify taking the risks? Just to try something different? Trying something different for the sake of it will almost never work...

Well I'm not a fan of the idea but it does bring new gameplay features such as calling for your colleague cops to help you or arrest civilians at will,.... Law enforcement perks in short. But then again even if you were a criminal you could probably have gang members helping you like San Andreas. Also R* can already add hogtying and kidnapping people via the vehicle trunk as a feature for criminals(similar to arresting people). 

I feel lie if they bring the Police cruiser perks/computer from IV and Vigilante missions it'll be better. So instead of wasting their resources trying to make a corrupt cop compatible with the GTA formula they can do this:

-Let us recruit gang members like San Andreas in free roam. 

-Let us tie people and kidnap them. You can use the trunk. 

-Bring back the Vigilante and MW missions from IV. Also let us use any law enforcement vehicle to complete them like the 3D era. 

-The police computer returns with criminal IDs and locations + the ability to call for back up. 

-Add in bounty hunting missions like the ones with Maude in GTA V. 

Edited by TheSantader25

5 hours ago, Beato_dim said:

Sounds like how Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy started out.

And something along these lines was featured in Nier: Automata.

I'm not familiar with this titles, but I guess I got heavily inspired by various movies. However in the meanwhile I think a prison mission is rather lame, we had it in TLAD and GTA Online.

4 hours ago, Grotti Vigilante said:

Corrupt cops are some of the best characters in movies and what works well in action movies should work well in a GTA game, corrupt cops in some sense are the worst and also the most dangerous criminals, because they can use the legal system against their enemies and to cover their own actions, this is a great movie, set in Brazil:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_Squad

Edited by Aquamaniac

Grotti Vigilante
3 minutes ago, Aquamaniac said:

Corrupt cops are some of the best characters in movies and what works well in action movies should work well in a GTA game, corrupt cops in some sense are the worst and also the most dangerous criminals, because they can use the legal system against their enemies and to cover their own actions, this is a great movie, set in Brazil:

What works well in action movies won’t necessarily work in a GTA game though, and the whole point of GTA is not being this untouchable powerful criminal who has the legal system in his pocket. If that were the case there would be no need for the wanted level, cause the system is now at your disposal. No jeopardy or action in missions. Tommy Vercetti may have become top dog in Vice City, but the legal system still wasn’t in his control, and he is probably the most powerful protagonist in the GTA series. Same with Toni Cipriani. He and Salvatore may have the mayor in their pocket, but again the legal system still applies to him. Truth is, GTA is about being a criminal who rises up against all odds in the underworld. It’s not about some dirty cop who has criminal activity at risk.

Imagine how boring it would’ve been to play Tenpenny throughout San Andreas instead of getting CJ to do his work due to his badge being at risk? Tenpenny may seem like the perfect idea for a cop protagonist, because he had influence in the criminal underworld. But he wasn’t open with it, he got others to do his work because Tenpenny was still a cop and had to maintain that image. If he was so open with his activity by doing even half of what the other protagonists did, he’d lose his job, and that would mean he’s no longer a cop. Face it, a corrupt cop protagonist is mostly an idea for the sake of trying something different, not because it would make the game better. Undercover cop maybe, not corrupt active serving cop though.