3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Corrupt cop as a protagonist

Damien Scott

We've played as all kinds of criminals, such as gangsters, mobsters, contract killers, bank robbers, you name it. What about playing as a dirty cop? He could be similar to Vic Mackey(The Shield) or Alonzo Harris (Training Day) or even LT (Bad Lieutenant). You would be able to shake down drug dealers, steal money and drugs from crime scenes and dealer's houses. You'd be a gangster with a badge. It'd be something really refreshing. What do you think?

tumblr_mga2pqrAbU1r20f1fo1_500.gif

Edited by Damien Scott
  • Like 4

YamatheKreature47

This is from another post I made but--- Here's my ideal GTA game - A game set in the late 70s/early 80s just as cocaine starts to hit the streets of Vice City, and gangs fight for control of turf and product. Three characters again - A latino immigrant who moves to America like many chasing the American Dream, but gets caught up in a cartel/gang (kinda like Tony Montana). A made man in the mafia who is watching his organization slowly fall apart and lose control of the streets to the cartels and drugs (like Tony Soprano mixed with Tommy Vercetti). And then a rookie police officer who transitions into an undercover agent, but gets a taste for the life and becomes bad (like a better version of Donnie Brasco)

I'd like to see a corrupt cop just don't make him an undercover cop that's been done a bunch of times in movies and games and it's too much of a cliche.

If they do a corrupt cop he has to be a Narcotics detective going after drug dealers. He keeps some of the money from raids and even helps out a couple of drug lords. It would also open up a bunch of side missions and activities Drug raids, prisoner transport, investigations, conducting surveillance, dealing with street informants and snitches...

Gameplay would look like this

Manipulate your way to the top, tamper with Evidence, instead of running from the law you are the law.

It has to have multiple characters though to keep things interesting. Cop protagonist hunts down criminal protagonist.

Edited by Zello
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zello said:

It has to have multiple characters though to keep things interesting. Cop protagonist hunts down criminal protagonist.

It'd be better if they worked together imo. The cop protag could help the criminal one rise through the ranks of his organization by arresting/killing rivals, etc.

1 hour ago, Damien Scott said:

It'd be better if they worked together imo. The cop protag could help the criminal one rise through the ranks of his organization by arresting/killing rivals, etc.

Whether they work together or not can be dependent on player choices. (Not just for the final showdown but for a prolonged part of the game).

• Like 2

I’ve already posted this on a similar thread, but I actually despise the idea, whether it’s a regular police officer, FIB agent, or IAA agent. It would defeat the whole purpose of there being wanted level. Plus, I also think it would be kind of pushing it, considering a corrupt cop or federal agent is USUALLY worse than a mobster, gangster, outlaw, or biker imo as unlike those criminals, they actually have made a false obligation to society. I’m sure there are a few exceptions where  an individual criminal is worse but they are just that, exceptions. I hope for the series’s sake that this does NOT happen!

To keep it believable it has to be a local cop not an FIB federal agent. Local cops can get away with a lot of stuff at least for a while but the feds can't.

There must be at least 2 protagonists in that game (if GTA), I'd very much like R* to tackle the concept in a new IP. 

The Cop wil get away with some criminal acts based on his influence, rep in that part of city. (They can also integrate L.A. Noire esque interrogation system only with more brutality) 

On 4/26/2019 at 7:26 PM, Damien Scott said:

It's better if they're enemies.

A good cat and mouse chase makes some great drama.

Edited by Zello

Grotti Vigilante

The idea of a corrupt cop protagonist, like the female protagonist, is an idea that is well-intentioned in trying to do something new, but ultimately does not fit the GTA formula and cannot work. The cop one especially.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grotti Vigilante said:

The idea of a corrupt cop protagonist, like the female protagonist, is an idea that is well-intentioned in trying to do something new, but ultimately does not fit the GTA formula and cannot work. The cop one especially.

I can see why a female protag wouldn't work but a dirty cop definitely would imo. In the GTA series we play as criminals, from car thieves to hired killers, and a dirty cop is nothing more than a gangster with a badge. Having a badge means even more possibilities and crimes to commit.

9 hours ago, Zello said:

It's better if they're enemies.

A good cat and mouse chase makes some great drama.

Idk man, it wouldn't feel right having a protagonist trying to screw the other during the entire game.

I don't think it could work.Yeah,a cop can abuse his authority and knowledge of forensics to get away with something a civilian couldn't,but at the same time there's a lot of things that are normal gameplay features in GTA that no corrupt cop could get away with.I mean,imagine the protagonist having a shootout or a high speed chase with a bunch of other cops,and then showing up at the station the next day as if nothing happened,and none of the other cops recognizing him,it would make no sense.

3 hours ago, Damien Scott said:

Idk man, it wouldn't feel right having a protagonist trying to screw the other during the entire game.

That's how it is in the criminal world though. Everyone is trying to screw everyone else. They're not all buddy buddy.

51 minutes ago, GTA-Biker said:

I don't think it could work.Yeah,a cop can abuse his authority and knowledge of forensics to get away with something a civilian couldn't,but at the same time there's a lot of things that are normal gameplay features in GTA that no corrupt cop could get away with.I mean,imagine the protagonist having a shootout or a high speed chase with a bunch of other cops,and then showing up at the station the next day as if nothing happened,and none of the other cops recognizing him,it would make no sense.

I get it but since cops never recognize the protagonist it doesn't really matter. When you're blowing sh*t up and killing people, they say: ''We're in pursuit of a white/black male'' or ''the suspect is driving a sports car''. They never know your identity. Besides shootings/chases are not canon, unless in missions, of course.

On 5/4/2019 at 8:04 PM, Damien Scott said:

I get it but since cops never recognize the protagonist it doesn't really matter. When you're blowing sh*t up and killing people, they say: ''We're in pursuit of a white/black male'' or ''the suspect is driving a sports car''. They never know your identity. Besides shootings/chases are not canon, unless in missions, of course.

The reason they don't recognize the protagonist is because they've probably never seen him before.If it was a guy they've been seeing at work every day for years,they'd recognize him instantly.Also,every GTA has a bunch of missions with shootouts and chases with cops.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2019 at 4:21 AM, GTA-Biker said:

The reason they don't recognize the protagonist is because they've probably never seen him before.If it was a guy they've been seeing at work every day for years,they'd recognize him instantly.Also,every GTA has a bunch of missions with shootouts and chases with cops.

Details boy, the more details make us forget what is essential flawless story for 

the next GTA 6 pro.

Dirt Cops most of us hate the thought of this fools in CRASH San Andreas themed story , becoming the protagonist this time around.

Undercover dirt cops coming out as totally clean is lame boy, story and all.

For most players this is as unpopular as Tenpenny being the next CJ if it is 

that possibilities remain vague.

I've never cared much for the idea of a corrupt cop mc in gta but an iaa  agent would be interesting someone like toreno

• Like 1

This would be unique because it's never been done before. We can play as both criminal and the law. Very interesting.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Copcaller said:

I've never cared much for the idea of a corrupt cop mc in gta but an iaa  agent would be interesting someone like toreno

Yeah, a rogue IAA agent similar to Agent 14 would be really interesting. If you think about it, Agent 14 would be a great main character, he's smart, sarcastic, amoral and mysterious. He's got everything to be a GTA protagonist. I'd rather a dirty cop tho.

Edited by Damien Scott

An IAA agent would work better for Agent if that game ever releases. After V I've pretty much gotten sick of all the secret agent government sh*t.

I'd prefer a local dirty cop who is not involved with the feds at all. Maybe a couple missions helping the FIB take down a drug lord that you're also chasing but that should be it.

Edited by Zello

4 hours ago, Zello said:

An IAA agent would work better for Agent if that game ever releases. After V I've pretty much gotten sick of all the secret agent government sh*t.

I'd prefer a local dirty cop who is not involved with the feds at all. Maybe a couple missions helping the FIB take down a drug lord that you're also chasing but that should be it.

I actually like the spy stuff but yeah, they went a little too far in V. I'd rather a local dirty cop as well. 

It would have to be done in a multiple protagonist game or a storyline DLC. No way they'd devote the entire storyline of a main installment soley focusing on a corrupt cop.

Two protagonists, female hitman working for a shady organization and a crooked cop who's working on taking down this organization so he could go up in the corporation and retire early:

For the cop, things would go more or less like this:

-Police work wouldn't be 100% mandatory to advance the story, only a singular case here and there that lead to more clues about the organization, which would unlock more missions;

-Other cops can be called for backup by the crooked cop, but they will only help if he has solved enough cases or has jailed enough criminals, so the others would respect/fear him;

-The crooked cop can run secondary businesses, like his own criminal empire drug dealing business, car chop garages, car theft ring, brothels, etc...

-The cop can takedown anyone on the street and restrain them, but if they're innocent, they will scream for help...If nearby bystandards fear the cop enough, they won't do anything;

-The cop can shove the restrained individuals in any 4-door vehicle, if they want to artificially raise their respect they can incriminate the person they have restrained by planting any drugs on them and bringing them to HQ;

-You can do all of the above and even worse than that but discretion is required because your actions can draw a lot of attention and even hate from the community, fellow cops and journalists who are looking for their big break

-Eventually some journalists would start to ask questions about you, you can either "silence" or bribe them to not talk about your operations; 

-If the cop spots the hitman and vice-versa, they won't interact friendly but instead they will shoot each other on sight (the hitman wants the cop dead, the cop wants to caught the hitman to "extract" information from her) whoever dies respawns on the hospital;

-Eventually the hitman and the cop would cooperate after a certain point in the story, to take down the organization...They can eventually become friends as the story progresses.

I'm still working on the concept of a crooked cop getting a wanted level and being chased by his fellow work buddies, I think this is the hardest part of making the whole crooked cop concept belieable in GTA, since you need to have a wanted level...I know it can be done, but I'm not sure how.

If this wasnt clear enough, you can straight up make the crooked cop a villain in the game.

Edited by Pedinhuh
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pedinhuh said:

-Police work wouldn't be 100% mandatory to advance the story, only a singular case here and there that lead to more clues about the organization, which would unlock more missions;

-Other cops can be called for backup by the crooked cop, but they will only help if he has solved enough cases or has jailed enough criminals, so the others would respect/fear him;

-The crooked cop can run secondary businesses, like his own criminal empire drug dealing business, car chop garages, car theft ring, brothels, etc...

-The cop can takedown anyone on the street and restrain them, but if they're innocent, they will scream for help...If nearby bystandards fear the cop enough, they won't do anything;

-The cop can shove the restrained individuals in any 4-door vehicle, if they want to artificially raise their respect they can incriminate the person they have restrained by planting any drugs on them and bringing them to HQ;

-You can do all of the above and even worse than that but discretion is required because your actions can draw a lot of attention and even hate from the community, fellow cops and journalists who are looking for their big break

-Eventually some journalists would start to ask questions about you, you can either "silence" or bribe them to not talk about your operations; 

These are great ideas.

22 hours ago, Damien Scott said:

These are great ideas.

Well, in theory at least...I think the whole bit with journalists could be not very welcomed by the community, but I would appreciate it a lot as it makes sense that a crooked cop wouldn't want to draw attention to himself.

I'm quite sure R* can pull it off, hell at some times in L.A. Noire you could almost go this way with Cole Phelps...But he had to be a good guy in the end, I wish he got fully corrupted in the end by looking at how his life flipped upside down.

All in all, I think all of this could work with GTA, because R* tried to subvert a lot of common spectations within the game series when they made V: Whole map unlocked from the start, map not separated by islands, multiple protagonists, two main characters aren't strangers to the city and you play as them from the get-go, storyline revolves around two middle aged criminals, the token black guy and third wheel of a protagonist actually does NOT want to be a gangbanger because he knows how that sh*t is pointless nowadays, special abilities for each protagonist, one main protagonist completely subverts all common tropes and spectations about a GTA protagonist, the main protagonist of the story is middle aged, married with two kids....

...So how about more subversions? Crooked cop and a female hitman would fit right in. Just don't go all Game of Thrones season 7-8 on it and we're golden.

My only concern here is the wanted level, I can't think of a way to make it belieable within the GTA world...No problem for the female hitman though, she can just work for another corrupt federal agent or a higher-up in the local police, then work for the crooked cop himself...But for the crooked cop himself that is quite hard to make it belieable.

Edited by Pedinhuh

Grotti Vigilante

I don’t think the above ideas are necessarily bad, but they don’t belong in GTA. The game is called Grand Theft Auto, which implies being a criminal. Not many others will really want to be doing police work on such a grand scale. I think Most Wanted and Vigilante missions are as far as it should go, and in fact they’re technically still illegal, so you’re still a criminal. A good compromise.

With the ideas presented, it’d be best to just do a new game all together and make it linear like L.A. Noire. Then you’d have more creative freedoms instead of being confined to a mainstream video game title that has a loyal fan base (well, to an extent at least). GTA Online has been criticised for going too much like Saints Row, often regarded itself as a GTA Clone (much as I detest the term). So if you detract even further on that path then Rockstar are going to have a lot flack thrown at them.

• 2 weeks later...

On True Crime Streets of New York I played as dirty cop from the beginning of the game as my first run.

That game had a GOAT music selection too.

And so did it's predecesor True Crime Streets of LA.

Edited by Agent 14