1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Display Name

Hard Mode

Display Name
Posted (edited)

Original Red Dead Redemption had hard mode added in the GOTY edition. What would you like to see changed in hard mode if Rockstar ever decided to add it? Personally I would love to see survival mechanics to be more highlighted. Faster core depletion, maybe hunger meter? Besides that, the obvious stuff like more damage taken, saving only possible when sleeping in a bed. Perhaps ability to get ill for a debuff? Illness "mechanic" was there only for story related reasons, so that's kind of a waste.

Make sure to send this suggestion to Rockstar if you want to see it.

Edited by Display Name

happygrowls

I imagine it would be ideal for Online to get a hardcore mode with only free-aim and more hunger, to really give it the survival elements. But it would work for Singleplayer also.

Forces no HUD, free-aim, enemies and you take one bullet to the head to die. Basically making it a hardcore experience.

If Rockstar reaaaally wanted, they could add permadeath that restarts you back at Horseshoe in Chapter 2.

DEADWOODZ
Posted (edited)

I'm acc really diggin those types of aspects to be in the game, that sort of stuff would keep me going for a long time...like you needing to set up camps to keep on top of food and sleep!

Edited by DEADWOODZ

SneakyDeaky

I'm dying for a hardcore mode. I'll explain why and I'm probably going to be a little long-winded, sorry.

I have some issures with Crafting and the economy, and it's a little disappointing, as all the mechanics are there for a very deep crafting system, and when combined with the weather effects and the health and fatigue system, everything is there for a serious survival game, but none of it is fleshed out or has any real bearing on the game.

Why should I craft split-point ammo when I can buy 400 rounds of Express ammo for a few bucks? Why should I hunt for food when I can buy food so easily from a store I robbed the day before? Why is the store owner even serving me? And why buy any food or ammo anyway when I can find them in abundance in cabins scattered everywhere on the map?

I'm not saying get rid of things to scavenge, or get rid of access to stores, but I argue things should be a lot more difficult to obtain, and ammo and food should be cherished, and then the crafting system would feel more important.

Here is how I would do it:

Ammo is twice the price in stores.
Express ammo and other fancy ammo are illegal in stores. (Even if they were not in reality)
You have to craft special ammo or buy it from a fence.
The ammo in the fence is very expensive.
After attacking a store/bar in town, the town is in lock-down for a long time, losing you access to easy food and ammo.
Forcing you to use the crafting system and hunt for food, not just skins for fancy outfits. 
Less ammo from dead bodies and less ammo in cabins/locations.
When a town is in lock-down, bounty hunters spawn around the town constantly, keeping you away, unless you want the challenge fighting them.
Weather effects have more affect on Arthur forcing you to take shelter when in the Grizzlies if you don't want Arthur to freeze.
When it's really hot you have to change clothes or Arthur feels even more slow and sluggish.

But drinking drinks will cool him down for a little.
A lot of the eating/drinking/smoking animations should be longer. They all look very nice!
Sometimes stores will just be out of stock, so your sh*t out of luck.

However new stock will be delivered regularly, giving you opportunities to hijack them for food and ammo.
Guns are not found so easily in the world, or the ones you find are in terrible condition and can't just be cleaned. 

But you can't just buy one in any store. In RDR 1 you went to different stores for different weapons, I preferred that system.

Some of these suggestions are perhaps too realistic or too unrealistic or annoying busy work. But it would make the game a lot more survival based. And it would just be a hardcore mode separate from the vanilla experience.

DEADWOODZ
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, SneakyDeaky said:

Weather effects have more affect on Arthur forcing you to take shelter when in the Grizzlies if you don't want Arthur to freeze.

I really do wish we had gotten the option to button, un-button our coats. something just feels off going up The Grizzlies with Arthur's winter coat all open and sh*t.

Also double layering on clothes should effect stamina in a big way, especially when in the south!

But yeah, taking shelter when in those blizzards & other weather conditions as such sounds very immersive!

Edited by DEADWOODZ

SneakyDeaky
On 4/22/2019 at 8:32 PM, DEADWOODZ said:

I really do wish we had gotten the option to button, un-button our coats. something just feels off going up The Grizzlies with Arthur's winter coat all open and sh*t.

Also double layering on clothes should effect stamina in a big way, especially when in the south!

But yeah, taking shelter when in those blizzards & other weather conditions as such sounds very immersive!

I think it's strangely relaxing to sit in a camp and just craft ammo and medicine, drink coffee and read Arthur's diary.

I loved the blizzard in the Prologue, that whole section has real polish to it and feels like its own unique experience. I'd love to experience the whole map like that, in some form of a cheat, like the snow in GTA 5 at christmas, but not online only lol.