Official PS5 Topic

Jason

13 hours ago, KarimNTerr said:

Been wondering what differences the DS5 will have from PS4's DS4. Maybe they'll just rework the touchpad?

They better not butcher the L2 and R2 triggers.

• Like 2

For the PS3 we had a few PS2 remasters, for PS4 we have a lot of PS1 remakes... I think that for PS5 will have many PS3 remasters/remakes

What y'all think?

• Like 2

xe3hUFK.png

• 1 month later...
ṼirulenⱦEqừinox

How true are the BC rumors?

Grichka Bogdanoff
1 hour ago, ṼirulenⱦEqừinox said:

How true are the BC rumors?

PS4 bc is confirmed, official and all. The rest (PS1, Ps2 and PS3 bc) are just some baseless rumors.

a Hideo Kojima post.

Edited by Hideo Kojima

• 1 month later...

There were rumors that the PS5 get it reveal in February. 

What do you guys think?

Could also the Corona Virus delay the announcment and the release date of the PS5. I think the chances are good that the Virus will delay a lot of things including NG.

Hoping a truly decent open world racer comes out with the PS5 because Im a sony guy at heart and dont want to get an xbox like I had to do for current gen. 

Grichka Bogdanoff
11 hours ago, el carlitos said:

There were rumors that the PS5 get it reveal in February. 

What do you guys think?

Could also the Corona Virus delay the announcment and the release date of the PS5. I think the chances are good that the Virus will delay a lot of things including NG.

Rumors are rumors. Most likely they were based on the last PS event that took place in Feb around six years ago or something. I don't think the coronavirus has anything to do with it (yet), they're probably still planning if they want to reveal all the console's features and price now or just show off what's capable off just like MS did at TGA 2019. We'll see. I hope we get to hear more about it by the end of the month or so. 

a Hideo Kojima post.

11 hours ago, Hideo Kojima said:

Rumors are rumors. Most likely they were based on the last PS event that took place in Feb around six years ago or something. I don't think the coronavirus has anything to do with it (yet), they're probably still planning if they want to reveal all the console's features and price now or just show off what's capable off just like MS did at TGA 2019. We'll see. I hope we get to hear more about it by the end of the month or so. 

a Hideo Kojima post.

Thank you Mr.Kojima for your profesional opinion.

So lets wait and see.

Edited by el carlitos
  • YEE 1

• 3 weeks later...

I hope online play is free. I really don't want to pay for a PS plus subscription.

Cosmic Gypsy
On 3/10/2020 at 6:51 PM, Zello said:

I hope online play is free. I really don't want to pay for a PS plus subscription.

Never gonna happen, lol.

Mister Pink

Yeah I'm really looking forward to see what the PS5 is going to be like. First of all, design. If it's mimics anything like the prototypes/dev kits, it will be interesting to say the least. In terms of power and performance, it looks like the Series X might beat in GPU performance, if reports are correct, but I imagine the end output will be very similar. There's talk that PS will have faster loading times vs Series X, slightly slower loading times but better GPU. Time will tell. 

But we know the first-party titles will utilize the Playstation capabilities to the max and graphically, games will be the beautiful. 

Herman Hulst, Head of Worldwide Gaming wrote on Sony blog: 

We’re very committed to dedicated hardware, as we were before. We’re gonna continue to do that. And we’re very committed to quality exclusives. And to strong narrative-driven, single-player games. At the same time, we’re going to be very open to experimentation, to new ideas. Just trying things out to see what works. I think that’s also very much part of the DNA of Worldwide Studios.

Source

Might not be news, given that's what was the strong point on PS5. I thought I heard this gen that PS was going to focus more on multiplayer games as well. So, I'm not sure. Sony are being so vague, and tight-lipped.

Interestingly he mentions they are open to experimentation. So who  knows what that could bring?  

I just hope they bring back The Getaway.

• Like 4

I hope they show us the new controller DS5. I’m more curious about that than the looks of the console itself. 

• Like 3

The marketing for this thing has been a disaster so far. Everything released so far about the PS5 (including the presentation today) has been geared towards the developers. 

Like, does Sony even intend to show off the PS5 for the consumers? By this time around in 2013 we saw a lot more of the PS4. I'm getting annoyed now.

• Like 3

Yep, marketing disaster from Sony thus far. Microsoft are sweeping the floor with them and that's without even comparing the actual hardware specs. We've still not even officially seen the console or the controller and where as MS have already got a launch title announced (Halo), Sony are still holding their cards to their chest on that front.

Which speaking of, Sony seems to be playing an interesting game. Seems like they're gambling on the this hyper fast SSD being the big game changer where as Xbox is going for raw power while still having a fast SSD.

My guess? Xbox will be the best place to play multi platform games on console next gen, at least for a few years. No way is the SSD tech gonna be figured out by devs instantly, I'm guessing it's going to be ages before we really start to see the impact of SSD's in game design beyond quicker load times.

• Like 2

TheSantader25

I Think Sony are taking a big gamble. One that may collapse upon them. Is a much more powerful SSD really necessary in opposition to raw power? I don't think so. Microsoft's already fast enough IMO. We have always seen that raw power usually is a big winning factor in this rivalry and Sony are basically doing the opposite of what they do best(except for their mid-gen consoles). Not mention Microsoft's far better backward compatibility. 

As for the price I expect their console to be 100$ cheaper than Microsoft's which is gonna be interesting cause no one has introduced a price yet and if Microsoft manage to push their price close to Sony's that basically is gonna be the final nail in the coffin. It might hurt them initially but will definitely be advantageous in the long run. 

As for me, thus far I'm kinda devastated. After PS2, I went for Xbox 360 in the 7th gen but switched to PS4 in current gen. So far I may have to go for another generation of Microsoft. One that I'm not particularly fond of cause Sony's exclusives are always a big influence for me and this dilemma f*cking sucks. 

Edited by TheSantader25
  • Like 3

For years my worry for Sony was that they'd get up to their old tricks, which is they dominate a generation, get confident and do something silly like try a little too hard. We saw that with the PS3, now we're potentially seeing it here. Raw CPU/GPU power is going to be easier for devs to take advantage of and while yea in theory the PS5's SSD has a lot of potential (again tho, it's not like the XSX SSD is bad) there's no way we're going to be seeing devs use anywhere near it's full potential for quite possibly the entire generation. Cerny talked about it opening new doors game design wise and yes that may be true, but devs learning how take advantage of it is gonna take a while.

It doesn't help that some of that talk felt like them trying to basically say "TFLOP's don't matter lul"  - which is true, TFLOP's being used as a unit to compare power is silly, but it definitely seemed like there was at least a hint of damage control going on after Xbox's reveal earlier in the week.

Also if Konami sell their most valuable IP's they might as well shut up shop. I feel that rumour is very much another "Sony rumoured to be in talks to take over Take-Two". It screams of someone just trying to dream up their perfect Sony acquisition to me in response to Microsoft buying up studios but eh.

• Like 3

Adam Jensen
Just now, Jason said:

Cerny talked about it opening new doors game design wise and yes that may be true, but devs learning how take advantage of it is gonna take a while.

The point of the ultra fast SSD seems to be to allow the devs more design freedom. They won't have to worry about designing levels with loading in mind. That shouldn't be difficult to take advantage of since all they have to do is let their creativity run wild.

New doors opening up means new problems, problems like that don't get solved over night. There's going to be a lot of really cool stuff possible with the SSD's for sure but I highly doubt we'll see full use of it in the first few years of the new consoles.

The SSD's are going to be huge for the new consoles but I am simply sceptical that the PS5's faster SSD is actually going to that big for the PS5 at least in the first few years which is potentially troubling for Sony now that the specs are out there as the SSD seems to be the only thing the PS5 has over the Series X on paper power wise.

Sony's play right now seems to be "we have the exclusives", which is a nice card to have in your deck for sure, but being the best place to play multi-plat titles is also extremely important for many people - Sony didn't roll out the whole "the most powerful console ever" stuff for the PS4 for no reason.

Adam Jensen
6 minutes ago, Jason said:

New doors opening up means new problems, problems like that don't get solved over night. There's going to be a lot of really cool stuff possible with the SSD's for sure but I highly doubt we'll see full use of it in the first few years of the new consoles.

The SSD's are going to be huge for the new consoles but I am simply sceptical that the PS5's faster SSD is actually going to that big for the PS5 at least in the first few years which is potentially troubling for Sony now that the specs are out there as the SSD seems to be the only thing the PS5 has over the Series X on paper power wise.

Sony's play right now seems to be "we have the exclusives", which is a nice card to have in your deck for sure, but being the best place to play multi-plat titles is also extremely important for many people - Sony didn't roll out the whole "the most powerful console ever" stuff for the PS4 for no reason.

This is why they have to show us some great first party titles. People need to see what the PS5 is capable of, and it has to impress. Right now, it's difficult to win over anyone other than hardcore PS crowd. And even they can see that the new Xbox is significantly more powerful.

Edited by DareYokel

Aye, they need to show games running on the hardware for sure, show us the benefits of the SSD.

The way they've revealed this console has been terrible really. There's rumours that HZD 2 is a launch title, or close to launch. If so... show us. The other day I literally watched someone put together an Xbox Series X, live demo one of the cool new features (multi game resume), show us the controller and what's new. Sony need to get the ball rolling too. Difficult time to give people hands on impressions obviously but I'm sure they can whip something up.

• Like 2

Mister Pink

Well, I logged on to the event live. It wasn't consumer-friendly at all. I know this was an event originally intended for devs, but why not market the reveal as just that? I thought that conference could have been delivered online to anyone in the industry that wanted access to it but in tandem did a more celebratory game-centric presentation.  I do empathize, it's not very easy situation at all. With this pandemic and Xbox's full reveal, it kind of forced their hand to come out. Would waiting longer to reveal been to their benefit? Perhaps. At least seeing the controller, the console and a launch game could have distracted negative coverage about power/performance.  

Even if there is a difference in performance in the consoles, it wont matter to the much to the average PS fan. SIE I'm sure will utilize the box as much as it can and games will look and perform great. Having the less powerful console this gen for me wasn't that bad at all until RDR2. RD2 is still beautiful regardless, but it's waay prettier on PS4. But, for the most part, games probably wont look too dissimilar from each other. Some of you will prefer the PS controller/UI and online services that will make up for any perceived shortcomings - well, it did for me on Xbox. 

We got an awful launch and a not-so-powerful console on generation that wasn't a great leap to begin with. Xbox One felt like a poor mid-cycle refresh at times. But with Game Pass, BC, and 2 free BC games as well as current-gen games per-month, Forza, Halo, and one or two other titles, the overall gaming experience was good but not great. 

Both PS5 and Xbox seem like a real leap this time round. Time to upgrade to a 4K TV, I think. Haven't done the TV/Console combo upgrade since jumping from PS2/Xbox to 360. 

https://wccftech.com/df-ps5s-variable-clocks-will-force-devs-to-make-choices-only-1st-party-will-truly-utilize-ssds-speed/

This article basically sums up my thoughts on the PS5. First party may come up with some really cool ways to take advantage of the PS5's SSD but multi platform titles, you'd expect, will look and play best on the Xbox.

Saying all that, Sony's first party are wizards so I'm sure they're going to be making some of the best looking games out there and with the ability to take full advantage of the SSD, I am very interested to see what they do.

Price will be another interesting thing too. Lot of people thinking $400 because it has lower specs than the XSX but that SSD may bump the price up and I hear they've been struggling to get certain parts or something for cheap? May end up being $450-$500, which would be oof if the XSX is around there.

LittleJesus

How can you leave (Horizon Zero Dawn, Ratchet & Clank, Spider-Man, God of War, Days Gone) sequels behind? Not to mention posible new IPs from Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Media Molecule & Japan Studio. Console power is nothing compared with high quality exclusives... 

• Like 3

Because multi plats are incredibly important for many, many people. Lot of people are going to be wanting the best place to play the next Witcher, the next GTA, etc. MS have also made a very public showing of how much they're investing in first party, sure it's still very early days for them but there is a lot of optimism around it. Couple that with services like Games Pass and the idea of leaving behind Sony exclusives for some people is potentially not going to be such a difficult choice.

A lot of people pick their consoles because their friends picked it too, which often means the best place to play multiplayer is the go-to console and all the most popular multiplayer titles are multi plat.

I say all this as someone who will end up with both consoles cause I really want to play the sequels to Spider-Man, HZD etc, but right now, Xbox Series X looks like the best deal on paper. Still plenty of time for that to change, prices have yet to be revealed, Sony may pull out some amazing launch exclusives (HZD2 is rumoured, Spider-Man 2 rumoured for 2021) and some big upgrades to their services but so far their messaging around next-gen has been woeful.

There's a reason MS and Sony have both heavily used the tagline of having the most powerful console in the past, it genuinely matters to people.

3 hours ago, Mister Pink said:

Well, I logged on to the event live. It wasn't consumer-friendly at all. I know this was an event originally intended for devs, but why not market the reveal as just that?

I mean, they did. They were upfront about the fact that it was a deep dive into the architecture of the PS5 that they had intended to show at GDC (they even reiterated that at the beginning of the presentation)

Anyways, this has got me excited, not just for the possibility of no loading screens, but it also opens up the ability to implement ideas and such that relate to the full vision of certain devs that couldn’t be earlier due to limitations. I remember that Horizon Zero Dawn was originally gonna have the ability of flight but it had to be cut due to bottleneck issues. It felt like Spider-Man and the speed at which you could swing had to ultimately be capped due to difficulties with the hardware to load the city fast enough.

Overall, that, and that 3D audio they’re putting focus on has got me actually looking forward to it. I will say that I find it interesting, and cool how it seems like Microsoft and Sony have taken pretty different strategies, it’s cool to see unfold

For anyone interested, here’s Digital Foundry’s analysis on things

Edited by Dbzk1999

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.