4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
UnexpectedParole

John's/Arthur's Bounty in Black water

UnexpectedParole

So in going through a reply to a different thread, I had the realization that R* doesn't make any sense. <I know that should not be a shocker.> But I'm new to them. lol

But has it occurred to anyone that when the Epilogue starts John no longer has a bounty in Blackwater? Or one in West Elizabeth south of The River for that matter? Yet Arthur did?

Why is that? Arthur was not even with the gang when they robbed the Ferry. John was there and even traded bullets with lawmen.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that Milton didn't even know who John was at the Shady Bell confrontation.

How do we reconcile that it is Arthur who can't go to Blackwater due to a $5000 bounty for something he didn't even do, but presumably John can?

mde2
Posted (edited)

Well firstly I think you misunderstand the difference between the bounty and the whole "being blocked off from West Elizabeth/Blackwater" thing (whatever you want to call it). The area is on lockdown and there are cops and bounty hunters patrolling the area which is why Arthur cannot go through the area. They're actively hunting down the gang members of the group that just committed a massacre.

It's generally assumed that John still has his bounty (hence why Ross can grab John by the balls in RDR1). With this in mind, the answer is pretty clear. John still has his bounty which is why he uses an alias, however the lockdown of the area is no longer in effect which is why John can hang out in the area and is more or less not actively hunted down.

"How come no one recognizes John, especially when he does the Blackwater bounties where he goes into the police station?" you maybe thinking. Well, pretty simple answer there too. Rockstar logic. It's a game, best not to overthink things. Like in any media compromises have to be made in order to make the experience of consuming that media actually enjoyable.

In answer to your question regarding why Arthur has a bounty? I believe its just a case of guilt by association. Of course there's a lot we don't know about Blackwater and unless there is a DLC or piece of media released that gives further information regarding the events surrounding it we will honestly just never know.

Edited by mde2

UnexpectedParole

So If I'm understanding your response, "Wanted Dead or Alive" for Arthur in chapters 1-6 is not extended to John Marston in Ep 1&2 because too much time has passed and the Pinkertons and Law enforcement folk have stopped the high intensity search and destroy after all of these years.

I guess I can follow that.

However saying the Bounty for John in the Epilogues is assumed doesn't jive.

And maybe the answer is just that R* screwed up.

But if John had a bounty in Blackwater during the chapters, then there is no good reason not to start with a bounty in The epilogues. And there is no Bounty. 

I'm less worried about why John isn't recognized when the bounty is lifted- since it clearly is. Than why John wasn't recognized in the cut scenes at Shady Bell. Where he gives a smart mouthed answer as to who he is.  Maybe John didn't fall on the Pinkerton/ law radar until after the San Denis Bank robbery? And he became more of an issue after the Siska escape and the end story Train Robbery?

But again that is very weak of R* since during the Ferry at Blackwater he would have traded bullets with policemen. And we know that results in a bounty. Maybe the bounty was out on John for Blackwater, Milton just didn't know what he looked like yet? -Especially considering the scar which was new?

I don't buy that the only reason John was followed by the cops to Beecher's Hope was the shooting of Micah. Cornwall was paying them to find the gang and put them all down. the scene on the mountain could just have been the Pinkertons verifying that they didn't need to search for Micah anymore. I think they followed John to Beecher's Hope because it was easier to find him once he stopped trying to hide unlike Javier and Bill and Dutch for example.

Oldsport

technically john had a bounty every where. for the st denis bank robbery, escaping prison and the shootout with the pinkertons. if rockstar made it that he kept the bountys throughout the story then hed only be free to roam new austin. and i think they laid off of him because agent milton died, he was the one really pursuing the gang at first

crazedZ10
On 4/16/2019 at 8:12 PM, UnexpectedParole said:

So If I'm understanding your response, "Wanted Dead or Alive" for Arthur in chapters 1-6 is not extended to John Marston in Ep 1&2 because too much time has passed and the Pinkertons and Law enforcement folk have stopped the high intensity search and destroy after all of these years.

I guess I can follow that.

However saying the Bounty for John in the Epilogues is assumed doesn't jive.

And maybe the answer is just that R* screwed up.

But if John had a bounty in Blackwater during the chapters, then there is no good reason not to start with a bounty in The epilogues. And there is no Bounty. 

I'm less worried about why John isn't recognized when the bounty is lifted- since it clearly is. Than why John wasn't recognized in the cut scenes at Shady Bell. Where he gives a smart mouthed answer as to who he is.  Maybe John didn't fall on the Pinkerton/ law radar until after the San Denis Bank robbery? And he became more of an issue after the Siska escape and the end story Train Robbery?

But again that is very weak of R* since during the Ferry at Blackwater he would have traded bullets with policemen. And we know that results in a bounty. Maybe the bounty was out on John for Blackwater, Milton just didn't know what he looked like yet? -Especially considering the scar which was new?

I don't buy that the only reason John was followed by the cops to Beecher's Hope was the shooting of Micah. Cornwall was paying them to find the gang and put them all down. the scene on the mountain could just have been the Pinkertons verifying that they didn't need to search for Micah anymore. I think they followed John to Beecher's Hope because it was easier to find him once he stopped trying to hide unlike Javier and Bill and Dutch for example.

I believe no one in the gang had a bounty in blackwater apart from Dutch. But the reason they don't go is because it's almost certain they'd get recognised. If you try going to the great plains as arthur the pinkertons say "that man's with Van Der Linde"