Roman is actually a horrible character

Opinion on Roman  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Is Roman horrible?

• Yes, he's terrible
    • No, he's a great character
    • Neutral. Don't love him, don't hate him either

Son of Zeus

Throughout the game he actually does nothing except crack sh*tty jokes,  get himself captured and then complain how Niko has ruined his life. 

Seriously why do people like Roman? Despite being beat up and humiliated so many times,  he continues acting like a clown.

Jacob is funny too but at least he helps Niko out in various ways. 

Roman might be one of the worst characters in the series tbh. 

American Venom
11 minutes ago, Son of Zeus said:

Roman might be one of the worst characters in the series tbh. 

He's still better than CJ.

Son of Zeus
15 minutes ago, American Venom said:

He's still better than CJ.

C'mon man, answer it seriously. 

TheSantader25

I found him a very good character. IV needed more characters like him who could lighten the mood a bit. 

billiejoearmstrong8

Being a likeable character and being a good character are two different things

American Venom
4 hours ago, Son of Zeus said:

C'mon man, answer it seriously. 

I did answer it seriously though.

Neon_Dreaming

I like him, he's a flawed person no doubt, but that just adds depth to him, he tries his best but the gambling and the lies catch up to him. 

I think he is right to be angry with Niko, Roman was in sh*t with the Albanians and Vlad and while Niko did help him out he also esclated the conflict, being tied up in Bulgarins basement must have been terrifying. Granted there was no easy solution to Roman's debts but I can still see why he's angry with Niko.

I also like the comic relief he provides, from bowling with cousin to Stephanie and Barbara, he adds some much needed levity to the grim proceedings of IV.

ThatKyloRenGuy
Posted (edited)

I LOVE Roman! He's my favorite character in all of GTA IV/EFLC behind his younger cousin, Niko Bellic and Little Jacob! :) I've said it b4 but I'll say it again, I have a younger male cousin who is basically to me as Niko is to Roman. In other words, a bit of a smartass, but I still like him a lot. Must be a younger male cousin thing, lol. I also love how Roman is so caring towards Niko. They're almost like brothers, even though they're cousins.

Edited by ThatKyloRenGuy

American Venom
8 minutes ago, Neon_Dreaming said:

I like him, he's a flawed person no doubt, but that just adds depth to him, he tries his best but the gambling and the lies catch up to him. 

I think he is right to be angry with Niko, Roman was in sh*t with the Albanians and Vlad and while Niko did help him out he also esclated the conflict, being tied up in Bulgarins basement must have been terrifying. Granted there was no easy solution to Roman's debts but I can still see why he's angry with Niko.

I also like the comic relief he provides, from bowling with cousin to Stephanie and Barbara, he adds some much needed levity to the grim proceedings of IV.

You mean Faustin's basement.😉

I like his dynamic with Niko. Clearly R* wanted Niko to be the realist of the two, but Roman offsets that perfectly with his optimism. It just makes their bond stronger through the highs and lows they both experience.

xXPinguXx

nah, Roman is a fine character imo. 

I guess only people who didn't like him picked the Deal ending...

Son of Zeus
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, American Venom said:

I did answer it seriously though.

Why mention CJ here? Thread is about Roman is a good character or not. 

Edited by Son of Zeus

Jeansowaty

images.png

How can someone NOT like Mr. Fatman, the Janitor on the Bowling Alleys? :P

mde2
Posted (edited)

Roman is fine. Doing friend dates with him humanizes Niko in a way no other character does and I'd even go as far as to say they have the best chemistry out of the entire series. What is especially interesting is the juxtaposition between them. For examples of both of those things look no further than this example

If you want sh*tty, annoying characters you can hang out with/have a presence throughout the entire game, lets start with Brucie or Dwayne.

Edited by mde2

Big_Smiley
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

I found him a very good character. IV needed more characters like him who could lighten the mood a bit. 

Vanilla IV had Roman and Brucie. No matter how many dark things Niko always had in his mind, Brucie always did put a smile on his face and made him laugh every now and then. It's what Niko needed from the beginning of his story after his horrifying past in the war.

TLAD's Johnny didn't have anyone in particular (besides Ashley who was a damn drug addict) but he did have his closest brothers who always had his back no matter what. Not couting those asshats Billy and Brian. Jim, Terry, and Clay made Johnny's life easier to live. Even after Jims death Terry and Clay always had is back. They all made jokes together before going into massive shoouts with rival gang members as if it was their last time alive with each other. Even though what the circumstances were during their lifetime as motorcycle outlaws, they still kept on smiling and laughing while "letting the good times roll". Going to bars and drinking with Terry and Clay was a perfect example of this.

Luis aka LuLu has to have the most light hearted story out of the three. He practically doesn't lose anyone close to him. And no matter how much Enrique and Armando drive him nuts, he still loves his knuckleheads from his childhood past and always have his back during drug wars. Then Tony's weird lookin ass came back to LS in V and ruined everything with that sh*t nightclub DLC, lmao.

Edited by Big_Smiley

TheFireMZL

Did he called for you to go bowling with him for 999999 times ?

confederatestatesgta

i think roman is one of the best characters in the game. he is very funny. and he was nikos only friend when he arrived. niko was very lucky to have a connection when he got to lc. roman was not so fortunate. in the romans holiday mission he tells niko about what he had to do when he got there. its kind of sad. and while niko was not greeted with sports cars, mansions or beautiful women. but at least he had a roof over his head. and he had a job. and roman even gets him working for jacob. roman did so much for niko.

Son of Zeus
2 hours ago, confederatestatesgta said:

i think roman is one of the best characters in the game. he is very funny. and he was nikos only friend when he arrived. niko was very lucky to have a connection when he got to lc. roman was not so fortunate. in the romans holiday mission he tells niko about what he had to do when he got there. its kind of sad. and while niko was not greeted with sports cars, mansions or beautiful women. but at least he had a roof over his head. and he had a job. and roman even gets him working for jacob. roman did so much for niko.

I didn't find him remotely funny. Maybe a bit in the beginning but his constant 'titties' and bowling humour got annoying fast. Could've given him more to do.  

American Venom
16 hours ago, Son of Zeus said:

Why mention CJ here? Thread is about Roman is a good character or not. 

Because you said he's one of the worst characters in the series and I disagreed with a worse one.

American Venom

Am I the only one who feels this thread should've been made in the series chat forum to get a broader range of views? I mean it's pretty stupid to ask such a question about a beloved GTA IV character in the GTA IV FORUM.

Let this be a lesson kiddies in all time backfires.:)

Son of Zeus
55 minutes ago, American Venom said:

Am I the only one who feels this thread should've been made in the series chat forum to get a broader range of views? I mean it's pretty stupid to ask such a question about a beloved GTA IV character in the GTA IV FORUM.

Let this be a lesson kiddies in all time backfires.:)

Nothing has backfired. Just wanted to see if some IV fans had a different view of him.

Edited by Son of Zeus

iiCriminnaaL 49

He's a fun character, but I've never cared that much about him to be honest.

But anyway, I don't think that he's among the worst characters in the series. Not when characters like Trevor Philips, Wade Hebert, Amanda Townley, Tracey Townley, Jimmy Townley, Mori Kibbutz, Evan Moss, Yusuf Amir, and such exist.

Edited by iiCriminnaaL 49

Soggy biscuits

He's definitely not a bad character lol. He is a retard and does complain a lot, but he was pretty damn funny at some parts of the game (especially for new players).

SpaceRaven

I think he is a great character hear me out

He can't really help niko in terms of combat. But what he does do for niko is get him a new apartment, 2 actually. Saved his ass because he had mallorie, offered him to give him a job at the start of the game and he also can get you a cab! and you get to hear the nice charismatic cab driver. I kinda like the moments where he turns pessimistic then into a optimist, makes him seem real.

I don't think he is a retard, i mean he managed to rebuild his business after it all collapsed in hove beach.

Prayag 97
On 4/15/2019 at 6:18 PM, xXPinguXx said:

nah, Roman is a fine character imo. 

I guess only people who didn't like him picked the Deal ending...

Not really, I like Roman and I mostly always pick the Deal ending because I really like the final showdown between Niko and his arch-nemesis Dimitri Rascalov.

Watching Niko taunt Dimitri as Dimitri succumbs to gunshot wounds feels deserving after all Dimitri has ever done to Niko was pretend to be a friend,lie, betray, use him, burn the house and most importantly HURT Niko's cousin and friends.

I like the Revenge ending too, visiting Platypus again and taking out Dimitri in a pretty cool manner and headshotting Jimmy P after insulting his joke of an organization.

American Venom
13 hours ago, Son of Zeus said:

Nothing has backfired. Just wanted to see if some IV fans had a different view of him.

I don't know too many GTA IV fans who dislike him.

I mean it's kinda hard to. He's a likeable buffoon.

silly_nate

If you no like Roman, you no like big American titties :harrumph:

Son of Zeus
8 hours ago, American Venom said:

I don't know too many GTA IV fans who dislike him.

I mean it's kinda hard to. He's a likeable buffoon.

Depends on whether you like his humour or not i suppose.

billiejoearmstrong8

Like, the biiig American teeeties thing and bowling etc is mentioned a lot, but he isn't just a complete clown. Through the story and hanging out with him there's a lot of serious moments as well. He's an annoyance to Niko in some ways, but he's also the close friend that Niko needs and does plenty to help him too. I think he's a good and well rounded character, is key to the story and acts as a balance to Niko by adding fun and optimism to the game. They make a great pair and have interesting and entertaining chemistry.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8

ThatKyloRenGuy
On 4/18/2019 at 4:19 PM, Prayag 97 said:

Not really, I like Roman and I mostly always pick the Deal ending because I really like the final showdown between Niko and his arch-nemesis Dimitri Rascalov.

Watching Niko taunt Dimitri as Dimitri succumbs to gunshot wounds feels deserving after all Dimitri has ever done to Niko was pretend to be a friend,lie, betray, use him, burn the house and most importantly HURT Niko's cousin and friends.

I like the Revenge ending too, visiting Platypus again and taking out Dimitri in a pretty cool manner and headshotting Jimmy P after insulting his joke of an organization.

I remember you reading about it and liking it in the past, but there’s always me/Jeansowaty’s third alternate ending where both Roman AND Kate survive! :) Well, not really, I know it wasn’t in the original game and this is purely subjective, but in MY universe (key words: subjective, my, universe), the third alternate ending is canon.

Sonicdude

Personally, I actually think the game could've used a little more Roman. At least in the main story missions that is, as once you reach Algonquin Roman just kinda takes a backseat to Niko, not really appearing in anything until his wedding (or I guess his kidnapping, it's been a bit since I last played the game.) I think putting in maybe one or two missions of Roman trying to go out and have fun in the richest parts of Liberty City, only to have like, Dimitri's goons come and try to ruin things could've been pretty fun and entertaining.