3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

TheShift

Ps4 PSN ID Change

TheShift

So this feature finally becomes available to ps4 users..

List of games with no known issues..Doesn't show Red Dead 2..

So who's going to be the guinea pig?

SuperJude™
7 minutes ago, TheShift said:

So this feature finally becomes available to ps4 users..

List of games with no known issues..Doesn't show Red Dead 2..

So who's going to be the guinea pig?

I'll use a secondary account that's been inactive since I moved to PS4 

TheShift

Warning.. Hazards could be a character reset..

😩

alex1055
Posted (edited)

I don’t think Red Dead will be on either of the lists because it was released after April 2018 (GTA V, however, has been identified as having issues - though I think they’re minor)

Edited by alex1055

Jason

I'd be very surprised if there was an issue. As far as I'm aware basically every modern online game on PS4 is using the new ID system.

MostWantedMVP
4 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'd be very surprised if there was an issue. As far as I'm aware basically every modern online game on PS4 is using the new ID system.

Why on earth don't they use a system like Steams where you can have any name you want.

Every name imaginible is taken on PSN. These days if you want to make a new one you have to add numbers or underscores. It's 2019 and it's BS. Plus charging to change your name is just ridiculous and it may not work in certain areas. Better off making a new account with a name you're happy with on PlayStation. I don't see the point of this update if there are bugs.

TheShift

I just don't trust new tech 

Haha

Assblaster
3 minutes ago, MostWantedMVP said:

Every name imaginable is taken on PSN. These days if you want to make a new one you have to add numbers or underscores.

There are ways around it though if you want a name that's taken. I have 13 or so characters and each one's psn ID is the character's name. If a name is taken you just substitute letters for similar-looking numbers, e.g. for Hoss Cartwright I had to make it Hoss_Cartwr1ght, cuz the name was taken.

Daleificent
6 minutes ago, MostWantedMVP said:

Why on earth don't they use a system like Steams where you can have any name you want.

Every name imaginible is taken on PSN. These days if you want to make a new one you have to add numbers or underscores. It's 2019 and it's BS. Plus charging to change your name is just ridiculous and it may not work in certain areas. Better off making a new account with a name you're happy with on PlayStation. I don't see the point of this update if there are bugs.

You just gotta be crafty when you make one. Get crafty enough and it'll be a name that's almost never used.

Though I would love to be able to use any name like Steam. And if it was free? I'd have a new name all. The. Time.

Jason
7 minutes ago, MostWantedMVP said:

Yea basically Sony f*cked up massively when they made PSN. For services like Xbox Live and Steam accounts are identified by a unique ID number and your display name is just that, where as for PSN accounts are identified by your actual account name. So if you change your account name it just breaks everything. It was really, really poorly thought out. It was never designed with the intention of name changes, at all. Since 2018 though they've switched to what I assume is a system more like Steam/XBL so new games don't have any issues with the new name change system, but some old games are still using the old system.

But yea there's really no reason to not have a Steam like name change system now, I can't imagine changing display name costs them anything. People should be able to rock the name they want, whenever they want.

MostWantedMVP

I wish games would incorporate their own system when actually playing online. Similar to PC launchers. So using your Social Club ID for playing Rockstar titles on PS4 and Xbox.

TheLordMarvel

I really wanna change mine but I don't wanna risk it yet. Specially with GTAV showing issues. 👀

Jason
Just now, MostWantedMVP said:

I wish games would incorporate their own system when actually playing online. Similar to PC launchers. So using your Social Club ID for playing Rockstar titles on PS4 and Xbox.

Be a bit tricky, I'd imagine. We'd either have to manage multiple friends lists or Sony/MS would have to integrate every developers own account system into the XBL/PSN systems. So either a huge inconvenience for the player or a lotta work for devs and MS/Sony.

Clickalot

Psst

Your previous Online ID may remain visible to you and other players in some areas.
You may lose progress within games, including game saved data, leaderboard data, and progress towards Trophies.
Parts of your game and applications may not function properly both online and offline.
You may lose access to content (including paid-for content) that you may have acquired for your games including content like add-ons and virtual currency.

Rafae S

So basically don't f*ckin change it.

MostWantedMVP
Posted (edited)

-

Edited by MostWantedMVP

StangOne50

Been hearing about this for a while.

Is there new info? any link?

Raylan Givens
2 hours ago, Jason said:

Yea basically Sony f*cked up massively when they made PSN. For services like Xbox Live and Steam accounts are identified by a unique ID number and your display name is just that, where as for PSN accounts are identified by your actual account name. So if you change your account name it just breaks everything. It was really, really poorly thought out. It was never designed with the intention of name changes, at all. Since 2018 though they've switched to what I assume is a system more like Steam/XBL so new games don't have any issues with the new name change system, but some old games are still using the old system.

But yea there's really no reason to not have a Steam like name change system now, I can't imagine changing display name costs them anything. People should be able to rock the name they want, whenever they want.

LONG time lurker, first time poster (hello, everyone!)...

is this really how XBox works? I've never changed my gamer tag for fear of losing GTA/RDR progress and/or desyncing with my R* Social Club account.

Are you telling me my fears are unfounded? Because if so I'm changing my silly and horribly outdated gamer tag tonight.

Jason
2 minutes ago, Raylan Givens said:

LONG time lurker, first time poster (hello, everyone!)...

is this really how XBox works? I've never changed my gamer tag for fear of losing GTA/RDR progress and/or desyncing with my R* Social Club account.

Are you telling me my fears are unfounded? Because if so I'm changing my silly and horribly outdated gamer tag tonight.

Yea Xbox has absolutely zero issues with name changes, it's been supported for well over a decade now. Worst case scenario would be Social Club taking a little while to update but I would assume it's done instantly. Quick google of Xbox Live name changes and GTAO shows no issues with anything like that.

30 minutes ago, StangOne50 said:

Been hearing about this for a while.

Is there new info? any link?

It goes live today: https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/04/10/online-id-change-on-psn-your-questions-answered/

There's some f*ckery with it as well, all your previous names are reserved meaning that if say you changed your name 100 times you would have 100 names tied to your account. One account, one hundred names. Sony logic for you.

MostWantedMVP
Posted (edited)

-

Edited by MostWantedMVP

Between3and22char

This is why the store is closed? or is just me?

lkF8jtc.jpg

Mad-Monkey_1st

So has any done a gamer tag name change on PSN yet and has it affected RDO

Chrismads

What's this? It'll let you change your psn id? But it could possibly ruin all your progress in your games?

TheShift

Played a while lastnight..noticed the lock on the store too..heh

Looked for the option to change ID just to see it in the menu...wasn't there 

Has it been added (at work all day)

Has anyone tried it if so?

Mad-Monkey_1st
4 minutes ago, TheShift said:

Played a while lastnight..noticed the lock on the store too..heh

Looked for the option to change ID just to see it in the menu...wasn't there 

Has it been added (at work all day)

Has anyone tried it if so?

As far as im aware its on the PS4 main screen under settings, Not been on line for a few days so not 100% sure 

Syrens

I'm sure the issue is it's not changing the ID, but in fact making a new ID, so they're gonna need to link the accounts and ditch the old ID name otherwise you can be playing with 1 ID and have your previous 5 billion ID's essentially on 'retention' and no one else can use them.

Jason

It should have zero issues with RDO as it was released post April 2018, RDO's also not on the games with issues list either. GTAO has some issues, I think, but I've not heard of loss of progress or anything.

Non-critical issues can be as small as your name not updating in the leaderboards/menus instantly. Assuming they haven't missed any games, the list of games with actual serious issues is incredibly small.

Vitalize

I changed my PSN ID yesterday. Didn't change sh*t in RDO or GTAO.... except my name :)

Sammionna

Changed my name this morning, no problems here. Trophies, stats and game progression are fine for both Red Dead and GTA.

raysis

Good to hear that it was no issue after the nick change, think i must get me a new username as well, it’s just so hard to choose one...