3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

The Time Ranger

Old Internet

The Time Ranger

What are your memories of the old internet, the dial up days, before the large corporate presence of Facebook and Google, was there a particular year where the internet became "modern." What was it like before this time. Living in a rural area I only got decent internet relatively recently so it was always more or less the same for me.

so what about you, I heard that chatrooms like AOL were popular, and things weren't so centralised.

Purevil

16kb dail up, 2p per minute, phone line constantly engaged. 

When I discovered Napster I dowmloaded my first mp3.   It took days at 1kb a second.   Would have been cheaper to buy the single.on vinyl.

trip

I'm going to update with some photos after I get home.  I still have my first modem which predates the internet.

I think I may even have some 3.5 AOL discs around.

My internet experience started when the internet only had email, gopher, wais...and then usenet.  It was so exciting when the WWW browsers showed up.

One thing I wish I kept was an article explaining the World Wide Web.  To sum it up the author said:

"a list of fruits show up on a page in what is called 'a browser'.  You click on an apple and in a few minutes a picture of an apple shows up.  I don't think it will go too far".

Short Stay

Back in 95/96 when much  of the internet seemed to consist of people's homepages. Usually just one page dedicated to someone's hobby interests with maybe a photo or two, but lots of hyperlinks to other pages. That was where the fun was for me. Since practically every page had links to other pages you could play a sort of international hopscotch, jumping from site to site, never knowing where you would end up. The advent of search engines killed off that special kind of fun. 

Sanches

MIDIs

Wolver_321
Posted (edited)

Wow, you're probably all talking about the mid '90s! Here where I live we had a dial-up connection (56K) until 2005 I think, downloading a song of just 3MB took up at least 1 hour.

Then ADSL (640K) became a thing and, believe it or not, after 14 years I'm still covered just by this technology (precisely ADSL ATM which, if you do a bit of research on Google, is the oldest and the worst type of ADSL, just type "ADSL ATM vs GBE" if you want to know more).

And here I am, in 2019, with a "fantastic" ADSL, up to 7 Mbit/s in download and 0.8 Mbit/s in upload:

8173389912.png

(Of course in the evening the download speed goes down to 3-2 Mbit/s, ADSL is shared and when lots of people in your area use the connection at the same time the ISP has to divide equally the amount of speed for each user)

(And yes, that "Slower than 55% of IT" says a lot about our connections)

'90s connections in 2019! YES! Good job Italy! And good job Telecom! It's fantastic to be 20 years behind the rest of the world!

In theory I should have a decent FTTH connection (up to 1 Gbit/s) by 2020 but, since we're in Italy, I think I'll see that speed only in 2021 or 2022...

Edited by Wolver_321

trip

Here is my original Hayes 1200 baud modem I want to say I got it around 1983/84.

1200 baud moves 1 meg every 6,990 seconds.  That's 116+ minutes.  Nearly 2 hours to move 1 meg!

The discs weren't used with that modem obviously.  I just wanted to toss in some of those original online services discs.

qazKIpo.jpg

angeldust

invisionfree/ipb boards circa 06 were the best

FearThoseWhoFearHim

Playing Tibia in a Cafe Internet before I got my own computer.

Spider-Vice

My first experience with the internet was w/ dial-up back at my old house for sure, and I remember seeing my younger uncle do stuff on the internet with dial-up (and hearing that horrid noise because the modem's speakers were damn loud) but I only started using the Internet more properly once I grew up and I already had DSL internet. When 2 megabit ADSL was the sh*t, and quite expensive at that.

I remember using the old versions of MSN Messenger and the like, and using the browser basically only to search for video game related stuff - and GTAForums at one point in 2006... ;) The internet was a lot different before social networks, it felt more raw and real. Forums and chat rooms were basically the main forms of communication, not even phone texting was a mainstream thing because there wasn't such a thing as unlimited text plans, and calling really only happened sporadically. People could be separate for much longer periods of time compared to today with the constant contact the Internet allows - too much attachment.

HeavyDuke
Posted (edited)

Lots of illegal content everywhere, pedophiles stacked up all over kiddy game sites that had chat abilities without anyone monitoring it. Lots of dicks. Talking 2000-2003 ish. LMAO my buddy got catfished very badly.

Edited by HeavyDuke

The Coconut Kid

We first got home internet around 2004. It was an AOL modem that made an awful noise when you connected to it but at the same time there was always an excitement about it, as though you were stepping into another (or at least wider) world. We always went onto Ask Jeeves back then -- not Google. There were a series of ads at the time that made it seem like you could "Ask Jeeves" anything and it would come back with your answer. You would have to wait until getting home to go on the computer to do this -- something we take for granted in present day.

And when you eventually did get on the computer and wait for the internet to connect, you had about five minutes before your mom shouted up the stairs and told you to get off the computer because she needed to use the phone.

For the most part I remember getting loads of music from Limewire (learning the hard way which files were viruses and which ones weren't) and arranging to meet mates through MSN messenger. Getting football scores and tables was a lot easier than buying a paper or going on Teletext. Talking to people from all over the world that you wouldn't otherwise interact with was an amazing feeling at the time. There was an innocence about it because I think we were all new to it at the time and were all finding our feet with how it would all work. You would click with people on message boards and swap MSN addys but never meet -- sometimes you wonder what happened to them and where they are in life. It does make wonder if the younger people using the internet these days get to experience this, or if they're projected straight onto an internet that is arguably more hostile and predatory.

Big_Smiley
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Neon_Dreaming said:

What are your memories of the old internet, the dial up days, before the large corporate presence of Facebook and Google, was there a particular year where the internet became "modern." What was it like before this time. Living in a rural area I only got decent internet relatively recently so it was always more or less the same for me.

so what about you, I heard that chatrooms like AOL were popular, and things weren't so centralised.

Tbh honest I didn't take any advantage of the early internet as much as I wish I did until the early 2000's. I used dial ups every now and then but rarely when my older brother would use it. Then AOL in 97 with some sh*t called Netmail then Netscape (damn that takes me back, lol) but I still never used it. I figuerd at a young age around the early 90's pagers came in handy when sh*t went down. I was never an indoor kid the exact opposite if you catch my drift. Too much sh*t was popping off in the neighborhoods to be hooked up a screen trying to figure how use this thing, lol.

Everything I mean everything changed when my friend made me a MySpace account. I hated his ass for doing it really but man did sh*t change :turn:That's when Neogaf came along, started getting involved into the early internet world and exploring different forums. Then facebook etc...Then Counter Strike came in 99 and man did I enjoy that online multiplayer. Point is I took the advantages a lot more in the 2000's than in the 90's.

Edited by Big_Smiley

Mafia Assassin®

I remember when I first had my internet, dial-up, a 5 minutes video took 2 hours to load; at my school we used msn a lot to communicate, it was great.

I remember during a whole month, I used a third party provider for connection, I had no idea how things worked... in the end of month, the bill came 15x more expensive than it should, my mother almost killed me.

Honestly, I really miss those days.

Straypuft

My first internet experience came from using Prodigy in 95 I think, there was a games area and I remember playing a choose your adventure type of game a lot. After that, we had AOL.

My real experience came from having my own computer in 2000 and clogging up the phone line until my sisters would need to use the phone, all they had to do was pick up the phone a few times to boot me from the net...

There was my first online game experiences, My first online game was Interstate 82, I played the hell out of MS Flight Simulator 98, learned you can download other planes for it, Some of them took more than an hour to download.

I was forced to take a 3 month internet break at the end of 2001 and lost my hotmail account due to inactivity..

2002-2003 was spent using library and university internets.

Got my first apartment in 2003 and got some dsl internets.

FearThoseWhoFearHim

Loquendo called back in the day for most Spanish people for using a voice test program to narrate something in a video and sometimes in a goofy way.

TheSantader25

I remember the frustration with my mom because the phone line was always out. 

SonOfLiberty

I remember when the internet used to be a luxury. Now it's something we can't live without.

unopieceo

My first memories of the net are using my schools pcs in maybe 98 and using netscape navigator to search for Descent fan pages. Its hard to imagine how simple it was, 90% of websites were just text pages with wacky fonts, colored text and shiity clipart. The golden age In my opinion was about 2000 to 2007, after that point the biggest websites just grew into enormous corporate monstrosities, its sad what has happened but it was inevitable.

John Smith

My oldest memories of the internet I can think of were things like rotten.com and Yahoo chat rooms filled with nothing but "a/s/l?". The latter must have been the catalyst for tinder and all that sh*te.

trip

How about RealPlayer?  

rp8plus.png

What a piece of sh*t!

How about when everyone had a free Geocities or Angelfire website?  Even better...a geocities site with a loud midi and no way to turn it off.

My last old man piece.  I was working in the network realm during the mid 90s internet.  I had a home network and a proxy server with a dialup modem.  So... if you needed to get on the internet from any computer in my house(all 2 of them at the time) my server would automatically dial out and connect.  I thought it was amazing.

LeeC2202

I started out with a Commodore 64 and a 1200 baud Compunet modem (aka the Brick) in the mid 80's on Compunet.

This is the modem, you can see why it got its nickname.

compunet-modem.jpg

Compunet was a UK based service aimed primarily at C64 owners. You could upload and download files, give votes to files you thought were great, it had an all-in chatroom (including private rooms if required) and it had a mail service... Plus you had your own space where you could create personal stuff in.

I was just starting out as a game dev back then and it was brilliant for getting your artwork/code out there for all to see. We all used to hang-out on there and then all meet up at CES every year, so the people you were talking to, all felt like people you really knew, because you did get to meet them in real life. The big magazines all had a presence on there and with mags like ZZap64 having a compunet page in the magazine, it was another avenue for exposure.

I can't honestly remember too much about how it actually used to function but I know it was the source of many good times and I met some good people on there. It didn't feel as anonymous as today's internet.

FearThoseWhoFearHim
On 4/10/2019 at 11:42 AM, trip said:

How about RealPlayer?  

rp8plus.png

What a piece of sh*t!

Winamp here.

Screen-Shot-2018-09-25-at-11.01.39-AM.pn

uNi

How about doing Winamp skins to share at school?

Plus, the bigger your winamp playlist the bigger your penis was.

sivispacem
On 4/10/2019 at 3:37 PM, John Smith said:

My oldest memories of the internet I can think of were things like rotten.com

Colour me surprised.

angeldust
3 hours ago, uNi said:

How about doing Winamp skins to share at school?

Plus, the bigger your winamp playlist the bigger your penis was.

viojkhr.jpg

FearThoseWhoFearHim

Ah... just a simple dummy introduction content set by the WordPress and along with Blogspot such gold years back then in 2003.

WordPress-v0.7.1-Gold-Frontend-Screensho

Evil empire

I remember well the 56k period, that $hit took a very long time to connect and sometimes I spent more time trying to connect than online, coudn't use the phone while on internet and as if it wasn't sh*tty enough I could only spend a certain number of hours online per month. I'm happy this time is over.

Tchuck

28.8kbps, man. I have vague memories of those days. Being very patient was one of them, but then I didn't know faster speed. It truly did unlock the world for me because, living in Brazil, I began to bet a lot more exposure to the outside world. The golden age of search engines, when Google didn't dominate everything. Yahoo actually mattering, the Brazilian alternatives Achei and Cade. Altavista, Astalavista, Jeeves... Jesus...

And the website hosters! GeoCities, Lycos, Angelfire... Webrings! Remember those? Sites that would partner up in a ring, each linking to the previous and to the next one on the ring... I discovered many amazing sites that way, including one site that stuck with me, where the guy posted his custom LEGO mechs that looked so damn cool. Always wanted to imitate him. 

I remember making my first webpage using some website builder called Homestead. I had a pokemon webpage because why not. I also had hoax pokemons in them lol, and ways to get the pokemons that were obviously impossible. Complete with "paintshopped" pixels of what the pokemon should look like. The one that stuck out was Magnetrio, a merge of Magneton and Dugtrio. Some people actually tried, and sent me emails asking why it wasn't working lol.

And then we got some form of broadband, and Quake 3 came around, and it was glorious...

Ahh, the good old days of the internet. Fun times.

HeavyDuke
3 hours ago, Tchuck said:

one site that stuck with me, where the guy posted his custom LEGO mechs that looked so damn cool. Always wanted to imitate him. 

Didn't he ended up becoming a mech himself called LEGOTRON?