2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus or tools. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.
fw3

Don't You Feel a Little Silly?

fw3
Posted (edited)

Sitting there in your designated "game room" (aka basement, bedroom, closet, etc), with your fingers flopping all over your controller or keyboard, trying desperately to get to your Supercar so you can race across a fictional city just to do some fictional crime and make some fictional money.

Yes, all this while you could be making real money. Or cleaning your room. Or homework. Or reading a book. Or whatever.

We all live in this same scenario, spending countless hours-upon-hours devoted to this stupid game we've played a thousand times over.

I mean, is there really anything truly "new" about it? Anything we haven't seen or done before in all of GTAO?

So, the question is – how do you feel after you spent 1-4 hours playing GTAO?
Sure, there's the whole satisfaction of spending some quality downtime after a long, hard day... but do you ever feel like you're forfeiting that time from doing something else?

Speaking for myself, when my son came home with his girlfriend recently, and I was sitting in my basement gameroom and he said, "yeah, that's my dad... he plays Grand Theft Auto," I felt a little embarrassed.
I immediately turned it off and went and made time for them both, along with making dinner, as well. Not so much because I was enjoying my time playing GTAO, but because I wasn't doing something more productive for myself.

I wonder if I'd continued playing, would I have had that quality time with them AND would we have had pan seared gnocci n' broccoli for dinner instead of a can of soup or frozen pizza?

And not for nothing, but there are times when I've walked away from GTAO feeling a little ridiculous after being owned by a group of tweenagers or after an hour of revenge-chasing, only to have the player leave.
And let's not talk about the hour spent picking out new outfits for my character... or worse, my second character!

What about you though? Ever feel silly after you realized how much time you've spent playing GTAO or spending a bit too much time on one specific task in GTAO?
Or maybe not silly, but regretful or that you've wasted precious time when it could've been spent elsewhere?

Now, don't get me wrong – I'm not about to change my ways after 17 years of playing Grand Theft Auto games, but I certainly reflect on how much time I play, nowadays.

TL; DR
How do you feel about the time you spend playing GTAO instead of doing more productive things in life?

Just something I was thinking of after that incident when my son came home the other night, which made me curious what other experience. Cheers!

If I ran a few extension cables from grandma's house, I could play GTAO while I'm sitting here selling bananas and watchin' traffic.
FoZSgVuQL0CNwD9q6pnUIQ_0_0.jpg

Edited by fw3

Lance Mayhem

Close to home, fw3. 

I often only get a one-and-a-half day weekend, much of which is usually frittered away at the console. 

On those few occasions lately that I've been coerced into having real-life experiences like walking in the woods or jamming with other musicians, I've enjoyed myself, and thinking I'd like to do more of it. 

But it's so easy to flop down on the couch and drive, shoot, and steal in the consequence-free world of GTA that I usually spend the majority of my off-duty time doing just that. 

Do I feel silly? No. 

Worthless. 

Rafae S
Posted (edited)

If I'm playing the game I'm clearly playing for a reason that's important to me. So no I don't really feel bad about not doing other things instead because if I really wanted to I'd actually just go and do those things.

Edited by Rafae S

Carlin_Stanhope

"There's no such thing as addiction, there are just things you enjoy doing more then life." - Doug Stanhope

oleg_aka_djmeg

when being able to play games at work comes in real handy

Urban Legends

"...sitting in your closet" 😂 I think you need a bigger man cave...jk

I feel like you have some kinda guilt about something.. Idk you have a family and stuff.. I think you should move forward with what u really want to do in life.. It's so short and anytime your number can get pulled and then no more video games.  Just volunteer work in heaven. 

Stay healthy man.. Get off the couch and out the house..use your brain.. Oh.. And add me on PSN if you like to have fun 😛

It's a new day!

El Payaso

Yeah. I sometimes feel that way. I find that gaming only consumes my time when I'm bored or not engaged. 

-LN-
Posted (edited)

Nah, I don't feel silly or bad at all about how much I play or have played this game or any other game for that matter. In fact, I feel pretty damn good about it!

v2XB1Ah.png

^^ That's just on one account and for this particular game after having not even playing at all for about a year or so, lol!

Ideally I would like to get back into writing on a regular basis and perhaps into reading more things that aren't necessarily centred around gaming, but I have no regrets and do not feel ashamed! Gaming is a huge part of who I am, who I've always been, and who I'll always be! Despite my criticisms of GTAO, I still enjoy it and have just recently got back into playing it regularly (with the addition of other games).

I'm younger than 40, but older than 30; for me personally, being too much of an adult is highly overrated. Gaming is something that truly makes me happy and I'll only stop when they pry the controller from my cold, dead hands! 😛 :D

I wouldn't feel bad about it if it's something you truly enjoy. Perhaps society says that we should, but honestly I feel great after a long session, especially if I've had fun, performed well, or shared it with quality friends!

Great post, fw3! Just keep on playing and never feel silly or ashamed! :D

Edited by -LN-

CarimboHanky

mmm what can i say... there was a time, years ago that i know i neglected some aspects of real life because of gtao, but i realized what i was doing and managed to get a proper balance between sh*t i gotta do and playing the game.

less procrastination = more time to play 😂

Natsuki

If I cared about wasting my time, I wouldn't have spent the last like, 2 months grinding for the space docker.

Only 45 more arena ranks to go :sui:

kenmy13999

I actually don't want to think to much about how I feel about it, so based on that, no I don't 😉

PaeganLoveSong

I can't even remember the last time I played for longer than an hour. Maybe right when clubs came out? Maybe the 2x Contact missions week not long after? Either way, I don't feel shame about playing a video game for a few hours if I'm a) enjoying myself and b) not neglecting things IRL I have to do. It's gotten to the point where my girlfriend will acknowledge that an hour or two of playtime after a day of work means I'm less irritable the rest of the night because purging on NPCs and/or noobs, or even just having some fun with my bro in Rocket League, gives me a chance to unwind.

fw3
2 hours ago, Urban Legends said:

I feel like you have some kinda guilt about something.. Idk you have a family and stuff.. I think you should move forward with what u really want to do in life.. It's so short and anytime your number can get pulled and then no more video games.  Just volunteer work in heaven.

This is both perceptive and insightful, @Urban Legends, though I wouldn't say "guilt," as much as I'd say a touch of self-deprecation. 
Being critical of my time is a result of raising a family, working a job, and getting old. I take time for myself when and where I want, with no guilt.
But, I do recognize when I'm just blowing time staring at an appliance on the wall, when I could be swinging a rake, wielding a wrench, or even dropping a Tide Pod in the machine.

32 minutes ago, -LN- said:

I wouldn't feel bad about it if it's something you truly enjoy. Perhaps society says that we should, but honestly I feel great after a long session, especially if I've had fun, performed well, or shared it with quality friends!

Great post, fw3! Just keep on playing and never feel silly or ashamed! :D

Thank you for the kind nod, @-LN-! There's a lot of value in your comment about "perhaps society says that we should [feel bad]."
A good friend, whom I used to play GTAO with all the time, when it first came out, was thrashed by his wife for spending too much time playing video games.
Sure, he played a lot, but when they had their first kid, it was his only escape from responsibility and she was all over him, saying she was married to a teenager, not a husband.
He ended up giving me his XB360 and gave up gaming, altogether, which was a shame. He's happy, but even in real life, we never hang out anymore.
I'm a bad influence, according to his wife. lol!!

Coleco

Mi ne parolas Esperanto :(

I should be fluent in Esperanto by now - writing, reading and speaking - but instead I know how best to balance tasks so I can optimise selling a Sandking XL, completing Sightseer and Piracy Prevention in order to make a profit.

I'll do it next year I promise

yungsmokex

Admittedly I don’t play often. I was coming back around when clubs got started. But I get what you mean. There’s a certain guilt from not having a proper work/life/game balance. For me, I decided I’d like to blog, write & post screenshots of games to make it a productive hobby that might even make me some money one day. That doesn’t necessarily make more time for gaming, (my schedule is a bit MORE hectic actually) but I get to feel better about it. 

mute!

I feel the same way after watching pr0n 😬

ilovefreebird

Meh, I work 9 hours a day at a job I love and am good at, go to the gym every day for lunch, take my parents/grandparents out to lunch most weekends, and see my buddies most Friday and Saturday nights for beer. My dog gets walked each day, and I take care of all my cleaning/cooking/laundry on Sundays.

I'm more than satisfied with the rest of my life, and I'd rather play GTA after work than watch 3 hours of Netflix!

Swissawhole

Yeah I have had these thoughts.  For me, gaming is a stress release from all the other things n my life.  But, with most things in life, balance is important.  So every once in a while I look at the total days played, think to myself, “aren’t other things going on in the world?” And shut the game off and go do them.  I routinely take months off, shut the game off, go for a walk, read a book, hang out with friends.  I always come back for my favorite stress reliever, but balance is the key.  It is true, except for a handful of things, moderation for all things is the key...

fw3
24 minutes ago, mute! said:

I feel the same way after watching pr0n 😬

That 3-4 hours could definitely be spent elsewhere. lol!

kcole4001

If I felt like doing other things, I'd be doing them, and often I do.

I'm never bored, I have way too many interests.

I know other people can look on anything and call it a waste of time because it doesn't interest them, but it's my time and I'll spend it however I want.

The older I get the more I find that far too many people are far too free with my time.

Zak Ras
6 hours ago, fw3 said:

Sitting there in your designated "game room" (aka basement, bedroom, closet, etc), with your fingers flopping all over your controller or keyboard, trying desperately to get to your Supercar so you can race across a fictional city just to do some fictional crime and make some fictional money.

Yes, all this while you could be making real money. Or cleaning your room. Or homework. Or reading a book. Or whatever.

We all live in this same scenario, spending countless hours-upon-hours devoted to this stupid game we've played a thousand times over.

I mean, is there really anything truly "new" about it? Anything we haven't seen or done before in all of GTAO?

So, the question is – how do you feel after you spent 1-4 hours playing GTAO?
Sure, there's the whole satisfaction of spending some quality downtime after a long, hard day... but do you ever feel like you're forfeiting that time from doing something else?

Speaking for myself, when my son came home with his girlfriend recently, and I was sitting in my basement gameroom and he said, "yeah, that's my dad... he plays Grand Theft Auto," I felt a little embarrassed.
I immediately turned it off and went and made time for them both, along with making dinner, as well. Not so much because I was enjoying my time playing GTAO, but because I wasn't doing something more productive for myself.

I wonder if I'd continued playing, would I have had that quality time with them AND would we have had pan seared gnocci n' broccoli for dinner instead of a can of soup or frozen pizza?

And not for nothing, but there are times when I've walked away from GTAO feeling a little ridiculous after being owned by a group of tweenagers or after an hour of revenge-chasing, only to have the player leave.
And let's not talk about the hour spent picking out new outfits for my character... or worse, my second character!

What about you though? Ever feel silly after you realized how much time you've spent playing GTAO or spending a bit too much time on one specific task in GTAO?
Or maybe not silly, but regretful or that you've wasted precious time when it could've been spent elsewhere?

Now, don't get me wrong – I'm not about to change my ways after 17 years of playing Grand Theft Auto games, but I certainly reflect on how much time I play, nowadays.

TL; DR
How do you feel about the time you spend playing GTAO instead of doing more productive things in life?

Just something I was thinking of after that incident when my son came home the other night, which made me curious what other experience. Cheers!

If I ran a few extension cables from grandma's house, I could play GTAO while I'm sitting here selling bananas and watchin' traffic.
FoZSgVuQL0CNwD9q6pnUIQ_0_0.jpg

Maybe I play because I'm just an idiot who thinks that virtual palm trees are a good subsitute for... I'd finish that quote but I DO know what the f*ck I'm doing on this Earth. I've realized about a year ago now that I won't be able to play persistent online games like GTA:O for much longer. Standard single player GTA I could do that, I could go back to the Halo franchise depending how Infinite goes, but even then, I look back at my teenage years playing Halo 3, Reach & 4, and what I have to show for that. Years of entertainment and competition, but no reward.

I'm heading towards a career I love, maybe almost half a decade late, but that wasn't down to gaming, that was down to the worst years of my life, gaming of which, might be one of the few reason I made it through them.

It's weird, I've only ever had a few people in my Social Club crew, that were never Online, so I've never really played GTA Online with anyone, but the last few days I've been lobby hopping and firing out invites to the whole lobby like crazy. Over 4 days I gathered over 60 people, and it's 95% low ranking players. The only reason I can give for doing this is that my subconcious is trying to team up random players who are just starting out, so they can start out together, since I know how brutal this game is to players starting out in 2019 compared to October 1st 2013.

MsBrandi

How do i feel? I kinda regret though, playing for hours for some virtual sh*t that will be gone in 2 years, back then i just feel like i have to grind everyday, now though i grind in the gym and in real life, catching up with the real deal in life, i maybe pop up the game just to drive around with my cars and bikes but grinding? Meh, for what another twisted metal sh*t? No 🤮

But i kinda glad that they will release some crap DLC tho, so i won't have a reason to comeback to the game 😂

Vitalize

i spend an unhealthy amount of hours on this game. i feel f*cking awful because i could be doing homework instead. procrastination is a wonderful thing. 

hei3enberg

I'm a day one player and I've started as a pretty young not married lad in grad school, so time was a bit of an issue for me. After finishing my PhD I've started working and eventually got my ass married to the woman I've been dating since we were 18, but we were in the different countries for three years and a half, only meeting from time to time all thanks to the visa and immigration issues. All this time after work we were talking over some kind of voip ranging from Hangouts to Telegram and later Threema (best overall sound quality and ok privacy, and no sir, I'm not a spy) while I played GTA Online. I've never got my wife into playing the game with me, but it was a nice thing to keep my hands occupied while discussing some kind of BS we were talking about and I was already too tired to do anything else in that time. We're leaving together now and I'm not playing as I used to. Max 1.5 hour session time, usually under 1 hour. Just chilling with the crew, helping with sales and cruising. From time to time it's missions or other PvE stuff, never PvP or public sessions.

In my case, Online was not an issue, but I'm a long time GTA franchise fan so it's basically 1 of 3 games I play, others are Forza 7 and Dirt Rally 2. With DR 2 you can't play it for more than 1 hour and be okay mentally, so even there my sessions are relatively short. I can say that gaming is not interfering with my life.

@Coleco I've started French in October '17 and I think I can pass DELF B2 now, but my ambition is C1, don't really ask why.  Start today and spend 1 hour per day, but EVERY day after establishing your study routine. No breaks, no weekends, no BS. Missed a day, it's 2 hours then. It's crucial to establish the effective routine and it's much easier to support it. 1 hour per day is the golden mark, trust me. Almost nobody after 25 can commit 3 hours per day and even less people will be able to remain sane doing it for over a year. If you're really pushing it and it's not your second language and more like 3-4th, you have experience and you're really targeting a goal like doing studies in a year using the language, you can go crazy of course. But it will tax you enormously! So take it easy and be consistent.

TheDoombringer

I work from home so i have more leeway in how much time I spending gaming, but I do feel like I'm neglecting other things by playing , like eating, taking a shower, spending time with my wife,etc.with that said I do feel slightly silly when the sun is shining and birds chirping and I decide to stay in doors lol.also,My body interceds when I've been playing too long like I get thirty or hungry and I gotta actually cook some thing, or when my bladders full and I've been holding it in too long😂

Nice system of checks and balances😁

hei3enberg
31 minutes ago, Zak Ras said:

how brutal this game is to players starting out in 2019 compared to October 1st 2013

Respectfully disagreeing with that. Rank locks are close to non-existing via rank-free guns or they've been lifted like with heist vehicles, VIP missions are available with only 50k in the bank. Not to mention that in 2013 we've never had event weeks with regular discounts on various money making stuff and fun vehicles. Back in 2013 there was nothing like that, not even VIP work.

Jenkiiii
Posted (edited)

When you start asking these questions about the amount of time spent in GTA online then, yes, you need to take these inner messages seriously and maybe give GTA online a break, and only play at certain times..

My biggest issue is turning the game on, but not being able to turn it off, and I accept that once I'm online that's pretty much my whole day consumed, so I restrict myself to only playing in the evenings, and sometimes persuading myself to not turn the game on at all.

Thankfully, GTA online is now going through the doldrums between major updates and the next big game itself, which allows us to be retrospective about video game addiction and wonder if it's still worth it? And that's one of the reasons I cannot commit to RDR2 or other games at this level, due to my GTA addiction problems over the years. I don't have enough life in me to live like that, and be happy with the real world as well.

Edited by Jenkiiii

hei3enberg
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Jenkiiii said:

And that's one of the reasons I cannot commit to RDR2 or other games at this level, due to my GTA addiction problems over the years. I don't have enough life in me to live like that and be happy with the real world as well.

We have 20 years age difference and I feel exactly the way you described. It's not really us or our perception, it's the game design too. After coming back to more traditional and offline titles like Forza and now Dirt Rally 2 I feel like the whole online idea is wonderful, but the implementation is crap. Let's take GTAO: grindy ass game that neglects basic mechanics of GTA V with reduced props and traffic, but what's important that we can't really control the game. RDO is worse, invite only sessions are non-existing so the game is immediately going offline-only for me when it's released on PC. Micro transactions and useless grind are killing the games.

Recently I've tried IV and EFLC and was bored to death mostly by the fact that I can't own vehicles. But after thinking about it, I've came to conclusion that this virtual ownership is actually cancer. It's much more fun to either play with cheats or old-school way enjoying sandbox. This ownership system is just a pretext for grind, nothing more. That's why I've decided that GTAO is the last online game of that type I'm playing. I don't mind old-school multiplayer games, but grind is out of the question.

Edited by hei3enberg

CanadianMuscle

GTAO just filled in the time I had where I didn't have anything else to do. I was never interested in watching TV or Netflix marathons, although there's the odd time i'll find a hockey game or racing event to record or watch.

But it's always been my go-to game for the most part. Take care of business in the real world, and unwind into some virtual crime. Although some (obviously) see that differently. It's just the kinda game people may judge you for playing; I'd tell them to switch up their perspective, it's just a game.

Mistermilan07

Meh

Gtao beats real life 

Real life is boring. No flying bikes, no ewo at work, snacks are expensive