3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

EU on-board speed limiters

Zyo

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-47715415

2022 will see the introduction of speed limit control devices on all new cars in Europe (and the UK). If you haven't seen it, it will read the current speed limit by signage and gps and limit your vehicle to that speed whether its 30 to 70mph.

Claims 25,000 lives will be saved over 15 years which sounds unlikely. This won't make people drive more safely. It introduces new road safety risks, and looking at the bigger picture, will put people off buying new cars, hurt the auto industry and long-term provoke a recession. It'll probably cost more jobs than Brexit.

Edited by Zyo

Should be noted that you can override it by pressing hard on the accelerator.  Or keep driving older cars like yours truly.  If I were to own a post-2000 built car, it would only be to drive it until it's scrap.  And it would be pretty far along once I get it (so I can get it dirt cheap).

I also don't think it's going to save that many lives, nor is the system going to work.  Most auto-manufacturers have already built a similar system and installed it in cars, but the sign recognition aspect of the system isn't really working.  And it won't be by 2022.  Image recognition is a super hard problem, even 'as simple' as recognising text on a sign.  Because while you can build something that will work in 99% of cases, what about the last 1%?  Those are the hard ones and won't be solved.  Computer scientists have been trying to solve image recognition since the 1970s, and we still can't tell with 100% certainty whether a picture contains a bird or not.  Even if we only limit our image sample to images of very visible birds front and centre.

However, I don't think it's going to cause the harm you're talking about, since most of them already have the system built, and some even have it installed in cars already (I think the BBC article even mentions this).  Most people won't care about it, I'd imagine, so they'll continue to buy the new cars.

But again, it's the same kind of hope that by 2030, we can only buy none-ICE cars.  That won't happen, the availability of electric cars just won't be ready by then.  And governments enacted laws now restricting the sell of ICE cars by 2030 will be forced to postpone it in the mid-late-2020s.

Edited by Svip
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Its all fun and games until you get overtaken on the freeway by a fat middle aged lard on an electric bike going over the speed limit.

MRM95Jb.png

• 1 month later...
Aquamaniac

More and more freedoms are taken away from us from the EU, but we can oppose them by our votes, today are elections.

• 4 months later...

Really looking forward to this. It's been a complete mystery to me as to why the cars are produced that are capable of going over 70 mph, when there is clearly no public road in Britain where this can be used.

Questionably the only good thing to ever come out of the EU - shame we are leaving, so probably won't apply to us.

Some of us don't solely drive in the UK.

Some of us don't solely drive on public roads.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.65GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN/Heatkiller Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | EVGA GeForce RTX2080 XC @2055MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

Truly a kick to nuts of freedom and privacy, but it should be able to be bypassed or blocked.

If the function has been programmed into the ECU or other automotive computers, program them out. If it is an actual physical device, unplug it.

I am thankful for the EU to regulate the ingredients in my e-liquid, but they won't regulate whether or not I can drive 80 km/h in my town at night.

JohnXina - Discord Emojispacer.pngJohnXina - Discord Emoji

I sure hope you're not doing anywhere close 80 km/h in your town at night.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

My town is dead asleep after 11pm, so I personally don't see any issue racing down the long town exit road at that time. I do go down to the legal 50 km/h on the main street, but that's only because of drunks and the curved road that works as a chicane.

JohnXina - Discord Emojispacer.pngJohnXina - Discord Emoji