2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
JJ The Viking

What's 1 Thing You Hated About RDR2's Gameplay?

JJ The Viking

Definitely The Horse Physics IMO

sunhuntin

Same. Belting along on the horse and it avoids a rock and runs into a tree, or sees a rock and stops dead, trying to decide which was is best to shuffle around it. Funny it never does it when running from wolves...

Cutter De Blanc

Needs more campsites 

To quote Arthur: "I'll camp wherever I want!"

Hetraet

STUPID RETICULE SHAKING MAKES THE AIMING TOTALLY DULL AND UNENJOYABLE

Satanta

Honor System.

Did not like it in the first game either.

Honor is a personal thing-one persons Honor is not the same as another's.   Add in if you shoot someone out in the middle of nowhere-who is going to know for it to affect your 'Honor' except you but no one carries a sign over their own heads saying 'Honorable person' or 'Dishonorable person', yet the game acts like there is.

RJX74

Input lag.

Also those damn cores!

8 hours ago, Hetraet said:

Why the hell did they add this. I beat the game in free-aim, but the experience was horrible!

Cyper
Posted (edited)

The broken weather system.

From blue sky to clouds forming a dark layer in a matter of seconds. The weather transition is simply horrible. I have even experienced the game going from a cloudy night (dark) to a bright night (moonshine) almost in an instant. Totally break the immersion. And the you have the rain that can come literally out of the blue. Mixed with the short timecycle, some experiences, like the sunset, does not only become to short but very, very unreliable.

Then of course online since it affects the gameplay of the singleplayer experience. Online is a filthy virus.

I do love the shooting mechanics, physics of the protagonist, horses, and general controls. RDR is one of the few games that feels like you're controlling an actual human being rather than some avatar on a screen.

Edited by Cyper

RyuNova

Pressing and holding A (X on PS4) and leaving the stick alone will allow the Horse to control itself and it will dodge the obstacles you are forcing it in to. You are not driving a car, you are controlling an NPC that has its own AI. Stop fighting with it and let it do its thing.

The answer to the shaking reticle is calm the f*ck down and stop trying to Rambo everyone. Let Arthur get his breath back and retreat to give yourself more breathing room. Arthur holds his breath everytime he aims (as explained to Charlotte) so you constantly throwing him up from behind cover and aiming means he has no breath and thus cannot focus.

Satanta
2 hours ago, RyuNova said:

Pressing and holding A (X on PS4) and leaving the stick alone will allow the Horse to control itself and it will dodge the obstacles you are forcing it in to. You are not driving a car, you are controlling an NPC that has its own AI. Stop fighting with it and let it do its thing.

The answer to the shaking reticle is calm the f*ck down and stop trying to Rambo everyone. Let Arthur get his breath back and retreat to give yourself more breathing room. Arthur holds his breath everytime he aims (as explained to Charlotte) so you constantly throwing him up from behind cover and aiming means he has no breath and thus cannot focus.

I've learned to go easy on the stick but total release seems to let my horse wander off into Never-Neverland.

As far as shake?  Interesting take with the breath.  I attributed it to Combat Adrenaline dump myself.   Same reason you read how cops dump 60 or more rounds at someone and hit them twice-not that they are bad shots but the game is totally different when someone is shooting real bullets back at you.

RyuNova
36 minutes ago, Satanta said:

I've learned to go easy on the stick but total release seems to let my horse wander off into Never-Neverland.

As far as shake?  Interesting take with the breath.  I attributed it to Combat Adrenaline dump myself.   Same reason you read how cops dump 60 or more rounds at someone and hit them twice-not that they are bad shots but the game is totally different when someone is shooting real bullets back at you.

No, you dont release the stick completely and let the Horse wander or it will do just that. As you are nearing obstacles like trees and such let the stick go and let the Horse navigate then take the reins again.

It could be either, I am just saying that you need to let Arthur catch his breath and keep your head down for a while and the camera shake will stop.

TheSantader25

Law system. 

SonOfLiberty

I don't really "hate" anything, but the lack of fast travel options is a bit of a bummer.

Leviath4n
Posted (edited)

- Arthur wears a mask and in any case, the law knows who he is.

- Weather system, because it rains and after  real 5 minutes it stops raining.

- Bet little money on poker

Edited by Leviath4n

Equatecurl
On 3/21/2019 at 5:57 PM, Hetraet said:

I love that tbh

1 hour ago, American Venom said:

I don't really "hate" anything, but the lack of fast travel options is a bit of a bummer.

Yeah this is also mine

Dan_1983

How lazy the other camp members are. 

SonOfLiberty
27 minutes ago, Dan_1983 said:

How lazy the other camp members are. 

Now you mention it I have to admit I dislike that Arthur is the ONLY one that contributes to the camp and the others sit around on their arses all day long. Couldn't someone chop the wood or feed the horses when he's not around? It's like old west babysitting.

Dan_1983
1 hour ago, American Venom said:

Now you mention it I have to admit I dislike that Arthur is the ONLY one that contributes to the camp and the others sit around on their arses all day long. Couldn't someone chop the wood or feed the horses when he's not around? It's like old west babysitting.

It's why I constantly antagonize Uncle and Swanson. Both lazy drunks who contribute nothing.

RyuNova
Posted (edited)
On 3/24/2019 at 2:42 AM, American Venom said:

They do, I have seen John cutting wood and Kieran moves the sacks and hay.

Edited by RyuNova

JC Hammer

The terrible AI that hasn't been improved since GTAV. 

NPC's still go suicidal and swerve right into you, only in RDR2 it makes cinema mode useless....

SuperJude™
On 3/20/2019 at 8:05 AM, JJ The Viking said:

Definitely The Horse Physics IMO

100%

Magnetically attracted to rocks where they get stuck for 5-10 seconds. Gliding the opposite direction of where you are steering and running into trees, rocks, cacti. Unable to up or down 3 foot inclines with regularity. Etc. 

RyuNova
14 hours ago, SuperJude™ said:

100%

Magnetically attracted to rocks where they get stuck for 5-10 seconds. Gliding the opposite direction of where you are steering and running into trees, rocks, cacti. Unable to up or down 3 foot inclines with regularity. Etc. 

Horses have their own AI and their own survival instinct. 

Stop trying to kill your horse and treating it like a dirt bike and you will have better luck.

SuperJude™
3 hours ago, RyuNova said:

Horses have their own AI and their own survival instinct. 

Stop trying to kill your horse and treating it like a dirt bike and you will have better luck.

There's always one...

Countless videos out there illustrating exactly what I'm talking about, a total lack of control, magnetic attraction, etc but this guy chimes in with a response that sounds like it was written by the old Cigarette Company ad people. "It's not that the horses have glitchy handling at times it's that you, the user, is doing it incorrectly"

Oooooookay

RyuNova
46 minutes ago, SuperJude™ said:

There's always one...

Countless videos out there illustrating exactly what I'm talking about, a total lack of control, magnetic attraction, etc but this guy chimes in with a response that sounds like it was written by the old Cigarette Company ad people. "It's not that the horses have glitchy handling at times it's that you, the user, is doing it incorrectly"

Oooooookay

Unbunch your knickers and stop being sarcastic. People only use sarcasm to cover the fact that they see flaws in their own arguments.

Why would anyone have the need to post a video of the system working correctly? You will obviously find videos of people crying about the system they dont understand. Like I said, stop fighting the Horses AI and let it do its thing. Hold the X button (A on Xbox) and leave the stick alone and the Horse will guide itself around objects like trees.

You also do realise that you unlock special abilities the more you bond with your Horse? Like the ability to do skid turns, "drift" and have your horse skid so its facing the opposite direction. Sounds like you are doing these things by accident. Stop trying to ride your Horse up mountain sides and you might have a better day. This is RDR2 and not Skyrim.

~INDIO~
On 3/22/2019 at 4:04 PM, RyuNova said:

That's all fine but the enemies are too accurate for that play style a lot of the time

~INDIO~
On 3/24/2019 at 2:42 AM, American Venom said:

And then Dutch has the nerve to tell you to work more and contribute more money when you stop for a day. He should get off his brainwashed arse and put a shift in, instead of quoting from idiotic books and looking like a tit all the time.

Lance_Vance89
Posted (edited)
On 3/24/2019 at 3:42 AM, American Venom said:

I think the other gangmembers are doing stuff that doesn't ''affect'' Arthur's story. Like the girls sewing and things, some of them are lookouts for the camp during Arthur's adventures, it's already been mentioned that Kieran walks with hay and doing stuff with saddles (probably only his saddle, but with a bit of a stretch of imagination you can say it's everybody's saddles). Tbh, the only layabouts are Uncle, Swanson, Molly, Hosea (but he's old, so he probably gets a pass by the gang) and Dutch (if you don't count scheming as work).

Edited by Lance_Vance89

CalgaryJay
On 3/22/2019 at 5:35 AM, Cyper said:

Mixed with the short timecycle, some experiences, like the sunset, does not only become to short but very, very unreliable.

I actually loved the weather in this game..watching a storm roll in is amazing! If I'm just free-roaming, sometimes I'll just stop what I'm doing and watch the sky as it unfolds.

But yes, my one knock on it is the day \ night cycle is WAY too fast..especially playing this right after AC: Odyssey, which had probably the best day \ night cycle I've ever seen - sunrises & sunsets last for a long time in that game. Slow it down and allow us to enjoy your weather masterpiece, R*!!

mehoe123

The slow horse controls especially on the streets of St Denis. The horse is to figidity i find, always running over people

confederatestatesgta

having to clean your gun. i mean sure i get that they wanted to make the game more realistic. but it just feels like a chore. and plus i hate how it makes my gun look and sound crappy. not to mention its just another way of wasting money in red dead online.

LeonVegaSuarez

I hate that we're not able to ask gang members come with us, just free roaming, especially since Rockstar really made it look it was a thing in the trailers. I would love to take Charles and John with me to hunt or shoot up Hanging Dog Ranch or something.