1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

ALifeOfMisery

RED DEAD ONLINE BETA: THE ROAD AHEAD (19/3/19)

ALifeOfMisery
3 minutes ago, netnow66 said:

Don't misunderstand, I've read some of your other comments and I see you're anti griefer (kudos to you).

While I agree that we will have to wait and see how the new changes play out, if both players are in defensive mode, why are they even attempting to cross paths? Would this be an instance of an offensive player (cowardly) trying to take advantage of the system?

The way I see it, if I'm playing defensively, I'm not even remotely interested in crossing paths with anyone while in free roam.

But, again, I guess we'll have to see how the different permutations of the upcoming system play out, and I agree that different lobbies would solve it all. I guess it may take us continually complaining to Rockstar if this doesn't work.

I agree, I'll be in Defensive mode, because I'm not an aggressive player, I want to be left alone as far as PvP is concerned, hunt, fish and roleplay.

Some players will undoubtedly use Defensive mode so they can position themselves for sneak attacks. Without private lobbies, griefers will always find a way to grief, it's inevitable.

Tha-Jamz
5 minutes ago, ALifeOfMisery said:

You're preaching to the choir mate. I have, and continue to, send feedback every single day (the RDO feedback site is my browser homepage) asking for Friendly Public, Free Aim and Invite Only lobby types.

I'll continue this for as long as I play RDO, or until lobby options are implemented.

However, I think we probably have to face up to the reality that lobby options aren't coming. R* aren't going to the lengths of coming up with these (unnecessarily) convoluted systems only to introduce lobby types which would completely negate the need for such systems further down the line.

Griefers are going to grief, they'll find a way. It's one of the very unfortunate realities of online gaming, that where there is scope for someone to act like a d*ckhead, someone will take that opportunity, almost without fail.

R* could solve this with lobby types, but they seem to have a raging erection over having all play styles mingled at all times.

As for things like weapons griefers might use, yeah they probably will. The game will get to a point where the explosive ammo and dynamite arrows etc. are in regular use, that's what happens in perpetual games. 

In the absence of lobby options with no locked content, griefing can't be stamped out. As that isn't happening, I'd rather R* attempt to make griefing as difficult as possible, which is what they seem to be intent on, rather than do nothing, or in the case of GTAO, actually enable griefing.

Just like IRL, I'm not going to criticize anyone for trying to accomplish something positive, even if it fails. But I'll come down hard on those that don't try at all.

Hide contents

I genuinely never envisaged myself actually coming down on the side of R* as much as I have done these last two days.

I've spent pretty much since Gunrunning calling out R* on their sh*tty handling of GTAO over in the GTAO section. 

I feel like I need a shower lol.

I'm sure it will result in losing more and more players, and maybe the game will bleed out, i hope R* and Take Two will see its gonna hurt them big time money wise, cause thats all they care about.

Still many players cant play (cant even connect to the game) many get disconnected every 10 minutes, PVE players walking away and so do many free aim lovers.

So already R* lost a pretty big chunk of players.

And if their so called solutions dont work or all of this takes to long, the game will bleed out soon enough. ( i hope so, only because maybe they wake the f... up soon !)

P.T.
10 minutes ago, Tha-Jamz said:

I'm sure it will result in losing more and more players, and maybe the game will bleed out, i hope R* and Take Two will see its gonna hurt them big time money wise, cause thats all they care about.

Still many players cant play (cant even connect to the game) many get disconnected every 10 minutes, PVE players walking away and so do many free aim lovers.

And if their so called solutions dont work or all of this takes to long, the game will bleed out soon enough. ( i hope so, only because maybe they wake the f... up soon !)

There is def a big loss of players already . Rockstar sees it and this is their "solution" . As many have said, griefers will just find new ways to do it. It wont stop it. Maybe slow it down alittle but the only real solution is staring them right in the face and is already created. The whole " they dont want to split the playerbase" thought is just stupid and not based in reality . Because by NOT giving us what we are asking for , they are still splitting the player base. Why? because many will "split" from the player base all together and stop playing ( or have yet to play due to this current system), thus the player base shrinks anyway. Its just flat out dumb to think providing people what they want is a bad idea here. Sure you will "split" the player base into two groups. However , your still keeping that entire player base and maybe getting more in because your providing what they desire. Those who want the autoheadshot way can play that way and easily grief people all day long. Those who cant stand that can play with others who cant stand that in a free aim or private/crew only lobby. That is the only way to keep the player base #s overall high. Because once people see they find ways around this to still be able to grief, then people will just leave again in mass.

MXVC
Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Tha-Jamz said:

RDO had the best solution for griefing from the start in parlay. That's all that was really needed. If you redefine griefing as anytime another player interacts with you without asking nicely then ALL PvP has to be severely crippled or eliminated. Then you're left with a nice little hunting sim. Most people do not go online to disappear into the forest by themselves or with a small group. That's what single player, co-op and invite only are designed for. Much as people moan about PvP on this forum, all the most popular games embrace it. GTAO is successful for a reason. Other games like Fallout76 that cripple player interaction are failures. RDO will soon be right behind it. 

Edited by MXVC

Talisman_83
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, MXVC said:

Most people do not go online to disappear into the forest by themselves or with a small group.

I don't know man. On average, any lobby I enter usually consists of 70% blue dots, who, when I come across any, are hunting and we give each other a wide berth.

Its clear that the majority subscribe to that playstyle.

Secondly, parlay isn't an answer to griefing, as all a griefer has to do is follow you around the map until it expires.

Edited by Talisman_83

ALifeOfMisery
2 minutes ago, MXVC said:

That's what single player...are designed for. 

No, you can't create your own character and use that character in a persistent environment in SP.

3 minutes ago, MXVC said:

That's what co-op and invite only are designed for.

I fully agree with this, they should be options.

4 minutes ago, MXVC said:

The problem is that in order make griefing 'as difficult as possible' ALL PvP has to be severely crippled or eliminated.

Again, no. ALL PvP isn't being eradicated, just unwanted PvP. Bring up the map, look where the red blips are, more often than not you find some consensual freeroam PvP.

7 minutes ago, MXVC said:

Most people do not go online to disappear into the forest by themselves or with a small group.

You'd be surprised. Just look at the outcry from players asking for friendly and invite only lobbies. The most requested missing feature by far (private lobbies), is precisely because so many players want to disappear into the forest, hunt and fish alone or in small groups.

20 minutes ago, MXVC said:

Other games like Fallout76 that cripple player interaction are failures

The entirety of Fallout 76 was so sh*t that's it's impossible to blame the PvP system alone for it's failure.

Also player interaction isn't limited to PvP.

P.T.
2 minutes ago, ALifeOfMisery said:

Again, no. ALL PvP isn't being eradicated, just unwanted PvP. Bring up the map, look where the red blips are, more often than not you find some consensual freeroam PvP.

You see, he has a clear problem with reading comprehension. That is why he keeps claiming things like this. Ignoring the facts of what people have actually stated over and over. Kind of mind boggling he does not get that no one is asking for ALL PvP to be crippled at all or eliminated. Just unwanted BS to be stopped . Because not everyone wants to play every game like its COD.

MXVC
1 hour ago, Talisman_83 said:

I don't know man. On average, any lobby I enter usually consists of 70% blue dots, who, when I come across any, are hunting and we give each other a wide berth.

Its clear that the majority subscribe to that playstyle.

Secondly, parlay isn't an answer to griefing, as all a griefer has to do is follow you around the map until it expires.

That obsevation doesn't mean much because: 

1. Many players who initially enjoyed the free roam experience have self-selected themselves out of the game.

2. It can be difficult to even find other players for long periods of time. 

3. Many players who prefer PvE often also enjoy short bursts of PvP activity not necessarily making them visible on the map.

As for your second point, you are bringing up a rare exception. And in order to control for every situation you have to develop convoluted systems like R* is implementing that cripple PvP.

You know what, these arguments are senseless. Let's all have a look at the numbers one year from now (if R* releases them).

P.T.
1 minute ago, MXVC said:

1. Many players who initially enjoyed the free roam experience have self-selected themselves out of the game.

3. Many players who prefer PvE often also enjoy short bursts of PvP activity not necessarily making them visible on the map.

2- Not sure , you must be playing by yourself in a lobby then. Any time ive joined a free roam session , i can clearly see several players with red dots running around at any time . So i dont buy this, unless you are talking about trying to find people minding their own business, in which case you should not be seeing them and would indicate thats who your looking for to grief. Ive actually never ever had a problem finding people on the map, even with the current new system. Blue and Red so i just dont get the big deal here. 

MXVC

Not everything is so black and white. Some red players are friendly, depends on why they are red. On the other hand blue dots are often aggressive. Besides these obvious issues, red players on the map may be on the other side. Encounters with other players should be somewhat organic.

Talisman_83
21 minutes ago, MXVC said:

As for your second point, you are bringing up a rare exception. And in order to control for every situation you have to develop convoluted systems like R* is implementing that cripple PvP.

You know what, these arguments are senseless. Let's all have a look at the numbers one year from now (if R* releases them).

What are you talking about, "self-selected themselves out of the game" ? They're playing the game. I am. I'm in freeroam hunting. Is that not "the game" ?

I find my friends pretty easily - we join a posse together.

Those PVE players who enjoy short bursts of PVP - like me - can easily find other like-minded players. They're usually red dots. Easy to find.

Rare by whose standards? Yours? I imagine situations like that occur more than you think.

P.T.
Just now, MXVC said:

Besides these obvious issues, red players on the map may be on the other side. Encounters with other players should be somewhat organic.

Its called fast travel for a reason.... just saying . Just admit you prefer to troll people minding their own business. Its rather clear.

ALifeOfMisery
7 minutes ago, MXVC said:

On the other hand blue dots are often aggressive.

Completely anecdotal.

I could quite easily say most blue blips I encounter are friendly. In fact, especially since passing level 100, most players, regardless of blip colour, have been friendly towards me.

But neither of our statements carry any real weight, because there's no evidence or numbers to back them up.

As @P.T. said, you're coming across as the type of player who looks to harass players who are minding their own business, which is leading to your complaints over features which aren't in the game yet for us to even know fully how they work.

P.T.

biggest issue is we gonna be speculating how this will really work for another 2 months before we see it...... man Rockstar is dragging this beta thing out .

netnow66
Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, MXVC said:

RDO had the best solution for griefing from the start in parlay. That's all that was really needed. If you redefine griefing as anytime another player interacts with you without asking nicely then ALL PvP has to be severely crippled or eliminated. Then you're left with a nice little hunting sim. Most people do not go online to disappear into the forest by themselves or with a small group. That's what single player, co-op and invite only are designed for. Much as people moan about PvP on this forum, all the most popular games embrace it. GTAO is successful for a reason. Other games like Fallout76 that cripple player interaction are failures. RDO will soon be right behind it. 

Parlay is crap.

If this game knew how to PvP correctly, there wouldn't be a problem. Two players deciding to duke it out is PvP to me, not one player making that decision for both.

You headshotting me when I spawn in, when I'm fishing, when I'm walking to a fast travel hitch or when I'm going to the butcher with a hog in my arms is griefing. You seem to feel that my selecting parlay after you've already killed me once is representative of PvP and should be acceptable. Some of us disagree and see it as griefing.

I can't wait to select defensive to at least attempt to avoid every offensive player in this game while in free roam. And if it doesn't work as intended, that's what the feedback is for. I'd like to think that feedback, along with complaints and dwindling numbers, is partly what got us this defensive/offensive system. 

Edited by netnow66

MXVC
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, netnow66 said:

Parlay is crap.

If this game knew how to PvP correctly, there wouldn't be a problem. Two players deciding to duke it out is PvP to me, not one player making that decision for both.

You headshotting me when I spawn in, when I'm fishing, when I'm walking to a fast travel hitch or when I'm going to the butcher with a hog in my arms is griefing. You seem to feel that my selecting parlay after you've already killed me once is representative of PvP and should be acceptable. Some of us disagree and see it as griefing.

I can't wait to select defensive to at least attempt to avoid every offensive player in this game while in free roam. And if it doesn't work as intended, that's what the feedback is for. I'd like to think that feedback, along with complaints and dwindling numbers, is partly what got us this defensive/offensive system. 

So, what we need is a system where players ask you in advance if it is okay to PvP?

"Press X to allow Bob to attack your wagon."

Again, most of the ideas floating around here simply eliminate the free roam PvP aspect of the game altogether. 

Edited by MXVC

netnow66
4 hours ago, MXVC said:

So, what we need is a system where players ask you in advance if it is okay to PvP?

Again, most of the ideas floating around here simply eliminate the free roam PvP aspect of the game altogether. 

It was known as mutual combat back in the Wild West. Two guys wanted a gunfight and that was it. The law didn't get involved.

It you griefed someone by "headshotting me when I spawn in, when I'm fishing, when I'm walking to a fast travel hitch or when I'm going to the butcher with a hog in my arms," that wasn't legal and you could be hung.

There's nothing equal to hanging in RDO free roam. If there were, we'd have fewer griefers. I suggested to Rockstar in feedback that the griefer should lose 10 levels or half their money per offense. I'd almost gladly take the death in that case, knowing the offender screwed himself so badly.

Talisman_83
7 hours ago, MXVC said:

No, we don't.

What you CAN do instead, is go pick fights with other red dots that are fighting. I'm pretty sure you won't need to ask permission from them to shoot.

What more do you want?

People who are fishing, for instance, are clearly not bothering anyone. Leave those guys alone.

Chrismads

Any news or dates for when they'll release purchasable wagons? Have they even mentioned it yet?

ALifeOfMisery
3 minutes ago, Chrismads said:

Any news or dates for when they'll release purchasable wagons? Have they even mentioned it yet?

No official mention, they we're part of the pre release "leak" alongside properties.

Chrismads
15 minutes ago, ALifeOfMisery said:

No official mention, they we're part of the pre release "leak" alongside properties.

Sucks it has to take this long. Wagons and properties would really spice up the game again

raysis

Wagons would be very great, then we could hunt and carry more then just one big animal or one big fish.

Would also be cool if they was weaponized. Got to have some extra protection when one carry valubles.

I guess this is coming, but it would probably take a couple years 😂

ALifeOfMisery

For anyone who missed the "leak" when it happened.

Vehicles

Properties

elfoam
On 3/23/2019 at 12:25 AM, Tha-Jamz said:

Sinds R* keeps asking for feedback we should all be mailing them thru the feedback option with this link: https://gtaforums.com/forum/432-red-dead-online/

Every single day...

I don't agree with this.. If rockstar want to know what people want they can read the forum like everyone else. When you start employing you as a game designer then you can go give them ideas. Until then, it's their job.

raysis
14 hours ago, ALifeOfMisery said:

For anyone who missed the "leak" when it happened.

Vehicles

Properties

Very interesting! Lets hope this is reality during this year. Thanks for sharing, not many leaks anymore to find out there...

Stupidis
Posted (edited)

Has the way you respawn changed? Logged in for the first time in several weeks since I thought the "spring update" was already here with new story missions, le mat revolver, etc. Just half a minute in I get shot by some idiot outside the gunsmith in St Denis. Used parlay and spawned way out in the bayou.

Animal spawning also seem bugged as hell still. Saw maybe five gators outside St Denis. Shot one and skinned it. Then the rest of the crocs had disappeared.

Edited by Stupidis

Rafae S
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Stupidis said:

Has the way you respawn changed? Logged in for the first time in several weeks since I thought the "spring update" was already here with new story missions, le mat revolver, etc. Just half a minute in I get shot by some idiot outside the gunsmith in St Denis. Used parlay and spawned way out in the bayou.

Animal spawning also seem bugged as hell still. Saw maybe five gators outside St Denis. Shot one and skinned it. Then the rest of the crocs had disappeared.

The parlay system is f*cked. Only when you enter it do you spawn so far away from where you last were.

Edited by Rafae S

Mad-Monkey_1st
3 hours ago, Stupidis said:

Five gators ? you lucky bugger thats a rare sight now 

Stupidis
8 minutes ago, GTP_Monkey said:

Five gators ? you lucky bugger thats a rare sight now 

Well. They were there. Then not. So I don't know if I would say I was lucky. It's more like R* doing something like this:

tenor.gif?itemid=5714895