1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

ALifeOfMisery

RED DEAD ONLINE BETA: THE ROAD AHEAD (19/3/19)

LeftTurnus

It is heading in a direction I may find more interesting. Still on the fence and generally stay away from RDO right now.

Myself I think the PvP needs to be totally structured but that is just me.

Whether in the Showdown modes, or in free roam a person can challenge someone, which must be accepted first by the person challenged before any killing happens.

We'll see how this Offensive/Defensive thing plays out...

rebel-yin

It's hard to believe most people are so sensititive to their character occasionally getting attacked that they'd rather the game be completely neutered. 

It’s hard to believe some people are so sensitive to the their character NOT being able to attack someone just because they suddenly get the urge/need to make themselves feel better, or allowing someone to play the way THEY want to, as long as they are not bothering someone else!  Players who prefer PVP have game modes (showdown, etc.) available to them. So why are they so critical towards player who prefer PvE?? 

MXVC

Players who prefer PVP have game modes (showdown, etc.) available to them. So why are they so critical towards player who prefer PvE?? 

And players who prefer only PvE have single player mode. Not everyone likes the structured game modes. The same question in reverse: Why are you so critical towards players who prefer a balanced level of free roam PvP in a game basically designed for it? It's ironic that has become the greatest sin on a forum site dedicated to the king of PvP games. 

Happy Hunter

Is Rockstar really the king of PvP games?

I do most of my fighting in showdown modes. In free mode I wave at people, don't even care much if I die. Which is weird, because in GTA I do nearly all of it in free mode. But there you have vehicles and features that you miss out on in structured matches. Here, not so much. Less spawnkilling I guess? But then you have bounties etc., so I just do showdowns.

The defensive mode, or whatever's being argued about - my first impression wasn't good. Could be okay though. Just gonna have to wait and see.

Assblaster
Posted (edited)

MXVC wrote:

And players who prefer only PvE have single player mode. Not everyone likes the structured game modes. The same question in reverse: Why are you so critical towards players who prefer a balanced level of free roam PvP in a game basically designed for it? It's ironic that has become the greatest sin on a forum site dedicated to the king of PvP games. 

And so the online version is strictly for you and those like you? I don't think so. The online game allows us to make our own characters and experience life in 1899: it's for everyone to enjoy, not just warmongers.

Listen, the game is being balanced so as to be fair to everyone. Some such as yourself may not like it because they want it their way, but it is what it is: I'm afraid you'll have the choice to either adapt to it or leave it. That's it, and no amount of crying will make it otherwise. You can wail, moan and cry to heart's content in the B&M section, if it makes you feel better, but you're better off adapting to the game or finding one better suited to you. Because this is the evolution of the game, it is R*'s vision, and its final plan is solidarity for all its players.

There are elements for all players in the final form this game is going to take in late spring 2019: rpg elements for role-players, pvp modes for those who love constant warfare, pve elements for those who love those aspects, and a freeroam plan that allows all players a fair pursuit of their own happiness no matter what it is. 

Everyone has to adapt to coexist in freeroam as it will soon be. Energy is best spent getting used to the game as it inevitably will be, not squabbling and squawking to no avail.

Edited by Assblaster

Pocket Fox

I find it totally amazing how there was no massive divide between the PvP/PvE community in RDR1 back in 2010. Like, we didn't need a convoluted trash parlay, blip, defensive/offensive piece of garbage system... you just played in either a Friendly or Adversarial lobby.

9 years later... R* seems either incompetent or incapable of understanding this.

Prepare for a ridiculous see-saw effect where R* will over compensate back and forth between the two types of playerbases. Pissing off both and pleasing no one until their microtransactions and player numbers dwindle to next to nothing.

R* might make great open world games, but they seem completely incompetent when it comes to balancing them.

netnow66

I find it totally amazing how there was no massive divide between the PvP/PvE community in RDR1 back in 2010. Like, we didn't need a convoluted trash parlay, blip, defensive/offensive piece of garbage system... you just played in either a Friendly or Adversarial lobby.

9 years later... R* seems either incompetent or incapable of understanding this.

Prepare for a ridiculous see-saw effect where R* will over compensate back and forth between the two types of playerbases. Pissing off both and pleasing no one until their microtransactions and player numbers dwindle to next to nothing.

R* might make great open world games, but they seem completely incompetent when it comes to balancing them.

It's beyond me how Rockstar had Friendly and Adversarial lobbies in the first game and don't have them now. It's obvious to me that now there is even more of a need for anti grief/anti bully lobbies in this game.

I'll start playing again when the new changes are implemented. 

tonko

Multiple lobby choices for every playing style on RDR 1. Here, we're all jammmed together. Ability card lovers and haters, auto aimers, free aimers, PVP-ers and PVE-ers. 

ALifeOfMisery
Posted (edited)

Is Rockstar really the king of PvP games? - @Happy Hunter

(Quoting, among other features, is broken for me on mobile)

They just aren't, are they. Mostly because the games start out as open world, single player, 100% PvE experiences, which then get PvP tacked onto them in online.

I've nothing against PvP, I enjoyed sniping the 1v1 at beach players and taking down Jets, Deluxos and Broomsticks immensely in GTAO. There's also a certain satisfaction to putting an ex/ex round in a low level scrub who thought it would be funny to try and shoot you from behind in RDO.

But anyone who wants a well rounded, quality PvP experience should be looking elsewhere. 

I don't mean that in a "f*ck off and play something else" way, i simply mean that players who want a lobby full of players who all want to shoot each other, who want a real PvP challenge, would probably find a game like Apex Legends far more gratifying.

Unless, as always, they just hide behind "PeeVeePee" and really just want easy, unsuspecting, unwilling targets. In that case GTAO is probably a better fit by the looks of things.

*Not directed at you HH, you just happened to ask the question.

Edited by ALifeOfMisery

Mad-Monkey_1st

Hopefully, I’m looking forward to them opening as well.

you can go into the the theatre in St Denis, the one near the station/post office

fryday

you forgot one major point: coop pve!! pve is not storymode its teaming up with friends to play against environment 😉

Mad-Monkey_1st

It’s hard to believe some people are so sensitive to the their character NOT being able to attack someone just because they suddenly get the urge/need to make themselves feel better, or allowing someone to play the way THEY want to, as long as they are not bothering someone else!  Players who prefer PVP have game modes (showdown, etc.) available to them. So why are they so critical towards player who prefer PvE?? 

Because they want the easy kill and then jump lobby as scared to face the player they just shot, and they are not good enough to get their kicks in showdowns, A bullet in the back whilst fishing hunting or just riding up behind is how these cowards work

ALifeOfMisery

Why  are you so critical towards players who prefer a balanced level of free roam PvP in a game basically designed for it? - @MXVC

The game isn't basically designed for freeroam PvP though. RDO uses the same framework as single player RDR2. RDO is a single player game which has had multiplayer and PvP tacked on to it.

Also, as I've said earlier in this thread, look at the direction in which R* is taking RDO. R* clearly want PvP to be either structured or consensual. They don't want player A imposing PvP upon player B against the wishes of player B.

As for players who prefer balanced freeroam PvP, they should probably seek out different games from different developers, because one thing R* are completely useless at is balanced PvP.

rusbeckia
Posted (edited)

I don't mean that in a "f*ck off and play something else" way, i simply mean that players who want a lobby full of players who all want to shoot each other, who want a real PvP challenge, would probably enjoy a game like Apex Legends far more gratifying.

I get your point. But I know from experience that a lot of players (myself included) like the PvP aspect mixed with PvE as it is right now. I have no interest in constantly killing everybody, but I want to have the possibility, if things happen to evolve in a certain, hostile direction. 

For me and a lot of other players PvP is just part of the whole package, which doesn‘t mean that I don‘t like PvE. It‘s just the mixup of it that makes this game interesting imo. 

And yes, there‘s a tremendous difference between PvP-modes and PvP in freeroam. PvP in freeroam has a dynamic to it, which is just exciting. Showdown get boring pretty soon cause it‘s always the same. 

In freeroam PvP you have basically an almost endless variety of gunfights between each other. Shotgun in the damp swamps, sniper-fights in the desert, lassoing wannabegriefers, etc, etc,

I‘d love it if the game gets lobby choices for all of you who just don‘t like the PvP aspect. But if they‘d be implemented they‘d need to make a mixed lobby like it is right now too. If it‘s only PvE OR PvP I and a few other people I know would most likely stop playing.

oh and f*ck Apex, COD, Pubg, fortnite and whatnot. I have basically no interest in a plain shooter.

it‘s the whole setting of RDR, the full package so-to-say which makes it a nice dynamic PvP/PvE experience imo, that‘s something completely different than a shooter.

Edited by rusbeckia

Shane_Dbns
Posted (edited)

Can't be the king of PvP when your combat system is based on an archaic lock-on system from the Ps2 era and features abilities cards that heavily disadvantage lower level players.

I'd probably be more inclined to engage in PvP if it was actually fun but it's not so until Hardcore servers come, I want Rockstar to focus more on PvE

Edited by Shane_Dbns

Bully2comingsoon

you can go into the the theatre in St Denis, the one near the station/post office

I mean opening as in show times. Right now the building is still vacant isn’t it?

tonko

Is Rockstar really the king of PvP games? - @Happy Hunter

Definitely not. What happened with RDR 1 online PVP was a fluke.

ALifeOfMisery
Posted (edited)

@rusbeckia, sorry, quotes are broken for me.

Regardless of how hard R* might be trying, RDO needs lobby options, I completely agree.

I like PvP when it's done well. For all the failings of GTAO, Business Battles are one of the best additions to be introduced to the game, freeroam PvP which actually has a purpose and doesn't put anyone an an inherent disadvantage, such as driving a Post OP van.

I fully accept that structured PvP and freeroam PvP have totally different vibes. The trouble with freeroam PvP is it being thrust upon players that don't want it, as there will always be those players who think it's fun to shoot someone while they're fishing or whatever. 

This is mostly R*s fault, because lobby types would solve this issue in the most part. But, as R* seem intent upon having PvP, PvE, free aim and auto aim in the same lobbies, they have to (well they don't have to, but are clearly choosing to) address the issue of toxicity within the player base.

Personally I think R* realize that RDO doesn't have the mass appeal of GTAO, it never will, and while constant conflict, OP weapons and ever more ludicrous and OP vehicles can drive a game like GTAO, the scope just isn't there to push RDO in that direction.

I think, any level of success and sustainability RDO can have will be driven by taking the game down a more roleplay driven direction and all the changes and additions R* are implementing make me think that R* might think the same thing.

As I've said, I'm not against freeroam PvP, Stranger missions are clearly meant to have a potential PvP element, fueds are great, but I don't think anyone can sufficiently argue that the ability to force PvP upon a player who has no interest in engaging in PvP is a good thing.

Edited by ALifeOfMisery

Lord-Sam
Posted (edited)

Defensive mode is going to kill the online experience.

I wasn't even aware we needed a defensive mode.

Your player blip can easily be hidden on the map. You can parlay after 1 death. And other players receive a bounty for killing you.

So the current state of free roam is fine the way it is.  I rarely get killed by other players as it is right now since the latest update.

If I wanted to make an "Easy escape" I would just turn on slippery bastard.

Edited by Lord-Sam

Dr.Rosenthal

I’ve missed out on some pieces of this discussion, but I don’t understand the critique coming from the pro-PvP side. There obviously will still be room for a lot of PvP in sessions. The game will not be ”neutered” in any way.

The only people who are saddened by these news are those that realize that their targets will be other PvP-oriented players who most likely will fight back fiercely if they’re being attacked.

So you can’t easily just shoot anyone in the back anymore and get away with it. Sorry, but I’m not sorry you’ll be robbed of that ”PvP-experience”.

ALifeOfMisery

I’ve missed out on some pieces of this discussion, but I don’t understand the critique coming from the pro-PvP side. There obviously will still be room for a lot of PvP in sessions. The game will not be ”neutered” in any way.

The only people who are saddened by these news are those that realize that their targets will be other PvP-oriented players who most likely will fight back fiercely if they’re being attacked.

So you can’t easily just shoot anyone in the back anymore and get away with it. Sorry, but I’m not sorry you’ll be robbed of that ”PvP-experience”.

Hit the nail on the head.

Which is why my response to posts like this

Defensive mode is going to kill the online experience.

I wasn't even aware we needed a defensive mode.

Your player blip can easily be hidden on the map. You can parlay after 1 death. And other players receive a bounty for killing you.

So the current state of free roam is fine the way it is.  I rarely get killed by other players as it is right now since the latest update.

If I wanted to make an "Easy escape" I would just turn on slippery bastard.

Can be easily summed up with

NJMY0tb.gif

Lord-Sam
Posted (edited)

Turn on defensive mode so you can't be locked on and take less damage.

Roll up to a random innocent player, throw dynamite at them.

It's going to be even easier to shoot people in the back now.

Hit the nail on the head.

Which is why my response to posts like this

Can be easily summed up with

NJMY0tb.gif

But I wasn't crying? If anything I was supporting the current anti griefing measures we have now and I feel adding more is absurd at this point. Just create different lobbies.

Do you got anything other than posting reaction gifs of women? You're not even debating, you're just trying to bait people with gifs.

Edited by Lord-Sam

Dr.Rosenthal
Posted (edited)

@Lord-Sam Ok, so what are you trying to say? If a player does that, they’re immediately marked as hostile and can’t keep their defensive status anymore, hence limiting further griefing.

Listen, I realize there will probably still be issues and griefing won’t be completely eradicated, but it’s a step in the right direction. Some losers will still use exploits like the one you described, but it’ll mark them as hostile.

I just hope they continue to make it so that hostile players will become ”high-profile” targets for other PvP players. I’d love to roam around the map and spank ”griefers” into submission. 🤷‍♂️

And like I said; from a purely PvP perspective; what’s the issue? There will be plenty of PvP action still - probably better PvP action even.

Edited by Dr.Rosenthal

ALifeOfMisery
Posted (edited)

But I wasn't crying? If anything I was supporting the current anti griefing measures we have now and I feel adding more is absurd at this point. Just create different lobbies.

Do you got anything other than posting reaction gifs of women? You're not even debating, you're just trying to bait people with gifs.

Almost every thread and post you make is practically brimming with tears. Your post history says everything, you're a change averse troll.

You're getting reaction gif responses because that is what your whiny posts deserve.

I don't know what has irked you enough to specifically complain about those GIFs being of females though? Do I even want to know?

As for debate, look up, look back pages, I'll go into detail and at length, to debate and discuss well made points, queries and arguments.

Baiting? I don't bait. I'll say, or portray, exactly what I think. To be perfectly honest whether you respond or not, and the content of any responses doesn't particularly concern me.

Edited by ALifeOfMisery

Lord-Sam
Posted (edited)

@Lord-Sam Ok, so what are you trying to say? If a player does that, they’re immediately marked as hostile and can’t keep their defensive status anymore, hence limiting further griefing.

Listen, I realize there will probably still be issues and griefing won’t be completely eradicated, but it’s a step in the right direction. Some losers will still use exploits like the one you described, but it’ll mark them as hostile.

I just hope they continue to make it so that hostile players will become ”high-profile” targets for other PvP players. I’d love to roam around the map and spank ”griefers” into submission. 🤷‍♂️

And like I said; from a purely PvP perspective; what’s the issue? There will be plenty of PvP action still - probably better PvP action even.

So if it's anything like passive mode in GTAO which I am assuming it is because the flag in your camp is the same system.

After about a minute you'll probably be able to turn back on defensive mode. Which gives you enough time to f*ck someone up, run away to the next person and repeat.

Not only that but blue dots have been griefing me harder than red dots in this game right now. So how do you know for sure blue dots aren't griefers?

Almost every thread and post you make is practically brimming with tears. Your post history says everything, you're a change averse troll.

Ad hominem.

Edited by Lord-Sam

ALifeOfMisery
Posted (edited)

As our wise uncle Crokey once said, if you're in a discussion that isn't going anywhere, don't continue it.

Or words to that effect anyway.

✌️&❤️

Edited by ALifeOfMisery

Lord-Sam
Posted (edited)

As our wise uncle Crokey once said, if you're in a discussion that isn't going anywhere, don't continue it.

Is that why you post random gifs of women that do not continue discussion in any way, certainly not a positive way?

Not to mention the rampant ad hominem you provide.

Edited by Lord-Sam

Sam Doe

So if it's anything like passive mode in GTAO which I am assuming it is because the flag in your camp is the same system.

After about a minute you'll probably be able to turn back on defensive mode. Which gives you enough time to f*ck someone up, run away to the next person and repeat.

Not only that but blue dots have been griefing me harder than red dots in this game right now. So how do you know for sure blue dots aren't griefers?

Ad hominem.

We don't know for sure, you got a point.

But what we know for sure is that you are always suffering from the game whatevers happens. It looks like there is a curse on you maybe. I hope the RDO experience is not to traumatic for you but to me it sounds like whatever happens you'll be sitting in the corner whining about things to come as if you have a crystal bowl. You might be right about the risk of abuse, but who knows for now ? 

If you are some spying genius or a R* insider then tell us how it'll work.

Lord-Sam
Posted (edited)

We don't know for sure, you got a point.

But what we know for sure is that you are always suffering from the game whatevers happens. It looks like there is a curse on you maybe. I hope the RDO experience is not to traumatic for you but to me it sounds like whatever happens you'll be sitting in the corner whining about things to come as if you have a crystal bowl. You might be right about the risk of abuse, but who knows for now ? 

If you are some spying genius or a R* insider then tell us how it'll work.

Maybe if they stopped trying to make everyone "coexist" and add a hardcore lobby I would be fine because that's what I want.

I don't want a lobby with these dumb ass passive restrictions.

Edited by Lord-Sam

Dr.Rosenthal
Posted (edited)

@Lord-Sam Ok, now we’re obviously debating based on assumptions. The future will tell how it’ll work. But that’s not what was originally being discussed.

What I have trouble with is understanding a pro-PvP player who’s saying that these changes will ”kill PvP” and that we’ll now be playing a game for babies.

I wasn’t discussing whether - hypothetically, and based on assumptions made from GTAO - griefing will still be possible. Of course it probably will be, in one way or another.

So then, what’s the problem? Because in one post you say this will become a game for babies. At the same time it seems you believe that you and others will still be allowed to throw dynamite on unsuspecting players, griefing them. And all the while, R* hasn’t said anything about removing PvP. The PvP will still be there. And yet it sounds like you and others believe that the changes they’re making will diminish the PvP aspect.

All I’m saying is I’m happy R* are still trying to figure out ways to limit griefing, and to make this game enjoyable for PvP as well as PvE players. I’m a bit of both, and I’ve got friends who are on both ends of the spectrum. It sounds like R* are at least trying to accomodate us all.

As a PvP player, why would I have a problem with this? Well, I don’t like attacking unsuspecting players. If I did, I’d have a problem. Which is what I’m saying. No other reason to cry about this.

Edited by Dr.Rosenthal