3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

LoneWolf260

Whats next for the rdr universe?

volta2001

i would love an alternate ending DLC where Arthur becomes a Wyatt Earp type character. Patrolling around, being a super hero. im on my second playthrough and doing it high honor this time. I think a "good cop" DLC would be sweet 

HeavyDuke

Flying unicorns sh*tting out deadly rainbows.

Deadman2112
Posted (edited)

@HeavyDuke

Nah, they've already done the unicorn thing in RDR1 and it was rather, lacklustre. Still have RDR1 and Undead Nightmare and really not interested in a redo.

...but, considering the fact that it's looking like they left a bunch of UNFINISHED, UNRESOLVABLE, UNSOLVABLE crap in this game...

How about a "RDR2 Mystery Conclusion" DLC

Edited by Deadman2112

volta2001
4 minutes ago, Deadman2112 said:

Well considering the fact that it's looking like they left a bunch of UNFINISHED, UNRESOLVABLE, UNSOLVABLE crap in this game...

How about a "RDR2 Mystery Conclusion" DLC

like what?

HeavyDuke
4 minutes ago, volta2001 said:

like what?

Rumors have it Arthur Morgan died because of aids. Prove the rumor wrong and win the game.

volta2001

wow hes a real AIDS pioneer

Deadman2112
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, volta2001 said:

like what?

Well if you're asking this then your not using your imagination...

Edited by Deadman2112

gonnaenodaethat

If muscles sells oot tae Disney expect RDR2D2. 

Marston1911
Posted (edited)

I would like a fresh start with new characters set maybe during the civil war, the gold rush or even an Indian point of view of their territory being taken. There is plenty of material for them to use, like maybe an antagonist like Lahood from Pale Rider who hires crooked lawmen to go after you.

Edited by Marston1911

LoneWolf260
1 hour ago, Marston1911 said:

I would like a fresh start with new characters set maybe during the civil war, the gold rush or even an Indian point of view of their territory being taken. There is plenty of material for them to use, like maybe an antagonist like Lahood from Pale Rider who hires crooked lawmen to go after you.

Lee van cleef is a Legend.

Marston1911
4 minutes ago, LoneWolf260 said:

Lee van cleef is a Legend.

He sure is

~INDIO~

Shame Lee Van Cleef and Sergio Leone aren't around anymore

Cuzzzin

I would like a Red Dead 3 that functions as a sequel to the original game, takes place in the early 30s, and uses the same map as RDR 2, but seeing how the world modernized. Maybe expand on Ambarino just like Red Dead 2 expanded on West Elizabeth. I could see them telling the story of an adult Jack finding peace and really putting a cap on things with Arthur and John's actions in their respective games really being shown to having paid off. 

I think 2 really set up Red Dead to be something different than just a catch 'all anthology series for Western stories in the way that GTA is essentially an anthology series about crime and modern living. Both Red Deads have very clear themes, build off of each other, and really build a mythology. Having a game that just tells another stories in the golden age of the West just doesn't really make sense for what the series is. Even going back further with another prequel with the gang would feel pretty empty unless they really had something new to say. 

Red Dead just feels like a very complete experience with one last lingering dramatic question. I don't even really want DLC. The game itself is so big in its scope already, and even includes some of the stuff you'd expect to see in an Undead Nightmare like experience. 

I feel like with GTA IV and GTA V you could sort of feel the missed potential despite how much I enjoy the games. You can see cut corners and hints at something bigger. Red Dead 2 feels like they really put everything on the table and used that one year delay to make sure the game was the intended game. I'm playing my second playthrough and honestly knowing that I want to 100% it this time, I'll probably be playing the single player for about a year. 

My hope is that we see Rockstar try to make another game that feels like Red Dead more than a direct sequel. 

RJX74
On 4/14/2019 at 5:07 PM, Marston1911 said:

Oh man, on the PS5. Xbox Whatever, the Civil War would be insane!

Nulla Lex Ink.

Probably just going to be Online stuff. If for whatever reason that tanks and they decide not to focus on it so much, they'll probably divert all their resources to whatever the next project is. When they get back to Red Dead, it could be another game in the "Van der Linde" saga, or it could be the start of a new story. Too early to tell. Personally I think the story could do with another chapter but it doesn't necessarily need one. Frankly I just wanna see one that has a happy ending. Knowing R* and the franchise though, that's not likely, haha.

I've actually got kind of a neat prequel idea, for anyone whose interested. Spoiler marking it since it does spoil some stuff about RDR2.

Spoiler

Would be kind of neat if the prequel had you play as the "rat" Arthur mentions in that side activity with Tilly, and ended with you killed in camp. Then you'd play as Arthur. That actually wouldn't be a terrible idea if done right. Think about it, you spend this whole game playing as a guy, get to know him well, and you even get to spend more time with beloved characters like Arthur, John, Dutch and Hosea once again. But something happens to make him into a turncoat. It would have to be for a selfless reason of course, maybe he has family, maybe he sees Dutch as a fraud long before any one else, maybe Dutch killed someone he cared about or got them killed and that made him turn, I don't know, it just can't be for a selfish reason otherwise it doesn't really fit with the "Redemption" concept; heck, maybe he does this as a roundabout way to try and get both Arthur and John away from Dutch, knowing the potential of both. The final story mission ends with him being executed by Arthur, who you now control in the post game.

I think that would be a good way to carry on the series traditions (failed redemption, play as another character in the end) with an added twist to keep it from being stale. How messed up would it be to be forced to kill your own character in the end? The final mission could consist of the gang fighting the O'Driscolls and see Dutch kill Colm's brother, or taking out a rival gang invented just for this game perhaps. All seems well, then suddenly Dutch reveals your guy, lets call him William Myerson, is a rat and the gang present immediately turns on you. The rest of the mission (or the next mission, in a way similar to how "Our Best Selves" lead into "Red Dead Redemption") sees William trying to outrun the gang.

Jesus, imagine that. Characters we already loved and probably got to love even more from spending more time with them in this game, chasing us down, probably shouting at us for turning on them while our character tries to shout back in his defense. Would be a neat parallel to RDR2's ending, wouldn't it? Dutch believes that Arthur and John betrayed him and chases after him with Micah, Cleet and Joe, and then years before, Dutch did the same thing to Myerson with Arthur, John, Hosea (and maybe others) by his side, except he actually did betray the gang. Heck, to keep the parallels going you could do this: the local law enforcement shows up to try and catch the gang, as was planned by the main, and he takes the opportunity to flee. He gets to his horse, and looks back to see that the guys have somehow escaped and are now hot on his trail, so a horse chase ensues and ends with his horse being shot out from under him by Arthur. Without time to mourn, he escapes into the nearby woods and makes his way back to camp (maybe he has someone he wants to talk into coming with him, probably because he has some loved object that he doesn't want to be without... jeez, what if it's that lucky horseshoe Arthur has?)

When he's back in camp, he sneaks over to his part of the camp and tries to get his loved object, and if he has someone he wants to talk into coming with, he tries to talk them into escaping with him. Then, Miss Grimshaw appears with a shotgun, having been told by Dutch to be ready if he somehow managed to get back to camp. Then the rest of the boys ride in, and the whole gang is gathered around to watch the scene as Dutch tells everyone your character is a rat. He tries to defend himself but is constantly interrupted and berated through the whole thing by various members (Pearson, Uncle, Abigail, probably some we don't know of as well). Myerson eventually goes quiet, and says "If you ain't gonna be civilized about this, Dutch..." before going into Dead Eye. But before you can tag any one member of the gang, Grimshaw shoots William in the abdomen, causing him to drop the gun and fall to the ground. After the cutscene, control switches to Arthur and the mission text simply reads: "Execute William Myerson."

I suppose there could be an option where you just listen to him talk until he bleeds out, or is killed by someone else, and during this time he says something, to no one in particular, that is kind of a precursor to Dutch's "Can't fight change" speech. No idea what the Arthur story missions after this would be, but I know there would have to be some. Can't just have him kill the main guy and then only have Arthur do side missions. I mean I guess you could, but I doubt it'd go over well. I probably wouldn't be crazy about it myself, haha. Anyways, I figure your last mission as the main character would be called something like "Redemption?" or "...Is Death." Guess both could be used: "Is Death" could be the mission where you take out the rival gang, which Dutch describes as the last enemy at some point, then the one where you die is "Redemption?"

I might be alone in thinking this, but I think something like this would be a good way for R* to carry on the traditions of the series in a fresh way. The character tries to redeem himself, yes, but it's by betraying established characters we've loved for a long time. And yes, he dies at the end, but there's no post story vengeance mission, because he's killed not just by an established character, but a previous main protagonist. This would also serve to change how we view Arthur a little bit, but not in a drastic way that makes us hate him (unless you were REALLY attached to this new protagonist, which would also make it even harder to pull the trigger on him) or by having him do something totally out of character. Plus, I think it would be cool for R* to take a throwaway line from a side mission you don't even have to do and make it turn out to be an integral part of the gang's story. You could also justify why this guy is never talked about: The character's betrayal makes it so that the gang just wants to pretend he never existed, out of hate and anger, as opposed to John's reason for not discussing Arthur being that it upsets him.

To further explain why he isn't talked about much, we could set this earlier in the gang's story, as in before 1895 (which, at least going by Pearson's picture, is before a large chunk of the "current" gang joined). If this takes place in say, 1892, then the only members we know for sure would be around are Dutch, Hosea, Arthur, Grimshaw, John, and Hosea and Dutch's so's, Bessie and Annabelle. Others around would probably be Uncle, Pearson and maybe Strauss and Swanson. That's only 5-9 people who would know by the time RDR2 started, most of whom we know don't talk a lot about the past. Uncle's silence might be a problem, but the severity of what happened might be enough to keep even him quiet about it. There would probably be a few other members around by this time too, but we could just assume they died or left some time before 1899.

Setting it this early would be good for a couple of other reasons. For one, we know the gang only recently got as far south as West Elizabeth when the game started, so this would be an opportunity to explore a whole new map, or mostly new if it was set just above the current map like RDR2 (though that could potentially contradict, since Hosea said the gang was in Montana just the previous year, but I guess there's nothing saying the gang couldn't have gone back and forth across the country). This would also provide us a look at a period of the gang's history that is currently blank, so there wouldn't be anything that had to be strictly adhered to: a whole new story could be written just for this, and nothing (or very little at most) would have to retconned or contradicted. And, not only would we get to learn more about established characters, we'd meet a bunch of new folks too, without having to provide an in depth explanation as to why they aren't around or mentioned in RDR2 since the gap of years could be used to explain that away. Or heck, if it has to be explained, maybe the time skip tradition could be used for that: A couple of years later, in 1894/95, some members are mentioned as having died from sicknesses or jobs gone wrong or in fights with other gangs, others have left for various reasons and the remaining ones die or leave during the time we play as Arthur.

I'll speculate about what else I'd love to see happen with RDR2 too. I've said it many times and seen it said a lot, and it's just such a good idea (in my opinion) that it needs restated: a single player DLC taking place just before RDR2 where you play as one of the Callander boys, probably Mac. I know it's just me looking too much into things but I feel like they could have even been setting this up as a possibility. Of the three gang members who died because of Blackwater, Mac is the only one whose likeness we never see in any way; In the first mission, we briefly see glimpses of Davey before he dies and then his corpse, and there's a drawing of Jenny in Arthur's journal. This makes him the perfect candidate to be a playable character in a game where the character's appearance is customizable. It's also set up that both Mac and Davey were ruthless, but that they had an amicable side to them as well, which to me seems like a good way to talk about them while being ambiguous about who they were and how they acted, which leaves room for the honor aspect of the game. With both of these things in mind, you could customize Mac however you wanted and play him whichever way felt right, and it wouldn't contradict anything said about him in RDR2.

I think something like this could have about thirty story missions, maybe about five stranger missions and probably two or three companion activities, one of which would have to be done with Arthur. The first mission could be a successful job pulled by the gang, showing us at least one success by them, and then the other jobs pulled (if any) would gradually show the gang having worse luck, with it culminating in Blackwater. To keep the mystery alive, during this mission maybe Mac could be the vault man, and while he's in there is when Dutch kills Heidi McCourt. That way, we can be present but still don't know what exactly went down at Blackwater to make it go so wrong. Last part of the mission shows him getting away after being mortally wounded (the interface would be screwed with a lot during this, ala "Blessed are the Peacemakers"). I imagine at this point the objective would be to lose your wanted level, or just get as far away from Blackwater as possible, and once you did or got a certain distance away, the screen would fade to black, and when it came back we'd see Mac slumped over on his horse. He'd fall off, and we'd see Milton and Ross begin questioning him before killing him.

Only problem with this DLC is I don't know what the post game would be, if anything. Can't be Arthur since him and the gang spent the time between Blackwater and Colter, well, getting to Colter. Maybe there'd be a way to have it lead directly into RDR2? Could be a sandbox mode I guess, where you still play as Mac and can access the camp, but that doesn't really seem to be R*'s way.

Anyways, that was way too much speculation, time and writing put into a bunch of stuff very unlikely to happen. But hey, it's fun to dream sometimes :)

Nulla Lex Ink.

Some additional stuff for that prequel idea, because I figure I might as well get it all out of my head before forgetting about it and never touching it again, haha.

Spoiler

This guy obviously wouldn't be an original member, in fact he'd probably be recent-ish. At most he'd have joined shortly before John. His main story would be that he's taken a younger, more recent member of the gang under his wing, as a little brother type almost, and he'd see that civilization was coming and the writing's on the wall for people like the Van der Linde gang. However, he doesn't want to give up the life for himself and plans to go down fighting, as it's all he's ever known and he believes it's too late for him to change his ways; instead, his focus is to make sure this younger guy, lets refer to him as James Riley, doesn't get corrupted and made into an outlaw by Dutch, like he did to Arthur and John (although John would still be pretty young by this point, so maybe he could try it with him too and give up after believing him to already be a lost cause). Riley would kind of be a secondary protagonist, so to speak, as the player character would spend a lot of time with him. Think of him as like Lenny, except with a much bigger story presence. He's got a lot of promise and could be something better, but he was taken in by the gang and pushed down a bad path, which has made him eager to do bigger jobs with the gang and resistant to the main's attempts at getting him away from the life.

I'd say the first 50 or so missions has this as a big part of the story, and for most of it we'd probably believe Riley would be the player character after the main ends up dead. Then a big job comes up, and while Myerson insists on Riley staying out of it, Dutch says he'll come along after the kid keeps pushing to be part of it. Job goes well until the end, and Riley ends up dead because of Dutch (or maybe he simply dies and Myerson blames Dutch just for letting him come along). This causes a very big divide between Myerson and Dutch, and after few missions of that relationship becoming more and more sour, our main decides to work with local law enforcement to have Dutch killed. As a side note, I was thinking Milton or Ross would be the lawman he ends up in contact with, but I dunno, that might be stretching it. The deal is that only Dutch will be taken down and no one else, as this guy believes preventing Dutch from doing anymore harm will be his "redemption" I suppose, but the lawman's intentions are to take down everybody, which is why they ambush the gang. This mission strand would probably have the lawman making Myerson his personal hitman, killing outlaws he hasn't been able to get himself and then claiming he did all the work (which is part of why I thought Ross, but eh, might be a bit tired if we just have it be him).

Not sure how Dutch gets wind of this (maybe there's an initial attempt that goes wrong and arouses Dutch's suspicions), but he does eventually and the stuff I talked about in the last post happens. I was also thinking that a few of the other gang members we've met during this time would be with Dutch and the rest chasing this guy down, and they'd be sent into the woods to hunt for our guy, and we'd be forced to sneak around and ultimately kill them. During the final confrontation in camp, Myerson screams about how Dutch is a corrupting influence, and how he just wanted to save the boy from being part of a lifestyle that's slowly coming to an end. He says "You ruined them," referring to Arthur, John and the boy. It's about this point that he tries to draw on Dutch but is shot before he can. His last words, before we switch over to Arthur, are "Our time has passed." Because I think it would totally be in character for Dutch to steal the dying words of another man from two decades ago.

Just for more trauma points, one of the scenes we see during the credits (assuming they happen just after this mission) is Arthur looking on as Myerson's corpse burns in a ditch. Or heck, maybe your first whole mission as Arthur is to take this guy's body somewhere in the woods and burn it. I just had a thought that the whole final mission could be played as Arthur instead, but I dunno, I feel like the player being made to kill some of the gang members they've known the whole game would pack the kind of punch the final missions need to, and that the failed Dead Eye sequence would be a nice homage to the first game's ending.

RJX74

Anyone else want to not have no more "Redemption?". It would be nice to have one title with a happy ending.

GinsengElixir

If they ever do another Read Dead....forget the Van der Linde/Morgan/Marston storyline and do something new for the love of God. It's over, as Arthur Morgan said. Another prequel is redundant because there's nothing to play for anymore.

The Redemption arc is also finished, as is the 'Wild West is drawing to a close' theme. They'll have to set it anytime between, let's say, 1850 and 1885, when the west was still wild and outlaws such as Jesse James, Billy the Kid and Wild Bill were still operating and then concentrate on other themes.

I don't know if there's another story to tell as epic and broad as RDR2, but then I said the same after RDR. 

I'd like a dual protagonist game, where we get to play as a Native American aswell as an outlaw. Imagine the gameplay possibilities! Tomahawk in one hand, bow in another. Hunting, scalping and good times all round.

I did actually think at one point we'd be playing multiple protagonists in RDR2, since I was one of the few who thought it was successful in GTAV. It allowed us to experience the whole map/gameplay from different perspectives. 

Jabalous
On 5/7/2019 at 12:09 PM, GinsengElixir said:

If they ever do another Read Dead....forget the Van der Linde/Morgan/Marston storyline and do something new for the love of God. It's over, as Arthur Morgan said. Another prequel is redundant because there's nothing to play for anymore.

The Redemption arc is also finished, as is the 'Wild West is drawing to a close' theme. They'll have to set it anytime between, let's say, 1850 and 1885, when the west was still wild and outlaws such as Jesse James, Billy the Kid and Wild Bill were still operating and then concentrate on other themes.

I cannot agree. It's time to ditch the whole Redemption theme, the Dutch/Marston/Morgan universe and focus on creating a new one. Luckily this would most likely be the case since there's basically nothing more to tell about Dutch's gang in the past, or at least anything that'd make the story interesting again with the same characters. Redemption 2 worked because it answered questions about how the gang was disbanded, what supposedly transformed Dutch from a kind man to a ruthless killer, how the relationships evolved between Marston and the rest. There's absolutely nothing interesting to say about these characters anymore, and it's why Red Dead 3 will certainly be built into its own universe.