2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Beatrice

A list of extremely valuable starting clothes during character creation?

Beatrice

Hello there,

I remember that I stumbled upon a very comprehensive list of the best possible 'value' you can get during character creation, by getting clothes that cost gold bars and/or require extremely high level to unlock... But I just can't find it. History got deleted recently, and googling doesn't provide any results. If you know what I'm talking about, please do help!

4eyedcoupe
Posted (edited)

The wool shirt....I made it a MUST when creating mine because it is a very high level unlock and a must for cold weather clothing

The Outdoorsman vest is a high level rank unlock and also good for cold weather.  In fact, I was able to get wool shirt AND outdoorsmen vest with a normal coat and it was "suitable for cold weather"

The union suit unlocks in the 20's or 30's and cost 3 gold bars.  

Cayuga hat is one of the hats you can get that is higher level unlock than most hats.  

overalls are also a bit higher unlock than most pants.  

Edited by 4eyedcoupe

Hunterrrr
30 minutes ago, 4eyedcoupe said:

The wool shirt....I made it a MUST when creating mine because it is a very high level unlock and a must for cold weather clothing

The Outdoorsman vest is a high level rank unlock and also good for cold weather.  In fact, I was able to get wool shirt AND outdoorsmen vest with a normal coat and it was "suitable for cold weather"

The union suit unlocks in the 20's or 30's and cost 3 gold bars.  

Cayuga hat is one of the hats you can get that is higher level unlock than most hats.  

overalls are also a bit higher unlock than most pants.  

I agree with the Cayuga hat, I got it on my character and it's my favorite hat in the game. I see it as a must. 

4eyedcoupe
1 minute ago, Hunterrrr said:

I agree with the Cayuga hat, I got it on my character and it's my favorite hat in the game. I see it as a must. 

I was definitely happy to be lucky enough to start with it.  I haven't had to buy another hat yet.

Hunterrrr
2 hours ago, 4eyedcoupe said:

I was definitely happy to be lucky enough to start with it.  I haven't had to buy another hat yet.

100%.

I bought the Grizzles outfit, which came with the Grizzlies hat, and I bought the Kennedy hat. Neither of these compare to the Cayuga IMO. 

Beatrice

Thanks for your replies guys.

What I've been looking for (and I'm 100% certain it actually exists) is a sort of... compilation of the 'best available' options. Here, 'best' doesn't mean 'best' in terms of looks, but rather simply the 'absolute hardest to get items, in terms of price and/or unlock requirement'. IIRC, one of the items (a vest or a hat) that can proc during character creation is a lvl80+ unlock, costing several gold bars.

Unfortunately, I don't even remember where I saw that list - reddit, here, or somewhere else...

4eyedcoupe
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Beatrice said:

Thanks for your replies guys.

What I've been looking for (and I'm 100% certain it actually exists) is a sort of... compilation of the 'best available' options. Here, 'best' doesn't mean 'best' in terms of looks, but rather simply the 'absolute hardest to get items, in terms of price and/or unlock requirement'. IIRC, one of the items (a vest or a hat) that can proc during character creation is a lvl80+ unlock, costing several gold bars.

Unfortunately, I don't even remember where I saw that list - reddit, here, or somewhere else...

Three of the items I listed were higher level items:  Wool shirt is rank 73, outdoorsman vest is rank 87 and Cayuga hat is 42(only bolero is higher unlock i think, but I don't think you can get it at the beginning)

Oh, and I suggest going for the Tennessee Walker in the first mission(light brown horse).   

Edited by 4eyedcoupe

Beatrice
2 hours ago, 4eyedcoupe said:

Three of the items I listed were higher level items:  Wool shirt is rank 73, outdoorsman vest is rank 87 and Cayuga hat is 42(only bolero is higher unlock i think, but I don't think you can get it at the beginning)

Oh, and I suggest going for the Tennessee Walker in the first mission(light brown horse).   

Thanks, that sounds great! Do you know whether there's any working way to refresh the item choice without re-making the character altogether? I found some people claiming that logging out of the game and xbox live while on the screen where you choose your starting items in Jessica's camp works (you come back and the options are different), but from my understanding this method is confirmed to only work for Xone, not PS4 which i have. 

Regarding the horses - that's good to know too! I do have the Ultimate Edition though, the Gtabase website gives the Black Chestnut Thoroughbred horse a rating of 48, lower only than Arabians, Turkomans, Fox Trotters, and some other Thoroughbred. I don't know however which of the horses you can steal in that mission would sell for the most buck (if there's any difference at all, I believe missions that have you sell something often have 'special' prices, a good example would be the story mission with legendary Bear where you can sell the Raven Black Shire horse for 65$, even though it's way too much for it - keeping it and leveling it to Bonding4 ended up in selling it for just 26$), so I guess if there is such a difference, one should go for the most expensive one.

4eyedcoupe

Unfortunatley I don't know how or of a way to keep resetting the clothing, but I would say if you don't like it, just start over and keep track of how you create the character.  The positive, is you don't lose any cash or gold that you earned, so don't purchase anything until you are happy.  

Also, we can not sell horses at the moment if we will be able to at all, so just grab the one you like in that mission.

Beatrice

Unfortunatley I don't know how or of a way to keep resetting the clothing, but I would say if you don't like it, just start over and keep track of how you create the character.  The positive, is you don't lose any cash or gold that you earned, so don't purchase anything until you are happy.  

Also, we can not sell horses at the moment if we will be able to at all, so just grab the one you like in that mission.

Small update: the trick does work on PS4! I simply closed application while on the clothes selection screen and launched the game again, and the options were all new!

One weird thing I noticed though is this: in one of my attempts, I had Outdoorsman Vest listed, but it was greyed out and I couldn't choose it! This was the first and the only time I encountered a situation where an item is present in those starting options, but at the same time can not be chosen due to being greyed out.

Beatrice

Damn it, got so close to jackpot just now...

Outdoorsman Vest, Woolen Shirt, Lumber Boots (74 I think), some high pants (59?)... But incredibly crappy hats. Couldn't stand any of them so rerolled that attempt, and now I'm not getting anything as good in terms of combos...

Bakkerbaard
On 3/22/2019 at 12:10 AM, Beatrice said:

Damn it, got so close to jackpot just now...

Outdoorsman Vest, Woolen Shirt, Lumber Boots (74 I think), some high pants (59?)... But incredibly crappy hats. Couldn't stand any of them so rerolled that attempt, and now I'm not getting anything as good in terms of combos...

I understand why you'd go for best value and I have no opinion on that, per se, but wouldn't it be smarter to go for cothes you like instead of (possibly daft) clothes that are expensive?

On the other hand, I wish I'd rolled a donegal sweater back when I started.

4eyedcoupe
2 hours ago, Bakkerbaard said:

I understand why you'd go for best value and I have no opinion on that, per se, but wouldn't it be smarter to go for cothes you like instead of (possibly daft) clothes that are expensive?

On the other hand, I wish I'd rolled a donegal sweater back when I started.

Not to answer for Beatrice, but In my case a lot of the clothing unlocks pretty early, I had all of the clothing I wanted to buy by my mid-level 20's.  But something like the wool shirt(which I wouldn't choose to wear but you have to in the north) is something that is needed for cold weather but the unlock is a pretty high rank.  And why not try to get the expensive stuff for free?  It saves in game money for future purchases.  Just my insight from somebody who see's it as strategic vs cosmetic.

Bakkerbaard
20 hours ago, 4eyedcoupe said:

Not to answer for Beatrice, but In my case a lot of the clothing unlocks pretty early, I had all of the clothing I wanted to buy by my mid-level 20's.  But something like the wool shirt(which I wouldn't choose to wear but you have to in the north) is something that is needed for cold weather but the unlock is a pretty high rank.  And why not try to get the expensive stuff for free?  It saves in game money for future purchases.  Just my insight from somebody who see's it as strategic vs cosmetic.

Yeah, I do understand, especially now I'm grinding my arse off for some fancy clothes.

I was just wondering out loud, really.

The wool shirt isn't really neccessary up North though. I'm up there with a good coat and vest, but an everyday shirt on. I do remember it was nearly impossible to get an up-north outfit together before the update.