1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
AiraCobra

MS Wireless Display App Allows Playing PC Games On XB1 w/Controller

AiraCobra
Posted (edited)

So Microsoft is finally allowing you to stream games playing on your PC to your XB1 this includes PC Only games.

Its about time but sadly I can’t partake as I sold my XB1 a while back but Microsoft has a wireless screen adapter that allows me to stream from my PC to my TV

~~~~~~~~~~~

Microsoft is now letting Xbox One owners stream their PC games to the console and use a controller to play them. A newly updated app, Wireless Display app, from Microsoft enables the support so you can play Steam games or other titles directly on an Xbox One.

You can use a regular Xbox controller to control the remote PC, enabling game play or even the ability to use an Xbox for presentations.

Microsoft’s Wireless Display app uses Miracast to create a connection between a PC and the Xbox One, and you can cast to the Xbox using the winkey + P combination.

There are different latency modes for gaming and watching videos from a remote PC, and the app is ideal if you want to project a stream or video onto the Xbox. You won’t be able to stream protected content like Netflix, though.

R0cb1Ur.jpg

Microsoft’s Wireless Display app has been available to testers for months under various different names, but it’s now officially released for all Xbox One owners. The Wireless Display app was previously dubbed Connect on Windows, and it started as an app for the Surface Hub. Microsoft enabled mouse, keyboard, touch, and stylus support through the same app to connect back and control the projecting PC, and it’s now added controller support for the Xbox version. While Microsoft has been working on streaming PC games to the Xbox One for years, this seems to be the best method to play Steam titles on an Xbox One.

Unfortunately, the app doesn’t support keyboard and mouse input, so you won’t be able to stream PC games to an Xbox One and use traditional inputs for now. That could change, as Microsoft recently introduced Xbox One keyboard and mouse support late last year for a number of games. For now, this is the best way to play any PC games on an Xbox One.

Edited by AiraCobra

Voodoo

This is more about PC gaming, so let's discuss it here in its own topic.

Furry_Monkey

Without keyboard & mouse control I can't see this going anywhere other than the bin, or towards a wall at high speed.

Rotary
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Furry_Monkey said:

Without keyboard & mouse control I can't see this going anywhere other than the bin, or towards a wall at high speed.

Yeah your kinda limited to games that have xinput controller support but it's nice to have more options to stream your games.

Edited by Rotary

OurJud
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Furry_Monkey said:

That was my first thought. I don't game on a PC, but PC gaming is all about having a keyboard, isn't it?

Wouldn't it have made more sense to offer keyboard support for the Xbox as they have with the PS4, then those who would like to play on a larger display can do so?

Edited by OurJud

Static

Just get a steam link, if you still can.

AiraCobra
21 hours ago, Furry_Monkey said:

18 hours ago, Rotary said:

Yeah your kinda limited to games that have xinput controller support but it's nice to have more options to stream your games.

15 hours ago, OurJud said:

That was my first thought. I don't game on a PC, but PC gaming is all about having a keyboard, isn't it?

Wouldn't it have made more sense to offer keyboard support for the Xbox as they have with the PS4, then those who would like to play on a larger display can do so?

2 hours ago, Static said:

Just get a steam link, if you still can.

Maybe I should explain in a little bit more details on how this works guys.

Basically what it's going to do is effectively turning the XB1 into a Streaming Device you won't actually be loading the games onto the XB1 and playing from there it's more like a shared screen type thing like two monitors.

So you'll still have full control of the game via your computer while the game is being streamed to your XB1 which is connected to your TV more of less this feature is basically and oversized and more expensive version of this...

2646681aaac9b1436118e51a3b4993dc.png

Which allows you to plug that into the back of your TV and then connect to your PC which will then stream the picture over to your TV letting you play games and use your TV as a monitor the downside to this device vs the XB1 console option is the adapter graphics aren't the same as your monitor while with the XB1 you'll be playing in whatever graphics your XB1 and TV are set to and second there is a noticable lag input from the adapter as well while again with the XB1 it will run as if you are playing the game on the XB1.

tl:dr - This is basically just a way to stream your game from your PC to your XB1 so you can play the games on your PC without needing to bring your tower next to your TV or run a bunch of wires back and forth as the longer the wires the worse the picture and lag will be and you'll still have full control of your PC and can play the games anyway you wish be it KB/M and/or Controller.

Hope this cleared things up for you guys

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for using Steam Link you can still buy one but if you have an XB1 then it's pointless as this does exactly what the Steam Link does, Stream the games to your TV but the Steam link and I know from personal experience isn't that great especially when it comes to online gameplay as it has about a 3 second lag which could be the difference between life and getting killed or winning/loosing a race

Static

1 hour ago, AiraCobra said:

Maybe drop the condescending attitude. Everyone understands the tech being used, it's nothing new

Basically what it's going to do is effectively turning the XB1 into a Streaming Device you won't actually be loading the games onto the XB1 and playing from there it's more like a shared screen type thing like two monitors.

So you'll still have full control of the game via your computer while the game is being streamed to your XB1 which is connected to your TV more of less this feature is basically and oversized and more expensive version of this...

Which allows you to plug that into the back of your TV and then connect to your PC which will then stream the picture over to your TV letting you play games and use your TV as a monitor the downside to this device vs the XB1 console option is the adapter graphics aren't the same as your monitor while with the XB1 you'll be playing in whatever graphics your XB1 and TV are set to and second there is a noticable lag input from the adapter as well while again with the XB1 it will run as if you are playing the game on the XB1.

tl:dr - This is basically just a way to stream your game from your PC to your XB1 so you can play the games on your PC without needing to bring your tower next to your TV or run a bunch of wires back and forth as the longer the wires the worse the picture and lag will be and you'll still have full control of your PC and can play the games anyway you wish be it KB/M and/or Controller.

tldr it turns a x1 into a steam link without the features.

As for using Steam Link you can still buy one

Yeah you can still buy a USED one from a 3rd party and you damn sure can't get it for discounted price of $2.

but if you have an XB1 then it's pointless as this does exactly what the Steam Link does, Stream the games to your TV but the Steam link and I know from personal experience isn't that great especially when it comes to online gameplay as it has about a 3 second lag which could be the difference between life and getting killed or winning/loosing a race

And if you use that same logic and say, already have a steam link, then it makes Display App pointless, which was THE ENTIRE POINT. Also, every streaming service/deivce will have some kind of latency, so if you're using that for online MP, then thats entirely your fault.

Like did you get hacked or some sh*t, cause you post like a sh*ttily designed reddit bot, as in, with no common sense and usually in the wrong context.

Furry_Monkey
13 hours ago, AiraCobra said:

I think we all understand what it is.  It's basically turning the XBox into a remote viewer for your PC.  What we're all saying is that for gaming that's a terrible downgrade.  Sure, it's nice to be able to sit on your sofa with your massive TV and play games, but you can't compete online against people that are sat at their PC with a keyboard and mouse, because you will lose nearly every time.

It's cool but it's not a serious gamer tool. 

GTA3Rockstar
On 3/17/2019 at 6:58 PM, OurJud said:

They did, back in November.

So, it's inevitable they will make them compatible with each other.

AiraCobra
On 3/19/2019 at 3:14 AM, Furry_Monkey said:

I think we all understand what it is.  It's basically turning the XBox into a remote viewer for your PC.  What we're all saying is that for gaming that's a terrible downgrade.  Sure, it's nice to be able to sit on your sofa with your massive TV and play games, but you can't compete online against people that are sat at their PC with a keyboard and mouse, because you will lose nearly every time.

It's cool but it's not a serious gamer tool. 

My mistake, I thought you were wondering how it would actually work.

Please don't think I was being condescended as Static implied, I had no intention on coming across as such it was a genuine answer

Furry_Monkey
5 hours ago, AiraCobra said:

My mistake, I thought you were wondering how it would actually work.

Please don't think I was being condescended as Static implied, I had no intention on coming across as such it was a genuine answer

Not at all mate - the thought never crossed my mind.