3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Bakkerbaard

Ability Cards Are Crap

Almostnasty

I played a lot of GTAO... a lot, since last gen to add some perspective. When I was on there, I always played in the free-aim lobbies. Auto-aim lobbies were a complete joke. Getting randomly headshot with pinpoint accuracy while going top speed down a street was never exactly appealing to me, but I digress.

I came into RDRO under the impression that Rockstar would implement a similar selection of preferred options for the aiming system in relation to the online experience. I like many others, was thoroughly disappointed to see that auto-aim was the only option.

It’s such an insulting feature to have in any game with the ability to shoot. The existence of such an aspect in this game makes one wonder if the very people that made this product consider their player base to be incompetent or not.

With all of that being said, the ability cards are actually a decent concept for an auto-aim environment in my opinion. The ability cards add another element or variable in a world where aiming is completely magnetic. Ultimately, these cards mitigate shootouts from being limited to who pointed at who’s head first automatically.

*Lola

Would the auto aimers and card haters give up their auto aim for a free aim hardcore lobby that has no ability cards?

I enjoy free aim but not a die hard free aimer that I'd give up RDO just because no hardcore lobby.

Not a card fan either.

I also would play in the hardcore free aim lobby.

I'm not sure my free aim friends would play in a hardcore lobby with the way the clunky controls are now.

-LN-
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, *Lola said:

Would the auto aimers and card haters give up their auto aim for a free aim hardcore lobby that has no ability cards?

I enjoy free aim but not a die hard free aimer that I'd give up RDO just because no hardcore lobby.

Not a card fan either.

I also would play in the hardcore free aim lobby.

I'm not sure my free aim friends would play in a hardcore lobby with the way the clunky controls are now.

Absolutely, I'll take anything over having the bloody cards in the equation. My suggestion would be total free aim (no lock with one clear headshot resulting in death) against other players, but the ability and personal choice to be able to lock on to animals and NPCs during missions, hideout clearings, etc. If players do want to have auto aim against other players, free aim and auto aim lobbies need to be separated from one another entirely.

I don't mind playing auto aim or free aim, but GTA kinda screwed up with that as well by offering a free aim assist setting and placing those using it into lobbies and matches with players using pure free aim without any assist.

Ability Cards have no place in competitive PvP matches though and I'd gladly vote for their removal entirely from the game if it were possible.

Edited by -LN-

Lonely-Martin
5 hours ago, *Lola said:

In a heartbeat.

I know I'm sh*t at freeaim but would far sooner know I lost a battle or attack because I wasn't as good as the other player, rather than now where I know it's because some pansey just had more money.

Bakkerbaard

I like auto aim. I'm not sure, because of the nonsense cards, but I find getting a headshot harder than I used to.

Either way, I see nothing but love for RDR1, which had auto-aim. 

I could reply to every post individually, like I usually do, but the gist of it all is: Get rid of ability cards, get seperate lobbies.

Hello? Anyone from Rockstar reading this? For god's sake?

Basically all problems we have with the game can be solved by implementing a couple of lobby types.

Dr.Rosenthal
Posted (edited)

I honestly don’t have anything against the cards - except for Slippery Bastard which turns its users into scumbags on an Orbital Cannon-level.

I think they bring interesting dynamics into the gameplay, and without Never Without One we’d all be dead after one flick of the right thumbstick.

Edited by Dr.Rosenthal

ferguson99
1 hour ago, Bakkerbaard said:

I like auto aim. I'm not sure, because of the nonsense cards, but I find getting a headshot harder than I used to.

Either way, I see nothing but love for RDR1, which had auto-aim. 

I could reply to every post individually, like I usually do, but the gist of it all is: Get rid of ability cards, get seperate lobbies.

Hello? Anyone from Rockstar reading this? For god's sake?

Basically all problems we have with the game can be solved by implementing a couple of lobby types.

Normal free roam, friendly free roam, hardcore free roam.

Bakkerbaard
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Dr.Rosenthal said:

and without Never Without One we’d all be dead after one flick of the right thumbstick.

I'll admit that I'm looking at the ability cards purely from my own perspective and in that perspective getting a headshot is harder than everybody makes it out to be. Judging by how I handle NPC fights, it might just be the rheumatism reaching my hands, but I'm quite able to miss headshots. 

Having played some FPS a long time ago, I remember getting shredded didn't take much longer than getting getting headshotted now. Or at least I spent just as much time spawning. The difference is that if I sniped someone's skull they'd go down, like you expect, not turn around all pissed like and come have a "stern conversation".

I can see how these ability cards are interesting and were it not for the price I'd dabble in them, but in practice they make me feel like I'm being cheated. Not neccessarily by the player using them, but by the game. For players like myself it's very disheartening to be able to finally manage to put up a fight and then find that the game does not agree with that. Mind you, this is not a plea for sympathy "oh, poor Baard" situation. I've got plenty of unarmed things to shoot, but some of the dailies steer me into PvP, which is where you notice these things.

tl;dr

Poor Baard feels cheated. ;o)

21 hours ago, ferguson99 said:

Normal free roam, friendly free roam, hardcore free roam

Yes.

Also: f*ck Off Roam. Where I can do just that and play alone without ever having to lay eyes on SenorHandjob69 and ears on the hiphop he's playing in the background as he tries to teabag me while I'm cooking steak.

Edited by Bakkerbaard

Foxwolfe

I totally get where you're coming from baard, for me it's kinda the reverse as the auto aim takes so much away from the player to player interactions for me. It doesn't make me feel good winning and then on the flip side loosing feels cheap as hell. At the moment the cards bother me a lot less than the AA but they're kinda built around AA so it makes it feel to me like R* has no intention of letting me play in a fully free aim setting.

wehweh01
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Foxwolfe said:

I totally get where you're coming from baard, for me it's kinda the reverse as the auto aim takes so much away from the player to player interactions for me. It doesn't make me feel good winning and then on the flip side loosing feels cheap as hell. At the moment the cards bother me a lot less than the AA but they're kinda built around AA so it makes it feel to me like R* has no intention of letting me play in a fully free aim setting.

I have similar feelings about this mixed lobby. However, I'm actually have fun as a Freeaimer. Unless they have that Paint It Black and get a lucky headshot or something I'm pretty much always winning my gunfights especially in Gun Rush. I'm getting wins daily running Slippery Bastard the whole match.

Edited by wehweh01
SUBSCRIBE TO PEWDIEPIE

Bakkerbaard

Slippery Basterd runs on Dead Eye fuel, right? 

I've got that up to a 100, but it's still not much action you get out of it, right?

Screwing with potions in the middle of a battle isn't really very handy either. It's like feckin' magic to me, this.

TyrionV

Is anything stopping you using freeaim in story and stranger missions?

I’ve tried it and it’s damn hard!

Or why don’t some of you get together in a large posse and try infighting etc in freeaim?

I know it’s in great demand on here but in reality I think most folk will continue to play in auto-aim, same as GTA. 

ferguson99

Ability Cards...… we don't need no stinking cards.

image.jpg?w=601&c=1

Foxwolfe
On 4/10/2019 at 7:45 AM, TyrionV said:

Is anything stopping you using freeaim in story and stranger missions?

I’ve tried it and it’s damn hard!

Or why don’t some of you get together in a large posse and try infighting etc in freeaim?

I know it’s in great demand on here but in reality I think most folk will continue to play in auto-aim, same as GTA. 

The point is that unlike GTA we can't even attempt to play with only like minded players, everyone is in the same pot and personally I don't have the patience to free aim against auto aimers. Story missions and whatnot is one thing but honestly I just don't feel like swapping my control settings back and forth for different situations.

That said I have been dragging my snipers around with me more often lately, nice to get some free aim action in every now and then.