3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Bakkerbaard

Ability Cards Are Crap

Bakkerbaard

I had a look around Ability Cards back when I was level f*ck-all and I couldn't make much of it. The only one that made sense to me was the one that uses your hat for a shield once.

How much advantage do these things give anyway? 

I was just playing Spoils Of War with just enough people to potentially make it interesting and I got a headshot in on a guy. His hat flew off and that was it. Then I got three more bodyshots in on him with the Bolt Action and he still wasn't going down. By this time he got a bead on me and popped me off with one shot.

Now, I'm all for an unfair advantage. I try to get it every RPG I play and I wouldn't mind having an unfair advantage in RDO Free Roam, but why the thundering f*ck are these things active in matches?

It's frustrating enough that headshots no longer are the one-shots they are supposed to be in a lot of games, but isn't the point of any kind of match to see who's best in a level playing field? I mean, I'd still lose, but I'd need to moan less about it.

I consider these ability cards a money-sink plain and simple and I really don't see any use for them as deer don't shoot back, but if I wanna get the XPs rolling properly I'm gonna need to suck it up and play Showdowns in which case I shall need to level said playing field on my end.

What would the best setup be for a level 38 asshat that can't even get a proper shot in on auto-aim?

I'll admit that I haven't looked at the things since that one time, because I think they're daft. Maybe I could figure it out for myself now, but I just don't wanna.

Assblaster

I agree with you, believe you me. I don't like 'em either never have, but it ain't gonna change so if you can't beat 'em join 'em. Level up (if you haven't), figure out the best combos for you, then you'll have your level playing field. 😉

Chrismads
Posted (edited)

I had some interesting Spoils of War matches thanks to the cards. One guy from the other team jogged casually in the middle of the battlefield through all my defenses, grabbed a bag and jogged casually back.

Noone could hit him cause he had Slippery Bastard on.

I think those moments are fun as hell, and I really like the cards because of that.

If you don't like the cards, I can understand and respect that, but I'm sorry to say but that is what the pvp system is build around in RDO.

If you can't live with that, you're gonna have a bad time playing the game, until different session types gets added.

Atm its go with the flow or have a very hard time in pvp.

Edited by Chrismads

Foxwolfe

For me at least they help offset the effect of auto aim a bit.

SuperJude™

These are why they won't give us Free Aim it seems 😕

Foxwolfe

Yeah it was pretty clear to me when I saw slippery bastard as that card would be redundant in a free aim lobby. Sucks cause the more time goes on the more I grow tired of auto aim, I can live with it in story mode but when playing against other players it really dulls things down for me.

Clickalot

To be honest, I dont understand how I use the cards?

:D

Sorry ...just a noob trying to go with the flow

Assblaster
6 minutes ago, Clickalot said:

To be honest, I dont understand how I use the cards?

:D

Sorry ...just a noob trying to go with the flow

Hold L1 then press triangle, you pick your card there, buy it, then equip it. (Not sure about xbox.)

Clickalot
15 minutes ago, Assblaster said:

Hold L1 then press triangle, you pick your card there, buy it, then equip it. (Not sure about xbox.)

REALLY  omg LOL!!! (slap my forehead)
wow, really thanks for this eye opener...

I have to work late....goddamn, but I am sure of it. I am gonna try it out later tonight

Besides...I have to get my daily shot of RDO, otherwise its really a cold turkey :D

4 hours ago, SuperJude™ said:

These are why they won't give us Free Aim it seems 😕

I'm afraid so. Even if they did give us free aim lobbies, these cards would gum up the works. Wouldn't be the same.

GenericGTAO
Posted (edited)

Dead eye is a feature from SP that cannot work online, so they changed it up in Online.  One of the best things about RDO.  I was wondering, how will dead eye work.  They guy you referenced drank tonics to surive and probably had slow and steady.   Paint it black with Dynamite arrow is the most OP build.  Slow and Steady is what most peole should use as it favors autoaim play. Slippery is the most advanced.  I think never without one is key unless you are running slippery in FM.  The rest is just trial and error.  So, there are layers the cards and I like the fact that if you care, aka try hard, you will be able to beat a shootem first and run noob.

My one tip as a general rule....when you are shooting at a player.  You should by default go into dead eye as you are aiming prior to firing.  If you have reduced damage cards, when a player is shooting at you, you should always be in dead eye.  Its a bit more tricky, but in general just be in dead eye when fighting players. 

The best is people complaining like they couldnt use it themselves.  Which is kindve this thread, but...yeah, I like the cards.

Edited by GenericGTAO

Lonely-Martin

Yep!

A load of sh*t indeed.

Ektope
3 hours ago, GenericGTAO said:

Slow and Steady is what most peole should use as it favors autoaim play. Slippery is the most advanced.  I think never without one is key unless you are running slippery in FM. 

I gave up on Slow and Steady III since the update nerf. Paint It Black III is what most people should be using, IMO. The 100% accuracy and ability to completely counter Slippery Bastards III. Paint It Black III is very strong with Express Explosive in Free Roam too. Kill someone from over 100 metres away. And Dynamite Arrow, of course.

Never Without One III apparently now give damage reduction, or the player takes less damage while their hat 🎩 is equipped. I still use Never Without One III while using Slippery III.

Rammer2k

Ability cards are a bit interesting in a way since everyone can have their own unique setup for their style of play.  Of course, eventually, everyone is gonna have pretty much the same loadout, and tiers so it won't really matter.  The real victims will be those who just start out a few months, or even a year from now.  They won't even have a chance in all the PVP modes, or even Free Roam.

Ektope
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Bakkerbaard said:

It's frustrating enough that headshots no longer are the one-shots they are supposed to be in a lot of games, but isn't the point of any kind of match to see who's best in a level playing field?

Snipers don't headshot. They do body shots, or at least I don't. It's not easy to consistently score headshots from Carcano or Rolling Block but body shots are easier. And with certain cards, it's a powerful one-shot on body. Which literally bypasses the Never Without One III headshot protection. You get Express at Rank 41.

All it takes is one very experienced player in a team of noobies to turn the tides of the battle. Whoever has the most experienced who does very well and aims for the objective in Spoils of War, that's all it takes to win. So it doesn't seem like an even playing field when everyone using different weapons for different situations, their timing, cards, positioning, experience and so on.

Edited by Ektope

GenericGTAO

I have yet to be beat outright by a PIB person in freemode.  Slow and Steady is better up close in lock on range and thats why it should really be recommended to most people.  Then again, I dont go around killing people for no reason...pretending this is GTAO.

Ektope
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, GenericGTAO said:

I have yet to be beat outright by a PIB person in freemode.  Slow and Steady is better up close in lock on range and thats why it should really be recommended to most people.  Then again, I dont go around killing people for no reason...pretending this is GTAO.

The drain is massive, that's why Slow and Steady III isn't as good anymore. Getting shot once in Slow and Steady III, it takes away 20% to 30% off your Dead Eye bar. Now if you got shot 3 to 5 times while in Dead Eye, including your own draining because you have Dead Eye switched on. You will run out and Slow and Steady III will be gone, including core getting drained. Dual wielding Pistols are a killer against Slow and Steady III. Very fast drain + damage on body shots. Also, all it takes is one Paint It Black III 100% accuracy of Shotgun Regular round to chest and Slow and Steady III guy is a goner in close combat. Or two shots. Slippery III guys with hip fire Shotguns also kill Slow and Steady III. So Paint It Black III and Slippery III are better metas than Slow and Steady III. That's just my opinion. I barely see people using Slow and Steady III anymore, out of the highest levels and experienced players I come across.

Edited by Ektope

GenericGTAO

I use unblinking eye...and I always have 20 potent sanke oils.  Didnt know about the drain from damage, and to be honest, anyone using pistols is going to be bolt actioned into oblivion... I wreck high levels in showdowns all the time, PIB is worthless in showdowns because 90-95% of encounters are in lockon range.  Slippery Bastard has the fast drain.  Last I checked.  If I was one on one in freemode with a slippery person, which is so rare, I would just switch to paint it black...and rain tomahawks on him until he is forced to change as well.  Slippery bastard in showdowns is probably alright as long as you dont mind running out of tonics and buying tobacco.  I dont buy anything.  I usuallly run out of health tonics before snake oils.  And when i do, I dont play showdowns.

Ronin Ogami

I run "Focus fire" with "NWO", "Peak Condition", & switch out "Horseman" & "Strange Medicine" depending on if I'm in free roam or PvP. Seems to work pretty good for me with express rounds for my schofields & lancaster.

Chrismads
15 minutes ago, Ronin Ogami said:

I run "Focus fire" with "NWO", "Peak Condition", & switch out "Horseman" & "Strange Medicine" depending on if I'm in free roam or PvP. Seems to work pretty good for me with express rounds for my schofields & lancaster.

So focus fire is worth it you reckon? Atm I'm switching between slippery and s&s

hotrats773

NWO is my literal lifesaver in free roam. Once I see the hat fly off, I know what to do and can attack or take evasive measures.

Then with Horseman and PIB, it's a game.

Definitely use them when you can because:

1. Everyone else is and will have an advantage over you

2. See #1

Ektope
9 minutes ago, GenericGTAO said:

I use unblinking eye...and I always have 20 potent sanke oils.  Didnt know about the drain from damage, and to be honest, anyone using pistols is going to be bolt actioned into oblivion... I wreck high levels in showdowns all the time, PIB is worthless in showdowns because 90-95% of encounters are in lockon range.  Slippery Bastard has the fast drain.  Last I checked.  If I was one on one in freemode with a slippery person, which is so rare, I would just switch to paint it black...and rain tomahawks on him until he is forced to change as well.  Slippery bastard in showdowns is probably alright as long as you dont mind running out of tonics and buying tobacco.  I dont buy anything.  I usuallly run out of health tonics before snake oils.  And when i do, I dont play showdowns.

I use Unblinking Eye III too, when using Slippery III or Paint It Black III.

Not knowing these things is the problem. Better knowledge of PvP is how to win and have experience advantage. When I was Rank 3+, I did very well because I knew all these little things. It got to the point that I didn't need cards to win at all.

Just because you rekt or kill higher levels, it doesn't mean you won. In Showdown Series Large, Name Your Weapon (Free For All) on Tall Trees, Paint It Black III dominates. If you see someone with Slow and Steady III, just throw a Tomahawk at him. See someone with Slippery III? Just throw a Tomahawk at him. Don't have Tomahawk? Use Paint It Black III with Double Barrelled Shotgun at mid-range with headshots or body shots, while you with Slow and Steady III need to get closer. There is no 100% accuracy in Slow and Steady III so Shotguns are terrible at mid range. Paint It Black III can get someone over 100+ points on Tall Trees. It doesn't matter if you kill someone with Slow and Steady III. Winning matters more. At range, the Paint It Black III guy would have 100% accuracy in their aiming reticule while your Bolt Action has bloom in Slow and Steady III. But the Rifles are accurate anyway, more than Repeaters. 

Paint It Black III is useful in all Showdown Series Large, Gun Rush, Spoils of War and Free Roam. It's not pointless 90% or 95%. To be honest, Paint It Black III is mostly used in lock-on range. Hold LT to auto-aim, click RS to switch on Paint It Black III, move RS upwards, shoot RT. There you go. Paint It Black III is within lock-on. But outside lock-on is a bonus, with preparation and not getting shot back.

Ronin Ogami
4 minutes ago, Chrismads said:

So focus fire is worth it you reckon? Atm I'm switching between slippery and s&s

I seem to have to shoot less. That's always a good thing. & Headshots seem more powerful now.

Chrismads
1 minute ago, Ronin Ogami said:

I seem to have to shoot less. That's always a good thing. & Headshots seem more powerful now.

I'll add it to the list of cards i need to buy then. I never run out of things I wanna buy, but I run out of cash everytime I log on

Ektope
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Chrismads said:

I'm using Focus Fire with Sniper Build.

Focus Fire III + Landon's Patience III + Peak Condition III + Never Without One III.

I have these odd moments with Carcano and Rolling Block where I'm using High Velocity / Split Point because Express ran out, Or it's Regular rounds in Name Your Weapon. Without Express and without Landon's Patience III Buff, I sometimes cannot one-shot on body. So I would chug Potent Snake Oil and switch on Focus Fire III.

Edited by Ektope

Bakkerbaard
20 hours ago, Assblaster said:

Level up (if you haven't), figure out the best combos for you, then you'll have your level playing field. 😉

There in lies the problem. For any kind of significant levelling up I have to PvP and for any significant PvPing I have to use Ability Cards and for any significant Ability Cards I have to level up.

But yeah, it look like a "can't beat 'em, join 'em" kind of situation.

20 hours ago, Chrismads said:

Noone could hit him cause he had Slippery Bastard on.

I think those moments are fun as hell, and I really like the cards because of that.

That just feels unfair to me. Which, I do admit, is rooted in my own ineptness. I realise full well that it's simply proper use of game mechanics, but the wave of powerlessness that flows over me when I see my one good headshot of the match result in a comically launched hat takes me to the brink of rage-quitting. The only game that ever made me rage-quit is Driver: San Francisco and it's a shameful, childish feeling.

And then there's the frustation of playing a cowboy experience, forcing me to keep my weight up and my horse fed and my dick clean only to see that thrown out the window when a flat cap stops a bullet.

20 hours ago, Chrismads said:

Atm its go with the flow or have a very hard time in pvp.

I will always have a hard time in PvP, no matter the flow I go. But I suppose it's less tiring than swimming against it. ;o)

14 hours ago, GenericGTAO said:

You should by default go into dead eye as you are aiming prior to firing. 

Honestly, I don't know how you kids do it.

This is how an old man plays: find where those shots are coming from, aim, flick up for headshot, pull trigger. Now I have to add "click for dead-eye"? 

I'm not being a dick here, but it just amazes me that alot of my opponents manage to this in the time it takes me to press L2 and aim.

14 hours ago, GenericGTAO said:

The best is people complaining like they couldnt use it themselves.  Which is kindve this thread, but...yeah, I like the cards.

Actually, that is what this thread is. I tried to slip a question in there to not make myself seem so petty, but I mainly just needed to bitch about it. ;o)

10 hours ago, Rammer2k said:

Of course, eventually, everyone is gonna have pretty much the same loadout, and tiers so it won't really matter. 

I've found this in Crossout (or indeed any game that allows for a metabuild), eventually you're gonna see all of the same "best" builds. And by that time you'll have sunk three leather dusters and an Arabian into those cards just to play on normal.

10 hours ago, Ektope said:

All it takes is one very experienced player in a team of noobies to turn the tides of the battle.

I am never that player. I am your team of noobies.

I am this.

I will try for the objective a match sets, but there's just so many people hellbent on preventing me. Except for Spoil Of War, which I still only get with too little people to allow for proper objective hunting, the f*cking irony.

10 hours ago, Ektope said:

The drain is massive, that's why Slow and Steady III isn't as good anymore. Getting shot once in Slow and Steady III, it takes away 20% to 30% off your Dead Eye bar.

Suppose I didn't use dead-eye. Ever. Would it then be useful?

That's another thing I've already slightly touched on. What kind of advantage does dead-eye give you online? To mee it seems one more button I have to press before I can start killing.

10 hours ago, Ronin Ogami said:

I run "Focus fire" with "NWO", "Peak Condition", & switch out "Horseman" & "Strange Medicine" depending on if I'm in free roam or PvP.

So now I'm also required to switch out cardsets per situation? Damn man, the fun just doesn't stop.

I haven't looked at these cards in a long time, but I I don't remember if there's something like a couple of favourite setups you can save. Is there?

10 hours ago, Ronin Ogami said:

Seems to work pretty good for me with express rounds for my schofields & lancaster.

Call me old fashioned, but I've always enjoyed the effectiveness of regular round makes regular hole in regular head. I never expected this needing to be improved upon.

Anyway, what I'm gatherinng from this is that I'm gonna do alot of calculations and setups.

I'll have a look into it right now. pr0n can wait.

Assblaster
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bakkerbaard said:
22 hours ago, Assblaster said:

Level up (if you haven't), figure out the best combos for you, then you'll have your level playing field. 😉

There in lies the problem. For any kind of significant levelling up I have to PvP and for any significant PvPing I have to use Ability Cards and for any significant Ability Cards I have to level up.

But yeah, it look like a "can't beat 'em, join 'em" kind of situation.

You can mix it up. Do some pvp modes, but also you can replay story missions, and do stranger missions. You get gold & xp from all of that. You can also hunt: shoot every animal, every bird, squirrel, boar, gator, deer. Everything shot & killed gives xp.

Meanwhile, for freeroam, adopt the following tactic. First, get a pump shotgun (if you haven't one). Unlike the rare shotgun, it can be upgraded & deals great damage. Then if you see any potential adversary approaching, either avoid him or else quickly duck for cover. Don't go to him, let him come to you. If conflict is inevitable, get ready. Once he's in close range, blast for the body. No matter what cards he has, a blast or two to the body at point-blank range with a scattergun means he dies. 

There you go! If you love the game as I do, and love to freeroam as much as I do (for role-playing or just hunting & fishing), this approach will slowly level you up and get you cash. And it'll keep you from dying in the process. It's not a perfect game, I agree, but why not make the most of it, if you have as much fun with it as I do.

Edited by Assblaster

GenericGTAO

@EktopeThe delay of PIB is a big reason is another reason its not any good.  And while I can simply say 90-95% of encounters occur in lock range, I dont have actual proof other than my own experience.   I know for a fact, I can count on one hand the number of times I have been in matches and someone killed me outside of lock on range in show downs.  I have played them a lot.  I dont have the exact number but my award say 89 wins.  In lock range, PIB 100% accuary means the damage out put is only slightly better than a slow and steady player.   Painting someone even in lock on range takes a split second longer than simply locking on and firing, and if you fire before the X appears you are wasting it anyway.  I rarely wait for the bloom to set, I lock, I fire, the enemy usually dies.  There is not a gun apart from maybe a double barrell shotgun where the delay isnt a huge negative to PIB. 

I would prefer opponents to use PIB, so recommend away, but most players in lock range against SnS are going down with PIB equipped.  

Its actually surprising how many people consider dead eye to be cheating or something you should agree to use or not use depending on whether they are losing or winning. 

Rammer2k

I'm waiting for the 500 Gold ability card that lets you manually paint targets in dead eye, and have lock on as well like in Story Mode.  I'm sure Rockstar would love to release something like that.

B Dawg
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Bakkerbaard said:

Solution: Don't play PVP games that require you to level up/buy stuff/grind to be competitive. That makes them sh*tty and not worth playing imo.

Edited by B Dawg